Cal Women's Gymnastics travels to the Bayou

1,504 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by JTfromClash
JTfromClash
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://calbears.com/news/2023/3/3/womens-gymnastics-fraziers-perfect-10-highlights-no-6-cals-record-breaking-night-in-baton-rouge.aspx

I watched via the Daily Cal Instagram livestream. For some reason this meet didn't do a Livestream and livescoring didn't work either. My limited observations were:

1) A perfect 10! For eMjae on floor!!!!! With her sister watching via the DailyCal's insta!!!!! She is such a force on floor. She is more than capable of repeating this 10!
2) like the article says, alot of adversity here. No head coaches. Yet but up another great effort
3) still haven't put together all 4 great rotations. This time it was the beam. I think Cal was underscored here. But anyways they can still do better.
4) next two meets may be a good time to rest their AA. Mya Lauzon is down to 3 events already. Maybe the same for everyone other than DeSouza. Maya Green did an exhibition on bars. She gotta do a rotation or two especially with these being the last two home meets.
5) Get ready for the post season! PAC 12 championships and then the NCAA! Cal has a good shot. Utah and UCLA both looking strong but I think Cal puts it all together.
JTfromClash
The perfect 10 routine!

Ccajon2
It'll be interesting to see how the regular season title is awarded IF Oregon state can beat Utah March 11. That would put Cal, the Beavers, and UCLA in a 3 way tie @ 4-1-2 for first? All those ties, and the "home cooking" officiating sure make it tough to figure out a regular season champion.
JTfromClash
JTfromClash
I have no idea how it's all calculated how the ties are calculated. But yeah go Beavs!

Cal has two quad meets at home this week. Thursday night and Sunday. Go cheer them on.

Sunday should see Maya Green finally in a rotation or two and Natalie Sadighi, if healthy, and Nevaeh's final home meet! Thank you seniors!
HoopDreams
amazing she's only a freshmen

https://calbears.com/news/2023/3/7/1.aspx

smh

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emjae_Frazier
muting ~250 handles, turnaround is fair play
HoopDreams
https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cpi-SlXgVhn/
JTfromClash
Very cool! Get that NIL!
JTfromClash
Not Cal ... but significant that Jordan Chiles from UCLA announces she is taking next year off from UCLA as she trains and competes in the Olympics. What other Olympians and Olympic hopefuls will be taking a year away from their colleges to train a spot on the Olympics? Jade Carey from OSU has said she was gonna try and do both. Grace McCallum from Utah was recently injured so maybe she also takes a year off?

This year is not over by any means for Cal. But if a good number of NCAA gymnasts take next year off, then maybe next year will be a huge year for Cal to take another step in ascending into Top 5 of NCAA gymnastics. Of course, one of Cal's 2023 recruits, Ondine Achampong, is deferring her start of her college career to train for the Olympics. But Cal will be returning a ton of experience next season.

https://www.intlgymnast.com/interviews/jordan-chiles-i-am-just-very-humble-about-who-i-am/
Schroeder71
QUESTION: Maya Green has not participated this season for some reason. I checked her bio and her freshman season was 2020. This would have been her fourth season or senior campaign. However, she likely will redshirt this season plus she has the Covid 5th year option if she wants it. She could have two more years of eligibility and could help fill the void of senior Nevaeh Desouza next season.

Actually, I just checked DeSouza's bio and she also was a 2020 frosh so she could opt for a Covid 5th year, too.
Thoughts?
JTfromClash
Schroeder71 said:

QUESTION: Maya Green has not participated this season for some reason. I checked her bio and her freshman season was 2020. This would have been her fourth season or senior campaign. However, she likely will redshirt this season plus she has the Covid 5th year option if she wants it. She could have two more years of eligibility and could help fill the void of senior Nevaeh Desouza next season.

Actually, I just checked DeSouza's bio and she also was a 2020 frosh so she could opt for a Covid 5th year, too.
Thoughts?
Both could stay and use their covid years so wouldn't count against the number of scholarships. Maya always academic all conference and I think she is in haas. They would both have to find a grad program or take one of the certificate programs.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.