2018 Women's Swimming Recruiting

141,703 Views | 309 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by UrsusArctosCalifornicus
bearchamp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Given the social-economic realities of swimming, seems to me many swimmers don't need financial aid to go to college and can choose a school without regard to aid issues.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
UrsusArctosCalifornicus said:

Back Row: Morgan Tankersley (Recruit) ... Alex Sumner (Commit) ... Mary-Sophie Harvey or Callie Dickinson or ?? (Recruit) ... Elise Garcia (Commit) ... Eva Merrell (Recruit)
Front Row: Ema Rajic (Commit) ... Cassidy Bayer (Commit)

Hopefully the key verbals from Eva (#1) & Morgan (#4) will flow in before the 30th - would really prefer not to endure a rehash of the heartbreaks we were hit with after the Furd's recruiting weekends of 2016 & 2017!!! :p

--------

#4 MORGAN TANKERSLEY ANNOUNCES VERBAL COMMITMENT TO STANFORD

https://swimswam.com/4-morgan-tankersley-announces-verbal-commitment-stanford/

--------

Morgan Tankersley: "I'm so excited to announce my verbal commitment to swim and study at Stanford University!!!! Thanks so much for my friends, family, and coaches who have made this possible I'm really looking forward to spending my next 4 years on the farm!!!! Fear the Tree"

--------
PalyBear
sigh . . .
BearDevil
bearchamp said:

Given the social-economic realities of swimming, seems to me many swimmers don't need financial aid to go to college and can choose a school without regard to aid issues.

$s (athletic scholly or straight financial aid) still don't pencil out unless one or both Ledecky and Manuel (academically a senior) go pro after this season.

Allie Raab is a very good swimmer, but she's not getting a full ride. Double legacy (mom swam on the farm), but her dad's a surgeon and even with five kids, she's not eligible for much financial aid.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus

Back Row: Morgan Tankersley (Recruit) ... Alex Sumner (Commit) ... Mary-Sophie Harvey or Callie Dickinson or ?? (Recruit) ... Elise Garcia (Commit) ... Eva Merrell (Recruit)

Front Row: Ema Rajic (Commit) ... Cassidy Bayer (Commit)

- revised guess is that our mystery recruit may possibly be Callie Dickinson (#69 CS)??

https://www.collegeswimming.com/swimmer/352194/

Callie made the trip to Georgia this weekend, alongside Jessie Nava (#37) + Kaki Christensen (#53) who both went on to verbal to UVa, and Kaylee Wheeler (#124) who then committed to Louisville.

--------

Callie Dickinson: So excited announce my verbal commitment and further my academic and swimming career at the University of Georgia!! Can't wait for the years to come! Go dawgs

--------

UPDATE ->

BACK/FLY/IMER CALLIE DICKINSON HANDS GEORGIA BULLDOGS THEIR 8TH VERBAL

https://swimswam.com/backflyimer-callie-dickinson-hands-georgia-bulldogs-8th-verbal/

--------
Bearfan7
Stanford, Georgia, Texas, Texas A and M appear to dominate the 2018 recruiting class...
Bearfan7
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
--------

Hallie Kinsey (#5 CA, #32 Nat), Izzi Henig (#8 CA, #49 Nat) or Vivian Wang could be some of the locals destined for Berkeley.

--------

Whilst out east @ Princeton:

Ali Truwit (#333), Sarah Grinalds (#20), Vivian Wang (#85), Cathy Teng (#46), Monika Burzynska, Isabelle Odgers (#91)

Vivian Wang : I am beyond ecstatic to announce my verbal commitment to the application process at Princeton University!!! I'd like to give huge thanks to my parents, teammates, and coaches for supporting me along the way! I can't wait to study and swim at such a prestigious school; GO TIGERS!!!! #classof2022

--------

UPDATE (23 Sept) => Guess it's an official recruiting trip for Cathy! (photobomb courtesy of Amy lol)

Cathy Teng : I am so excited to commit to the application process at Princeton University! I owe infinite thanks to the people who've supported me in and out of the pool, and I can't wait to be a tiger and spend the next four years with this amazing team! #2022

--------
bearz012
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
--------

USA Swimming Honors Second Annual 18 & Under World 100

The top ranked 50 men and top ranked 50 women were selected according to their highest 18 & under world ranking in an individual Olympic event.

