Furds Canady in transfer portal.

5,068 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by CalWSportsFan
Ccajon2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hopefully the Topeka product wants to stay local. I think she was unhappy about the way she was handled. Started every game past the regionals. Coach Spencer is a far better coach IMHO. She will be nearly unbeatable with Cals hitting behind her.
Schroeder71
Canady's brother is a freshman member of the Cal football team. Why not? If she departs Stanford, that's the end of national prominence for their softball team. GO BEARS!
SBGold
She gone
Ccajon2
And it's apparently for NIL $. Furds won't pay it. Supposedly Nijaree could command $300+500k. Can we Snag some $ from SebastiaBear to get her?
Ccajon2
Her minds made up shes announcing Tue. Obviously Cal is in the mix. (Stay local, her bros on FB team) Others are Okie the big fav, Tx, TAM, maybe Fla, or back to Kansas.
SFCALBear72
It would be a shame if she ended up at OU. You'd think she'd want to go to a team where she could make them immediately a contender for a championship rather than that "ho-hum" softball championship factory in Norman. Where's the fun in that?

Come to Berkeley, NiJaree!!
SBGold
Crazy stuff, how are we going to
Produce 400k for softball
HoopDreams
I can see where the non- FB/BB sports are going

Teams that want to succeed in a sport will buy top players with big NIL dollars

This is already happening in some sports and will probably happen in all but a few sports soon
Ccajon2
HoopDreams said:

I can see where the non- FB/BB sports are going

Teams that want to succeed in a sport will buy top players with big NIL dollars

This is already happening in some sports and will probably happen in all but a few sports soon

I worry if even the sports Cal dominated (Swimming, Water polo,& crew/rowing)will be affected. Others on here say they already have had a war-chest (nil) for years.
Schroeder71
Cal has lost its top two pitchers heading into next season. If ever the softball program wanted a solution for the lack of starting pitching-it would be Nijaree Canady. I doubt that the Bears can come up with elite NIL $$$ but I would think that they could come up with some NIL incentive for the top softball pitcher in the nation. GO BEARS!
CalWSportsFan
In a way, what's the point? Is this really how college sports are going? Might as well have different divisions. NIL D1 and non-NIL D-1. It seems the SEC is becoming essentially a professional league…licensing school colors and paying players. I'd rather watch college sports where student athletes are playing for the love of the game and in some cases, scholarships. Meanwhile why would any self-respecting woman want to attend college in a state where she has zero bodily autonomy?
59bear
CalWSportsFan said:

In a way, what's the point? Is this really how college sports are going? Might as well have different divisions. NIL D1 and non-NIL D-1. It seems the SEC is becoming essentially a professional league…licensing school colors and paying players. I'd rather watch college sports where student athletes are playing for the love of the game and in some cases, scholarships. Meanwhile why would any self-respecting woman want to attend college in a state where she has zero bodily autonomy?
What a quaint idea. Money has driven the college sports bus pretty much for the last 75 years (and, to some extent, much longer). Of course, getting paid is not incompatible with love of the game but it generally does preempt love of one's alma mater. I don't have a problem with athletes getting paid. What I do find troubling are some of the ancillary effects such as: diverting resources to support professional sports when thousands of young people take on crushing debt to get a degree or that olympic sports are in jeopardy on many campuses.
Larno
SFCALBear72 said:

It would be a shame if she ended up at OU. You'd think she'd want to go to a team where she could make them immediately a contender for a championship rather than that "ho-hum" softball championship factory in Norman. Where's the fun in that?

I looked up Oklahoma's roster: 1 player from Oklahoma, 8 from California, 6 from Texas. California HS players populate the rosters of top programs all around the country as the SEC, especially, and other schools have money to throw at players and facilities. Cal struggles to get a new facility while other programs build fabulous stadiums. Pac-Ten/12 and other west coast schools dominated softball for years and kept their players home until these other schools started to pump money into their programs. The best overall HS softball is in California but many now go to the programs outside the footprint of the (former) Pac-12.
TypiCal
I'm getting tidbits of info, but it's just from Reddit, FWIW: OKIE has $250k on the table. Also, leaning towards Neb. They just picked up a good pitcher, plus a former coach and teammate are there. Also travel considerations for the fam. Same for KU. I don't think Cal might be in the picture. She doesn't even have Coach Spencer listed on her X or Instagram accounts. NOT that it matters.
59bear
Larno said:

SFCALBear72 said:

