volleyball

8,259 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by HoopDreams
oskigobears
How long do you want to ignore this user?
New Cal vb recruits and also says that Jenn Dorr is interim head coach.

http://calbears.com/news/2018/3/19/volleyball-bears-add-two-student-athletes-to-program.aspx?path=wvball

Matt McShane is apparently not just on leave of absence, but gone.

He stopped showing up as head coach....with 4 matches left during fall season.
Chabbear
Interesting. If she had been named "acting" instead of "interim", I would haven taken it as he might have come back.

Thanks
juarezbear
What happened to McShane?
oskigobears
McShane and.... players last fall, ......were not on the same page at all.

Coaching style issues caused BIG problems.

Cal will not likely get a new vb coach till much later....new AD needs to be selected ....current one resigned as of June. Once AD is on board, then new vb coach will be appointed.

Cal Athletics on BIG budget push. They are trying not to cut sports, but.....who knows ....altho vball is not likely on the chopping block. Supposed to be a 'report' due / later this spring?/ about Cal athletics changes...coming up.

Stay tuned.
OBear073akaSMFan
As a season ticket holder was really surprise that Mcshane was hired to take over. Nothing personal but really wanted a fresh start after having some 5 or so years of sub par volleyball play.
HoopDreams
VB was doing so well a few years ago
Don't understand what happened

How are the incoming players?
SanseiBear
oskigobears said:

...............Cal Athletics on BIG budget push. They are trying not to cut sports, but.....who knows ....altho vball is not likely on the chopping block. ........
Women's volleyball is a mandatory sport for being part of the Pac-12.
SFCALBear72
Potential next head coach?

http://calbears.com/news/2018/4/5/volleyball-mclachlin-wins-thirty-under-30-award.aspx
oskigobears
This looks like a strong candidate for new Head Coach.
As Cal Athletics is trying everything they can think of to save money, and he is already here......I can see waiting till June or so to actually promote him.

Let's hope he doesn't get hired away, while waiiting!!!

SFCALBear72
Bears sign an accomplished setter...but still don't have a head coach. Jennifer Dorr still referred to as interim head coach. I guess this will be an issue for the new AD to resolve.

http://calbears.com/news/2018/4/11/volleyball-bears-sign-accomplished-setter.aspx
CalFanatic
Blevins seems to be a highly decorated setter. Happy the Portland coach left for USC so we could nab her. Wonder if she starts Day 1?
Wayward Son
Jenn Dorr is head coach for the 2018 season. One year contract at this time.
SanseiBear
I definitely like the new coaching staff, young and all former collegiate players at the D-1 level. HC Dorr was a setter for the Rainbow Wahine, Hawaii native McLachlin was an OH at the other school in the Bay Area, Lugo-Rodriquez was a MB at Long Beach State, and Thurlby served as team captain for the Rainbow Wahine while making two NCAA Final Four appearances. The Hawaii connection is a big incentive for me when I contribute to Cal Volleyball and buy season tickets!
SanseiBear
Cal picked for last by Pac-12 coaches.

https://www.paloaltoonline.com/news/2018/08/15/pac-12-coaches-name-stanford-women-the-volleyball-favorite

For those close to the team, do you think we can finish higher like 8th or 9th?
HoopDreams
SanseiBear said:

https://www.paloaltoonline.com/news/2018/08/15/pac-12-coaches-name-stanford-women-the-volleyball-favorite

I still don't understand how VB fell off a cliff. We were at the top of the world a few years ago, and now we have fallen that far?
Barttoriv74
HoopDreams said:

SanseiBear said:

I still don't understand how VB fell off a cliff. We were at the top of the world a few years ago, and now we have fallen that far?
Yes, one of the great mysteries...Cal went from Final Fours and national title contender with the ability to recruit nationally for the best players to Pac-12 bottom feeder
OBear073akaSMFan
SanseiBear said:

Kind of laugh when they announced their schedule with this

Quote:

BERKELEY Eighteen of Cal's 31 matches will come against teams that played in last year's NCAA Tournament in the 2018 schedule that was announced Monday.

On the next line they mentioned that 9 of the Pac-12 made the tourney last year which means all 18 of the teams that made the NCAA were the Pac-12's team. I would assume the preseason schedule should be a relatively easy schedule.

I have renewed my season tickets for the umpteenth time but each year I find myself going to fewer & fewer of the games!
SanseiBear
OBear073akaSMFan said:

I have renewed my season tickets for the umpteenth time but each year I find myself going to fewer & fewer of the games!
So did I, although I can make it to very few matches. This season, I'll be there for their match against UCLA on 9/28.