Rank | Name | Event | Time | 18 WR* | FINA Pts |
7 | Sumner, Alex | 200 Back | 2:09.04 | 6 | 904 |
16 | Bayer, Cassidy | 100 Fly | 58.97 | 12 | 859 |
23 | Harrison, Alicia | 100 Breast | 1:08.94 | 16 | 817 |
49 | Rajic, Ema | 100 Breast | 1:09.62 | 32 | 793 |

* Denotes 18 & Under World Ranking

https://www.usaswimming.org/docs/default-source/national-junior-teamdocuments/rosters/2017-world-100-roster.pdf

--------
bearz012

- Canadians Rebecca Smith (#27 CS) -> Georgia?? & 2018/2019 breaststroker Faith Knelson ...think that Faith's being recruited by Salo for the Trojanettes, as is 2019 Jade Hannah...but there's a chance that they may be interested in Cal as well.
https://www.collegeswimming.com/swimmer/344279/
https://swimswam.com/world-junior-champ-rebecca-smith-join-university-toronto/
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
bearz012 said:

- Canadians Rebecca Smith (#27 CS) -> Georgia?? & 2018/2019 breaststroker Faith Knelson ...think that Faith's being recruited by Salo for the Trojanettes, as is 2019 Jade Hannah...but there's a chance that they may be interested in Cal as well.
https://www.collegeswimming.com/swimmer/344279/
https://swimswam.com/world-junior-champ-rebecca-smith-join-university-toronto/

Better Toronto than yet another Canadian top recruit committing to UGA or to any of the other top American swim teams (other than Bears haha)!

Wonder if this will have an impact on Mary-Sophie Harvey's collegiate decision?

MSH checking out her Canadian options this weekend:

https://instagr.am/p/BZb1Gzvnn_r

tedbear
This recruiting season has been so disappointing. With Rebecca Smith to U of Toronto, the likelihood of MSH coming here is pretty much zero. If MSH follows RS to U of T, and Penny follows the next year, I will basically be a huge U of T fan ! No excuses this year about the talent pool not being deep, because this is the best class of swimmers in the past three years. We just struck out on most of the big names. So sad.
OBear073akaSMFan
tedbear said:

This recruiting season has been so disappointing. With Rebecca Smith to U of Toronto, the likelihood of MSH coming here is pretty much zero. If MSH follows RS to U of T, and Penny follows the next year, I will basically be a huge U of T fan ! No excuses this year about the talent pool not being deep, because this is the best class of swimmers in the past three years. We just struck out on most of the big names. So sad.
Other than the recruitment of Reece Whitney, the guys recruiting has been disappointing too! Is it 2 in the top 100?
bearz012
barabbas
OBear073akaSMFan said:

tedbear said:

Other than the recruitment of Reece Whitney, the guys recruiting has been disappointing too! Is it 2 in the top 100?
We're not talking about men's swimming, but since you have brought it up, the guys have several years of the top recruiting class. It's a totally different situation; i don't know anyone worrying about the men's recruiting, but I don't know anyone who isn't worried about the women.
Microbear85
I'm concerned about recruiting . . . but, haven't heard many plausible theories as to what the problem is. I was wondering if it was simply the case that Teri is having a hard time winning a recruiting battle against G. Meehan. But, seems like we're losing out to many teams now. Any insight out there?
Bay Swimmer
So for the class of 2015 Teri didn't announce Weitzeil until signing day. She ended up being a full scholarship commitment for the class of 2016 then along with her 2016 got Murphy, Devine, Blovad, Mykkanan (sp?). For the class of 2017 (hold tight I promise to make my point) for the class of 2017 we didn't hear about the two biggest recruits until the very end of the recruiting window. So, accident or strategy?

