2024 US Olympic Trials - SWIMMING

5,746 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by philbert
swimmer19
How long do you want to ignore this user?
37 current Bears and a sizable contingent of future Bears are entered in this week's US Olympic Trials at the Lucas Oil Stadium in Indy and will be competing for a spot on the Olympic Team.
Meet starts today with the Women's 100 fly and 400 free, and Men's 100 Breast and 400 free, and will run until the 23rd.

Bears have the following entrants for today:

100 fly - Rachel Klinker, Lizzy Cook, Morgan Brophy, Mia Kragh, Mia Motekaitis, and Ava Chavez, plus 2025 commits Alex Shackell and Annie Jia

100 breast - Luke Rodarte, Liam Bell, Matthew Jensen, Jacob Soderlund, Hank Rivers, Sean Swift

W 400 free - 2025 commit Claire Weinstein

M 400 free - Jack Meehan, Gabriel Jett, Matthew Chai, 2024 signee Trey Hesser, and 2025 commits Norvy Clontz and Ryan Erisman
Schroeder71
Have you located the *live stats* of each Olympic heat, etc? I have been looking around but can only find paragraph write-ups mentioning the couple top swimmer's times. Let me know if you find coverage of the trials.
Thank you, S19.

It appears that there will be four events' heats today and finals this evening. At 5 pm PST, there's an hour show most probably covering the semi-finals and finals of those four events. GO BEARS! Go Team USA!

Btw, when I reviewed the psych sheets yesterday, I noticed that Alex Shackell had top six times in several events. Her brother also had very good times. How many brothers does she have? I know that the Cal recruit that left the team, never did anything in the couple of swim meets that he participated in. Those very good psych times must not belong to the same male Shackell?
PalyBear
Schroeder71 said:

Have you located the *live stats* of each Olympic heat, etc? I have been looking around but can only find paragraph write-ups mentioning the couple top swimmer's times. Let me know if you find coverage of the trials.
Thank you, S19.

It appears that there will be four events' heats today and finals this evening. At 5 pm PST, there's an hour show most probably covering the semi-finals and finals of those four events. GO BEARS! Go Team USA!

Btw, when I reviewed the psych sheets yesterday, I noticed that Alex Shackell had top six times in several events. Her brother also had very good times. How many brothers does she have? I know that the Cal recruit that left the team, never did anything in the couple of swim meets that he participated in. Those very good psych times must not belong to the same male Shackell?

Try this link. It has the heat sheets and
the results under Total Ranking.

https://www.omegatiming.com/2024/u-s-olympic-team-trials---swimming-live-results
Schroeder71
PalyBear-appreciate the link. It appears that the short races have two semi-finals whereas the distance races only have one final race

In the women's100 fly, Alex Shackell registered the fourth fastest time out of the sixteen qualifiers. Rachel Klinker didn't make it, finishing #21. Incoming recruit Annie Jia was close behind at #28.

In the men's 100 breast, Liam Bell clocked the sixth fastest time while Luke Rodarte was eighth. They should each be in the semi-finals tonight.

In the men's 400 freestyle, Gabriel Jett finished #10 so I guess he's out unless he participates as an alternate.
Aaron Shackell was 4th place. Was he the Shackell that departed from Cal's swim team?

Woman's 400 free will be without any current or former Bear participants.
Schroeder71
00011800030103EC0102FFFFFFFFFF01.pdf (omegatiming.com)

Both Cal swimmers qualified for the Men's 100m breaststroke final tomorrow night. Cal recruit, Alex Shackell, qualified fourth for the women's 100m butterfly final tomorrow night.
00011800030204EC0102FFFFFFFFFF01.pdf (omegatiming.com)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The story that I am dumbfounded about is that of Aaron Shackell. He won the 400m free style tonight at the age of 19. He is the Cal swimmer that departed the team. If he is the fastest 400-meter swimmer in the United States, why wasn't Cal using him in the distance free style events early on? He could have captured the NCAA title for Cal if he had stayed and competed. I don't understand. Does anyone know why this phenomenal talent was not utilized?
Schroeder71
Here's Cal's official write-up. I noticed that Alex Shackell is not mentioned in the article. Is it because she is an incoming recruit or that she is no longer affiliated with Cal (like her brother).

