Women's Soccer faces #1 North Carolina today (Thursday, 10-10)

822 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by SFCALBear72
CalWSportsFan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
2 big games this week!
Quote:

Fresh off a bye week, the No. 10 California women's soccer returns to Edwards Stadium to host two of the top programs in collegiate soccer. The Golden Bears host No. 1 North Carolina on Thursday afternoon before facing No. 3 Duke on Sunday afternoon.

Cal (10-1-2, 3-0-1 ACC), winner of nine of its last 11 matches, takes an 11-match unbeaten streak into the weekend. This is the best record the Bears have had through their first 13 matches since 2000, when Cal began the year 11-1-1.

The two North Carolina-based rivals are both listed as the top team in the country in different polls. The Tar Heels (12-1-0, 5-0-0) rank first in RPI and on Top Drawer Soccer's weekly national poll, while ranking third on the United Soccer Coaches poll. The Blue Devils (9-1-0, 4-0-0) have been dubbed the nation's team to beat by United Soccer Coaches and rank third according to Top Drawer Soccer. Duke's RPI is eighth.

Match Information

No. 1 North Carolina (12-1-0, 5-0-0)
  • Date and Time: Thursday, Oct. 10, 4 p.m. PT
  • Live Stream: ACCNX
  • Live Stats: Statbroadcast

ncbears
Ugh.
ACC refs call a penalty in the 90th minute. Cal makes the save, but UNC shooter gets the rebound and scores.
1-0 final.

The ACCNx broadcast had no replay to judge whether it was a penalty or not.
CalWSportsFan
Ugh is right!!!
Schroeder71
It certainly looks as if these ACC officiating crews are protecting their top teams. Multiple calls should have been made against #6 Miami last Saturday night in football and were not flagged. In the soccer match vs #1 UNC, they call a penalty shot foul against Cal in the 90th minute with the score tied 0-0. I did not see the foul but usually refs try to avoid making calls that decide the outcome of the game. It appears that Cal needs to defeat the top rankeACC teams and the ACC officials. What the heck is going on in our new conference?
ncbears
Schroeder71 said:

It certainly looks as if these ACC officiating crews are protecting their top teams. Multiple calls should have been made against #6 Miami last Saturday night in football and were not flagged. In the soccer match vs #1 UNC, they call a penalty shot foul against Cal in the 90th minute with the score tied 0-0. I did not see the foul but usually refs try to avoid making calls that decide the outcome of the game. It appears that Cal needs to defeat the top rankeACC teams and the ACC officials. What the heck is going on in our new conference?
I only saw it when it happened - on the broadcast. It was a close thing - both as to whether it was in the box and whether it was a foul at al. While the Ref had replays, none were shown on the broadcast.
Cal's Lema was in UNC box moments early flat on her back and she did get a shot off - albeit a pretty weak shot. How she went down was a bit questionable but there was no call. There was another possible fould just outside the box on the left wing a few moments earlier that also was not called.

I only watched the final 20 minutes - and UNC was dominating the field of play. Cal was trying to counter, but mostly Cal collapsed and played defense. I'm not saying Cal played not to lose - because Cal was able to get some good quick counters going. So, that appeared the game plan - take lots of punches and play for one knockout counterpunch.

That Cal's goalie made the save but that the ball bounced back out in front of the UNC shooter before any other players could even get close was ... unfortunate.
Ccajon2
That was a legit tripping call against the Cal Defender--watch the hi-lights on YouTube. But your right we aren't getting any Calls. Probably won't all year. #3 furds have lost two conference games already. Have to stay in the top 6 to make the conference tournament.
Schroeder71
I don't think that the calls were intentional but the calls in question were right at the end of the games.
GO BEARS!
SFCALBear72
Bears up 1-0 over Duke at the half.

Karlie Lema with the goal.

Duke 2
Cal 1

Final

fyi. Duke beat Stanford 4-1 on Thursday.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.