I think strategy. Cal was getting HEAT and negative press for recruiting so much top talent, that came to a head with Missy's class and only got worse through the class of 2015. I think Teri is holding off on at least one major recruit until the end of the recruiting cycle. And that's brilliant because Stanford is getting the heat right now. Ppl are gonna start saying things like $tandord which they deserve.

Don't get me wrong, Cal missed out on some major recruits. However, MSH, Grinalds, and Homovich have still not committed. Those are just the ones we know about though.

Just saying... it's far from over this year.
tedbear
Bay Swimmer said:

So for the class of 2015 Teri didn't announce Weitzeil until signing day. She ended up being a full scholarship commitment for the class of 2016 then along with her 2016 got Murphy, Devine, Blovad, Mykkanan (sp?). For the class of 2017 (hold tight I promise to make my point) for the class of 2017 we didn't hear about the two biggest recruits until the very end of the recruiting window. So, accident or strategy?

I think strategy. Cal was getting HEAT and negative press for recruiting so much top talent, that came to a head with Missy's class and only got worse through the class of 2015. I think Teri is holding off on at least one major recruit until the end of the recruiting cycle. And that's brilliant because Stanford is getting the heat right now. Ppl are gonna start saying things like $tandord which they deserve.

Don't get me wrong, Cal missed out on some major recruits. However, MSH, Grinalds, and Homovich have still not committed. Those are just the ones we know about though.

Just saying... it's far from over this year.
Homovich is a Georgia commit, but I love your optimism about the other two. I just personally don't see it, although I hope to be very wrong.
solobear
Cal recruits are better at LM, and some will be Olympians. They stack up well against Forde and Merrell who are considered best of 17 & 18.
- Alicia Wilson is better than Forde at speed, fly, and back although Forde is better at endurance and breast.
- Alex Sumner has the best 200L back though her walls need improvement.
- Darcel has the best 200 IM.
- Bayer has the best fly events.
- Neuman is about as good as Merrell at free events.
Thankfully, these recruits chose Cal.
Also, Manuel is graduating, and Weitzeil is faster than Ruck.

Events Wilson Darcel Bayer Forde Merrell
50 L Free 26.23 26.30 26.39 27.24 25.74
100 L Free 56.70 57.10 56.96 56.67 55.38
100 L Back 1:03.97 1:05.77 1:01.15
100 L Breast 1:13.33 1:10.59 1:12.21
200 L Breast 2:38.98 2:28.12 2:30.41
50 L Fly 27.28 27.35 29.29 27.31
100 L Fly 1:01.00 1:00.17 58.35 1:02.57 58.58
200 L IM 2:14.60 2:12.32 2:16.80 2:13.92 2:32.30
400 L IM 4:52.65 4:39.83 4:39.19

UrsusArctosCalifornicus

Hey good discussion, learning from everyone's input

Perhaps our expectations have in a sense outpaced practical reality, having been more than a wee spoilt by the phenomenal recruiting run of Bootsie & Lizzie, Missy and the Dream Team (Thleen, Billy, McL & Abbey)...not to mention 4 NCAA Championship titles (2009, 2011, 2012, 2015) + 9 consecutive Top 3 finishes in recent history...guess we are not too willing or quite ready/prepared yet to accept a relatively down cycle in the overall scheme of things?

Dynasties do rise & fall, as we saw with Georgia who only snapped out of their recruiting funk in the last class (starting with #1 Courtney Harnish), but now rapidly picking up steam again with their impressive haul of 2018 commits.

Even with all the panicked disappointment and massive gnashing of teeth on this board lol, our froski class of 2016 ended up being rated #2 in the nation (alright, Abbey may have tipped the scales more than a lil in Bears' favour haha), with 2017 @ #5.