Bell, Rodarte Advance To 100 Breaststroke Finals - California Golden Bears Athletics (calbears.com)
swimmer19
Alex Shackell has only given her verbal commitment and hasn't signed her NLI yet (C/O 2025 cannot sign NLIs until November of this year).
swimmer19
Some thoughts from today:

100 fly- overall solid swims despite the time adds from a majority of the squad. Shackell is the real deal and it won't be enough to make the team in this event but her swim bodes well for the rest of the week. Klinker's half second time drop also beneficial for her primary 200 fly race.

400 frees- Solid swim from Jett, Chai, Hesser and Clontz, Erisman's swim was just okay and Meehan did not look good at all. Hoping for some better outcomes in the remaining mid/distance events. Weinstein's swim wasn't great, but she took it out sub-2:00 (only swimmer to do so other than Ledecky), so I look forward to watching her individual 200 race.

100 breast- Glad to see Bell and Rodarte under the 1:00 barrier, and eagerly anticipating their race for an Olympic berth tomorrow night. As is with the women's flyers, breast group had solid swims even with time adds.
Schroeder71
swimmer19-thanks for the clarification on Alex's status. I sure hope that she signs her LOI.
swimmer19
Day 2 on tap. Bears are competing in the following events:

M 200 free - Colby Mefford, Keaton Jones, Gabriel Jett, Brooks Curry, and 2025 commit Andrew Shackell

M 400 IM - Tyler Kopp, Humberto Najera, 2024 signee Freddy Klein, 2025 commit Ian Platts-Mills

W 100 breast - Abby Herscu, Alicia Henry, 2025 commit Elle Scott

M 100 back - Keaton Jones, Destin Lasco, Ryan Murphy, Hunter Armstrong, Evan Petty, 2025 commit Kenny Barnicle

W 200 free - 2025 commits Claire Weinstein and Alex Shackell
Schroeder71
question: when did Hunter Armstrong swim for Cal? I can't remember...
HBear
Schroeder71 said:

question: when did Hunter Armstrong swim for Cal? I can't remember...
Armstrong moved to Berkeley when his college coach (OSU) Matt Bowe was hired as assistant coach for the men's team (spring of 2022, replacing Chase Kreitler, who took the HC role at Pitt). Bowe has since become HC at Michigan but Armstrong has stayed in CA as a member of the pro training group.
Schroeder71
Good explanation, HBear! I can understand why I didn't remember him swimming for Cal. GO BEARS!

The couple of recruits that looked good today were Brooks Curry & Aaron Shackell for the men's team and Claire Weinstein & Alex Shackell for the women. GO BEARS!
OBear073akaSMFan
swimmer19 said:

Day 2 on tap. Bears are competing in the following events:

M 200 free - Colby Mefford, Keaton Jones, Gabriel Jett, Brooks Curry, and 2025 commit Andrew Shackell

M 400 IM - Tyler Kopp, Humberto Najera, 2024 signee Freddy Klein, 2025 commit Ian Platts-Mills

W 100 breast - Abby Herscu, Alicia Henry, 2025 commit Elle Scott

M 100 back - Keaton Jones, Destin Lasco, Ryan Murphy, Hunter Armstrong, Evan Petty, 2025 commit Kenny Barnicle

W 200 free - 2025 commits Claire Weinstein and Alex Shackell
Is Aaron Shackell most likely transferring to Texas? IF so...hope this doesn't impact Andrew & Alex's decision.
swimmer19
Aaron Shackell has already announced his transfer to Texas. The younger two siblings, as far as I am aware, are sticking with their Cal verbals.
OBear073akaSMFan
Thanks
swimmer19
Look for pros Murph, Armstrong and Curry, alongside 2025 commit Weinstein to potentially make the team for Paris tonight in individual and relay capacities, while soon to be 5th year Stadden and 2025 commit Teagan O'Dell should hopefully qualify for tomorrow night's 100 back final.

