Brighten yer day Off Topic

2,605 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by concordtom
MinotStateBeav
How long do you want to ignore this user?
One of my favorite channels is Save a Fox. They rescue foxes from fur farms. Fantastic charity to donate to, also help with other exotic rescues.

dajo9
Foxes patrol my yard which I hate because I have a cat. I chase them away when I see them.
American Vermin
MinotStateBeav
dajo9 said:

Foxes patrol my yard which I hate because I have a cat. I chase them away when I see them.
Those inconsiderate foxes, why don't they move!
Goldener Bar
MinotStateBeav said:

dajo9 said:

There's a simple solution. dajo9 should stop his invasion and accept the foxes' sovereignty.

In fact, I think we should band together as a fanbase and send money and weapons to help the foxes defend their territory against his unwanted incursion.
MinotStateBeav
Goldener Bar said:

MinotStateBeav said:

dajo9 said:

There's a simple solution. dajo9 should stop his invasion and accept the foxes' sovereignty.

In fact, I think we should band together as a fanbase and send money and weapons to help the foxes defend their territory against his unwanted incursion.
AunBear89
Wow. Sounds pretty WOKE to me. Did your Fox News sources tell you it was ok to take this position? Seems pretty soft for a card carrying MAGAt like yourself.

Foxes are for fur coats that you buy for your mistress while your wife is at home with a baby.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
Unit2Sucks
MinotStateBeav said:

One of my favorite channels is Save a Fox. They rescue foxes from fur farms. Fantastic charity to donate to, also help with other exotic rescues.

This is cool, thanks for sharing. I appreciate when you share stuff like this and hope you continue to do so.
concordtom
I'll have to view this later, because I'm too busy shopping at my local gun store, because, you know - FREEEEEE-DOMMM

What should I use it for after I complete my purchase? It's for shooting, right? What should I shoot?
concordtom
My standard teasing aside, I think this stuff is very interesting and I'd like to understand such things, better.
No doubt it would help me understand Trump supporters better, have empathy for them in knowing it's not their fault - they are made that way. (Sorry, more teasing)
Seriously, this is good stuff!

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29968122/#:~:text=These%20researchers%20concluded%20that%20the,in%20behavior%20and%20in%20appearance.

https://www.jabcecc.org/rdf
concordtom
MinotStateBeav
Really wish I didn't see that..thanks there guy. Maybe a warning next time. F'd up.

For those that don't want to watch. it's a Elephant gore a Rhino and it's not entertaining at all.
concordtom
Wow. Seriously?

We don't know that the rhino was injured. Maybe he just had his feelings hurt. He did run off without a limp.

I thought it was cool. Do you ever watch PBS's Nature show? They have lots of Facts of Life in it.
concordtom
Here, this will make you feel better.
I was going to send you the article I read earlier about orcas that killed 3 massive blue whales by eating their nutritious tongues out (apex predator of the sea), but that is truly sad.

These are far more enjoyable.

I Spent My Life Saving the Whales. Now They Might Save Us

BY ROGER PAYNE JUNE 5, 2023
Roger Payne currently serves as Principal Advisor to Project CETI (Cetacean Translation Initiative), a TED Audacious Project and nonprofit, interdisciplinary scientific and conservation initiative. Payne's many honors and awards include a knighthood in the Netherlands; a MacArthur Fellowship; a WWF Member of Honor; a UNEP Global 500 award; and Oxford University's Dawkins Prize.

More than fifty years ago, my team and I first discovered that whales sing to each other. Recordings we captured of the beautiful, evocative songs of the humpback whale captivated people all over the world. Whale song became the soundtrack for the "Save the Whales" movement, one of the most successful conservation initiatives in history. It led to the 1972 Marine Mammal Protection Act, which marked the end of large-scale whaling in the United States and saved several whale populations from extinction.

In the decades since, I've often pondered what it would take to spark a new conservation movement uniquely suited to the opportunities and challenges we face in this age of dire warnings and unassailable evidence of a rapidly changing planet. A movement that inspires a new generation, gives voice to the marginalized, and uses science to inspire awe instead of fear.

The question has recently led me to an initiative I'm involved with called Project CETI (the Cetacean Translation Initiative). In a quest to better understand our world and its inhabitants, CETI scientists are using advanced machine learning and state-of-the-art robotics to listen to and translate the communication of sperm whales. CETI's work in Dominica is in its early stages, and though much has already been done to lay the groundwork for this massive effort at interspecies communication, including a scientific roadmap published last year.

I find myself at 88 years of age, very close to the end of a long life, coming to terms with the fact that I will not be around to find out what we learn. But what I can tell you is why this monumental journey of discovery matters.

