Cal at LSU Softball Regional

21,100 Views | 180 Replies | Last: 19 days ago by CalFanatic
LodeBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cal has to have one outstanding pitcher to win. One would expect with the hitting being so good, an excellent pitcher would transfer to Cal. Is there anyone we are recruiting?
BearinOC
I liked O'Toole.

Anyway, yesterday, I had a conversation with Jessica Merchant, the Associate Head Coach at Stanford University. I brought up a toughy subject on the Najee Canaday situation and where she might end up. I mentioned that Oklahoma's roster was full, so it was unlikely she'd go there. Surprisingly, Coach Merchant responded, "There is always room…"an intriguing statement.

I also told her I thought she was annoucing yesterday but, was told Canaday has one more visit scheduled. On a different note, I observed some competitive games involving Nor Cal teams and a Hawaii teamUniversal and Sorcerer. Universal was victorious with a 9-8 win, despite Sorcerer having a stronger pitcher but lacking hitting power. Interestingly, Justin Alo's cousin, Soph Alo, played for the Hawaii team. She must have a bit family as I recall doing another Alo game a few months back.

59bear
BearinOC said:

I liked O'Toole.

Anyway, yesterday, I had a conversation with Jessica Merchant, the Associate Head Coach at Stanford University. I brought up a toughy subject on the Najee Canaday situation and where she might end up. I mentioned that Oklahoma's roster was full, so it was unlikely she'd go there. Surprisingly, Coach Merchant responded, "There is always room…"an intriguing statement.

I also told her I thought she was annoucing yesterday but, was told Canaday has one more visit scheduled. On a different note, I observed some competitive games involving Nor Cal teams and a Hawaii teamUniversal and Sorcerer. Universal was victorious with a 9-8 win, despite Sorcerer having a stronger pitcher but lacking hitting power. Interestingly, Justin Alo's cousin, Soph Alo, played for the Hawaii team. She must have a bit family as I recall doing another Alo game a few months back.

Where a player of Canady's ability is concerned, this is more axiomatic than intriguing.
CalFanatic
I too feel we need another pitcher. Losing your pitching coach probably makes a transfer even harder.

Such a bummer. We have virtually every other piece of the puzzle next year. We are going to be a disaster for opposing pitchers.
59bear
CalFanatic said:

I too feel we need another pitcher. Losing your pitching coach probably makes a transfer even harder.

Such a bummer. We have virtually every other piece of the puzzle next year. We are going to be a disaster for opposing pitchers.
Unless you can hire a pitching coach who can also bring a quality starter.
Ccajon2
59bear said:

CalFanatic said:

Unless you can hire a pitching coach who can also bring a quality starter.

Thinking the same thing, that would open things up for Cal. I looked at the portal there are still 7-8 power 5 transfers in there that meet my criteria as a decent pick up for Cal: #1 Former Cali girls #2 +100 IP #3 3.5 or lower ERA.

Not worried about W-L. Looking at Cal prospects that went to BG/SEC/ACC/12.
CalFanatic
While there are questions on pitching, I feel like this is a strong, battle tested, very tough lineup.

1. C Lagi Quiroga
2. SS Acacia Anders
3. 1B Tianna Bell
4. 2B Elon Butler
5. OF Mika Lee
6. OF Kaylee Pond
7. DH Kyndal Todd
8. 3B (Andrade/Phillips)??
9. Holly Medina OF

The top 4 in the lineup are all double digit homerun hitters. Heck... Pond, Lee and Todd have the capabilities too.

Ccajon2
If one of the players I listed on here left or out of eligibility, sorry didn't know. Anyway this is my feeble attempt to figure out Cals 2025 pitching Staff:
Miranda De Nava projected #1 in Rotation. Like RR, much, maybe too much will be expected of her. Surely there won't be a replay of RRs frosh year. Will CS use her more Sparingly after what happens with RR last year? 100 IP, 12 wins.

