Brighten yer day Off Topic

2,659 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by concordtom
AunBear89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Tom is a big fan of situational ethics. It's a hold over from his days as a Reagan Republican.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
Goldener Bar
AunBear89 said:

Tom is a big fan of situational ethics. It's a hold over from his days as a Reagan Republican.
That's more the Democrats' speed. Presidents can't illegally hold classified documents, shouldn't start wars, shouldn't put babies in cages, and shouldn't enrich themselves and their scions through their office.

Unless they're Democrats.
Cal88
MinotStateBeav
Japanese culture is always interesting if anything. Chef Remi loves his drink :P
Cal88
These guys, the restaurateurs, are the hardest working people out there, and the good ones love their craft, and it shows. Back in the 90s I moonlighted a couple of years in the evenings as a cook, fun times.

It's hard enough running a restaurant, but having to put one together from a small cart then repack it every day like that guy above is another level. Similar story here with a young apprentice in Japan working a noodle stall:

concordtom
dimitrig said:

concordtom said:

dajo9 said:

concordtom said:

dajo9 said:

concordtom said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Really wish I didn't see that..thanks there guy. Maybe a warning next time. F'd up.

For those that don't want to watch. it's a Elephant gore a Rhino and it's not entertaining at all.

Just so people know…
Your comment was started by
Movielover, gardenerbar, bear hunter, and 4th burner account, who are all the same person. Just to harass me.

As for cats:
They are horrible for the bird population! Huge problem, do your research.

We have 2 and they are kept indoors for this reason and for dimitrig's reasons: no ticks or dirt or other unwanted.

A neighbor keeps multiple outdoor cats and they keep his garden clear of moles and rats. But they have a much shorter lifespan.

Birds are a noisy, fascist, nuisance. I wish my cat cleared out the whole neighborhood.

That's ****ing awful!

Don't worry Tom, my cat would starve to death before it could catch a healthy bird. Having spent it's formative years indoors, she's nothing more than a bug pouncer.

I wake up to song birds dancing in the trees through the screened window, open when the weather is nice.

If I let my 2 cats out, they'd learn to stalk them, and then I'd be sad.
If they stalked mice and rats, cool.
I guess I'm into selective genocide.
Mosquitoes, ticks, rats, black widows. I also kill any rattlesnakes I come across.
But definitely not those delightful songbirds which are predated upon unfairly by cats which are sheltered and fed unnaturally by humans, throwing the natural order of things out of balance.

Why do you kill rattlesnakes, especially if you hate rats?

Because I don't want them to bite me or any of my kids.
I work my 5-acre property, have seen 4 in 10 years, and nearly stepped on one 3 weeks ago while wearing flip flops. YIKES!!!!
dimitrig
concordtom said:

dimitrig said:

concordtom said:

dajo9 said:

concordtom said:

dajo9 said:

concordtom said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Really wish I didn't see that..thanks there guy. Maybe a warning next time. F'd up.

For those that don't want to watch. it's a Elephant gore a Rhino and it's not entertaining at all.

Just so people know…
Movielover, gardenerbar, bear hunter, and 4th burner account, who are all the same person. Just to harass me.

As for cats:

We have 2 and they are kept indoors for this reason and for dimitrig's reasons: no ticks or dirt or other unwanted.

A neighbor keeps multiple outdoor cats and they keep his garden clear of moles and rats. But they have a much shorter lifespan.

Birds are a noisy, fascist, nuisance. I wish my cat cleared out the whole neighborhood.

That's ****ing awful!

Don't worry Tom, my cat would starve to death before it could catch a healthy bird. Having spent it's formative years indoors, she's nothing more than a bug pouncer.

I wake up to song birds dancing in the trees through the screened window, open when the weather is nice.

Mosquitoes, ticks, rats, black widows. I also kill any rattlesnakes I come across.
But definitely not those delightful songbirds which are predated upon unfairly by cats which are sheltered and fed unnaturally by humans, throwing the natural order of things out of balance.

I work my 5-acre property, have seen 4 in 10 years, and nearly stepped on one 3 weeks ago while wearing flip flops. YIKES!!!!

You are more of a threat to them than they are to you.

I have 10 acres in the desert and I rarely see any snakes at all anymore, especially rattlesnakes, because people kill them out of fear. People also poison the rodent population which kills all sort of animals including snakes.

