Man kept french fry in mouth 1.5 hours on flight so didn't have to wear mask

10,605 Views | 87 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BearGoggles
BearForce2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
From NPR of all places: After 2 years, growing calls to take masks off children in school

https://www.npr.org/2022/01/28/1075842341/growing-calls-to-take-masks-off-children-in-school
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
BearForce2

Karen showed up again.
AunBear89
Wow. Who knew so many Trumpkins were smug little pr!cks like that trumpflake? Trick question: everyone knows what a bunch of whiny twits you clowns really are.

It is strange that he failed to record the interaction that started everything. I'm sure he was respectful and polite, just like his hero.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
BearForce2

A U.S. federal judge strikes down Biden's mask mandate on public transportation. She ruled that the mask mandate at airports, in airplanes, and transit hubs is "unlawful" because it exceeded the statutory authority of the CDC and it violated the administrative law.
concordtom
Funny story about how the anti-maskers traveled so far to get this so-called Trump judge to rule on this case. She canceled oral arguments.
The nation is getting health recommendations from a 35 year old lawyer, not a group of medical professionals.

Attorney Kathryn Kimball Mizelle just landed a lifetime seat on the federal court at age 33. She's a card-carrying member of the Federalist Society and the youngest of the already young Trump judges, a lady-in-waiting for a future Republican president to elevate.

One of five judicial nominees waved through by the lame duck Senate in a final vote before lawmakers left town for Thanksgiving, Mizelle's confirmation is the most galling. The brazenness of prioritizing yet more judges while ignoring desperately needed COVID-19 economic relief was on display as Republicans voted in lockstep for Mizelle, the tenth Trump nominee to be rated "not qualified" by the American Bar Association.

Mizelle is only eight years out of law school (University of Florida), and the ABA's standard for a lifetime seat is 12 years of legal experience.
She has had four distinguished clerkships, including one for Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, but her only trial experience is as an intern before she graduated from law school. She will take her seat on the Eleventh Circuit for the Middle District of Florida having never tried a casecivil or criminalas a lead attorney or co-counsel.

"In her own words, her work history is that of a junior lawyer and is decidedly not meaningful preparation for managing a trial courtroom or the awesome power of determining the rights, liberty, or in some cases, life of litigants as a judge," says Dan Goldberg with Alliance for Justice, a liberal advocacy group. "The people who should be the angriest are the people who will go to her courtroom."

In rating her "not qualified," the ABA in its letter to the Senate Judiciary committee noted Mizelle's "very keen intellect, a strong work ethic and an impressive resume. She presents as a delightful person and she has many friends who support her nomination. Her integrity and demeanor are not in question. These attributes however simply do not compensate for the short time she has actually practiced law and her lack of meaningful trial experience."

Russell Wheeler, an expert on the judiciary and a visiting fellow at the Brookings Institution, said in an email that Mizelle's young age sets her apart. He had to go back to 1937, when FDR appointed Alfred Murrah (of the Oklahoma City building) to the district court at age 32, and then Joseph Story, whom President James Madison appointed to the Supreme Court in 1811 at age 32. "There may be other appointments in their early 30s, but it's rare," he said.

Mizelle joins that exclusive club because she is a well-connected Washington lawyer with conservative cred who travels in the right circles. At Jones Day, President Trump's favorite law firm, where she has been an associate since last year, Mizelle's profile page highlighted her successful representation of the Chamber of Commerce in fending off a demand from the AFL-CIO for greater worker protections during the COVID crisis.

She is married to Chad Mizelle, who faced similar questions about his youth and inexperience last year when his friend and ally at the White House, Stephen Miller, smoothed the way for him to become the acting general counsel at the Department of Homeland Security, leading DHS' legal office of 2,500 attorneys just six years after graduating from law school.

Apart from her skimpy experience, concerns about Kathryn Mizelle's ideology are at the core of Democratic opposition, and they originate with her tenure at the Justice Department in 2017 and 2018 supervising litigation handled by the Civil Rights Division. It was a time when many voting rights and LGBT protections were being rolled back. "This nominee has been put forward not only because she is an ultraconservative ideologue, but also because she is a Trump loyalist, having worked in the Trump Justice Department to dismantle many critical civil rights protections," the Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights wrote to senators in September, urging them to reject her nomination.

Mizelle is the 227th Trump nominee confirmed to the federal benchin what has been this administration's real "operation warp speed"and the 10th to be found "not qualified" by the ABA, a stigma that prior administrations sought to avoid and that Trump supporters treat as a badge of honor, evidence of Trump's disruptive power.

