Radio DJs are losing their jobs primarily because corporate station owners are shifting toward fully automated, DJ-less formats to reduce operational expenses. Increased competition from digital streaming forces corporate owners to trim payroll to be able to survive.
Technology is killing various career paths. Anyone ever think that this might be a factor in income inequality?
The comment is about inequality. Technology frequently creates economic and social inequalities by concentrating wealth among capital owners, favoring high-skilled labor, and leaving everyone else behind. The DJs are not going to create new AI apps to get rid of more jobs. Skilled grads from Cal, fund and MIT will. For example, tech areas like artificial intelligence are heavily concentrated within a handful of large corporations and the wealthy, shifting economic power away from everyday labor which becomes redundant. Channeling my inner Bernie and yet you come after me?
The comment is about inequality. Technology frequently creates economic and social inequalities by concentrating wealth among capital owners, favoring high-skilled labor, and leaving everyone else behind. The DJs are not going to create new AI apps to get rid of more jobs. Skilled grads from Cal, fund and MIT will. For example, tech areas like artificial intelligence are heavily concentrated within a handful of large corporations and the wealthy, shifting economic power away from everyday labor which becomes redundant. Channeling my inner Bernie and yet you come after me?
Hey. Hold on there. I said 4 words - about technology and job displacement and creation.
And you interpreted that as me coming after you??? Next time you end up in a spat online with me, please check yourself.
I did not comment further because I did not have a well thought out framework for how today's new technologies are causing increased wealth disparities vs yesterday's new technologies (I was thinking of the classic transition from horse buggy manufacturing to automobile manufacturing).
Please, feel free to opine and maybe I'll catch up and say something intelligent. Or unintelligent.
I will say this - Universal Basic Income is a concept I've been slowly coming to terms with. I did not favor it at all when first introduced. But last I heard the Mag 7 are 33% of the S&P 500 and 25-30% of the Wilshire 5000, which now has only 3400 constituents - down from double that when I was in that game.
Talk about concentration!!
USA is on a precipice. $40T and our political situation is totally unequipped to do anything different about it. I don't think it ends well.
Trump's cancellation of renewable energy (actual projects and importation of equipment) and wars for oil support Dalio's model of holding onto the old. Trump is backed by dying interests. They drive us into the pit sooner.
Good stuff, but no offense, you are making feel really old.
Welcome to the Club.
I still giggle when I think back on the head of the KSAN news department, Dave McQueen, starting off the news with, "Today in Saigon Dictator Thieu announced…."
(Seen here with Tom O' Hair)
….Dave later became part of the legit Bay Area broadcast news establishment.
Regarded as a seminal voice in local journalism, Dave passed away on August 8, 2021, at the age of 78.
“Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside”
—Jim Morrison
“I love Cal deeply, by the way, what are the directions to The Portal from Sproul Plaza?”
There is a lot of great musical content and DJs in college and community radios in a highly fragmented musical genre landscape, with many having national and international reach over the internet.
Dj's are mostly a private gig, clubs or shows, not a public. Although we can romanticize some of our youth, most were on the take from record companies
Dj's are mostly a private gig, clubs or shows, not a public. Although we can romanticize some of our youth, most were on the take from record companies
That wasn't the case for many local DJs and stations, like The Quake or Live105, or perhaps KFOG, KJAZ or the classical music channel. They played good music that their audience liked, more often than not from artists that didn't sell tons of albums/CDs, but the quality of their music build a decent-sized faithful radio audience and allowed them to sell commercials.
Gosh I loved the Lamont & Tonelli Show when I was commuting. My kind of music and tremendous 12 year old boy humor. They had an impressionist that did a Bill Clinton movie review bit called Bubba in the Balcony and they had Travolta as a roving reporter. I almost had to pull my car to the shoulder to stop from crashing I would laugh so hard.
The pretty sidekick, Chasta, is Last Man Standing.
“Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside”
—Jim Morrison
“I love Cal deeply, by the way, what are the directions to The Portal from Sproul Plaza?”
Dj's are mostly a private gig, clubs or shows, not a public. Although we can romanticize some of our youth, most were on the take from record companies
That wasn't the case for many local DJs and stations, like The Quake or Live105, or perhaps KFOG, KJAZ or the classical music channel. They played good music that their audience liked, more often than not from artists that didn't sell tons of albums/CDs, but the quality of their music build a decent-sized faithful radio audience and allowed them to sell commercials.
I agree, the DJ's in progressive rock stations played what they wanted... celery since some of was cutting edge great and some was just awful.