Story Poster
Photo by Mike Soko / Press Enterprise
Cal Women's Basketball

Cal Women's Hoops Offers 2021 Centennial Guard Jayda Curry

May 11, 2020

Cal women’s hoops extended their latest 2021 offer today to 5'7" Corona Centennial guard Jayda Curry.

The talented combo guard was excited about the offer from the Bears.

“i love the coaching staff and the vibe i’ve gotten from them so far. They’re great people and can’t wait to learn more about the program,” said Curry.

WIth it still being a bit early in the recruiting process, the talented junior is just looking for the right situation to add her skills. What’s she primarily looking for?

“Honestly, somewhere where i know i can make an impact on the program right away,” said the 2020 Press Enterprise Player of the Year. Somewhere where i feel comfortable with the team and the coaching staff -a second family type of feel.”

Curry’s played both point and shooting guard and is equally comfortable with both, though with her size, the one is her likely destination at the next level.

As a junior, Curry added 22.4 poubts, 2.9 assists, 5.2 rebounds and 2.1 steals per game, helping lead Centennial to the state Open Division playoffs before falling to Etiwanda and finishing 26-6.

As for her preferred timing for a commitment?

“Honestly, i don’t have a certain date or time for commitment,” said Curry. I’m just taking my time and enjoying the process.”

Other stories:

Cal's Virtual Fanfest produces some interesting observations

Washington DT Jacob Schuster Talks Recruiting, Recent Offers

Cal Women's Hoops Offers 2021 Centennial Guard Jayda Curry

15,450 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by ncbears
IssyBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What is her size?
annarborbear
One source says 5'7". Another says 5'6. Highlight film shows an aggressive scorer. Apparently an excellent student/high GPA.
wbbilluminati
I mentioned her in one of the recruiting threads. She was all over the Cal Hi Sports lists in their review of the past season
SFCALBear72
We've had past recruiting success in this part of Southern California (Inland Empire): Jaelyn Brown (Murrietta), Jazlen Green (Upland), and, of course, Layshia Clarendon (San Bernardino).
CalFanatic
Would be a perfect addition after our star studded, post heavy 2020 class.
Schroeder71
I was the second to post here last night and my post has disappeared?
Ccajon2
Schroeder71 said:

I was the second to post here last night and my post has disappeared?

Mods on here are getting too heavy handed, if what you said warranted a post remove. You didn't say anything I wouldn't have said.

That being said, looks like a great get if the young lady committs.
wbbilluminati
Harriel just committed to Stanford as expected.
CalFanatic
wbbilluminati said:

Harriel just committed to Stanford as expected.
Good for her and as you said, completely expected.

So Charmin's comments about a NorCal prospect she expects to land.... has to either be Mastrov or Horstmeyer. Could it be anyone else that I am missing?
wbbilluminati
Not in the mix for the grad transfer PG Perez https://instagr.am/p/B_vry3RhF12
ClayK
Curry is good but tiny ... not the kind of player who's likely to be all Pac-12 but could develop into a solid contributor.
mbBear
ClayK said:

Curry is good but tiny ... not the kind of player who's likely to be all Pac-12 but could develop into a solid contributor.
Wasn't Brittany Boyd the same size?
ClayK
Brittany is bigger than Curry ... maybe two inches taller. Maybe three ...
Schroeder71
https://www.maxpreps.com/games/2-19-2020/girls-basketball-winter-19-20/centennial-vs-long-beach-poly.htm?c=S_YzIUUJYEantDKNzia6Lw#tab=box-score&schoolid=

Jayda Curry is a scorer as a PG. She took a ton of shots per game and averaged only a couple of assists. Her stats look decent for the overall season but if one reviews her four box scores during the CIF Southern Section playoffs against top teams in the state, she had to force more shots while shooting a lower percentage. Her two point field goal % and free throw % were solid but her three point shooting was abysmal.

https://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/centennial-huskies-(corona,ca)/girls-basketball/stats.htm

Overall-Centennial of Corona was the #8 ranked team in the state of CA, finishing 26-6. They return their top four scorers next season so they good move up... On a different team with more talent, she might not have to take 25 FG attempts (including 8-9 treys) per game. Curry was definitely her team's #1 scoring option.

Curry is not ranked in the top 100 players by ESPN's HoopGurlz service for the Class of 2021. GO BEARS!
CalFanatic
I'm not particularly worried about ranking services anymore (although it is great bragging rights). Look at Jazlen Green. She was on zero ranking sites/lists.

