Swimming

8,266 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Schroeder71
bearchamp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Where are the results from yesterday and today in swimming????
SFCALBear72
Lol.

Try looking at Calbears.com.
Schroeder71
Exactly. GO BEARS!
Nasal Mucus Goldenbear
Quote:

Where are the results from yesterday and today in swimming????
For those info updates, we are entirely dependent upon the generosity of unpaid *Occasional volunteers, like you and me.

*Occasional since we've lost Ursus Arctos Californicus, whose time-consuming efforts we simply took for granted for YEARS.
PalyBear
https://swimswam.com/breakout-cal-freshman-gabriel-jett-wins-3-events-as-bears-route-arizona/

PalyBear
https://swimswam.com/isabel-ivey-wins-3-events-as-cal-women-defeat-arizona/

PalyBear
https://swimswam.com/bryce-mefford-makes-season-debut-as-cal-men-and-women-sweep-arizona-state/

PalyBear
https://calbears.com/news/2022/1/26/womens-swimming-diving-bears-bound-for-socal-swing.aspx

"Cal takes to the road this week, traveling to Los Angeles where the Golden Bears will face USC at 2 p.m. on Friday and UCLA at 12 noon on Saturday. Last year, Cal hosted both schools in two-day duals over the course of three days. The Bears defeated USC, 207-119, on Jan. 29-30, then topped UCLA, 218-119, Jan. 30-31 - the first scoring competitions of a pandemic-shortened dual-meet season. All-time, Cal holds a 26-16 series edge over USC and a 30-10 advantage over UCLA."
PalyBear
https://calbears.com/news/2022/1/26/mens-swimming-diving-david-marsh-joins-cal-staff-in-interim-role.aspx

"David Marsh, who led Auburn's swimming & diving programs to 12 combined NCAA men's and women's team titles, has joined Cal's staff in an interim role."
PalyBear
Schroeder71
USC is much improved as is Stanford. The Cardinal crushed the Bruins today by approximately 50 points. I'm interested to see how well USC fares vs Stanford as well as comparing the Bears & the Bruins. GO BEARS!
Schroeder71
Cal performed well on Saturday and defeated UCLA, 179.50-117.50 (62-point margin) in Westwood. Stanford also had a bigger margin (48) of victory over USC, 174-126. Stanford beat UCLA by 50 yesterday and Cal only triumped over USC by 20. I don't know what to make of all that...I would imagine that Cal & Stanford were stronger in different events. Any ideas? GO BEARS!
01-29-22 Cal at UCLA dual meet results (PDF) - California Golden Bears Athletics (calbears.com)
solobear
aaron_shackell I am super excited to announce my verbal commitment to the University of California Berkeley
PalyBear
calbearinamaze
PalyBear said:

+1000

GO BEARS!!!!
If you believe in forever
Then life is just a one-night stand
If there's a rock and roll heaven
Well you know they've got a hell of a band
PalyBear
Bears also beat UCSD in split squad action

Schroeder71
Cal men's team appears to be quite a bit stronger & deeper than the women's team. To crush USC on the road with a split squad by greater than 100 points is unbelievable. The Bear women squeaked over USC by 20.

What is the national ranking of the men as compared to the women? GO BEARS!
swan
Cal men are ranked #2, but may well have the strongest swimming team in college swimming. Texas, rated #1 has the strongest diving team, and a deep and talented swimming group
Cal women are well behind Virginia and Stanford but still should manage a top 5 placing at NCAAs.
PalyBear
Speaking of diving, anyone know where we stand with Cal's diving coach situation after Oleg Andriyuk resigned due to health reasons?
Chabbear
Murphy Bromberg, a four-time All-American at the University of Texas who captured the 2019 NCAA platform title as a senior, serves as Cal's interim diving coach for the 2021-22 season.

https://calbears.com/sports/mens-swimming-and-diving/roster/coaches/murphy-bromberg/5440
PalyBear
Lots going on this weekend

ByronBear
Oleg is back coaching my 12 yo son (and hopefully future Golden Bear) at the Stanford Diving Club.
PalyBear
PalyBear
Congratulations and Thank you Seniors!

Schroeder71
02-12-22 Cal vs. Stanford WSD dual meet (PDF) - California Golden Bears Athletics (calbears.com)

I watched the meet online and it was very hard fought/ competitive. The difference appeared to be the two freshmen Olympians for Stanford: Regan Smith & Torri Huske. The Cardinal has a dynamite freshmen recruit class that will be tough to compete with next season and beyond...Cal will hopefully be able to hold onto the second spot over USC. GO BEARS!
solobear
solobear
Today BigSwim result lists "Michael Jensen" swimming for the Bears as a SR!

Results
Schroeder71
I watched the MEN'S meet online and I was shocked that Stanford defeated Cal. I over-estimated the Bears and under-estimated the Cardinal. The top swimmers for Stanford were mostly freshmen and a couple sophomores. They'll be a powerhouse for years to come. The Pac12 Championship should be tight like today's meet. go bears!
swan
Schroeder71 said:

I watched the MEN'S meet online and I was shocked that Stanford defeated Cal. I over-estimated the Bears and under-estimated the Cardinal. The top swimmers for Stanford were mostly freshmen and a couple sophomores. They'll be a powerhouse for years to come. The Pac12 Championship should be tight like today's meet. go bears!

The Cal men actually scored more points than Stanford, but not enough to overcome the 32-0 result in diving. But your observation about a couple of extremely talented young swimmers on the farm is accurate. The Pac 12s will be tightly contested between Cal and Stanford, with Stanford benefitting hugely from the shocking absence of any competitive divers for the Bears. The lack of diving points for the Bears will also likely be a decisive factor at NCAAs.
coachdeke
Didn't Cal Lise because the 400 free relay dq?
OBear073akaSMFan
Yep. " The sky isn't falling yet".
swimmer19
coachdeke said:

Didn't Cal Lise because the 400 free relay dq?
Even without the DQ, still would have lost because we finished 2nd. Needed to win the relay to win the meet.
SoCalie
Cal didn't go with its strongest lineup.
swan
SoCalie said:

Cal didn't go with its strongest lineup.
It didn't help our cause having Whitley swim only the 200 Breast and Carr sitting out both individual backstroke events. But Affeld, Forst, MacAlister , Minakov, Roy and Shoults swam extremely well in front of a loud home crowd on senior day. But the main reason we lost is the diving point spread. A 32 point handicap was a bridge too far.

But I doubt Durden is worrying too much about duel meet results , although I believe he penciled out a win with his line-up. More of a concern is the fact that a number of potential NCAA scorers have yet to put themselves into qualifying range for NCAAs. Many guys will need to be rested before Pac 12s to shoot for qualifying times.
Schroeder71
You're correct about the diving points but it's been a deficit for both the men and the women for quite sometime.

Why wouldn't the swimmers be super motivated at the conference championships to try to reach the NCAA qualifying times? I don't understand. Also-there is no guarantee that they would attain those times by sitting
out the P12 Championships. If they sit out and Cal loses to Stanford, what kind of memory is that going to scar them with for life? Crazy, IMO.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.