Tentative Nonconference Schedule

1,880 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by wbbilluminati
WayneBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
There's lots of info from Charmin in this article on practices to date and impressions of each freshmen.

She also briefly discusses our 3-game nonconference schedule (all games in Berkeley; schedule is tentative as is everything else this season):

11/25 San Jose State
11/29 Cal State Bakersfield
12/10 San Francisco
stu
Thanks for posting!
HoopDreams
this is actually good news as we absolutely need one of the new guards to be college ready as they will need to play a lot...

"Somewhat surprisingly, Smith said Elznitz is the newcomer most ready to make an immediate impact."
wvitbear
Interesting interview. Surprising that Alma Elsnitz is the furthest advanced of the players. Also states that they expect contributions from Crocker meaning her foot was not as damaged as first thought.
Ashfield63
Alma Elsnitz spent her high school years at a federation supported basketball school, RIG Lulea(city). It was an hour's flight from her home. Last season she scored 16.4 points per game(45.9%) from the field and shot 32.4 from the arc. Her senior year is described as a step above the typical high school ball. During the summer of 2019 she played on Sweden's U19 National Team. It is so good she is "College Ready"........
Ashfield63
wvitbear said:

Interesting interview. Surprising that Alma Elsnitz is the furthest advanced of the players. Also states that they expect contributions from Crocker meaning her foot was not as damaged as first thought.
This is good news. Cailyn and Jazzie Green lit it up at the end of the season. Cailyn became a starter after Sara A. was injured. They were strong factors in the Pac-12 winning games, Utah, Arizona(last regular game of the season), and the upset victory over Arizona State on the first day of the tournament. They played with confidence, and were fearless!
smh
not to be missed This Article* also has a couple short zoom-style Q/A of coach, runtime ~2 + 4 mins.

^ This Article -> "SI CalSportsReport" by WayneBear at start of thread

bonus thanks to anyone who reconizes gray-beard host's backstory [Jake Curtis maybe] ?
JC confirmatory..
Quote:

About Me:
After growing up in Bethlehem, Pa., I graduated from Princeton Univerity before embarking on what has become a 40-year sports writing career. I worked at several smaller papers before getting a job in the San Francisco Chronicle Sports Department. During my 27 years with the Chronicle I covered virtually every sport, but spent most of my time as a beat writer for Cal and Stanford football and basketball. I also represented the Chronicle while covering numerous Final Fours, several national championship college football games, an NBA Finals, world championship boxing matches and a World Cup. I am particuarly proud of a profile of enigmatic Giants outfielder Kevin Mitchell, a 1992 recounting from the players' perspective of "The Play" that took place in the 1982 Cal-Stanford football game, and the sad story of a former San Jose State quarterback stricken with brain cancer. Since leaving the Chronicle of my own accord, I have been freelancing for a number of media outlets, but this opportunity with Maven caught my attention. It is a way to fully explore Cal athletics and the varied stories that accompany college sports.

Contact Email:
jakecurtis53@gmail.com
<phone>
Contact Address:
1119 Page Street, Berkeley, Calif. 94702
SpartanBear20
The online schedule shows San Jose State (11/25) as the only non-con game for now. San Jose State has been picked second in the Mountain West Conference preseason poll.

With Pac-12 play being continuous from the first week of December, it appears that Cal does intend to play non-con and Pac-12 games in the same weeks.
I cheer for the Bay's two blue and gold teams that are in neighboring counties. Can you name the other one?
wbbilluminati
Wow that's really exciting about Alma.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.