The way I see it, the most consequential scientific discovery of the past 100 years isn't E = mc2 or plate tectonics or translating the human genome. These are all quite monumental, to be sure, but there's one discovery so consequential that unless we respond to it, it may kill us all, graveyard dead. It is this: every species, including humans, depends on a suite of other species to keep the world habitable for it, and each of those species depends in turn on an overlapping but somewhat different suite of species to keep their niche livable for them.

But there's a problem here. No one can even name all the essential supporting species, let alone describe their full roles. We do know that some of the most essential species are microscopic plants and animals that we kill, unintentionally, by the trillions. But we know so little about them, they don't even have common names, just Latin names. And many are unknown, unnamed, and undescribed species.

Faced with such capacious ignorance, our only rational course of action is to use every means possible, regardless of cost, to try to save all species of life, knowing that if we fail to save enough of the essential ones, we will have no future. The things we consider to be life's worst disasterswars, plagues, and pandemics that have killed off tens of millions of people but left a global population of survivors greater than the number of the deadwill seem like minor nuisances compared to what we will experience if we kill off essential species that keep this planet livable for you and me. The consequences of failure are so astronomical, that it is clear that there is nothing else nearly as important and urgent as preserving the rest of life.

The challenge now is figuring out how to motivate ourselves and our fellow humans to make species preservation our highest callingsomething we will never cut corners on, delay, postpone, diminish, or defund.

How can we get this idea across to the whole world? Inspiration is the key. Antoine de Saint-Exupery, the author of The Little Prince, understood this and how to use it positively when he wrote: "If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide up the work, and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea."

I believe that awe-inspiring life-forms like whales can focus human minds on the urgency of ceasing our destruction of the wild world. Many of humanity's most intractable problems are caused by disregarding the voices of the Otherincluding non-humans.

Just imagine what would be possible if we understood what animals are saying to each other; what occupies their thoughts; what they love, fear, desire, avoid, hate, are intrigued by, and treasure. If we could communicate with animals, ask them questions and receive answersno matter how simple those questions and answers might turn out to bethe world might soon be moved enough to at least start the process of halting our runaway destruction of life.

We might find it easier to work with parrots or dogs, but whales, by their sheer size, their commanding voices, and their surprising grace elicit a kind of attention that smaller lifeforms simply can't. Just as redwoods trigger stronger emotions than dogwoods, the magnificence of whales has a unique ability to infuse us with awe.

I've received criticism for spending time and treasure trying to translate what I refer to as WhaleSpeak. My accusers complain that the needs of humans should always come before the needs of nonhumans. But the reason humanity finds itself in its present predicament is in major part because we have always put the needs of humans before the needs of the rest of life.

As my time runs out, I am possessed with the hope that humans worldwide are smart enough and adaptable enough to put the saving of other species where it belongs: at the top of the list of our most important jobs. I believe that science can help us survive our folly. Fifty years ago, people fell in love with the songs of humpback whales, and joined together to ignite a global conservation movement. It's time for us to once again listen to the whalesand, this time, to do it with every bit of empathy and ingenuity we can muster so that we might possibly understand them.

dimitrig
dajo9 said:

Keep your cat inside like a responsible pet owner
dimitrig
AunBear89 said:

Wow. Sounds pretty WOKE to me. Did your Fox News sources tell you it was ok to take this position? Seems pretty soft for a card carrying MAGAt like yourself.

Foxes are for fur coats that you buy for your mistress while your wife is at home with a baby.

They are also to buy for your wife when she finds out about your mistress. They have so many uses!

dajo9
dimitrig said:

dajo9 said:

We kept our cat indoors for a couple years because we were told it was "responsible" and "safer". For those years I watched my cat stare out windows constantly and bolt for the door every time it opened a crack.

I felt miserable about it. Like I was depriving the cat of a huge joy in life. The cat started escaping. With two young kids it happened a lot. She would run into the bushes near our house. Eventually bold enough to run into the woods. Sometimes we found her and sometimes she just came back after a few hours. Now we let her go outside.

After seeing her happily play outside - sometimes just rolling in the grass in the hot summer sun. I think it was cruel of me to keep our cat indoors.

It would be safer for you to only be indoors too. You could give that a try if you feel strongly about it.
American Vermin
Cal88
Cats kill 3 billion birds annually in the US.
dajo9
In this thread:
Biden is the fox
Putin is the cat
Ukrainians are the birds
And I am Cal88

Think about it
American Vermin
dimitrig
dajo9 said:

dimitrig said:

dajo9 said:

We kept our cat indoors for a couple years because we were told it was "responsible" and "safer". For those years I watched my cat stare out windows constantly and bolt for the door every time it opened a crack.