Heck, Cal Women's Swimming does as good a job as anyone in attracting high-level athletic & academic prospects (who are also good fits with the team & school) to take their official trips here.

However will concede that Bears have met with less than our usual elevated standards of success when it comes to "closing the deal", as of late:

Known visitors who went elsewhere (may have missed some key names) - rankings per Swimswam or CollegeSwimming, whichever was the higher at the time:
  • 2015: #1 Ella Eastin (LSJU), #19 Kirsten Vose (USC), #61 Megan Popp (Harvard)
  • 2016: #1 Meghan Small (Tenn), #1 Katie Drabot (LSJU), #12 Hannah Cox (Zona), #48 Amy Okada (UCLA)
  • 2017: #10 Grace Zhao (LSJU), #12 Ashley Volpenhein (LSJU), #15 Alexis Margett (Michigan), #31 Olivia Anderson (UGA), #53 Katie Glavinovich (LSJU), #67 Ingrid Wall (Harvard)
  • 2018: #1 Eva Merrell (UGA), #1 Taylor Ruck - unofficial visit (LSJU), #4 Morgan Tankersley (LSJU), #46 Cathy Teng (Princeton), #69 Callie Dickinson (UGA)

Associate head coach/recruiting coordinator Kristen Cunnane leaving to focus on her family in the summer of 2015 may have had an even bigger impact than previously anticipated - always felt that Kristen was the perfect foil & complement to Teri in the recruiting arena, they made for a really great team!

Reckon it may take a couple of seasons for Sarah Dunleavy to really hit her stride at the recruiting end of things... though I do feel that her bright enthusiasm and relatability are very promising assets that will bear fruit given time.

As pointed out by Bay Swimmer, Missy's high profile superstar status drew as much negative press as it did positive, even after (actually especially after) her 2 years here with the team were up, followed subsequently by her decision to go back to Todd to prep for Rio.

Cierra's transfer to Wisconsin + even McL's injury lent additional fuel to some unfairly caustic rumours (from a handful of "fans" on a certain swim site) maliciously slandering the coaching ***

All far from the truth...but guess if one keeps repeating a conspiracy mantra over & over again in a simplistic black & white manner, that may be enough to plant a seed of doubt in some recruits & their families' minds (e.g. just look at the present political environment :p).

Anyway, the early signing period's coming up soon (8 - 15 Nov).

Wouldn't come as a complete shocker if at that time we learn thru Cal's official press release about another talent coming on board (as in Robin's case last season), or after the regular signing period which commences in April 2018 (as with Sarah Darcel this year).

Teri will surely have a few tricks up her sleeves as usual, including possibly adding a lower-profile recruit who holds a massive upside - see Madds (2016) & Ali (2017).

Not that our quintet of early 2018 commits aren't already quite a formidable group by any standard!

Cassidy (wooed by $C + a bunch of other top schools) & Elise (sought after by a certain country club on the other side of the bay lol) are both Top 20 recruits.

Alex (honourable mention on SS's Top 20 list) & Ema already showing the potential to develop quite a bit above their current rankings, as evidenced in their hitting some massive PBs in multiple events over the summer.

Alicia's currently a bit of an unknown when it comes to SCY...but her versatility, sprint free & shorter IM could prove to be a very pleasant surprise.

Last but not least, cheers to solobear for compiling & analysing all those interesting stats on our latest baby Bears!

NCAA titles in the little pool may be the cat's meow in the collegiate picture, and the furdette juggernaut is looking set to steamroll over all the competition by all accounts. Not that Bears are completely out of the picture here, I'd imagine our women's smashing run of Top 3 finishes will continue for a while.

But the Olympics (i.e. long course when it comes to the sport of swimming) brings one a special sort of prestige like in no other amateur sports competitions, and that is the area in which Bears have such a rich history & tradition of truly shining

Go Bears!

