UCLA VS Cal softball opener

2,875 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Schroeder71
Schroeder71
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bear's batting order has six left-handed hitters to face Bruin southpaw Brooke Yanez.

Cal's infield defense is not good. Every ground ball is a "hold-your-breath" situation. Makena Smith has an error and Acacia Anders has one in the early innings. Smith also could not make a play on a bunt single. UCLA's run is unearned. Haylei Archer is a ground ball pitcher but the Bears need to make the plays. With two out in the 3rd, grounder to D'Asha Saiki but she tried to tag the runner and missed, then threw to 1st too late. Mental error because she could have gone to first for the third out.
Schroeder71
Megan Grant, frosh phenom from Aragon HS, has driven in all three runs to KO Haylei Archer in the top of the 4th. Sona Halajian is now in in relief.
CalFanatic
#2 UCLA 4
Cal 0

Nice mini rally in the 7th against MF but couldn't get any runs across.
Schroeder71
Cal was shutout 2 of 3 games in LA last season. The middle game was a 10-4 loss and Makena Smith hit a three run homerun to temporarily give the Bears the lead.
Softball vs UCLA on 3/10/2023 - Box Score - California Golden Bears Athletics (calbears.com)
The Bruin's star hitter was the freshman Megan Grant (3 for 4) who attended Aragon HS in the CCS. She had the only extra base hit against Cal this afternoon.

CalFanatic
UCLA has the best pitching staff in the Pac-12... and it isn't even close or up for debate. I hope we can make some noise these next two games. If so, it bodes well for future series.
CalFanatic
HORRIBLE call by the umps to literally rob Cal off a rally. Should be two on one out and they say Grant caught that?! In what effing universe?
CalFanatic
3-0 Bears!!!
CalFanatic
5-0!!!
Schroeder71
Cal breaks out in the B3rd with 5 runs on 5 hits. Most of the damage was done against UCLA All-American pitcher, Megan Faraimo, too.
CalFanatic
Chasing the Pac 12 POY in 0.1 innings?! I'll take it!
CalFanatic
7-0 Bears! Anzaldo goes yard
CyBear77
WooHoo!!! 7-0
Anzaldo goes deep vs the leftie they brought in after Faraimo!! Two run shot to right!!
CyBear77
Scoring 4 in the 3rd off Faraimo in a third of an inning is going to radically change her ERA...
Schroeder71
Cal adds two more in the B4th off of UCLA'S grad transfer southpaw, Shaw. Acacia Anders doubles to right and Tatum Anzaldo homers to RF. Bears 7, Bruins 0
CalFanatic
WALKOFF!!!! Down goes #2 UCLA!!! ROLL ON
CyBear77
OK!!!
Walkoff HR by Zobac in the bottom of the 5th... 8-0 Cal!!
2nd loss of the year for UCLA...
Schroeder71
Kacey Zobac walks-off for Cal with a solo HR to left field, 8-0!. Bears hand #2 UCLA only their second loss of the season. GO BEARS!
SFCALBear72
In their 2 losses, Ucla has been outscored 22-0!! Oklahoma won 14-0.

Roll on you Bears!!!!

CyBear77
I should mention that the defense was much better for todays game...
Kennedy Thomas made a couple of nice catches in left in the 4th or 5th - the first on a sinking line drive that she had to come in on and the second a running catch at the fence (could have been a HR...I couldn't tell if she caught it over the top of the fence)
Everyone was swinging the bats well today!! Sona pitched her a__ off and got the shutout!!
Rubber game tomorrow!!
CalFanatic
CyBear77 said:

I should mention that the defense was much better for todays game...
Kennedy Thomas made a couple of nice catches in left in the 4th or 5th - the first on a sinking line drive that she had to come in on and the second a running catch at the fence (could have been a HR...I couldn't tell if she caught it over the top of the fence)
Everyone was swinging the bats well today!! Sona pitched her a__ off and got the shutout!!
Rubber game tomorrow!!
Sona settling in and inducing the groundout- after her error- was huge, too. We've let small errors balloon into big innings. She shut down that rally real fast. Great job.
calbearinamaze
With CAL-Baseball losing the first two games against Arizona and CAL-Rugby getting beat
33-28 at #1-Navy.......this win over UCLA feels really good.

GO BEARS!!!
If you believe in forever
Then life is just a one-night stand
If there's a rock and roll heaven
Well you know they've got a hell of a band
Shocky1
https://bearinsider.com/forums/2/topics/110786/replies/2145536
HoopDreams
SFCALBear72
10-year drought over!!!!

"The win over the Bruins is the first for Cal since it defeated No. 19/21 UCLA, 5-1, on April 13, 2013 in Los Angeles."
59bear
Wow! Didn't see that coming. I'm not sure what is more surprising, shutting our a great hitting lineup or routing one of the best pitchers in the college game. Kudos to the ladies. Curiosity: Archer started but never threw a pitch? What's up?
Ccajon2
No game today?
Schroeder71
Latest projection is a 1 pm game start. We'll see what Mother Nature brings us today. GO BEARS!
CalFanatic
After the game yesterday, I thought the only change I would make is switching Medellin for Butler. Looks like Coach read my mind!
Schroeder71
Tarp has been removed from the field at 1:05 pm so it appears that they're going to try to play this game.
CalFanatic
4-1 UCLA going into Bottom 4. Sona keeps battling and getting us out of tough jams. Happy to see her looking like her old self.
SFCALBear72
I guess we made Ucla angry yesterday.
Schroeder71
Cal might have a weakness against left-handed pitching. Southpaw Yanez shut down the Bears easily for the Bruin's two victories. Cal has six left-handed hitters in their lineup. Three consecutive errors in the sixth inning allowed three unearned runs off of Teperson. One of the errors was on Teperson. UCLA had fourteen hits off of four Cal pitchers today.

Fortunately (I hope), Cal has a three-game series in Corvallis next. Oregon State looks to be the weakest team (especially hitting) in the Pac Nine this season. Bears should be able to win that series against the Beavers. Oregon State swept Cal in Berkeley last season so it's time for some major payback! Utah swept OSU in Salt Lake City this weekend.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.