I felt miserable about it. Like I was depriving the cat of a huge joy in life. The cat started escaping. With two young kids it happened a lot. She would run into the bushes near our house. Eventually bold enough to run into the woods. Sometimes we found her and sometimes she just came back after a few hours. Now we let her go outside.

After seeing her happily play outside - sometimes just rolling in the grass in the hot summer sun. I think it was cruel of me to keep our cat indoors.

It would be safer for you to only be indoors too. You could give that a try if you feel strongly about it.

I have had many, many cats over the years and the only ones that would bolt for the door or whine to go outside were the ones that were taught to do so.

All my current cats were feral rescues and none of them have any desire to go back outside. Sure, they like to look at the birds and squirrels but they don't meow, run for the door: or do anything like that.

Back when I had purebred cats they didn't even know what outside was and didn't miss it at all.

One thing I would suggest is that it sounds like you have an only cat. My first cat out of college I also only had one. A cat by herself tends to get really bored so I always make sure I have more than one now.

Outdoor cats kill birds, lizards, and other animals for sport. They fight with each other. They get killed by cars and other animals, especially coyotes, and sometimes even by cruel people. The neighbor's cat came home with a steel jaw trap on it which led to a big vet bill. Plus, you get to deal with fleas, worms, and all kinds of pests and disease including from the animals the cat literally drags in or consumes.

My mother had two cats raised outdoors which she claims need to go out to play during the day. When she was in a nursing home temporarily I kept them inside. At first there was incessant whining but by the end of the month they had adapted and were doing just fine inside. Of course she let them back out when she got out of the home despite vowing never to do so but now she frets every night if she can't find them at dusk because she has had three eaten by coyotes and one mauled by a neighbor's dog.

Your cat will thank you for being kept indoors and so will the foxes.

concordtom
dajo9 said:

In this thread:
Biden is the fox
Putin is the cat
Ukrainians are the birds
And I am Cal88

Think about it

But what about the poor rhino?
concordtom
MinotStateBeav said:

Really wish I didn't see that..thanks there guy. Maybe a warning next time. F'd up.

For those that don't want to watch. it's a Elephant gore a Rhino and it's not entertaining at all.

Just so people know…
Your comment was started by
Movielover, gardenerbar, bear hunter, and 4th burner account, who are all the same person. Just to harass me.

As for cats:
They are horrible for the bird population! Huge problem, do your research.

We have 2 and they are kept indoors for this reason and for dimitrig's reasons: no ticks or dirt or other unwanted.

A neighbor keeps multiple outdoor cats and they keep his garden clear of moles and rats. But they have a much shorter lifespan.
Cal88
concordtom said:

dajo9 said:

In this thread:
Biden is the fox
Putin is the cat
Ukrainians are the birds
And I am Cal88

Think about it

FAFO.
Eastern Oregon Bear
concordtom said:

dajo9 said:

In this thread:
Biden is the fox
Putin is the cat
Ukrainians are the birds
And I am Cal88

Think about it

The rhino is helltopay1.
prospeCt

dajo9
concordtom said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Just so people know…
Movielover, gardenerbar, bear hunter, and 4th burner account, who are all the same person. Just to harass me.

As for cats:

We have 2 and they are kept indoors for this reason and for dimitrig's reasons: no ticks or dirt or other unwanted.

A neighbor keeps multiple outdoor cats and they keep his garden clear of moles and rats. But they have a much shorter lifespan.

Birds are a noisy, fascist, nuisance. I wish my cat cleared out the whole neighborhood.
American Vermin
oski003
dajo9 said:

concordtom said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Just so people know…

As for cats:

Birds are a noisy, fascist, nuisance. I wish my cat cleared out the whole neighborhood.

Is this your future neighborhood?

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2015/11/24/spiders-take-over-tennessee-neighborhood-pkg.wmc
Cal88
MinotStateBeav said:

And that is why people should keep their elephants indoors. Too many rhinos getting hurt out there.
Goldener Bar
Cal88 said:

MinotStateBeav said:

And that is why people should keep their elephants indoors. Too many rhinos getting hurt out there.
Too many fascist RHINOS out there in my opinion. The fewer, the better.
Big C
dimitrig said:

dajo9 said:

dimitrig said:

dajo9 said:

I have had many, many cats over the years and the only ones that would bolt for the door or whine to go outside were the ones that were taught to do so.

All my current cats were feral rescues and none of them have any desire to go back outside. Sure, they like to look at the birds and squirrels but they don't meow, run for the door: or do anything like that.

