#4 Cal WWP wins opener over #5 UC Irvine, 15-10! (box)

1,901 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by DiabloWags
Schroeder71
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The FOSH - UC Irvine vs. California Live Stats

I did not see the game. I followed it on live stats. Surprisingly, Cal scored 15 points after losing 3 of their top scorers from last season to graduation. The Bear's defense was solid and AA goalie Isabel Williams stopped 44% of the shots on goal. UCI held Cal's #2 scorer, Ruby Swadling, from last year to a single goal. Yet the rest of the team rallied to pick up the offensive slack.

Bears have two more match-ups tomorrow against #7 Michigan and #8 Fresno State at 9am and 2 pm, respectively. The latter will be telecast on Fresno State's conference network.
Polodad
The Bears beat Michigan this morning in Fresno, 13-10. Michigan is pre-season ranked #7.
Polodad
Cal finishes the weekend with a 16-10 win over #8 Fresno State.
Schroeder71
I watched the final match on MWC tv. Bears 16, Bulldogs 10.
The FOSH - California vs. Fresno State Live Stats

Cal needs to find a center scoring threat. The vast majority of times that the Bears attempt an entry pass
inside the ball is turned over to the opposition. Tauscher scored the 1st goal of the game and DeMattia tallied one, too. I believe that #22 Reagan Whitney took a shot there but nearly was drowned on each occasion the ball came into her. Bears swept three top ten teams this weekend. Isabel Williams saved 60% of the shots on goal and her defense was a major part of the difference between the two teams.

Here's the Michigan boxscore:
Water Polo vs California on 1/22/2023 - Box Score - University of Michigan Athletics (mgoblue.com)

GO BEARS!

Schroeder71
Senior Shea Salvino from Soquel High School in Capitola (CCS) was named the MPSF Player of the Week!

Salvino Named MPSF Player Of The Week - California Golden Bears Athletics (calbears.com)
Polodad
I think she earned it with that 8 meter rocket in the upper left corner to close out the 2nd period.
DiabloWags
Like the Men's team, gotta get better on the sprints.
0 - 4.
"Cults don't end well. They really don't."
Polodad
I can't recall the last time the Bears had a top sprinter.
DiabloWags
Polodad said:

I can't recall the last time the Bears had a top sprinter.
In the Men's NCAA Final vs 'SC, I dont recall a single sprint that we won.
Disappointing.
Polodad
The Bears are back in action this weekend at Spieker and will provide a live stream vs San Jose State at 2 on Saturday, vs Stanford with their all-star lineup at 11 on Sunday, then at 4;30 against Davis on Sunday.
DiabloWags
Isabelle Williams in the cage.
6'3" and DOMINATING!

Polodad
Cal over San Jose State today, 15-4. BIG test tomorrow against #1 Stanford.
Polodad
Pre-season rankings looking about right. Furd over the Bears by 3 today.
Polodad
This is a BIG weekend for Cal at UC Irvine. The Bears will likely face #5 Hawaii on Saturday. This is a really important game that will have bearing on the last at large NCAA bid. A win over Hawaii puts Cal against furd again in the 1-4 game, then against SC or UCLA later Sunday. Can the Bears move north of #4?
juarezbear
Polodad said:

This is a BIG weekend for Cal at UC Irvine. The Bears will likely face #5 Hawaii on Saturday. This is a really important game that will have bearing on the last at large NCAA bid. A win over Hawaii puts Cal against furd again in the 1-4 game, then against SC or UCLA later Sunday. Can the Bears move north of #4?
It's really strange but it feels like we've hit the glass ceiling at #4 for years. Furd, SC, and UCLA play musical chairs at 1-3, but we can't seem to penetrate past 4. I've said this numerous times, but hiring Rich Corso was disastrous and has had long-term consequences because we missed out on Maggie Steffins because of him. had we landed her, we'd have a dynasty by now.
Polodad
Agree completely!
91Cal
Polodad said:

Agree completely!
Last year the team beat UCLA in the MPSF tournament and finished higher in the standings...

Yesterday's win was a very nice follow up to that victory!

From the stats, it would appear to have been a huge game for Isabelle in the cage. Forcing UCLA's three 5th year senior field players to 3 of 13 shooting is terrific! It looks like the 5th year senior goalie for UCLA had a very good game herself.

Go Bears!
DiabloWags
To your point, it sounds like our Defense is really coming along!
Isabelle held up tough during those 9 Bruin powerplays!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.