Cal women's tennis upsets defending national champs, Pepperdine, 4-3!

1,708 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by LodeBear
Schroeder71
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Tennis Live Video - Pepperdine University Athletics (pepperdinewaves.com)

scroll down

Cal lost the doubles point and both #1 & #2 singles but swept the bottom four singles matches in straight sets.
I'm a novice fan when it comes to tennis but it appears to me that there's not a lot of difference between our top two singles players and the bottom four. The Bears are also without Jada Bui.
https://pepperdinewaves.com/sports/womens-tennis/roster/2021-22?&sort=class
GO BEARS!
coachdeke
Pepperdine lost to Texas in last year's national championship match. Texas is women's tennis defending national champion.
calbearinamaze
GO BEARS!!!!
swan

Great win for a Bear team that has been bolstered by the addition of two stellar freshmen, crafty lefty Katja Wiersholm and graceful Jessica Alsola both highly ranked recruits. Beating Pepperdine with their four top 100 players on their home turf is very impressive. Tennis fans should mark Feb. 27 on their calendar as the Bears host top ranked Texas who return virtually all of their top players from last years NCAA champion squad.
Jada Bui who played primarily at # 4 singles (and # 3 doubles) did not play at last weekend's Women's Invitational and also missed the Pepperdine match, She was with the team at the Winter invite so I guess she is injured. With Bui healthy, the Bears have 7 solid single players.

Schroeder71
coachdeke-I remember that Pepperdine upset UNC (ranked #1) after UNC eliminated Cal. Thank you for the correction.
Schroeder71
https://calbears.com/news/2022/1/25/womens-tennis-jessica-alsola-named-pac-12-player-of-the-week.aspx

Frosh Jessica Alsola was named Pac 12 tennis player of the week. GO BEARS!
puget sound cal fan
Impressive!
PalyBear
HoopDreams
I don't typically follow tennis, but their top team has caught my attention.
Hopefully I can make a match this year

after today, they don't play in Berkeley for a while, but here is part of their home schedule:

Schroeder71
Cal defeats Vandy, 4-0, and advances to ITA Indoor Nationals. GO BEARS!
No. 4 Cal Beats Vandy To Reach Indoor Nationals - California Golden Bears Athletics (calbears.com)
swan
Big wins posted by our super frosh pair, Jessica Alsola and Katja Wiersholm. Paired for a doubles victory and then posted first two singles victories, setting the stage for senior Julia Rosenquist to complete the 4-0 victory. Cal next plays at #14 Michigan before heading to National Indoors.

I also had a chance at the Vandy match to speak briefly to sophomore star Jada Bui who said she is practicing and hopes to get final medical clearance to start her season. I am guessing she will be in competition with Hannah Viller Moeller and Katja for a singles spot. but I really have no idea how match rosters are settled by our coaching staff.

With Rosenquist our only Senior, this team will be very competitive and fun to follow for years to come.
LodeBear
thanks swan. good to hear that jada is practicing and hopefully be cleared to play. they will bring her slowly along. this is a tough team. as strong as cal is from #3 to #6, #1 and #2 are weaker than the top teams top 2. Haley needs to play like when she was a freshman. ivanov will continue to get better. we will see how they do at ITA indoors. They play michigan in ann arbor tues and probably just go to madison wis. to ITA indoors. wll have to find the draw to see who they play first.. Go Bears!!.
Schroeder71
swan-I noticed the two freshmen's performances, too. Our #3 singles player has been winning in straight sets. The newer frosh, #5 single, beat Vandy's #96 rated player, 6-0 6-0. She didn't yield a point. As the season progresses, I could potentially see these two moving up the single's hierarchy. Cal's #1  junior singles players have been struggling the most with their opposition. To be honest, our #6 singles has been absolutely dominant, too.
LodeBear
Schroeder, the team is very balanced from #1 to # 6 and add jada and you have 7 players very similar strength wise but the freshman lack experience. the juniors are really good players, but are not in the top group of nationally ranked singles players. The top teams do like pepperdine. we just have stronger players #3 to 6. that is how we bear pepperdine. winning the doubles point will make life easier and then winning 3 of the 4 singles esp. #3 to 6 will keep us going. The two freshman will move up the ladder in the future. Jada and hannah were highly ranked jrs outside of the USA. that is why they played #3,4, or 5 last year. now the top 5 ranked 2 freshman in the USA are playing ahead of them. hannah did not get worse. when they play weaker teams this year they will move these players up and rest some of them. and the team will still win. trust amanda.
LodeBear
the freshman especially katja don't have any rankings yet. they will soon as they continue to play and win. hannah jada and julia will too. ivanov is ranked around 102. Haley is not ranked cause she plays #1 and has not had a winter 21 history. Haley has the potential to beat highly ranked players. she did that when she was a freshman. she played better end of last season. so we will see if she can continue to get better more consistently.. Sometimes players get minor injuries and that can affect their results even though they continue playing. I know that for a fact being a senior tournament tennis player. and so I donate yearly to the tennis program. Go Bears!!!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.