Softball signs impressive 2023 class

10,026 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by LodeBear
CalFanatic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
P Randi Roelling
IF Nailyn Marshall
C Alyssa Herrera
OF Holly Medina
1B Carly Raven
C Lagi Quiroga
1B Kyndal Todd

Tons of speed, power and one of the best pitchers in the entire 2023 class.

Also really excited about the addition of Lagi Quiroga. Watch any clips of her and you'll see a catcher that defensively appears to already be college ready. Cannon of an arm and extremely accurate.
CalFanatic
Here is the announcement:

https://t.co/oxrtvIhaha
HoopDreams
great class ... welcome to Cal !

Schroeder71
IMO, Chelsea Spencer & Co is upgrading the personnel on Cal softball. The breakthrough will come when the Bears identify a couple primetime pitchers. The southpaw entering next season might be one stalwart, but Cal will have a seven-member pitching staff in 2023 (if nobody departs). I 'll keep my fingers crossed. GO BEARS!
CalFanatic
https://hanfordsentinel.com/community/selma-kingsburg/sports/kingsburg-s-carly-raven-makes-a-golden-choice/article_e46f1099-dfa9-54a9-94cc-b74449185c4e.html

The quote re: Coach Spencer is why i'm convinced we will be back in the WCWS sooner rather than later. Welcome to Cal, Carly!
CalFanatic
I knew CCHS started their season this week. Just checked Maxpreps and Roelling produced 21 of her 24 outs via strikeout.

The program changes once she joins next year.
Schroeder71
I have been wondering how Chelsea will be able to bring in 7 new recruits when only Makena Smith graduates.
All that I can figure is that the players that are not playing this season will likely depart: Nicole Hammoude, Aleia Agbayani & Candace Yingling came in class of 2020. Others that came in that same class but are playing are Kennedy Thomas, Sophie Medellin, Kacey Zobac, D'Asha Saiki and transfer Hope Alley, Sona Halajian & Tatum Anzaldo. All of the Class of 2020 would have a Covid 5th year option but it probably depends upon their discussion with the coaching staff and where each student-athlete will graduate. This year 2023 would be that classes four year in school at Cal.

The last two named (Halajian & Anzaldo) DNP in 2020 due to injury but redshirted. The 2021 season served as their first year of eligibility utilized. They should be staying. HC Spencer would need three more from that list to graduate.

I'm guessing about this so if anybody actually knows what is happening, please feel free to share. I am speculating that Smith, Hammoude, Agbayani and Yingling will likely not return. This group totals four but 7 scholarship recruits are entering the program in the fall of 2023. Any ideas? I did notice that two catchers are among the new recruits so perhaps more than Makena Smith is departing among the catchers. Kacey Zobac and Kennedy Thomas are also members of the catchers. Alexis Bishop (Class of 2021) is also a catcher.

GO BEARS!
wvitbear
Question? The women's bball team gets an extra year because of covid. Is this true of the softball team. If so, Smith may not be gone.
Schroeder71
This is Makena Smith's 5th (Covid) year of playing. She began playing in spring of 2019.
wvitbear
Thanks.
CalFanatic
Random tangent (but maybe important?). I noticed CCH's #2 is actually a very talented pitcher from the local travel scene. 2026 Freshman Amaya Gustavis.

Maybe Cal can get a head start on the recruiting pipeline!
Intuit
2026 Amaya Gustavis Pitcher and First Base Softball Skills Vdeo Norcal Choppers - YouTube
wvitbear
A left handed catcher. Something dear to my heart.
CalFanatic
Some recruit highlights, according to Maxpreps:

Randi Roelling: 6-1 record, 41.2 innings pitched, 15 hits, 7bb/92k's (not a typo)
Holly Medina: .592 BA with 3 triples, 7 doubles, 17 stolen bases
Carly Raven: .462 BA with 3 triples, 6 stolen bases
Kyndal Todd: 3 home runs in 10 games

The 2024 recruits... I am hoping the stats are either incorrect... or the high school softball teams aren't where the shining takes place (travel ball). That's all I will say.
Shocky1
fanatic, know very little about softball, what's roelling mph on jugs/radar & how does that compare to elite college pitchers?

that k stat is unreal
CalFanatic
Shocky1 said:

fanatic, know very little about softball, what's roelling mph on jugs/radar & how does that compare to elite college pitchers?

that k stat is unreal
I've seen her twice and she throws hard...but not Jolene hard (68-70). She just has some nasty movement. Especially easy-west (curve-screw).

There's a reason she's one of the best pitchers in the nation and led the state in strikeouts last year!
59bear
CalFanatic said:

Shocky1 said:

that k stat is unreal
I've seen her twice and she throws hard...but not Jolene hard (68-70). She just has some nasty movement. Especially easy-west (curve-screw).

