R.I.P. Pat Bermingham (McNally's)

1,013 Views | 1 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by bearister
bearister
How long do you want to ignore this user?
While perusing the Irish Sporting Green on Sunday, I came across the obituary of this good man. In my formative drinking years in the 1970's, Pat was the proprietor of my favorite hostelry, McNally's:

Patrick Bermingham Obituary (1935 - 2021) - East Bay Times

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/eastbaytimes/obituary.aspx?n=patrick-joseph-bermingham&pid=197569706
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.legacy.com/obituaries/eastbaytimes/obituary.aspx%3fn=patrick-joseph-bermingham&pid=197569706

I would love to hear other's memories of McNally's. I have dozens, but I will start with this one:
McNally's, like many bars, at least in those days, would comp a drink on your 21st birthday. On my 21st, I flashed my driver's license to barkeep Tommy (who looked like Lou Costello, had Lou had 40 fights in the ring, losing half) to cash in on my drink. Upon seeing my ID, Tommy said, "You SOB, you have been drinking in here for 3 or 4 years." He drew me a free pint.

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
BeachedBear
One my fave haunts . . .

The night of my 'bachelor' party (one of two), we made a stop at McNally's before returning to Berkeley to sleep off our adventure (we had been drinking since late afternoon and it was near 2am). As soon as we got in the door, a female co-worker noticed my crew and immediately mixed her groups of friends with mine (everyone was very sloshed).

One of her friends heard 'bachelor' and immediately grabbed one of my drunk friends and planted a big wet one on his lips (to his surprise). However, at that same moment, HER boyfriend was returning from the bar with drinks. At seeing this blatant flirtation, he tried to throw a punch at my friend (who was still oblivious, but managed a quick duck). The momentum of the missed punch pulled the boyfriend to the floor.

Over the next 20-30 seconds, boyfriend stumbles up from floor and runs into McNally's doorman/bouncer (who was only a few feet away) and somehow lands a fist into his chin (barely phases the bouncer). Two other males (seemingly connected to boyfriend enter the fray). The ladies are all screaming 'calm the **** down ****heads'. Simultaneously, my group (who is very confused at this point) - see three threatening guys and take a defensive stance. The bouncer locks the boyfriend in a headlock (he also outweighed him by at least 50 lbs of muscle) and my crew restrains the other guys with big bear hugs.

At this point, the bouncer tosses his guy out onto College, steps back in, points to the other assailants and sez "You two! Outta here right now" (which they quickly agreed to). My coworker laughed and gave us a quick "gotta go!". Then the bouncer tells the bar to "Give my friends a round on the house!" (meaning us).

Normally, however, it was more relaxing and sedate. McNally's was just a great dive bar to grab a drink and watch a Cal game on TV.
bearister
Found this history on business website:

"McNally's Irish Pub was founded by Bill McNally the day Prohibition ended (1933). Legend has it that if Bill liked you, you received the best service in town, if not, you might die of thirst before he made his way over. Fortunately for Oakland, and for his business, Bill liked most people.

Since Bill passed away in 1973, the business has gone through few owners. After Bill, Pat Birmingham took over Mcnally's as it became a hangout for Cal sports teams and boosters. McNally's was solidified as THE neighborhood local. Pat retired in the 90's handing off ownership to longtime bartender Sean Cahill who ran McNally's until the current team of Tobias Hampton and Max Young purchased the bar in 2007."

*They misspelled Pat's last name. "Come on, man!"

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.