--------

*** UPDATE:

--------

25 YEARS WITH TERI MCKEEVER

A trailblazer in her profession, Teri McKeever has directed Cal to four NCAA team championships during her tenure.

Caitlin Smith: "There are few people in my life who have had as much of an influence on me as Teri," "While I am very proud of the medals and trophies that Teri helped me to achieve, the impression she had on my life is so much more than these fleeting accolades. Teri helped me to learn truly lifelong lessons, including self-realization and confidence, and an ability to take risks and embrace failure as an opportunity to grow. I am no longer coached by her on a daily basis, but her teachings and inspiration are still embedded in my daily life."

Smith touches on a common theme among current Golden Bears and alumnae alike McKeever's care about student-athletes outside of the pool as a trait that sets her apart as a mentor.

Rachel Bootsma: "One of the things I love about Teri is one of the first things I noticed when I was being recruited - she was recruiting me as a person, not just my times and my name on a piece of paper. She really cared about who I was, who my family was, where I came from, and that was really special to me. She really approaches it as making the whole swimmer a better person. Obviously, I want my times to get better, but also I want to grow mentally, emotionally and socially, and I want to be able to perform in the classroom and in the pool."

Kathleen Baker: "I like that Teri really cares about you as a person, not only as just a swimmer. She helps you grow in all aspects of life."

Dana Vollmer: "Teri is someone who understands the balance of your personal life and your swimming," "It's about becoming a strong young lady here at Cal in combination with having the best performance that you can in the pool."

Rachael Acker: "My time working with Teri has been incredible," "She has created a supportive environment that strives for excellence in all areas. I couldn't have asked for a more supportive and compassionate coach."

--------

Bearfan7
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
--------

Bears ranked #4 here. That's with not taking Alicia Wilson's potential into consideration. Floswimming also has Simone incorrectly listed as graduating, forgetting that Manuel had redshirted for Rio (still, we are all cheering on the furdette sprint stud to go pro early lol).

For more details, read up the full article at the link below.

--------

Top 10 Recruiting Rankings | Women's Class Of 2022

1.) Stanford

Key 2018 Losses: Simone Manuel, Janet Hu, Ally Howe, & Lindsey Engel

Rationale
Anytime a team loses a combined 19 NCAA titles in a single year, one would imagine they have some serious rebuilding to do. Not Stanford. Greg Meehan filled all of the holes he needed to with the 2018 class.

Lose Simone Manuel? Gain five (5) 22-mid to 22-low sprint freestylers. Lose 100 fly/100 back superstar Janet Hu? Gain a pair of 52 100 backstrokers and and 52 100 flier. Need a breaststroker? No problem, you get two sub-1:00 and sub-2:10 talents.

The dynasty being built in Palo Alto, CA, is extraordinarily impressive. The Cardinal's No. 1 recruit, Taylor Ruck, already has a pair of Olympic medals to her name. All in all, incoming Stanford freshmen amassed 14 medals at this past summer's FINA World Junior Championships in Indianapolis. There's no debate Stanford has the No. 1 recruiting class.

2.) Georgia

Key 2018 Losses: Chelsea Britt, Megan Kingsley, Stephanie Peters, Meaghan Raab, & Kylie Stewart

Rationale
Georgia might be preparing to lose some big-time NCAA scorers, but the Bulldogs are gaining more than adequate replacements. Just about every single incoming freshman has already posted times that would qualify for NCAAs.

This class has the markings of a Jack Bauerle team versatility and mid-D specialists who are capable of swimming down to the 50/100 for relay purposes. Eva Merrell might be UGA's No. 1 recruit, but Dakota Luther is coming off a huge summer qualifying for the 2017 FINA World Championships in Budapest, Hungary.