GO BEARS!
Chabbear
My family and I plan on going to more games this year. We are hoping that we can turn the corner and start going back up. Like the football team improved with a new coach last year (I know we had the same record in football but I think we were better...Blue colored glasses?), we hope that Coach Dorr will start us back up with work on fundamentals and team chemistry. It took Rich Feller 4 years to get a overall winning record and 5 years to reach a winning record in the Pac -10. Maybe given that we did reach the final four in the past, it won't take as long to recruit and build the program back.

Go Bears
Chabbear
The volleyball team's scrimmage was an actual
match between a Blue and a Gold Team (unlike the football spring "game"! ) The two teams were equally matched and after 3 sets the Gold Team was ahead. I had made dinner reservations so left after the third set. The big takeaway for me was the use of the dink. We have been so susceptible to the dink for years and to see them doing it and defending it was great to see. There seems to be alot of enthusiam exhibited by the team which is good.

Go Bears
wifeisafurd
Barttoriv74 said:

HoopDreams said:

SanseiBear said:

Yes, one of the great mysteries...Cal went from Final Fours and national title contender with the ability to recruit nationally for the best players to Pac-12 bottom feeder
The lost an all world setter in Lloyd, and they used to have one dominate spiker they could depend on for tough points, but that still doesn't explain the size of the drop.
ncbears
Trying to watch the Northern Colorado game on GoYotes without success, but Cal leads 2 sets to 1.
ncbears
Wins 3-1; 25-20; 27-25; 25-20; 25-22.
SFCALBear72
ncbears said:

Wins 3-1; 25-20; 27-25; 25-20; 25-22.
The opponent this morning, Northern Colorado, recently lost in 5 sets to #12 Illinois. So, this was a good showing by the Bears.
ncbears
Sadness. Cal loses to host South Dakota in four
OBear073akaSMFan
ncbears said:

Sadness. Cal loses to host South Dakota in four
They've come back this morning to beat Northeastern 3-0. I went to the last two games of the Molten classic where they swept all 3 of the games but difficult to judge the team since competition was very limited. The team going with 2 setter like last year but one is returning soph potter and now they are starting a frosh Blevins. McKenzie Albrecht sr was one of the top returning setters from last has only played in portion of one set. Does anyone know if she injured or is the team going with different setters this year?
CalFanatic
Cal lost to a team that was 0-5 last night and took 5 sets to beat PORTLAND STATE. Yikes. Watched some of the game and was so sad to see where this program has fallen.

Only saving grace was Rennie and Forte playing for the first time last night. Forte was the best player on the court, IMO. Pass well and feed her the ball!
SFCALBear72
CalFanatic said:

Cal lost to a team that was 0-5 last night and took 5 sets to beat PORTLAND STATE. Yikes. Watched some of the game and was so sad to see where this program has fallen.

Only saving grace was Rennie and Forte playing for the first time last night. Forte was the best player on the court, IMO. Pass well and feed her the ball!
How about a little perspective here? Two of Gonzaga's losses were to #11 UCLA by 3-1 scores in Los Angeles. One was to Utah and one to Iowa State which has beaten the #17 team in the country (Northern Iowa).

Cal beat a 7-2 Fresno State team this morning.
CalFanatic
Very true on Gonzaga- I have to admit I didn't see the schedule. 0-5 makes sense given those teams!! However, the match I watched was rough. Poor passing, ball handling errors-... sometimes multiple in a row. I'm rooting for them but it was hard to watch at times when thinking of the days of Jerkov, Pressey, Cutura, Lloyd and Murrey.
ncbears
Well, that match with the Furd was disappointing. Not that I expected anything different - but I always have hope.
Chabbear
Actually, I thought we did better than expected. We actually made a game of it in the second set which is encouraging. I think you will see a lot of improvement the rest of the way but how that translates in wins... who knows. After we beat Colgate earlier in the year, the Colgate coach stated:

"While today's result was disappointing, you have to give a great deal of credit to Cal. They have some of the best California players a volleyball mecca on their roster."

Nice "coach speak" but it does remind us that we might be better than we look but compared to other western schools, not to mention Pac 12 schools we have a uphill battle just to become competitive again.

HoopDreams
Cal was right there vs ASU, but fell in 5 sets
this team needs a win to give them an emotional lift
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.