dajo9 said:
concordtom said:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/politics/articles/uc-berkeley-math-prof-says-212453187.html
A well known University of California-Berkeley mathematics professor has slammed admissions standards at the top-flight university where she says huge portions of her students are failing to keep up with college calculus and she's forced to teach middle-school algebra and fractions to students.
"Some students are five to eight years behind in mathematics. Office hours that should be spent discussing integrals instead become lessons on fractions and basic algebra you would expect students to learn in middle school," wrote Zvezdelina Stankova, of UC Berkeley, in an op-ed piece on Saturday for the San Francisco Standard.
Here's that link, https://sfstandard.com/opinion/2026/08/15/uc-berkeley-sat-test-blind-admissions-math-scores/
Stankova, who rose through the mathematics world to earn a PhD from Harvard after being born in communist Bulgaria, described the admissions process as "less like careful evaluation and more like chance."
Calculus is hard. I had to take it twice at Berkeley.
Calculus is easy. Or can be, depending on how good your teacher is, and when in your life you begin to study it.
There was some research done back in the 1960s, I believe, where the researches who were teachers taught the same identical beginning introductory calculus course to three classes of elementary school students, first graders, 3rd graders, and 7th graders. The results were not as one might have expected. The students who grasped and mastered the material the best, and who performed the best in examinations, were the first graders. The second best performers were the 3rd graders, and the 3rd best or lowest performing students were the 7th graders.
If you did not get a chance to take calculus until after you arrived at Cal, that might have been the reason you felt it was hard.
My experience before Cal was ideal for the times. I don't know how good it is now. I went to Lowell high school in SF. We had an extraordinary teacher in Ivan Barker, who taught there from the 1930s through 1966. He was a quiet man, wore a 3-piece suit, and he evaluated all the students, inviting the best math students to jump ahead in math and take more advanced courses in their early years at Lowell. Two students in my class, Gary Cooper and Jon Kuhn, were way ahead of all of us from the get go. They were both placed in a class of two, (them), and got individual assignments and tests from Barker. I don't know what became of Cooper, but Kuhn went to Cal and got bored. He paid his way through college by winning at poker games with his fraternity brothers, but he had a weakness for the girls and booze, and was flunking out. He transferred to UC Davis, where he got his PhD in Genetics. He took a position at the Technion University in Israel, and became a successful Geneticist. Sorry to digress.
So I learned enough at Lowell to skip the first year of calculus at Cal. That was not common in those days, so I had to go to the professor and ask to take the first year of Calculus at Cal by test. He gave me the final exam and I passed it. The second year of calculus was interesting, especially when they got into teaching about deriving the formulas for 3-dimensional objects or shapes. I had already learned some of that from looking through one of my father's old textbooks from when he went to Lowell, a textbook called, "Analytical Geometry". I was fascinated by it, and I used the book in studying the 2nd year of calculus at Cal.
One big problem at Cal was that professors did not teach some of my classes. Usually it was a TA, who was not much older than I was. For Math 4B, I had a TA who came from China, and spoke very poor English. He put this rudimentary formula on the blackboard, "y = f(x)" . He then said to the class in broken English, "I don't want you to think of this as y equals function of x. Think of this as y equals FATHER of x" I decided at that point that this guy could not teach his way out of a paper bag. Point I am making, is what makes some courses hard at Cal, is you don't always get trained or competent teachers, in spite of our reputation. At Cal for some subjects it is up to you and your time studying that will give you the most benefit, not always the classroom time.
SFCityBear