Back when I had purebred cats they didn't even know what outside was and didn't miss it at all.

One thing I would suggest is that it sounds like you have an only cat. My first cat out of college I also only had one. A cat by herself tends to get really bored so I always make sure I have more than one now.

Outdoor cats kill birds, lizards, and other animals for sport. They fight with each other. They get killed by cars and other animals, especially coyotes, and sometimes even by cruel people. The neighbor's cat came home with a steel jaw trap on it which led to a big vet bill. Plus, you get to deal with fleas, worms, and all kinds of pests and disease including from the animals the cat literally drags in or consumes.

My mother had two cats raised outdoors which she claims need to go out to play during the day. When she was in a nursing home temporarily I kept them inside. At first there was incessant whining but by the end of the month they had adapted and were doing just fine inside. Of course she let them back out when she got out of the home despite vowing never to do so but now she frets every night if she can't find them at dusk because she has had three eaten by coyotes and one mauled by a neighbor's dog.

Your cat will thank you for being kept indoors and so will the foxes.

Agree on the "have two cats" idea. Of course, they have to get along with each other. Ours did.

Our neighborhood used to have cats outside, but it is pretty rare lately. Two sides of the story on that:

+ the birds can always fly away, right? If they can't, they weren't going to live that much longer anyway. Now we have crows all over the place.

+ Our neighborhood now has rats. Never used to have rats when we had outdoor cats. I tried putting up a sign that said our neighborhood is affluent enough to where the rats ought to keep out, but they didn't leave. I researched it and found out that rats can't read signs. Who knew?

+ When I walk through the neighborhood, I like seeing cats. I usually stop and pet them. It's fun. When I was a kid, we had a pet rat. he liked to be petted, too, but wild rats do not.

- outdoor cats tend to bring in fleas, if they stay indoors, you don't have to treat them very often. If your house gets a flea infestation, it's a pain in the ass. You finally get rid of them and then the cats bring in more.
oski003
I wouldn't have outdoor cats in my area because of coyotes.
concordtom
dajo9 said:

concordtom said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Just so people know…

As for cats:

That's ****ing awful!
dajo9
concordtom said:

dajo9 said:

concordtom said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Just so people know…

As for cats:

That's ****ing awful!

Don't worry Tom, my cat would starve to death before it could catch a healthy bird. Having spent it's formative years indoors, she's nothing more than a bug pouncer.
American Vermin
concordtom
dajo9 said:

concordtom said:

dajo9 said:

concordtom said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Just so people know…

As for cats:

That's ****ing awful!

Don't worry Tom, my cat would starve to death before it could catch a healthy bird. Having spent it's formative years indoors, she's nothing more than a bug pouncer.

I wake up to song birds dancing in the trees through the screened window, open when the weather is nice.

If I let my 2 cats out, they'd learn to stalk them, and then I'd be sad.
If they stalked mice and rats, cool.
I guess I'm into selective genocide.
Mosquitoes, ticks, rats, black widows. I also kill any rattlesnakes I come across.
But definitely not those delightful songbirds which are predated upon unfairly by cats which are sheltered and fed unnaturally by humans, throwing the natural order of things out of balance.
concordtom
Free-ranging domestic cats have been introduced globally and have contributed to multiple wildlife extinctions on islands. The magnitude of mortality they cause in mainland areas remains speculative, with large-scale estimates based on non-systematic analyses and little consideration of scientific data. Here we conduct a systematic review and quantitatively estimate mortality caused by cats in the United States. We estimate that free-ranging domestic cats kill 1.34.0 billion birds and 6.322.3 billion mammals annually. Un-owned cats, as opposed to owned pets, cause the majority of this mortality. Our findings suggest that free-ranging cats cause substantially greater wildlife mortality than previously thought and are likely the single greatest source of anthropogenic mortality for US birds and mammals. Scientifically sound conservation and policy intervention is needed to reduce this impact.

https://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms2380
dimitrig
concordtom said:

dajo9 said:

concordtom said:

dajo9 said:

concordtom said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Just so people know…

As for cats:

That's ****ing awful!

I wake up to song birds dancing in the trees through the screened window, open when the weather is nice.

If I let my 2 cats out, they'd learn to stalk them, and then I'd be sad.
If they stalked mice and rats, cool.
I guess I'm into selective genocide.
Mosquitoes, ticks, rats, black widows. I also kill any rattlesnakes I come across.
But definitely not those delightful songbirds which are predated upon unfairly by cats which are sheltered and fed unnaturally by humans, throwing the natural order of things out of balance.

Why do you kill rattlesnakes, especially if you hate rats?

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.