Possible transfer?

6,479 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Baygbear
Baygbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://floridagators.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster/ariel-johnson/11716

Raoul listed Ariel as a transfer and I noticed she went to St. Mary's so was wondering if anyone knows if we are looking to add any short term prospects for the guard position? Since Charmin and Co. have recruited heavily in the post and not really for the guard position I was wondering what people thought of bringing in an experienced guard who could fill the void for a couple years.
wvitbear
I don't think I would offer. Only started 9 out of 30 games for a not very good team. Shot only 19.8% from three point land. I think we could do better.
Schroeder71
wvitbear-I agree with you. Ariel possessed the 2nd lowest FG % of the eight players that played double-digit minutes. Florida only shot 59% collectively on its free throws and she was in the mid-sixties. Her best asset seems to be her athleticism/speed. GO BEARS!
WC Bear
Not sure if Charmin is looking for grad transfers but if she is, I see that PG Kyra Lambert from Duke and a former Stanford recruit, has entered her name in the transfer portal.
wbbilluminati
WC Bear said:

Not sure if Charmin is looking for grad transfers but if she is, I see that PG Kyra Lambert from Duke and a former Stanford recruit, has entered her name in the transfer portal.
I saw Lambert play before her injuries. She was very good, I might compare her to that Stanford PG from a few years back Orrange.
WC Bear
It also appears that Dijonai Carrington of Stanford has entered her name in the transfer portal. I seem to recall that she was a Cal recruit. Again, I'm nor sure what Charmin's master plan is but a couple of good grad transfers couldn't hurt given the very young roster.
3Cats4CAL
I can't imagine her accepting an offer to play for her "Alma Mater"s rival ? Wonder how furd fans would react ?
annarborbear
3Cats4CAL said:

I can't imagine her accepting an offer to play for her "Alma Mater"s rival ? Wonder how furd fans would react ?
Charmin went to Stanford and Lauren Greif coached at Stanford after graduating from here. We might have a grad degree that would be attractive, and playing time would be available. Could also stay in the Bay Area if she likes it here.

Hopefully, Furd fans would really hate to see it happen, which would be an added bonus for us.
bobbk
Lauren was the Stanford Video Director not a coach. Wonderful outgoing person

SFCALBear72
I believe that Dijonai Carrington was out most of the year with an injury. Wondering if she has fully recovered.
IssyBear
3Cats4CAL said:

Two words: Brendan Scarlett
Californium
WC Bear said:

... I might compare her to that Stanford PG from a few years back Orrange.

yeah, Orrange was the new bllack. :p
3Cats4CAL
I wonder if Carrington would choose to go to UCSD since she is from San Diego? Can you imagine if she chose Oregon ???
OBear073akaSMFan
3Cats4CAL said:

Can you imagine if she chose Oregon ???
I think lots of excitement was playing with SI and maybe for a Nike team. With Si leaving hopefully they will get less recruits.
stu
OBear073akaSMFan said:

3Cats4CAL said:

Can you imagine if she chose Oregon ???
I think lots of excitement was playing for SI and maybe for a Nike team. With Si leaving hopefully they will get less recruits.
Washington dropped a bit after Plum left.
puget sound cal fan
...but she's planning to leave the furd so I don't know that tree fans' feelings would be much of a factor for her.
3Cats4CAL
I didn't mean whether Furd fans 'reaction if she came to Cal would affect her decision. Rather that as a former Furd player who Cal was always "school rival" would she even consider the idea to come to Cal vs going to a non Pac 12 school. Even other Pac 12 schools like Az, USC, etc didn't have the rivalry like Cal vs Furd. Would she play for a team that she tried to beat these past years?
BearBint
"Would she play for a team that she tried to beat these past years?"

I don't know--Charmin coaches Cal (admittedly, her Palo Alto days are 20-odd years ago). Let's hope D.C. was secretly regretting she hadn't become a Bear.
"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
Baygbear
Does anyone know if Ashley Chevalier was considering Cal at all during the recruiting process? She is Gennifer Brandon's sister, and since Texas just fired their head coach I'm curious if she re-opens her recruitment if we would be considered.
3Cats4CAL
WC Bear said:

It also appears that Dijonai Carrington of Stanford has entered her name in the transfer portal. I seem to recall that she was a Cal recruit. Again, I'm nor sure what Charmin's master plan is but a couple of good grad transfers couldn't hurt given the very young roster.
Rebkell boards show she narrowed to UConn, Oregon and Baylor.
wbbilluminati
kjimenez707 said:

Does anyone know if Ashley Chevalier was considering Cal at all during the recruiting process? She is Gennifer Brandon's sister, and since Texas just fired their head coach I'm curious if she re-opens her recruitment if we would be considered.

oh wow I didn't know about that connection.

Well, she committed to Texas early. Not really sure since LG's recruiting was soooo different from Charmin's approach plus April might not have arrived by the time Ashley committed to Texas. I'd like to see Ashley switch to Cal, but I'm sure the coaching change is viewed as a big upgrade at Texas.
ncbears
3Cats4CAL said:

WC Bear said:

Rebkell boards show she narrowed to UConn, Oregon and Baylor.
There must be some story behind the Carrington transfer.
Schroeder71
Ariel Johnson is no longer a member of the Florida Gators basketball team. Evidently she did transfer but i could not find her final destination. Anyone know where she landed? How about her former St Marys of Stockton teammate, Naje Murray?
Baygbear
She's now at LMU.

https://lmulions.com/news/2020/4/15/lmu-womens-basketball-signs-three.aspx
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.