The bigger issue, though, may have less to do with Mizelle and more to do with the Mitch McConnell-led Senate continuing to confirm nominees advanced by a defeated president in a lame duck Congress. According to Russell Wheeler, the visiting scholar at Brookings, it hadn't been done since 1896 when President Cleveland was on his way out of the White House with one exception.

Mitch McConnell is Packing the Courts With Wingnuts
'A DANGEROUS DISGRACE'
Eleanor Clift

bearister
I see a dictatorship as the only way the Republicans can impose their will on the majority of the population should they "win" the presidency in 2024. However, should tRump's heart explode like a sack of chicken grease, the cult will die with him.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
concordtom
bearister said:

I see a dictatorship as the only way the Republicans can impose their will on the majority of the population should they "win" the presidency in 2024. However, should tRump's heart explode like a sack of chicken grease, the cult will die with him.

I do NOT think the cult dies with him.
I agree with GFR that the cult is rooted in racism and general ignorance.

The truth is that whites are a dying breed, in America and around the world. Our birth rate is below replacement rate of 2.1 per woman. Everywhere. USA is growing in population because of immigration, and they are increasingly non-white. This threatens old status quo folks.

Secondly, religion is on the decline. The rise of science, our understanding of evolution of all species, earth history, and cultural histories (how stories get told and shape culture) is aiding the decline in Christianity. This threatens old status quo folks.

Trump could give 2 poops about religion, and probably isn't as racist as his opponents like me claim. I mean, he'll F anyone if he deems it a good piece of ass. But he definitely USES people's fear of change and their penchant for "us vs them" thinking to manipulate and seize power.

And we've seen there are PLENTY of folks who will do the same, who accept no rule of law. So, the madness will continue.

However, as time goes by, whites do shrink and the old fearful folks die off. So, we can only hope that the Trumpist are the true dying breed.

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/the-avenue/2018/03/14/the-us-will-become-minority-white-in-2045-census-projects/amp/
MinotStateBeav
In a quiet place in the world today, that guy finished his french fry.
BearForce2
concordtom said:

Funny story about how the anti-maskers traveled so far to get this so-called Trump judge to rule on this case. She canceled oral arguments.
The nation is getting health recommendations from a 35 year old lawyer, not a group of medical professionals.

You can still wear your mask on plane or find an airlines that require them.
BearForce2
bearister said:

Trump said "you're welcome".
sycasey
concordtom said:

Attorney Kathryn Kimball Mizelle just landed a lifetime seat on the federal court at age 33. She's a card-carrying member of the Federalist Society and the youngest of the already young Trump judges, a lady-in-waiting for a future Republican president to elevate.

One of five judicial nominees waved through by the lame duck Senate in a final vote before lawmakers left town for Thanksgiving, Mizelle's confirmation is the most galling. The brazenness of prioritizing yet more judges while ignoring desperately needed COVID-19 economic relief was on display as Republicans voted in lockstep for Mizelle, the tenth Trump nominee to be rated "not qualified" by the American Bar Association.

Mizelle is only eight years out of law school (University of Florida), and the ABA's standard for a lifetime seat is 12 years of legal experience.
She has had four distinguished clerkships, including one for Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, but her only trial experience is as an intern before she graduated from law school. She will take her seat on the Eleventh Circuit for the Middle District of Florida having never tried a casecivil or criminalas a lead attorney or co-counsel.

"In her own words, her work history is that of a junior lawyer and is decidedly not meaningful preparation for managing a trial courtroom or the awesome power of determining the rights, liberty, or in some cases, life of litigants as a judge," says Dan Goldberg with Alliance for Justice, a liberal advocacy group. "The people who should be the angriest are the people who will go to her courtroom."

In rating her "not qualified," the ABA in its letter to the Senate Judiciary committee noted Mizelle's "very keen intellect, a strong work ethic and an impressive resume. She presents as a delightful person and she has many friends who support her nomination. Her integrity and demeanor are not in question. These attributes however simply do not compensate for the short time she has actually practiced law and her lack of meaningful trial experience."

Russell Wheeler, an expert on the judiciary and a visiting fellow at the Brookings Institution, said in an email that Mizelle's young age sets her apart. He had to go back to 1937, when FDR appointed Alfred Murrah (of the Oklahoma City building) to the district court at age 32, and then Joseph Story, whom President James Madison appointed to the Supreme Court in 1811 at age 32. "There may be other appointments in their early 30s, but it's rare," he said.

Mizelle joins that exclusive club because she is a well-connected Washington lawyer with conservative cred who travels in the right circles. At Jones Day, President Trump's favorite law firm, where she has been an associate since last year, Mizelle's profile page highlighted her successful representation of the Chamber of Commerce in fending off a demand from the AFL-CIO for greater worker protections during the COVID crisis.