3.) Texas

Key 2018 Losses: Rebecca Millard

Rationale
Head coach Carol Capitani is doing big things in Austin, Texas. The Longhorns' biggest upcoming loss is 21/47 freestyler Rebecca Millard. But, what's the best thing that can happen when a team loses a talent like that? Grab commitments from two swimmers who are capable of picking up the slack. Julia Cook has already been 22.3 and 48.4. Grace Ariola has already been 22.2 and 48.9. As long as Capitani can continue to develop talent at an increasing rate, this Texas team will continue to fight for top three finishes at NCAAs.

4.) Cal

Key 2018 Losses: Valerie Hull, Maija Roses, & Noemie Thomas

Rationale
The biggest upcoming loss for Teri McKeever's squad is certainly Noemie Thomas. At NCAAs last year, Thomas was fifth in the 100 fly, 10th in the 200 fly, and a major key on Cal's relays. The good news for the Golden Bears? They pick up Cassidy Bayer and Elise Garcia two studs who have both been 52 in the 100 fly and 1:55 and 1:56, respectively, in the 200. Not to be forgotten, Kathleen Baker picks up a serious training partner in 1:52 backstroker Alex Sumner.

5.) NC State
6.) Florida
7.) Virginia
8.) Texas A&M
9.) Tennessee
10.) Indiana

--------
tedbear
So, I guess we were right about Simone leaving. It's the only thing that made sense with all the scholarship money they are using this year.
zeldazcat
I think the bears will pull through with Teri's strong recruiting. While we many not have as many top 20 recruits, that ultimately means nothing in the end. (Look at Maddie and Sarah and Robin) I am confident we will have a very talented 2018 team (if Simone is leaving, we still have a chance to win a title with our dream team!)
UrsusArctosCalifornicus

Well said, zeldazcat! Continuity in recruiting the best talent is of course key if winning National Championships is the highest priority, and top end depth reigns when it comes to NCAA scoring.

However, important as this all is, esp when it comes to a programme with a stellar record like the one which both of our swim squads have made for themselves over the years, I think Teri's philosophy of placing equal if not greater emphasis on welcoming recruits who are a good mutual fit and guiding their personal life development beyond purely the pool is the right path to take, even if such an approach may on occasion not necessarily result in winning it all

Anyway, the early signing period's coming up soon (8 - 15 Nov).
Going to be offline for most of tomorrow, which is when I expect the official announcement on our 2018 frosh class will be released, so would appreciate it if someone can kindly post updates on this - esp if we get a surprise signee or two (*cough* MSH, Grinalds, etc...albeit likely just a spot of wishful thinking on my part haha )
HBear
Official write-up on baby bears here :

http://www.calbears.com/news/2017/11/7/womens-swimming-diving-bears-add-5-swimmers-for-2018-19.aspx?path=wswim

Just our 5 for this early signing period: Cassidy, Elise, Ema, Alex, Alicia
tedbear
I love Alicia's accent! She can read bedtime stories for me .
BearDevil
tedbear said:

Hopefully she can spell and swim better than UAC!

Good haul so far for the Bears, but have a feeling there's still a big international fish out there in the late signing period.
zeldazcat
Haha noticed that most of our recruits had wet hair when they filmed the videos, futher proving their constant hard work in and out of the pool!
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
--------

HBear said:

Official write-up on baby bears here :

http://www.calbears.com/news/2017/11/7/womens-swimming-diving-bears-add-5-swimmers-for-2018-19.aspx?path=wswim

Just our 5 for this early signing period: Cassidy, Elise, Ema, Alex, Alicia

BearDevil said:

tedbear said:

Hopefully she can spell and swim better than UAC!

Good haul so far for the Bears, but have a feeling there's still a big international fish out there in the late signing period.
For some unknown reason, my admittedly over-verbose post was published with just the quoted sections intact (too lengthy??!), so trying again here with an extremely abbreviated & edited version - if I can recall what I had originally penned lol.

First of all, a beary warm welcome goes out to our 2018 Baby Bears!!!