Anna Reimers- projected #2 in rotation. Expect to pitch 130 innings. Anna has a 16-5 career record here with a 3.19 era. I think our new PC will be able to develop her into a solid inning eater and win 18 or so games what with the Avalanche of runs supporting her.

Annabel Teperson. #3 starter, 15-9 and 3.65. 182 career IP, but only 25 IP last year. Don't know what happened, but a senior and with that experience they're going to use her until results dictate otherwise. 80 IP 7-8 wins is what I project for Tep.

Ash McDade. 3-2 2.07 ERA, but only 30 IP. Highly rated recruit from B12. Never seemed to develop. Spot starter and bullpen? Project same stats as last year.

Samantha Rocha. Found no stats on her.

Ryan Orange 3-0 3.25. used Sparingly, but a utility player too. The wild card IMHO, if she gets to pitch regularly, watch out.

Kiki Mashhoud. Incoming frosh recruit.
CalFanatic
De Nava is definitely the more touted of the pitching recruits. Great travel and high school program, played for Team Mexico the last two years, etc. Mashhoud didn't appear to be the #1 on her highschool team.

Hopefully Orange, Reimers and McDade can all stay healthy.
Schroeder71
Kiki Mashhoud was not listed on Notre Dame-Sherman Oak's softball roster for 2024. Does anyone have her summer travel ball stats?

I guess that the pitching staff would be FR Miranda De Nava, JR Ryann Orange, JR Ashley McDade, SR Anna Reimers & SR Annabel Teperson. Kiki Mashhoud & Sam Rocha have yet to earn a spot in the rotation.

Ccajon2
CalFanatic said:

De Nava is definitely the more touted of the pitching recruits. Great travel and high school program, played for Team Mexico the last two years, etc. Mashhoud didn't appear to be the #1 on her highschool team.

Hopefully Orange, Reimers and McDade can all stay healthy.

Yep! I transposed there names CF! Hope MDN can have a better frosh year then RR- but I'll take similar states-less HRs though. 16 in 130 IP too much.
BearinOC
Schroeder71 said:

Kiki Mashhoud was not listed on Notre Dame-Sherman Oak's softball roster for 2024.

Shoot, is that where she went-ND in SO? I just did her teammates game with Firecrackers Tuesday. You should have asked a couple of days ago I would have asked.
CalFanatic
Yep, she was teammates with Ella Parker at Notre Dame SO.

Parker had an incredible FR. season for Oklahoma.
BearinOC
CalFanatic
CalFanatic said:

Interview before her commitment to OSU. Looks like she turned to 3B because of necessity and has turned into a top defensive athlete in her position. 4.3 GPA...What an incredibly impressive young woman!

CalWSportsFan
The Chronicle had a big feature about her hinting she may stay at Stanford with some hefty NIL money offered.

" Every day that NiJaree Canady doesn't commit to another school is a relief for Stanford, which hopes its the 2024 Pac-12 Softball Pitcher of the Year returns after entering the transfer portal.

With some experts saying that bidding for Canady could reach as high as $1 million per year, Stanford finds itself in negotiations that could alter non-revenue sports forever. One source with knowledge of the talks would not disclose specific figures but said the people involved with Stanford's NIL collective, Lifetime Cardinal, were "giving their all" to retain the nation's top returning player."

Gift link: https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/college/article/nijaree-canady-stay-stanford-considers-record-nil-19566500.php?utm_source=marketing&utm_medium=copy-url-link&utm_campaign=article-share&hash=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuc2ZjaHJvbmljbGUuY29tL3Nwb3J0cy9jb2xsZWdlL2FydGljbGUvbmlqYXJlZS1jYW5hZHktc3RheS1zdGFuZm9yZC1jb25zaWRlcnMtcmVjb3JkLW5pbC0xOTU2NjUwMC5waHA%3D&time=MTcyMTQyNTE3NTM4OA%3D%3D&rid=MDAyMjUwYmQtNGY5Ni00OWJkLThkODgtYTNiMDBlNTNkMWI2&sharecount=MQ%3D%3D

CalFanatic
$1 million dollars to get a flippin' free Stanford degree. My god.