There's a reason she's one of the best pitchers in the nation and led the state in strikeouts last year!
In today's game movement/change-up are as (or more) important as velocity. Cat Osterman was the gold standard in the circle for over a decade throwing in the low/mid 60s.
CalFanatic
59bear said:

CalFanatic said:

Shocky1 said:

that k stat is unreal

In today's game movement/change-up are as (or more) important as velocity. Cat Osterman was the gold standard in the circle for over a decade throwing in the low/mid 60s.
This. Everyone wants to hit 70mph now a days... but can't spin the ball or throw a true off-speed worth a damn.

Val was throwing only 60-62... but her spin was so nasty that she was winning 20+ games a year. Jolene wouldn't have been POY if she was only throwing in the high 60's. She had the movement and off-speed to back it up.

Schroeder71
Cal pitchers have not had great changeups whereas many opposition pitchers throw off-speed pitches in every AB. By-in-large, Bear hitters cannot hit changeups and generally do not even swing at 'em. Makena Smith hit a line drive of a change to left field last weekend vs Utah but she was robbed by a diving catch by their left fielder.
CalFanatic
CalFanatic said:

Shocky1 said:

that k stat is unreal

Sorry-technically as a lefty it's left to right. The curve-screw is beautiful.
She also has a phenomenal riseball.

First franchise player we've signed in almost 7 years. Jackson and Rood were but…Ninemire. Thanks, Coach Spencer!
CalFanatic
In the NorCal classic (think a tournament akin to the Livermore Stampede) today Roelling did this:

8 innings pitched
0 hits
1bb
20 strikeouts

Oh yeah, she also hit .500 with a triple, double and an rbi
CalFanatic
Roelling with another shutout (5 innings, 13 k's). CC is headed to the finals at 03:00pm!
CalFanatic
In a battle for first place, CCHS beat D1 laden Oakdale 6-0. Roelling pitched a 2 hit shutout with 14k's and went 2 for 4. According to MaxPreps, she hasn't given up a run in her last 6 outings.

Go Bears!

https://www.maxpreps.com/games/4-25-2023/softball-23/central-catholic-vs-oakdale.htm?c=HjNsUrtmpU2voldn-zs0DA#tab=box-score&schoolid=
CalFanatic
After yesterday's game against Manteca, we now have a NEW statewide leader in strikeouts.

Yes, that's Cal signee Randi Roelling. When is the last time a pitcher- in the state of California- had back to back years leading the state in strikeouts? I believe Selden did it back in 2002-2003.

Future is bright!

https://www.maxpreps.com/ca/softball/stat-leaders/
CalFanatic
Congratulations to CCHS.

Roelling just defeated SEC signee Everett by throwing a 3 hit, 17k shutout in an 8 inning victory. Oh yeah, she also hit a homerun in the 8th inning.

CCHS wins the league outright and bumps them to D3 for the playoffs.

#franchiseplayer
CalFanatic
Congrats to Roelling for being named the CIF Pitcher of the year.

She tossed a 5 inning perfect game in the first round Tuesday. It's looking like it could be another Oakdale-CCHS matchup in the semis. Would love to try and attend that game or the championship. I haven't been to a final since Alhambra had their 3 peat. How many D1 players did that team have?! Perez (UCLA), Sparacino (CAL)…I think there was a St. Mary's and North Carolina recruit as well.
OBear073akaSMFan
A Lindsey Osmer who wound up at Stony Brook was on that team too.
CalFanatic
Roelling follows up her perfect game with a no-hitter. I think Cal signed a good one, no?

CCHS into the semis.

BearinOC
Alyssa Herrera Twitter shows is now a Memphis commit.
OBear073akaSMFan
BearinOC said:

Alyssa Herrera Twitter shows is now a Memphis commit.
Wonder if the signing of Lagi Quiroga, catcher too caused her to change commitment.
CalFanatic
Herrera formerly committed to Memphis and switched to Cal
BearinOC
Thank you for letting me know.
CalFanatic
BearinOC said:

You got it! I don't know much about her but wow, watch any video of Quiroga. That arm is incredible. She's looked college ready since 16.

Roelling and her….
OBear073akaSMFan
CalFanatic said:

BearinOC said:

You got it! I don't know much about her but wow, watch any video of Quiroga. That arm is incredible. She's looked college ready since 16.

Roelling and her….

Great season for the Bears. We loss probably put best hitter in Smith & Zobac but we return practice all the other hitters. If Roelling live up to expectations she might be the missing link..a dominant pitcher. Lot of pressure on her but our current staff is up and down.
Schroeder71
CalFanatic: if you're correct that Kacey Zobac, Kennedy Thomas, D'Asha Saiki & Sophie Medellin are departing with a season of eligibility remaining, Bears will lose two of best three hitters on the team. Can you imagine any softball power losing one of their top stars with eligibility left? No way! Is Kacey Zobac transferring to a top program? Her brother got drafted by MLB. She is the big loss that could be felt next season if the offense drops off. The offense carried the team this season with Pac 9 leading number of HRs & doubles. It was fun to watch!
2023 California Softball (PDF) - California Golden Bears Athletics (calbears.com)
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.