Cal WVB to 20 Wins

3,062 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SanseiBear
ncbears
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cal wins in five sets over ASU.
Cal lost the first and fourth sets. In the fourth set, they were down 11-3 fought back, but were down 24-20 and then tied at 24. But couldn't finish.

The Bears committed 23 errors and hit 247 for the match. Those 23 errors are not a season high (32 errors in the loss against USC), but are the second most for the season.

Huizenga with 18 kills and 13 digs (and one assist) - hitting 410 - star of the match?
MM with 18 kills, 19 digs, 2 service aces and a block - and while hitting only 229, had two monster kills in the fifth set.
Forte with 11 kills and hitting 381 - her middle mate, Anderson only had 4 kills and 182 - which is way below her average. Cal seemed to go away from the middle game in the fourth and start of the fifth set -but Forte came up strong at the end of the fifth.

Haynes with 13 kills but only 104 (8 errors)

Blevins played a bit with 3 assists. So, that's a positive as the Bears head into a very tough five game finish to the season (home LA schools - road to mountain schools and then to Stanfurd).

wvitbear
We started poorly which is par for the course. Then we caught fire but lost the 4th set.

10 wins we can't finish worse than .500. We could lose a lot of games down the stretch, so this was important. If we get hot and do better than I think we will we might even get to host a bracket.
Nasal Mucus Goldenbear
Chabbear
I know that volleyball has been in the dumps for the last few years but lets celebrate being at 20 wins more and less on the negative but so Cal response that we "can't finish worse than .500".
Ccajon2
Chabbear said:

I know that volleyball has been in the dumps for the last few years but lets celebrate being at 20 wins more and less on the negative but so Cal response that we "can't finish worse than .500".

How about 25-5 regular season, host and win first couple of Tournament games, and Sam gets NCAA COY.
Chabbear
Much Better

GO BEARS

OBear073akaSMFan
Hoping with the last 2 home games, vs UCLA friday and SC on sunday people will come out to support this outstanding team. Maybe with the FB game on Sat, those that come early can make it a double header and iattend the VB games! I am assuming the USC game will be senior day!
wvitbear
I don't mean to be negative. But we are playing 5 top 25 teams in the last 6 games. Three of those on the road and the two at home we have already lost to those teams. Even the one non top 25 team which a couple of weeks ago looked like a sure win is not easy now as they swept UCLA at UCLA last weekend.

So I was glad we won those games in Arizona and got 10 wins. We could lose all those games and still be in the NCAA's. And if we win some of them we might get to host one. Best bets are USC, UCLA and Colorado but they are not easy.
Chabbear
The UCLA game was moved to accommodate the men's basketball game against Cal Baptist to 2pm! The administration chose to do that when they were in complete control of scheduling (unlike a conference game) and that is going to kill attendance. My group of three will be there but only by taking the day off.

Go Bears, beat the BRUINS
OBear073akaSMFan
Darn it...didnt check the time of this game and was assuming it would be in the evening. Unsure if I will be able to attend.
HoopDreams
SFCALBear72
Chabbear said:

The UCLA game was moved to accommodate the men's basketball game against Cal Baptist to 2pm! The administration chose to do that when they were in complete control of scheduling (unlike a conference game) and that is going to kill attendance. My group of three will be there but only by taking the day off.

Go Bears, beat the BRUINS
I'm not sure they could move the men's basketball game. It's part of the 2K Empire Classic as is the game on Monday night vs. Prairie View. This all leads up to games late next week at Madison Square Garden...starting with Duke.
HoopDreams
HoopDreams
HoopDreams
HoopDreams
https://instagr.am/p/B48ElUUg3VZ
HoopDreams

ncbears
with the loss to SC - Bears are now 10-6 in conference with road games at Colorado. Utah, UW and Stanfurd.
Those were going to be tough before the injury to Mirkovic
I think the dream of hosting a first round game is gone.

Still, the Bears have a good profile for the post-season. They beat Utah and are the only team to beat Colorado State. It would be great to split the final four games.
SanseiBear
After a disastrous first set, I like how the team hung in there from the second set on. It's tough without Mima, but the team showed some real spunk today.
OBear073akaSMFan
Will the Bears need to split to make the NCAA tournament? It will be difficult without Mina.
SanseiBear
OBear073akaSMFan said:

Will the Bears need to split to make the NCAA tournament? It will be difficult without Mina.
Cal will be in the tournament even with the worst case scenario record of 20-10. Hopefully, they can split the last four matches to improve its seeding.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.