Mia Mastrov commits to Cal!

10,319 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by wbbilluminati
bearwbbfan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFCALBear72
Nice Friday surprise!! Welcome Mia!!

Go Bears!!
ncbears
Very exciting. Yay ClayK!
HoopDreams
Big time recruit and local player!

Nice to sign a guard with length and another good defender
OBear073akaSMFan
Wow!! Happy to keep a local recruit. Mia..welcome to CAL!

Go Bears!
Ashfield63
Just saw this on Raoul........great news! So Happy Mia Mastrov will be a Bear....Congratulations....
GGV
Ashfield63
Ashfield63 said:

Just saw this on Raoul........great news! So Happy Mia Mastrov will be a Bear....Congratulations....
Mia had offers from Kentucky, Washington State, Princeton and others.....I was hoping Cal would recruit a local WBB player......I live in Orinda, and was at the banquet when Debbie Flandermeyer was installed into Miramonte's Hall of Fame. She played center for Harvard, and is in their Hall of Fame. Mia will continue the tradition of great basketball players from Miramonte.
wvitbear
I saw her earlier in the year. And I liked her. Left handed. Can handle the ball. Good defensively and I think she can shoot the three. She was getting over mono when I saw her so she sagged a little in the second half.
wvitbear
And she was playing a very athletic team, BOD. She was guarding the top Northern cal player in the 2022 class.
GATC
wvitbear said:

And she was playing a very athletic team, BOD. She was guarding the top Northern cal player in the 2022 class.

Fantastic. Great fit.
MoragaBear
Staff
As a Miramonte and Cal alum, you know I'm pumped. I've seen tons of Miramonte hoops games over the years. Talked to Mia a little while ago and got some thoughts from Kelly Sopak so I'll have a story out in the next day or so.
calbear80
Questions From a Casual (read uninformed) Cal WBB Fan:
. 2020 or 2021 or 2022?
. Height?
. Stats? Specially three point shooting stats?
. Ranking? 3 or 4 or 5 star?

Go Bears!

wbbilluminati
calbear80 said:

Questions From a Casual (read uninformed) Cal WBB Fan:
. 2020 or 2021 or 2022?
. Height?
. Stats? Specially three point shooting stats?
. Ranking? 3 or 4 or 5 star?

Go Bears!

5'11"
A skilled all-around guard, high motor on defense
Not ranked in the top 100 but 2nd best prospect in NorCal
Likely 4-star

Oregon State had a guard Gabriella Hanson who was also unranked in HS but a great career as a starter for their Final 4 team. I'd love to see Mia have that type of impact for Cal
CalFanatic
I begged, I PLEADED for LG to land athletes like Mastrov.

After landing the 6th best class in the nation, Charmin casually lands the highest IQ basketball recruit in Northern California.

NEVER LET CS LEAVE!!! I will personally pay her salary adjustment #badass
CalFanatic
Like...can we just take a step back and look at the recruiting of the last two years? It is insane. Is it the new staff? Is it April? Is it Charmin's message? It was constant disappointment after the 2014 class with LG. Something changed.
wvitbear
Is a 4 star recruit per Nor Cal prep. I'm surprised she is not in top 100. However, the mono may have affected the previous summer. Clay said April was at their games so they know her.
Finnish Oski
Quote:

I'm surprised she is not in top 100.
According to Max Preps she's ranked 107th nationally, so not far off.
"I'm just here so I won't get fined."
Gkhoury2325
It appears Coach Smith, April and the rest of the coaching have done an excellent job of identifying women they want in the program and closing. They have done an incredible job.

I hope their Practice structure, player development is very strong. I also hope Coach Smith's in game coaching adjustments and strategy becomes very strong. Good luck to all the women playing in the program.
stu
The descriptions of Mia remind me of Jorge Gutierrez, except she's better known. What a catch!
ClayK
Great new for Mia and Cal ...

She could be an elite perimeter defender. Solid three-point shooter, good footwork around the basket, and lefthanded always helps.

As with any young player, must adjust to the speed and strength of college players but the potential for success at the Pac-12 level is clearly present.
Schroeder71
Miramonte's Mia Mastrov chooses to stay home at Cal. I did not see that one happening...ClayK, wvitbear & MoragaBear were high on her but I have yet to see her play. Does she have a video? She definitely sounds like she is a fundamentally sound player and is a tough defender. GO BEARS!
Ashfield63
April brought in Leilani McCintosh, who was on her way to Pepperdine, but was disappointed as the HC had left a year ago. April established a relationship when she was recruiting for Loyola. Michelle Oniyah said she knew April when she was at Arizona. Michelle said April called her all of the time. I am sure April has been influenial with all of the new recruits. Charmin and April are sharp, and stress the educational opportunities at CAL. It seems to me they are developing a team of unique and intelligent Student/Athletes. The entire must be a good recruitment team. LG did bring in Kianna Smith and Mercedes Forbes. I hope Kianni Smith is successful at Louisville as they are guard heavy and signed a top player from the 2020 class. Mercedes Forbes could shoot three pointers, but I think Harvard is a better match for her basketball skills. I find the personalities of thenowsophomores and the incoming freshman as being pretty charming. The Arizona and Arizona State games showed the development of the team after a tough Pac-12 season. I am very hopeful for the future of CAL WBB!
MoragaBear
Staff
Schroeder71 said:

Miramonte's Mia Mastrov chooses to stay home at Cal. I did not see that one happening...ClayK, wvitbear & MoragaBear were high on her but I have yet to see her play. Does she have a video? She definitely sounds like she is a fundamentally sound player and is a tough defender. GO BEARS!
I've seen her play several times. She's not the kind of player who will likely put the team on her back but a very good piece of the puzzle that this roster needed with her unique skill sets and well-rounded game.

I'm trying to get some video for the commitment story today.
Schroeder71
Thanks, MB! I visited Max Preps and they have a couple of highlites of her hitting three-pointers from the right corner and driving to the basket to finish either in the half court or finishing a layup on a fast break.
https://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/mia-mastrov/vxK5f8dTEeeT-Oz0u-e-FA/girls-basketball/stats.htm#year=19-20

Btw-my niece's daughter, Courtni Thompson, a four year starter for Pinewood, commited to UCSD!
https://norcalpreps.forums.rivals.com/threads/courtni-thompson-commits-to-uc-san-diego.24366/

GO BEARS!
wvitbear
I thought we were after two players in Northern Cal. When Antelope's Harriel committed to Stanford, that left one. Since I knew we were recruiting her, I had hopes as last fall, Charmin told me she hoped to sign a player from Northern Cal. Ergo, there was reason to hope.

I have seen both play. I saw Harriel in her sophomore year and Mastrov in her junior year. Harriel was a little out of control but athletically was great match. Mastrov was a good athlete too. Had a little bit better game. Is a little taller (although Harriel could have grown). Mastrov is a little bit better defender. Miramonte plays a little bit better team offense than Antelope. Antelope is a little more undisciplined.

Would be nice to see Miramonte play this year if girls basketball exists in Northern Cal. If you see them play BOD, you can watch Amaya Bonner, a 6 foot guard who is the top rated player in the Northern Cal class for 2022.Going into this year I had liked Mastrove's game better but I understand that Bonner has improved her shooting and that would make a difference. And last I heard, we are recruiting her.
HoopDreams
stu said:

The descriptions of Mia remind me of Jorge Gutierrez, except she's better known. What a catch!
well that's an interesting comparison

what about her makes you say that? (besides that part of her rep is good defense)
HoopDreams
full game v Oakland Tech

Mia played almost all the minutes until the 4th Q when the game was over

She is a good ball handler, passer, shooter and defender, playing 1-3 position

Oakland Tech had their best defender on her all game, but she was stayed poised, hit open shots, was secure with the ball, made good decisions and overall showed good court vision

I think she needs to get stronger and finish better at the rim, but she was clearly the best player on the court

wvitbear
Although she is a good defender, she doesn't remind me of Jorge. Jorge was full of energy. Mia is more subtle with her defense. And as a freshman, I think she has a better all around game. But we will see when she meets the big girls (and don't yell at me because I would say Jorge had to meet the big boys).
Richmondbear2
Related to Mark Mastrov?
wvitbear
She mentions her grandfather played for Pete Newall. Is that Mark?
stu
HoopDreams said:

stu said:

well that's an interesting comparison

what about her makes you say that? (besides that part of her rep is good defense)
Wishful thinking.

I've never seen Mia play but I liked the comments about high-motor defense and going after loose balls. IMHO what distinguished Jorge was attitude and maybe Mia has that.
Richmondbear2
Mark Mastrov is founder/CEO of 24 Hour Fitness and part owner of the Sacramento Kings
MoragaBear
Staff
Richmondbear2 said:

Mark Mastrov is founder/CEO of 24 Hour Fitness and part owner of the Sacramento Kings
Yes, that's her father. And her grandfather is Bert Mastrov, former Cal hoops player under Pete Newell, as the story notes. Her brother Mason will be playing football for SMU in 2020.
wbbilluminati
MoragaBear said:

Richmondbear2 said:

Yes, that's her father. And her grandfather is Bert Mastrov, former Cal hoops player under Pete Newell, as the story notes. Her brother Mason will be playing football for SMU in 2020.
Oh wow that's wild I had no idea
CalFanatic
I am still elated with this commit. Cal is going to be so, so good in the next few years.

Praying we have some form of a season this year...

https://www.si.com/college/cal/basketball/mia-mastrov-to-cal
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.