College sports are forever ruined, IMO.
CalWSportsFan
I don't disagree. It's crazy…and I'm not sure sustainable.
Shocky1

the MAGIC of cal softball (boys drool, girls RULE!!!!!)#

funny comment: "that's a foul"..."wut, i didn't touch u"
CalFanatic
Jen Deering named as the Assistant Coach. Great seeing two national champions and former bears on the staff!

Wild that I remember watching her pitch 20+ years ago. I feel old.
CalFanatic
We now have 3 NorCal coaches on the roster with deep roots in the community. This makes a difference. I'm excited to see some stability and less of people just wanting to jump to the next thing. (Cough cough)

Pride in Cal matters!
OBear073akaSMFan
CalFanatic said:

We now have 3 NorCal coaches on the roster with deep roots in the community. This makes a difference. I'm excited to see some stability and less of people just wanting to jump to the next thing. (Cough cough)

Pride in Cal matters!
Haven't seen any posting but here is her profile.

She was at Cal in 2002 when the Bears won the NCAA 'ship.

She was coaching at Santa Clara. Here is her profile from that website.

https://santaclarabroncos.com/sports/softball/roster/coaches/jen-deering/541

Welcome back home Jan.

Edit: found it on their twitter acct.
Schroeder71
Who is the 3rd NorCal coach on Cal's staff? Chelsea Spencer, Jen Deering & ???
wvitbear

i believe Deering was also a women's basketball player. Backup center.
CalFanatic
Schroeder71 said:

Who is the 3rd NorCal coach on Cal's staff? Chelsea Spencer, Jen Deering & ???
Telesco
Ccajon2
JD could be a home run hire as PC. SCU was 97-444 before she came aboard in 2017. They won 40 pct. Of their games during her tenure there. They pitched ok against P5 schools.
BearinOC
Ccajon2 said:

JD could be a home run hire as PC. SCU was 97-444 before she came aboard in 2017. They won 40 pct. Of their games during her tenure there. They pitched ok against P5 schools.
You're data does not suggest a homerun hire to me, lol.
CalFanatic
Looking at the data, Santa Clara's best program records have taken place from 2022-2024 under Carbonatto and Deering.

Deering coached the WCC Player of the year (Hazly Gray).
Ccajon2
BearinOC said:

Ccajon2 said:

Maybe a "double hire". Long single hire for sure Ump.
BearinOC
Ccajon2 said:

BearinOC said:

Ccajon2 said:

Maybe a "double hire". Long single hire for sure Ump.
lol, I hope you're right. We need a couple of "horses" for the trainer to breed a winning ranch. Let's hope she is the trainer we were looking.
CalFanatic
CalFanatic said:

Who knows. This is O'Toole's 3rd job in 3 years. Mueller just took her 3rd job in 3 years. Freeman did the same.

Maybe this is just the new normal...along with NIL and the portal. Honestly? I hate it.

Freeman with her fourth coaching job in four years. Jesus Christ.

Off to U of A she goes. Hoping we can keep Deering and Telesco on the staff for a few years. New stadium + 2025 class bodes well for our future.
CalFanatic
In other news, Cal signs Junior College All-American Xiomei Geluz. Geluz hit .437 for LBCC and looks to have started at SS.

https://www.maxpreps.com/ca/wilmington/banning-pilots/athletes/xiomei-geluz/softball/stats/?careerid=l49b77l730no8

https://www.lbccvikings.com/sports/sball/2023-24/bios/geluz_xiomei_qch1?view=career&pos=h

kc1121
Nice. How about one of those portal pitchers? I assume they'd have to announce soon with school starting
CalFanatic
kc1121 said:

Nice. How about one of those portal pitchers? I assume they'd have to announce soon with school starting

I don't know if there is anyone available at this point? Seems like we'll be winning games by outscoring opponents and improving defense. Both recent signees have outstanding fielding percentages for a SS and 3B player.

Runs won't be an issue.
kc1121
Got it. Just saw that pitcher Rainey is going to Auburn

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.