Boise State's Volleyball Forfeits Match Against SJSU Amid Controversy of Trans Player

829 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 20 days ago by SonomanA1
SonomanA1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I found this article interesting. It will also be interesting to see how the legal challenges get resolved including Title IX. Cal is not scheduled to play SJSU this year.

Article on the controversy

This was surprising but was in another article:

Slusser began sharing a residence with four of her teammates, including Fleming. She was also assigned to room with Fleming, who specifically requested her, on team road trips.
bear2034
CalWSportsFan
Libs of Tik Tok doesn't care about "women's sports." These right-wing, hateful loons would be the first to dismantle Title IX if given the chance. This is performative, targeted venom to gin up hate directed at a small minority of people.

I shake my head every time I see this nonsense about "protecting women's sports" when most of these same folks are also not interested in protecting women's bodily autonomy. At least be consistent eh?
SFCALBear72
Your "article on the controversy" is from the New York Post. Not exactly a media outlet friendly to the LGBTQ+ community.

The San Jose State player has not self-identified as a trans woman. It's pure "speculation" on the part of Boise State.
CalFanatic
That account seems to "care about women's sports" while gleefully cheering on the fact that women are bleeding out in parking lots due to anti-choice legislation.

Sorry but spare me the fake outrage. Wondering how this relates to Cal? Did we partake in this match?
CalFanatic
Also…remember when that account doxxed a 14 year old child earlier this year? Pure evil.
Nasal Mucus Goldenbear

GENETIC FALLACY

Quote:

The genetic fallacy (also known as the fallacy of origins or fallacy of virtue)[1] is a fallacy of irrelevance in which arguments or information are dismissed or validated based solely on their source of origin rather than their content. In other words, a claim is ignored or given credibility based on its source rather than the claim itself.

The fallacy therefore fails to assess the claim on its merit. The first criterion of a good argument is that the premises must have bearing on the truth or falsity of the claim in question.[2] Genetic accounts of an issue may be true and may help illuminate the reasons why the issue has assumed its present form, but they are not conclusive in determining its merits.[3]

In The Oxford Companion to Philosophy (1995), it is asserted that the term originated in Morris Raphael Cohen and Ernest Nagel's book Logic and Scientific Method [4] (1934). However, in a book review published in The Nation in 1926, Mortimer J. Adler complained that The Story of Philosophy by Will Durant was guilty throughout of "the fallacy of genetic interpretation." Adler characterized the genetic fallacy generally as "the substitution of psychology for logic."[5]

SonomanA1
SFCALBear72 said:

Your "article on the controversy" is from the New York Post. Not exactly a media outlet friendly to the LGBTQ+ community.

The San Jose State player has not self-identified as a trans woman. It's pure "speculation" on the part of Boise State.
I found the NY Post article to be more complete than others. Here is 1 from the Chron, but you can search for others too:

SF Chron Article

It was not just Boise State. Southern Utah also forfeited against SJSU. A SJSU player has filed a lawsuit too.
SFCALBear72
Another perspective:

Boise State volleyball forfeits match over possible trans athlete - Outsports
SonomanA1
CalFanatic said:

That account seems to "care about women's sports" while gleefully cheering on the fact that women are bleeding out in parking lots due to anti-choice legislation.

Sorry but spare me the fake outrage. Wondering how this relates to Cal? Did we partake in this match?
I follow Cal volleyball and will be attending their match on Friday. While Cal is not scheduled to play SJSU during the regular season this year, they may play them in the tournament. SJSU is a division 1 school in the Bay Area, so they are a local rival.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.