Extended Eligibility

1,217 Views | 0 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by calbears4ever
swan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
At the end of March 2020, the NCAA voted not to grant an extra year of eligibility to Division I student-athletes who played in winter sports, including swimming and diving, even after their NCAA championships were cancelled. This resulted in the end of college eligibility for swimming stars like Zheng Quah, Pawel Sendyk and Mike Jensen for the men, and Abbey Weitzeil, Maddie Murphy and Keaton Blovad for our women.For the men, it meant they were denied the chance to defend their NCAA championship won in Austin in March 2019.

This past week the NCAA voted to extend eligibility for student-athletes competing in winter sports in 2020, which I guess means that all current Cal swimmers have an extra year of eligibility. This is potentially very promising for the Cal men, if it means that our senior class stars including Ryan Hoffer, Sean Grieshop, Bryce Mefford, Daniel Carr, Trenton Julian and transfer distance stud Zach Yeadon can compete through March 2022 if they so choose. I have no idea how many athletes will decide to stay for an extra year, but this has the potential to significantly impact the NCAA championships over the next several years.
calbears4ever
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Don't know how it will hold for volleyball and other fall olympic sports, but since they could be held in spring 2021, I don't see how it'll impact eligibility
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.