Tammy Lohmann hired as San Jose State softball head coach

2,268 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SpartanBear20
SpartanBear20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Former Cal softball associate/interim HC Tammy Lohmann has a new job in the Bay Area, head coach at San Jose State. Sh will inherit a team that has consistently finished in the top third of the Mountain West Conference standings and finished this pandemic shortened season 21-5 with votes in the top-25 polls. I have more about SJSU's hire of Lohmann in this article.
CalFanatic
I'm still shocked Turner's contract wasn't renewed. He is a far, far better coach than TL. They aren't even comparable IMO.

I just want to be very clear-I think Tammy is a great person and am in no way attacking her character. But PT would have taken SJSU to the WCWS if he had Cal's caliber of athletes. We couldn't even make it to the postseason the past few years.
SpartanBear20
I was also shocked that SJSU didn't extend Turner, who would've happily continued on had he been allowed to. It was no secret that he could be sharp tongued and hard headed. However, some players who were very low on the depth chart (and their parents) complained to a weak kneed athletic administration. In other words, they got the "heckler's veto" over the many players/parents who supported Turner. Similarly, disgruntled players/parents helped oust John Rittman over at that university across the water (but Rittman was eventually found liable for NCAA rule violations).

Both of the regular assistant coaches from the 2020 team got mid major head coaching jobs. Pitching coach Dr. Megan Brown is now at Longwood University (about an hour south of UVA and west of Richmond). Longwood is located in a town called Farmville (not just a silly online game).

Yeah, there's no denying that Cal softball has been sliding downhill since the 2012 WCWS, but I still am optimistic that Lohmann can do a good job at SJSU, and I wish Dr. Brown similar success over in rural Virginia.
SpartanBear20
Here is Lohmann's first interview since being hired by SJSU.

Bear_claw
Correction, they made post season in 2018. In 2019 they just missed, and last year no one made it.
SpartanBear20
Here is Tammy Lohmann's interview with Fastpitch News published 9/28. It starts near the 3:00 mark and goes on for about a half hour. Lohmann considers the Mountain West a "sixth" power conference and wants San Jose State to be an aggressive base stealing team.

As optimistic as I'd like to be that Lohmann can succeed at SJSU, she's got a tough job ahead of her. Since she was hired, SJSU's best hitter and pitcher both entered the transfer portal! The best hitter was a senior utility player who got extra eligibility due to the sports shutdown, but it's disappointing that SJSU might miss the chance to have her for another year given her talents in offense and fielding. But what hurts even more is the loss of the ace pitcher who was only in her FIRST year! I was hoping to be able to see four years of her in the blue and gold. EDIT: Both of them were all-conference honorees. But now a third player - the four-year starter at second base - is also going elsewhere for her "bonus" year of eligibility. This means that all three of SJSU's all-conference players will not return.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.