Cal-Zona WVB

2,204 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by ncbears
ncbears
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bears off to a sluggish start and down 10-6.
OBear073akaSMFan
Yep struggling with return and setup
ncbears
UC Optometry sponsors the "play under review"? HA!
ncbears
Cal down 16-13 and I was wondering if Cal would call time - and Crosson did.
Granted, I am limited by the video feed - but I haven't seen Rennie standing with the rest of the team.

Arizona has only beaten Colorado, so the Bears are "expected" to handle Zona, um, handily. So, they better start doing so. Passes just don't seem as crisp as they did on Friday night - the swings just don't seem to have much oomph. Was it a late Saturday night for the players?
ncbears
Bears inching closer - down 18-17 and Zona calls time. MM is hitting negative, but Forte continues her strong performances.
ncbears
Anderson with two big plays (kill and a block with Haynes) and Cal now leads 22-20! Zona calls its last time out for the set.
ncbears
MM delivers and Cal wins the first set 25-23. Hopefully, that will clear the rest of the rust off.
Forte had 4 kills on 5 attacks in that set.
ncbears
Tuck and nip. Tied at 16 in set two.
ncbears
Down 17-16, Bears rip off 4 points to take 20-17 lead and Zona calls time
The last point being a vicious Forte kill.
ncbears
The video screen played out tweets and Charmin Smith is at the game.
ncbears
Potter with a service ace - Huizenga with a kill and that's set two to the Bears 25-19.
ncbears
Set three. Cal gets out to 3-0 start. Zona calls time and Bears start hitting out. It's now Zona 7 and Cal 4.

C'mon Bears!
ncbears
Good things seem to happen with Haynes serving.
Bears now up 14-11 and Zona calls its final time-out of the set (and hopefully the match).
ncbears
And Haynes ends the match with a service ace - 25-20 is the final in set three and Cal sweeps the match.
More of a grinder of a match for the Bears.
Hope Rennie and Blevins heal but this weekend showed that the Bears have weapons all over the court.

Haynes with 11 kills, 2 service aces, and 3 blocks to lead the Bears.
Mirkovic with 8 kills and 13 digs - and once again I think MM played every point.
Forte with 7 kills, 3 blocks and led the Bears hitting 385
Huizenga with a strong match 6 kills and 7 digs
Potter with 24 assists, but Smith added 5 assists and 13 digs.

Zona held to 133 hitting for the match.

Bears are now 15-1 and 5-1 in conference. Next up: a tough match with Utah but at Haas.
PalyBear
Thanks for the updates ncbear! We are following them.
OBear073akaSMFan
ncbears said:

The video screen played out tweets and Charmin Smith is at the game.
Read the same tweet. Was roaming looking for her but couldn't find her. However, did sit near former long time head coach Rich Feller who sat behind the Bears bench. Happy for the success of this team.
ncbears
Official Story
Quotes are all from Doerr and none from Crosson.

I hope there is a good crowd for Friday's homecoming match against a ranked Utah team.
It's not just that the Bears could use the support - but they are a such a fun team to watch.

My spouse kids me about how much I like watching Mirkovic play - but Mirkovic is fun to watch because she is everywhere and although she is listed at 5'11 - that's a lie. I know I wrote this before, but she reminds me a lot of Angie Pressey with her leaping and hitting ability. And I enjoy watching the joy in Forte and Anderson. And, of course, it would be so great for Rennie for this year to be a special one.

Gkhoury2325
This team appears to be resilient. They are mentally tough and it appears they love to play. Happy that they are being well coached. AD Knowlton has made a positive difference in the Athletic program for the Women's program. He deserves some credit. Cal appears very strong in all the Women's program. Congrats to the VB keep rolling, Good Luck.
SanseiBear
Here's the Daily Cal article on the ASU and Arizona matches with the status on Rennie and Blevins. https://www.dailycal.org/2019/10/13/no-16-cal-volleyball-finds-its-own-power-blows-past-asu-arizona/
OBear073akaSMFan
Gkhoury2325 said:

This team appears to be resilient. They are mentally tough and it appears they love to play. Happy that they are being well coached. AD Knowlton has made a positive difference in the Athletic program for the Women's program. He deserves some credit. Cal appears very strong in all the Women's program. Congrats to the VB keep rolling, Good Luck.
Though the team easily won, the team really didn't play well in the AZ game. Returns & setting was a struggle throughout the game. This team still have lots of room for improvement. Utah will be a good test and I hope our fans will check them out this Friday. They deserve our support.
ncbears
OBear073akaSMFan said:

Gkhoury2325 said:

Though the team easily won, the team really didn't play well in the AZ game. Returns & setting was a struggle throughout the game. This team still have lots of room for improvement. Utah will be a good test and I hope our fans will check them out this Friday. They serve our support.
Agreed. Sunday's game didn't have the same flow as other matches. I think the Daily Cal article even noted that Cal just had better players and that is what made the difference.

I don't know that Utah is going to be giving up the center to Forte/Anderson as much as the Arizona schools did.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.