Relatively compact but very talented & intelligent group of signees, with some great personalities it seems from that video. All 5 with high prospects of being or becoming NCAA scorers, as well as flourishing in the highly competitive academic environment here.

Would agree that another international signing may emerge during the regular period (11 April - 1 Aug 2018), with perhaps a diver or two. Note that furdettes have already secured the top 2 divers for the HS class of 2018, on top of their incredible haul of elite swimmers.

btw dead chuffed to have tedbear's approval of our lass from the Home Counties lol - note to CalBears tho: it's "Guildford" and not "Guilford"...

Do rather look forward to Alicia "bring a bit of English culture & humour" to the team haha. More importantly, teaching Bears "how to make a good cuppa" (hint: milk & sugar mandatory ... Lipton addicts need not apply )

--------

--------

--------
UrsusArctosCalifornicus

btw dead chuffed to have tedbear's approval of our lass from the Home Counties lol - note to CalBears tho: it's "Guildford" and not "Guilford"...

On reflection that's a relatively trivial transgression considering most Americans would be unfamiliar anyway with English towns, well other than London that is haha.

Much more embarrassing -> down on the farm, it seems that they don't even know how to correctly spell the name of one of their best recruits, even on their official press releases (i.e. "Tankersley" not "Tankersly")

Cardinal Introduces Class of 2022

Morgan Tankersly
High School: H.B. Plant High School
Hometown: Tampa, Fla.
Club Team: Greater Tampa Swimming Association
Strokes: Free
Three Swim Facts: Swimming World's 2016-17 Female National Swimmer of the Year, multiple All-American (2014-16), holds three state high school records (100, 200 and 500 free).
Three Fun Facts: I have played the piano since I was six. I also play the violin, but not as well as the piano. My dream is to dive with and study great white sharks.

UrsusArctosCalifornicus

BearDevil;842801451 said:

Penny, Ivey, and Kate Douglass would be a good trade for KB, Amy, and McL in 2019!
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842801481 said:

+1000!!!

Don't forget to leave room in the scholly coffers for Alex Walsh & Regan Smith in 2020 though!

Oh, wouldn't mind if the tall bloke below (2018 class) was to become a baby :bear: on the men's side either... :p

Isabel Ivey with Reece Whitley

Isabel Ivey @ Iupui Natatorium: the duo is backkk #worldchamptrials2017

Izzie with Cassidy Bayer

--------

Was just thinking how sweet it would be (for us ) if versatile 2019 top prospect Izzie was to commit here in the next recruiting cycle, so that Bears can be treated to a repeat performance, over 3 successive seasons, of her resounding victory over top furdette Morgan Tankersley in the 200 Free tonight (see writeup below)...

Ivey currently holds a swifter PB in this event (1:43.64 - Dec 2016) over Tankersley (1:44.31 - Nov 2016 = FL HS State Record).

She did bust out a new State record in her 100 Breast with a strong 1:00.99, almost 4 sec ahead of the runner-up! Former FL HS record had stood at 1:01.68 from 2015.

Izzie's 48.89 leadoff on Bucholz's 400 Free Relay (new state record) would have beaten Micayla Cronk's 49.58 winning time in the 100 Free individual.

Her 22.46 anchor split on the 200 Free Relay (another relay state record) trumped Morgan's 22.74 flying split. The pair being the only ones in the entire field to dip below the 23 sec barrier in this event.

(Izzie holding the trophy)
https://instagr.am/p/BbVtk4_hYZI

--------

Isabel Ivey, Talia Bates Clock Meet Records As Buchholz Girls Dominate Florida 4A Meet

Bucholz went two for two, as junior Isabel Ivey took 200 freestyle gold with her 1:44.68. The effort was not enough to take down the state record. Record holder and Plant senior Morgan Tankersley touched second 1:46.75, graduating with the state record still in her name.

After coming up short in the 200 free, Ivey clocked her state record, a 1:00.99 100 breaststroke.

