Cal went 7-0 against 3 regionals winners who advanced to super regionals (final 16)

1,185 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by SFCALBear72
MoragaBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
UConn (sweep), Oregon State (road sweep) and Kansas State who Cal swept 7-0 this season all advance plus Pac-12 3rd place team Oregon. Winners of Super Regionals go to College World Series.

No Pac-12 team who won at least 36 games and lost 19 or less hasn't made regionals, let alone one who had so many wins over other regionals winners.

Many of the teams with far worse profiles but better RPI because of their inflated RPI numbers playing in the SEC and ACC had reps on the committee. The only Pac-12 rep was Utah's AD.

Complete joke.
Ccajon2
Yep, one of the worst hose jobs in NCAA history. However the selection committee already knows what teams have followings and what teams don't. Cal had the worst luck this year in that Gambling and High point took spots away from them. It's happened before, but first we did get in once(2010) with a losing conference record (13-14) and only (29-26) overall. We also didn't get in in 2007, when we were 4th. That year 6th place Oregon st. (10-14) Won the Natty. Not having won a conference title in over 60 years plays a part in the equation, but folks on here don't care about that.
Schroeder71
I was shocked when I found out that they were not chosen due to RPI. The major conference teams hardly ever have that "card" played on them. Strange. GO BEARS!
Beaverdreams2
You guys for sure got hosed.....pathetic. Cal was playing some of the best baseball on west coast at season's end.
barsad
Still smarting from the Cal selection snub, but something else stands out for me when I look at the bracket:
- Only eight teams of the 64 selections are located West of the Rocky Mountains.
- Of the 16 super regional teams left, only three are from schools west of the Mississippi River (and we can hardly count Kansas St. as a western school). The Oregons are really all the West has left.

I knew there was an East Coast/Midwest bias in college baseball, but this seems more like geographic dominance. What accounts for this lopsided talent balance?
MoragaBear
Staff
They put all the western teams together so only a limited number could advance but there's definitely a big regional bias.
Ccajon2
SEC has been imposing their will over college sports too much. Everybody's looking the other way, but this is going to destroy college sports as we know it.(If it already hasn't)
Ccajon2
Beaverdreams2 said:

You guys for sure got hosed.....pathetic. Cal was playing some of the best baseball on west coast at season's end.

Good luck in the B1G, BD. I think the Ducks will make a nice splash in FB next year. Gonna have to play tuff though. You'll get no calls.
SFCALBear72
Beaverdreams2 said:

Good luck to the Beavers! Beat Kentucky!!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.