I looked up Oklahoma's roster: 1 player from Oklahoma, 8 from California, 6 from Texas. California HS players populate the rosters of top programs all around the country as the SEC, especially, and other schools have money to throw at players and facilities. Cal struggles to get a new facility while other programs build fabulous stadiums. Pac-Ten/12 and other west coast schools dominated softball for years and kept their players home until these other schools started to pump money into their programs. The best overall HS softball is in California but many now go to the programs outside the footprint of the (former) Pac-12.
This has been going on for 20 years or more as the SEC, in particular, has poured $$$ into facilities, coaches and programs. And, of course, Patti Gasso emigrated from California to build the Oklahoma program. Cal had some momentum going after winning the Natty to improve facilities but it got bogged down in process (or was never funded) and here we are still stumbling over ourselves trying to get it done. Institutional apathy!
CalFanatic
On a different note

kc1121
Texas Tech
CalFanatic
This whole thing is absurd. I'm actively rooting against her at Texas Tech.
kc1121
CalFanatic said:

Same. All about the $$$... Article said seven figures annually...
OBear073akaSMFan
kc1121 said:

CalFanatic said:

Same. All about the $$$... Article said seven figures annually...
Can't blame her. My guess she will stay as long as possible in college, maybe 2 or 3 more years. She will make more money now than in her future professional softball career. Surprise it was TexasTech though, a big 12 team?
Schroeder71
Maybe Texas Tech can climb the softball ladder (like Stanford did) with Nijaree Canady leading the way. Too bad Cal could not afford to pull this off. The Bears have the hitting to compliment her pitching.
Ccajon2
TT hasn't done s*** in softball they're only 700 and 734 all time they've never won a big 12 title always middle of the pack and they've never won a national championship obviously. They didn't play softball between 1985 and 1996. They did hit .311 as a team last year with 60 homers so they do have some offense but their number one starter last year was 11 and 10 with a 5.65 era. Candy will win all of her games but they're not going to move up and be in a national semi finalist or anything like that with her.
kc1121
Ccajon2 said:

TT hasn't done s*** in softball they're only 700 and 734 all time they've never won a big 12 title always middle of the pack and they've never won a national championship obviously. They didn't play softball between 1985 and 1996. They did hit .311 as a team last year with 60 homers so they do have some offense but their number one starter last year was 11 and 10 with a 5.65 era. Candy will win all of her games but they're not going to move up and be in a national semi finalist or anything like that with her.
Looks like they loaded up this summer plus new coach, but we'll see....

Canady becomes the latest addition to the Red Raiders via the transfer portal since Gerry Glasco's arrival as new head coach earlier this month. Following Glasco to Lubbock from Louisiana are outfielder Mihyia Davis (Sun Belt player of the year), catcher Victoria Valdez, pitcher Chloe Riassetto and infielders Lauren Allred and Alexa Langeliers, who signed earlier this week. They join fellow transfers Alana Johnson (Washington), Katie Lott (Oklahoma State) and Frenship grad Makayla Garcia (UT-Tyler).

In addition, Glasco has also been able to keep the 2024 recruiting class, assembled by previous coach Craig Snider, intact. The seven-player class was ranked No. 2 in the nation by Extra Inning Softball. Each of the seven players Brenlee Gonzales, Kiley Huffman, Cassie Johnson, Samantha Lincoln, Bailey Lindmuth, Sydney Shiller and Hailey Toney are listed on the softball team's official Texas Tech athletics website as members of the 2025 roster.

SFCALBear72
With Oklahoma exiting the Big 12, it looks like Texas Tech wants to become the new conference champions.
OBear073akaSMFan
Ccajon2 said:

TT softball attendance last 700+ for conf & 500+ overall. John sellers & wife (oil, gas) the NIL donors. Definitely for the love of the TT's other sports.
Bobodeluxe
lol
Schroeder71
Texas & Oklahoma are gone so it will likely be Okie State that takes over the Big XII. Chelsea Spencer doesn't actively participate in the transfer market like Gerry Glasco. She seems to land one player per year but has done well with high school recruiting.This is a year when she could really use a transfer pitcher with proven skills.
OBear073akaSMFan
Just because coach doesn't sign anyone doesn't mean she is not active. She might just not have the funds like other schools. I for one is glad she is able to maintain most of last year teams.
TypiCal
Scholly available?
TypiCal
CalFanatic said:

What about Randi Roeling? I'm on the fence.
TypiCal
RR went for the $ just like Candy.
CalFanatic
I hope Coach Spencer goes after Rainey hard.

Schroeder71
Me, too. GO BEARS!
TypiCal

Not a bad choice 19-7 1.65. 3-8 against p5 competition. Beat furds and Michigan. 4
0 GPA so qualified

SFCALBear72
Looking at the CSUF roster, Haley Rainey is from Washington and spent her freshman year at Idaho State (named Big Sky Freshman of the Year).
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.