Buchholz continued their dominant run as Bates, Cronin, Georgia Bates, and Ivey combined for a 1:31.66 to crush the field and take the 200 freestyle relay state record.

Ivey, Balbuena, Bates, and Bates then wrapped up the impressive performance, destroying the field and the state record in the 400 freestyle relay with a 3:20.95.

--------

UPDATE (Swimswam report) =>

IVEY DOWNS 100 BREAST STATE RECORD AS BUCHHOLZ WINS FLORIDA 4A STATES

Buchholz's Ivey came through with a pair of wins, taking down 2016 state champ Morgan Tankersley of Plant in the 200 free. Tankersley stayed withing half a second of Ivey at the 100-yard mark, but Ivey took off on the 3rd 50 to seal the deal, winning in 1:44.68 to Tankersley's 1:46.75.

In her next individual race, the 100 breast, Ivey blasted a new State Record. She turned in 29.02 and continued to pull away from the field as she touched in 1:00.99, posting a best time by 2.5 seconds and taking almost 7 tenths off the former State Record, which stood at a 1:01.68 done by Caroline White in 2015.

Next up was the 200 free relay, in which Talia Bates (23.05 leadoff), Cronin (23.00), Georgia Bates (23.15), and Isabel Ivey (22.46) put up a record-setting 1:31.66.

Finally, the team demolished the 400 free relay record, with Ivey leading the way in a 48.89 leadoff followed by Balbuena (50.28), Georgia Bates (51.81), and Talia Bates (49.97) en route to a 3:20.95.

• FLORIDA COACH commented: "Morgan and Isabel are coming off bad Spring and Summer injuries. They are equally talented, with the difference between them being; Isabel trains with a Senior National program and Morgan trains with an Age Group program."

--------
tedbear
Ivey >>>>Tankersley
zeldazcat
Meanwhile UGA 2018 class is shaping up to be better than Stanford's IMO as they have better sprinters which equals more relay value!
https://swimswam.com/uga-snags-2015-world-jr-champ-gabrielle-faamausili-for-next-fall/
Georgia has added a surprising new name to their class of 2022 in New Zealand's Gabrielle Fa'amausili. The team announced her commitment to their incoming class with a tweet today, adding a big name to an already-impressive class. Fa'amausili trains with United Swimming Club in Auckland and attends Avondale College currently.
The 18-year-old won the 50 backstroke World Jr title in 2015, breaking the World Jr record in the process (that mark is now held by Australia's Minna Atherton). She was also a finalist in the 100 back at those championships. At the senior level, Fa'amausili competed at the 2017 World Championships in Budapest last summer, swimming to a 23rd place in the 50 back prelims.
Fa'amausili also holds the New Zealand 50 backstroke record along with several age group records in sprint free and backstroke.
TOP TIMES (LCM)
50m free 25.02
100m free 55.89
50m back 27.81
100m back 1:00.74
50m fly 27.93
Fa'amausili is a fantastic sprinter, which is exactly what the Bulldogs need since the graduation of All-Americans Olivia Smoliga and Chantal van Landeghem. The Kiwi is a pure sprinter, which should make her a deadly weapon for the 200 medley and 200 free relays in particular.
While it's unclear what she'll be able to do in yards, Fa'amausili's best times are very similar to those of top American teenagers Grace Ariola and Lucie Nordmann. Her best times in the sprint freestyle are from this year but she hasn't dropped time in backstroke since 2017 regardless, at face value, Georgia has snagged an essential piece to buff up their relays and possibly make waves individually on a national level.
UGA is trending up with a monster class incoming. #1 Eva Merrell, #11 Dakota Luther, #12 Olivia Carter, Top 20 HM Madison Homovich, Callie Dickinson, Addison Kelly, Caroline Aikins and Tatum Smith are all expected to be training in Athens next fall with the 'Dawgs.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.