Cal Water Polo Live stream announcer

1,571 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by Bear8995
senorbeta
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I was watching the Cal live stream v ucla before it went out, but I was wondering if anybody knows the announcer that does the games? He uses "Berkeley" and "Cal-Berkeley" a little much.
Polodad
Final UCLA over the Bears 14-11. Bruins remain unbeaten and are now the team to beat for a 3rd straight natty.
coachdeke
Kyle Morrison, an aspiring announcer, doing his first match. Cal media relations should have coached him up. Hopefully Papa will be back soon? This is the second stint of games he's missed. It reminds me of Luca Cupido, missing important games, several seasons back, and probably costing the Bears a shot at repeating.
DiabloWags
Papa has literally only played one game in the last month or so.
And when he played, he only scored 1 goal.

He gives the Bears such a different "look".
Hope his injury isnt as serious at it appears.

"Cults don't end well. They really don't."
Schroeder71
It will be nearly impossible to three-peat without the national MVP for the last two years. Does anyone know what the nature of his injury is? GO BEARS!
waterbear
Papa should be back next weekend against Stanford. I spoke to him after the ucla game yesterday and he felt pretty confident he would play. No surprise to anyone who saw him but it's a thumb injury. He had it taped. He was in the water working out on his own both yesterday and today before either team was in the water.
Both Gascon and Avakian played very well against ucla and had good games agains sc in Papa's place. Nobody can replace Papa but it was a good test for the team to play without him.
The ucla game was a poor defensive effort by the whole team. Today against sc was a different story. The effort on D was very good as evident by the number of field blacks they had and didn't let shooters fake and step in and shoot.
Today reminded me a bit of last years championship comeback. Speaker was rocking, especially after the little skirmish at the end of the 3rd quarter.
Go Bears!
waterbear
Water polo is not an easy game to announce if you don't know the game and the players. You have to know who the players are without having to look at the rosters as things happen so quickly.
waterbear
Papa played in the MPSF tournament in SoCal two weeks ago. He had 3 goals against LBST, 5 against Stanfurd and 1 against ucla in that tournament. You must have missed that!
Schroeder71
I'm glad it doesn't appear to be a season-ending type of injury. GO BEARS!
DiabloWags
waterbear said:

Papa played in the MPSF tournament in SoCal two weeks ago. He had 3 goals against LBST, 5 against Stanfurd and 1 against ucla in that tournament. You must have missed that!

No, I didnt miss that.

In fact, I was up in Stockton for their match against UOP and he was suited up,but didn't play.
That was Sept. 17th.

DiabloWags
coachdeke said:

Kyle Morrison, an aspiring announcer, doing his first match. Cal media relations should have coached him up.

Hopefully, he gets up to speed soon.

He would broadcast how the Cal "goalie" would come up with a big block, and didn't know that it was Adrian Weinberg.
It took him awhile to figure out who our goalie is. That's literally inexcusable.

He's got his work cut out for him.
He's no Greg Mescall that's for sure!

DiabloWags
USC vs CAL 2022 NCAA Championship Match at Spieker.
Greg Mescall, announcing.

waterbear
But you said "Papa has literally only played one game in the last month or so.
And when he played, he only scored 1 goal."
Yet I pointed out that he played in the tournament two weeks ago and had 9 goals in 3 games. That was the week after the uop game. It was also the weekend the injury happened. If you look at any of the Stanfurd or ucla games, you will see he had his thumb taped up for those games.
DiabloWags
I clearly misspoke.

But it doesnt take away from the fact that this injury has impacted him over the opening of the season and he only had 1 goal against UCLA in the MPSF Invite in the first place game on Sept. 24th.

The next 7 weeks are going to be all about who grinds out the yards, who will be the best conditioned team come December. Executing in 1-goal games, OT, quad-OT, etc.

GO BEARS!

Bear8995
I found it funny that the announcer kept talking about how one of the players didn't have his cap on, like that is a rare occurrence in water polo. He's learning and will hopefully get better.

Great comeback by the Bears. I'm sure SC is a bit po'd that 2 balls that ended up in the back of the net were disqualified.
coachdeke
Bear8995 said:

I

Great comeback by the Bears. I'm sure SC is a bit po'd that 2 balls that ended up in the back of the net were disqualified.

Probably a flashback from last years NCAA final win an illegal substitution Call gave Cal another 6 on five opportunity, and was key to their comeback victory.
91Cal
DiabloWags said:

I clearly misspoke.

But it doesnt take away from the fact that this injury has impacted him over the opening of the season and he only had 1 goal against UCLA in the MPSF Invite in the first place game on Sept. 24th.

The next 7 weeks are going to be all about who grinds out the yards, who will be the best conditioned team come December. Executing in 1-goal games, OT, quad-OT, etc.

GO BEARS!

And it's great to see George and Jordi get significant PT. Jordi had two Papa-esque goals Saturday and George held side well, once getting inside water while pushing his defender to nearly 4m with the ball at two, but they just couldn't get it to him. Saturday was a very winnable game with a couple of shot conversions on open cages and better d.

With Papa back and renewed commitment on d, the future is bright.
DiabloWags
91Cal said:

DiabloWags said:

I clearly misspoke.

GO BEARS!

And it's great to see George and Jordi get significant PT. Jordi had two Papa-esque goals Saturday and George held side well, once getting inside water while pushing his defender to nearly 4m with the ball at two, but they just couldn't get it to him. Saturday was a very winnable game with a couple of shot conversions on open cages and better d.

With Papa back and renewed commitment on d, the future is bright.

Agreed on Jordi and George.
The PT was Huuuuuge!

And Coach Kirk will use these losses to UCLA to motivate the team even further.

As Coach Harbaugh once said, "Freddy P Soft is your biggest enemy. You gotta get rid of him... off your shoulder."

Complacency.
Bear8995
coachdeke said:

Bear8995 said:

I

Probably a flashback from last years NCAA final win an illegal substitution Call gave Cal another 6 on five opportunity, and was key to their comeback victory.
F SC!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.