Pretty relaxed morning for the women, highlighted by 2025 commit Alexa McDevitt's 400 IM and Stadden's backstroke. Men's future distance group was out in full force, led by incoming freshman Hesser (8:01.03). Redshirt sophomore Chai not far behind (8:01.26), with 2025 commit Clontz having an off swim in 8:25.87.
swimmer19
Curry finishes 5th in the 200 free. Should be enough for a relay spot, as swimmers start doubling up on qualified events. On to the 100 free.
swimmer19
Stadden and O'Dell both on the wrong side of the top 8, finishing 9th and 10th. Stadden took the race out way too fast and paid for it at the end. On to the 200 back for both swimmers.
swimmer19
Murph and Armstrong! 1-2 in the 100 back to become the first Bears onto Team USA!
swimmer19
Claire Weinstein is an Olympian after finishing top 2 in the 200 free! Alex Shackell finishes 6th and is currently in a similar situation as Curry. Congrats to both!
swimmer19
Sheesh, Alexy with a 47.08 to break the US Open record and lead tonight's semifinal. Armstrong, Lasco, and Curry all make it through, with Matthew Jensen on the outside looking in at 17th
swimmer19
Rose and Colby Mefford are 3-4 heading into tonight's 200 fly semifinal. Alum Trenton Julian is not far behind in 6th. Jett added over 4 seconds and was essentially vertical the last 50.
HBear
Miscellaneous thoughts to add onto swimmer19:

200 FL - Pleasantly surprised by Mefford taking 4th seed for semis! Bummer for Jett, wheels came off at the end.

100 FR (M) - tough for Jensen to be out the outside looking in for semis, but great swim for him. Particularly happy that Destin seemed to have a much stronger swim here than in the 100 back. Can't wait to see what Alexy does.

1500 FR - incoming 5th year (transfer) Maya Geringer just a second away from 8th place / from making the semis. Great distance get for the Bears.

100 FR (W) - Weitzeil posts 53.56, good for second seed heading into semis (behind a surging Manuel, with a fast morning swim of 53.09). Abbey won this event at '21 Trials in 53.53, so hope her prelims time is a sign of more fast swimming to come.
MoragaBear
Staff
swimmer19
Solid morning.

Abby Herscu swam a PB in the 200 breast heats to land a second swim in the semifinals tonight. 2025 commit Elle Scott finishes 43rd with a 2:36.6, adding over 4 seconds.

Keaton Jones and Murph go 2-3 to headline the 200 back semifinals. Rising sophomore Humberto Najera finishes 31st in a 2:00.49. Lasco and Mefford didn't show for this event, as they have Olympic berths on the line tonight in the 400 free relay and 200 fly respectively.

2025 top commit Alex Shackell scorches a 2:06.71 to lead the 200 fly semifinal while Klinker swims a 2:10.16 to earn a second swim tonight in 11th
Schroeder71
Lasco was seeded second in the 200m back yet chose not to swim the event. His seed time was faster than anyone in the prelims today. He had a shot to make the Olympic team. I don't understand why he would sacrifice not swimming when his 100m free style time is only fifth in the field of eight tonight. Oh, well, it was his choice.
HBear
Schroeder71 said:

Lasco was seeded second in the 200m back yet chose not to swim the event. His seed time was faster than anyone in the prelims today. He had a shot to make the Olympic team. I don't understand why he would sacrifice not swimming when his 100m free style time is only fifth in the field of eight tonight. Oh, well, it was his choice.
His 100m back wasn't great (more than a second add from his seed time). We're not in his or Durden's shoes to understand how his backstroke is feeling, but maybe given the 100m back swim/s, Lasco thought freestyler was a safer bet. Top 6 of 8 for 1 FR also should get Olympic invites (relay-only swimmers for the 4x100m), so that's the likely math there.
MoragaBear
Staff
HBear said:

Schroeder71 said:

His 100m back wasn't great (more than a second add from his seed time). We're not in his or Durden's shoes to understand how his backstroke is feeling, but maybe given the 100m back swim/s, Lasco thought freestyler was a safer bet. Top 6 of 8 for 1 FR also should get Olympic invites (relay-only swimmers for the 4x100m), so that's the likely math there.
Yup, the 100 and 4x100 relay are the targets. The 4x100 could be a gold medal team, which is huge to be a part of, like Biondi in his first Olympics in '84 when he earned his only medal before he dominated in '88. I may be wrong but I think the 200 back and the 100 free were too close to perform optimally, too.
HBear
A ton of solid swims from tonight:

Weitzeil places 5th in the 100 FR final. Out of an individual spot (bummer) but has likely secured her third Olympic berth as a relay swimmer.

Rose, Mefford, and Julian place 4th, 5th, and 7th in the 200 FL final. Great event for Mefford overall (few probably predicted him finalling here), while Rose hopefully has a great 100 race coming up. Julian was solid through the 150 till the piano came down on him.

'25 commit Shackell looked solid in the women's 200 fly semis. Second seed going into finals.

Rising sophomore Jones leads the men in the 200 back going into finals, just ahead of statesmen Murph. Pulling for K. Jones to continue the Bear(s) backstroke legacy!

Lastly - on the 100 free note, Alexy takes second to secure his spot on the team with an individual swim. Slower than his semi and prelim times, but a spot is a spot. Heartbreakingly, Lasco (having scratched the 2BK) ends up 7th, one spot out of a relay-only invite to Paris. Really tough to see after a stellar Worlds meet last summer and great NCs this year.
swimmer19
I was fortunate enough to watch tonight's session poolside at Lucas Oil. The atmosphere is unlike any other, with a lights show and varying entertainment acts to liven the audience.

HBear summed up most of the swims tonight. Really good showing by all Bears.

Also worth mentioning that rising junior Abby Herscu's second swim in the 200 breast tonight led to yet another PB after not improving since 2021. She's had a successful college season, setting PBs and finaling at Pac-12s, qualifying for NCAA's and resetting her times at the big show, so good to see her build on her success this summer.

Re: Lasco- there was about 35 minutes between the 200 back semifinals and 100 free finals tonight. Looking at the college season, where the 200 back and 400 free relay are both on the last day, he struggled mightily in that relay with over 2 hours rest between the two events. Couple that with Keaton Jones suddenly making things interesting in the 2 back, and it's evident a relay spot was the safe choice.

Unfortunate it didn't work out as we all hoped, but he has the 200 IM tomorrow, where he is a dark horse to make the team. Time to refocus and readjust.
Schroeder71
Keaton Jones is amazing at the Olympic trials. He did not show much during the regular season, Pac12s or NCAAs. I thought that there were a couple of freshmen named Jones on the team but I had to check to see if Keaton was one of them. Lasco has always been a clutch swimmer for Cal but has not been swimming his best here. He swam slower tonight that in the semi-finals or he would have made the relay team. He also struggled in the 100-back event. Tough break.
swimmer19
Keaton Jones, welcome to the US Olympic Team!!!

The rising sophomore finishes 2nd to Murph in 1:54.61 and will be headed to Paris!
MoragaBear
Staff
Here's a story and video interview we did with those guys a couple months ago:

https://bearinsider.com/s/3993/bear-insider-video-cal-swimmers-destin-lasco-jack-alexy-keaton-jones
socaliganbear
Is there a tracker somewhere of how many Olympians we're pacing to send this year?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.