They aren't my favorite animal to have around but live and let live.

concordtom
dimitrig said:

concordtom said:

dimitrig said:

concordtom said:

dajo9 said:

concordtom said:

dajo9 said:

concordtom said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Just so people know…

As for cats:

That's ****ing awful!

I have 10 acres in the desert and I rarely see any snakes at all anymore, especially rattlesnakes, because people kill them out of fear. People also poison the rodent population which kills all sort of animals including snakes.

Yeah.
I totally understand.
And I feel bad, but when we moved there my youngest was 4. You think I'd be okay with her getting bit?

By the way, would you apply the same thinking to mosquitoes? I laugh about it but I see nothing positive about mosquitoes.
Or ticks.
I think they could go extinct and that'd be just fine.

How about tape worms? You like tape worms? Live and let live?
dajo9
concordtom said:

dimitrig said:

concordtom said:

dimitrig said:

concordtom said:

dajo9 said:

concordtom said:

dajo9 said:

concordtom said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Just so people know…

As for cats:

That's ****ing awful!

Yeah.
I totally understand.
And I feel bad, but when we moved there my youngest was 4. You think I'd be okay with her getting bit?

By the way, would you apply the same thinking to mosquitoes? I laugh about it but I see nothing positive about mosquitoes.
Or ticks.

And birds. Don't forget the birds.
American Vermin
DiabloWags
dimitrig said:

concordtom said:

Bingo.
That makes absolutely NO SENSE at all.
Every rattlesnake that I've ever come across on my block, I've happily moved back out into the Open Space.
Only takes about 15 minutes out of my day.

They are a very important part of the ecosystem.
This should be obvious.

Cal88
Is snake handling part of your excellent repertoire of skills?
calbear93
dimitrig said:

concordtom said:

dimitrig said:

concordtom said:

dajo9 said:

concordtom said:

dajo9 said:

concordtom said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Just so people know…

As for cats:

That's ****ing awful!

Well, isn't this how society is? Everyone determines what is right and what is wrong, according to their own opinions? If not, what determines what is right and what is wrong? What determines your standards?

It isn't that you concordtom or dimintrig is wrong. It's is that you each think everyone else should live according to your respective standards.

Personally, I don't like killing animals because, if not for the fact that I believe human beings have souls, animals are a lot more worthy to be here than we are. If we were all just part of random set of events without an intelligent design, what more right do you have to live than a rat or a snake other than Nietzsche's superman theory that boils down to might makes right? And if might makes right, then all this debate about morality or which animal should be protected is nonsense. If we are talking about the greater good (and not just greater good for us), then we in particular who create the most harm to the planet have the least right to exist.
concordtom
DiabloWags said:

dimitrig said:

concordtom said:

Bingo.
That makes absolutely NO SENSE at all.
Every rattlesnake that I've ever come across on my block, I've happily moved back out into the Open Space.
Only takes about 15 minutes out of my day.

They are a very important part of the ecosystem.
This should be obvious.

I live in the open space.
No streets and sidewalks.
Thx.
concordtom
dajo9 said:

concordtom said:

dimitrig said:

concordtom said:

dimitrig said:

concordtom said:

dajo9 said:

concordtom said:

dajo9 said:

concordtom said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Just so people know…

As for cats:

That's ****ing awful!

Yeah.
I totally understand.

Or ticks.

Rats with wings, right?
concordtom
Cal88 said:

Is snake handling part of your excellent repertoire of skills?

Yeah.
I practice on the garters.

Snakes are east - once you've spotted them.
dajo9
concordtom said:

dajo9 said:

concordtom said:

dimitrig said:

concordtom said:

dimitrig said:

concordtom said:

dajo9 said:

concordtom said:

dajo9 said:

concordtom said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Just so people know…

As for cats:

That's ****ing awful!

Yeah.
I totally understand.

Or ticks.

Rats with wings, right?

Rats are quiet. I like them more.
American Vermin
concordtom
dajo9 said:

concordtom said:

dajo9 said:

concordtom said:

dimitrig said:

concordtom said:

dimitrig said:

concordtom said:

dajo9 said:

concordtom said:

dajo9 said:

concordtom said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Just so people know…

As for cats:

That's ****ing awful!

Yeah.
I totally understand.

Or ticks.

Rats with wings, right?

Rats are quiet. I like them more.

Ha!
I guess you've never had them scratching in the walls beside you.

If so, it's "kill kill kill".
They can cause thousands in damages. I had one chew through pex water line, found ponding water in a room downstairs. Another, in another house, was making noise while sleeping next to me.

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.