75th Anniversary of D-Day

687 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by BearHunter
bearister
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
OneKeg
Respect and sacrifice.

79th anniversary, not 75th, right?
okaydo
bearister said:

Happy 75th anniversary!

bearister
OneKeg said:

Respect and sacrifice.

Yes, I sh@it on home plate there. Well, the thought was nice.

*I Googled D Day to make sure I had the right date and the first thing that came up was a story about the 75th Anniversary and I stepped in a gooey one right there.
BearHunter
OneKeg
bearister said:

OneKeg said:

Respect and sacrifice.

Yes, I sh@it on home plate there. Well, the thought was nice.

*I Googled D Day to make sure I had the right date and the first thing that came up was a story about the 75th Anniversary andI stepped in a gooey one right there.
The exact number of years does not matter as much as, well, anything else about it. I kind of wish I hadn't pointed it out.

Sincere thanks for posting, bearister.
bearister

Left to Right: My grandfather was in the 91st Infantry Division ("The Wild West Division") and fought trench warfare in France during WWI. Earl Warren was his drill sergeant at Camp Lewis. He liked him.

My uncle was in the 82nd Airborne Division and my Dad was a line officer aboard a destroyer in the Pacific Theater during WWII.

I did not enlist to serve in Vietnam and I never got drafted (being born in 1954). I always felt guilty about it because of my family history, and I have always had a lot of respect for those who served.
Big C
BearHunter said:

The D-Day beaches in France, including the American Cemetary near Omaha Beach rank as some of my most memorable of travels. Been there twice and would definitely go again if anywhere near Normandy. Think opening scene from Saving Private Ryan. In fact, my first time there was either six months before, or six months after the movie came out (I forget which). I was almost overcome with emotion.

Semi-unwritten rule there: You're not supposed to walk on the lawn where the graves are, but you can if you are American (as you might be looking for family).
chazzed
I appreciate all of the brave Allied soldiers who landed in Normandy on June 6, 1944.
BearHunter
Thanks to all who served and their family members. One day I would like to visit Normandy, France as well.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.