She is married to Chad Mizelle, who faced similar questions about his youth and inexperience last year when his friend and ally at the White House, Stephen Miller, smoothed the way for him to become the acting general counsel at the Department of Homeland Security, leading DHS' legal office of 2,500 attorneys just six years after graduating from law school.

Apart from her skimpy experience, concerns about Kathryn Mizelle's ideology are at the core of Democratic opposition, and they originate with her tenure at the Justice Department in 2017 and 2018 supervising litigation handled by the Civil Rights Division. It was a time when many voting rights and LGBT protections were being rolled back. "This nominee has been put forward not only because she is an ultraconservative ideologue, but also because she is a Trump loyalist, having worked in the Trump Justice Department to dismantle many critical civil rights protections," the Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights wrote to senators in September, urging them to reject her nomination.

Mizelle is the 227th Trump nominee confirmed to the federal benchin what has been this administration's real "operation warp speed"and the 10th to be found "not qualified" by the ABA, a stigma that prior administrations sought to avoid and that Trump supporters treat as a badge of honor, evidence of Trump's disruptive power.

The bigger issue, though, may have less to do with Mizelle and more to do with the Mitch McConnell-led Senate continuing to confirm nominees advanced by a defeated president in a lame duck Congress. According to Russell Wheeler, the visiting scholar at Brookings, it hadn't been done since 1896 when President Cleveland was on his way out of the White House with one exception.

'A DANGEROUS DISGRACE'
Eleanor Clift
I'm not sure the mask mandate actually makes all that much difference for COVID spread on a population level (in part because there are so many exceptions already . . . like if you just kept snacking and drinking water the whole plane flight you could keep it off). But without knowing much about the specific legality, it seems like this judge gave fairly poor reasoning for overturning a CDC directive.
bearister

Unqualified tRump judicial appointees will be challenged!
hanky1
MinotStateBeav said:

More like Freedom Fry.

LEGENDARY
Anarchistbear
The Senste voted 57- 40 in March to overturn the mask mandate on air travel. 8 Democrats concurred. It's not a big partisan deal.
concordtom
hanky1 said:

MinotStateBeav said:

More like Freedom Fry.

LEGENDARY

LEGENDARY DORK
bearister
With regard to mask mandates, my only concern is with medical professionals being over taxed. Other than that, I'm fine with everyone being responsible for looking out for themselves.

It is mostly tRumpists that are going to suffer since they take medical advice from tRump and his unqualified judicial appointees.

I only ask people to have the same independence and bravado if they get sick as they do traveling maskless. Stay home and be ill and/or die and don't go to the hospital like a leftist p@ussie.

I keep my eye on Covid hospitalizations. 7 days ago there was 20 people in Contra Costa County hospitals with Covid and today 31.

I can give you some insight on how tRumpists think. A guy we know in his late 70's went on a cruise recently and started feeling sick on board with Covid symptoms. He then got on a plane and flew cross country knowing he was sick. Got tested when he got home to California and tested positive.
tRumpists are not good citizens. Like their cult leader, they don't give a f@uck about anybody but themselves. They do not view life as a boat we are all rowing together.

And when BART glued fake cameras in their cars…..the cruise line and airline industries have the same contempt for you and your safety.
BearForce2

Biden admin, 1PM: Yes, we want masks on planes

Biden himself, 2PM: No, masks should be optional

Biden admin, 3PM: Yes, we want masks on planes

Biden himself: 3:30PM, I don't know
BearGoggles
sycasey said:

concordtom said:

'A DANGEROUS DISGRACE'
Eleanor Clift
I'm not sure the mask mandate actually makes all that much difference for COVID spread on a population level (in part because there are so many exceptions already . . . like if you just kept snacking and drinking water the whole plane flight you could keep it off). But without knowing much about the specific legality, it seems like this judge gave fairly poor reasoning for overturning a CDC directive.
She used the same reasoning as: (i) the dems (and their preferred judges) used to successfully challenge many of Trump's regulatory actions, such as his attempts to revoke DACA (i.e., failure to comply with the Administrative Procedure Act); and (ii) as the supreme court and other lower courts have used in invalidating many overreaching covid regulations and "emergency rules" like the eviction moratorium and OSHA masking regulations (i.e., the agency lacked statutory authority to issue the rule/regulation in question).

Notably, people (including the typical BI partisans in this thread) are attacking the judge ad hominem rather than dealing with the actual merits of the case and her ruling. I think this was a closer legal call on the merits (as opposed to the eviction moratorium which on its face was absurd and lacking in statutory authority). But her ruling is pretty consistent with other rulings on these issues.

I also would note that congress has passed many COVID related laws, but has taken no action to expressly give the CDC authority to impose these types of mask mandates. This court - and many others - have simply ruled that Congress needs to do that for these rules to be proper.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.