She was one of the best Fr. guard in the conference this past season.
mbBear
ClayK said:

Brittany is bigger than Curry ... maybe two inches taller. Maybe three ...
I see that Brittany is listed as 5-9 everywhere...so yes....
Ashfield63
CalFanatic said:

I'm not particularly worried about ranking services anymore (although it is great bragging rights). Look at Jazlen Green. She was on zero ranking sites/lists.

She was one of the best Fr. guard in the conference this past season.
Jazzie said she fell off the radar due to having an injury. She improved during the season, and I would think she could be a wing. She and Cailyn can score, and make Three-Pointers! GO BEARS...
GGV
wvitbear
Boyd was extremely strong too. If I wanted her to represent a smaller player it would be Aarion McDonald. But not as quick.

I usually don't like to comment on players I haven't seen in person.
wvitbear
As far as who's left in Northern cal I would say not much. Kennedy Johnson is the highest rated. I have seen her but I think she was ailing. I wouldn't probably sign her.

Most upside would probably be Hunter Hernandez of Mitty whom I have never seen play. But Clay likes her and she was hurt most of the year. She won't be seen this summer and who knows about the winter.
GATC
wvitbear said:

Boyd was extremely strong too. If I wanted her to represent a smaller player it would be Aarion McDonald. But not as quick.

I usually don't like to comment on players I haven't seen in person.
Curry looks to be about the same size as Jordin Canada.
wbbilluminati
ClayK said:

This was my impression. Seems like Leilani in that she's a bit small and not a dominant athleticism/quickness like Boyd but maybe a better shooter than Leilani.
ClayK
Kennedy Johnson is a superb high school player -- she has tortured Miramonte -- but she may be a tweener at the next level. She's 5-10 and though she's added some perimeter to her game, I'm not sure she's a Pac-12 wing.

Hunter Hernandez showed a lot of promise as a sophomore, but never looked 100% last year. She's a wing, but quickness will be the issue for her. Nice all-around player who can do a bit of everything, and not afraid to be physical.

And I have to add Mia Mastrov, who I coach at Miramonte, so I'm biased. A great defender, left-handed, decent offensive game (can make open threes and get to the rim).

And there are several other very good players, but Hernandez and Johnson were mentioned, and I couldn't leave out Mastrov.
annarborbear
Curry has just picked up her second PAC12 offer - Washington Huskies.
wvitbear
Clay, I have already mentioned Mastrov. Who is ranked higher. I mentioned the others because they were not in the top 3. I really like Mastrov.
ClayK
No worries.

Here's another thing about Mia: She may not be the perfect player but she is almost always the first to the floor to get a loose ball.
bearwbbfan
Curry's HS team has some very impressive wins:
- Windward (43 points), which has the #1 2023 player, a top-100 2020 kid headed to Gonzaga, and I'm sure they have others
- Grandview (28 points), has the #1 2022 player, Lauren Betts, and another top-50 2021 post going to Iowa.
- Garfield (27 points), not sure if Dalayah played, but they also have a kid going to Michigan.
- Lynwood (21 points), they have Rayah Marshall, a top-2021 kid.

Curry put up big numbers against great teams and more importantly led her team to wins.
CalFanatic
bearwbbfan said:

Curry's HS team has some very impressive wins:
- Windward (43 points), which has the #1 2023 player, a top-100 2020 kid headed to Gonzaga, and I'm sure they have others
- Grandview (28 points), has the #1 2022 player, Lauren Betts, and another top-50 2021 post going to Iowa.
- Garfield (27 points), not sure if Dalayah played, but they also have a kid going to Michigan.
- Lynwood (21 points), they have Rayah Marshall, a top-2021 kid.

Curry put up big numbers against great teams and more importantly led her team to wins.
Will gladly welcome another Curry to the Bay Area. Those are some seriously impressive numbers. Curry scored 27 against Garfield... the Garfield team game up 40 points total in their state championship win.
ncbears
Mastrov to Cal. See other threads
puget sound cal fan
Yes, but Curry may have been one of the designated scorer for her team, which would have had her taking a lot of shots. It would be great to have a real scorer from the perimeter at PG. I trust Charmin & Co's judgement to know who can play, and where. Would be a dynamic duo with Mastrov.
ncbears
Curry to Cal too. See other threads!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.