Off Topic
Sponsored by

Giants (and some other MLB teams) to partner with Kalshi

498 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Eastern Oregon Bear
Big C
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Is this a Booth? I hate to get Boothed...

The Giants announce a partnership with Kalshi. "Hey, if we don't, somebody else will!" (almost a direct quote) If I were a Dodger fan, I could feel superior, but they're doing it, too.

In other news, I'm finding out that I'm less of a libertarian than I might have thought. This gambling stuff is out of control. Supposedly, over half of American men between the ages of 20-45 have a gambling app on their phone.

bread and circus
Anarchistbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://finance.yahoo.com/markets/article/gen-z-swaps-retirement-saving-for-sports-betting-150207350.html

More than half of Gen Z adults ages 18 to 29 put money they had intended to invest for retirement into sports betting over the past year, according to a recent survey by the investing and financial advice app Betterment. And quite a few 14% said they're doing so several times a month.
BearlySane88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anarchistbear said:

https://finance.yahoo.com/markets/article/gen-z-swaps-retirement-saving-for-sports-betting-150207350.html

More than half of Gen Z adults ages 18 to 29 put money they had intended to invest for retirement into sports betting over the past year, according to a recent survey by the investing and financial advice app Betterment. And quite a few 14% said they're doing so several times a month.



I make high five figures a year from sports betting. It's not crazy money but it covers a lot of extras. It's also fun and makes boring sports a whole lot less boring.

*gambling addiction is real and if you have addiction issues, I encourage you to stay away from sports betting*
Big C
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BearlySane88 said:

Anarchistbear said:

https://finance.yahoo.com/markets/article/gen-z-swaps-retirement-saving-for-sports-betting-150207350.html

More than half of Gen Z adults ages 18 to 29 put money they had intended to invest for retirement into sports betting over the past year, according to a recent survey by the investing and financial advice app Betterment. And quite a few 14% said they're doing so several times a month.



I make high five figures a year from sports betting. It's not crazy money but it covers a lot of extras. It's also fun and makes boring sports a whole lot less boring.

*gambling addiction is real and if you have addiction issues, I encourage you to stay away from sports betting*

Don't you worry that you're gonna lose?

I feel like putting big bucks on the "over" for Vegas setting the number on Cal's season at 6.5 wins. Problem is, if I did that, JKS would probably tear an ACL or something the very next day..
bearister
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone that calls out someone for a Booth is a passive aggressive a$$h@le that is the type of guy that would correct their wife in public when she is telling a story.



*Yeah, gambling is f'd up…..



“Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside”
—Jim Morrison

“I love Cal deeply, by the way, what are the directions to The Portal from Sproul Plaza?”
Anarchistbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BearlySane88 said:

Anarchistbear said:

https://finance.yahoo.com/markets/article/gen-z-swaps-retirement-saving-for-sports-betting-150207350.html

More than half of Gen Z adults ages 18 to 29 put money they had intended to invest for retirement into sports betting over the past year, according to a recent survey by the investing and financial advice app Betterment. And quite a few 14% said they're doing so several times a month.



I make high five figures a year from sports betting. It's not crazy money but it covers a lot of extras. It's also fun and makes boring sports a whole lot less boring.

*gambling addiction is real and if you have addiction issues, I encourage you to stay away from sports betting*


Kalshi of course is not just sports betting- you can bet on the outcome of the Iran war; you can bet on whether clinical drug trials succeed or fail. I find that some of this stuff invites meddling or fixing .. sports too for that matter
BearlySane88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Big C said:

BearlySane88 said:

Anarchistbear said:

https://finance.yahoo.com/markets/article/gen-z-swaps-retirement-saving-for-sports-betting-150207350.html

More than half of Gen Z adults ages 18 to 29 put money they had intended to invest for retirement into sports betting over the past year, according to a recent survey by the investing and financial advice app Betterment. And quite a few 14% said they're doing so several times a month.



I make high five figures a year from sports betting. It's not crazy money but it covers a lot of extras. It's also fun and makes boring sports a whole lot less boring.

*gambling addiction is real and if you have addiction issues, I encourage you to stay away from sports betting*

Don't you worry that you're gonna lose?

I feel like putting big bucks on the "over" for Vegas setting the number on Cal's season at 6.5 wins. Problem is, if I did that, JKS would probably tear an ACL or something the very next day..


Of course I am but I also know my limits and can control myself. It's like when you go to a casino, take the money you're willing to lose in cash and leave all plastic behind. No ATM runs allowed. If you lose all that you brought in cash, you're done and you walk away.

Hard rule for me, never bet on my own teams. Too scared I will jinx them, ala JKS ACL as you mentioned, and I know I'm too much of a Cal, Raiders, Warriors, etc. homer even when I'm trying not to be.
BearlySane88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anarchistbear said:

BearlySane88 said:

Anarchistbear said:

https://finance.yahoo.com/markets/article/gen-z-swaps-retirement-saving-for-sports-betting-150207350.html

More than half of Gen Z adults ages 18 to 29 put money they had intended to invest for retirement into sports betting over the past year, according to a recent survey by the investing and financial advice app Betterment. And quite a few 14% said they're doing so several times a month.



I make high five figures a year from sports betting. It's not crazy money but it covers a lot of extras. It's also fun and makes boring sports a whole lot less boring.

*gambling addiction is real and if you have addiction issues, I encourage you to stay away from sports betting*


Kalshi of course is not just sports betting- you can bet on the outcome of the Iran war; you can bet on whether clinical drug trials succeed or fail. I find that some of this stuff invites meddling or fixing .. sports too for that matter


Definitely with you on that and not a huge fan of the Kalshi type betting platforms for the reason you mentioned.
Anarchistbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BearlySane88 said:

Anarchistbear said:

https://finance.yahoo.com/markets/article/gen-z-swaps-retirement-saving-for-sports-betting-150207350.html

More than half of Gen Z adults ages 18 to 29 put money they had intended to invest for retirement into sports betting over the past year, according to a recent survey by the investing and financial advice app Betterment. And quite a few 14% said they're doing so several times a month.



I make high five figures a year from sports betting. It's not crazy money but it covers a lot of extras. It's also fun and makes boring sports a whole lot less boring.

*gambling addiction is real and if you have addiction issues, I encourage you to stay away from sports betting*


I would venture that the largest volume of bets are from "addicts". This is true of most addictions
smh
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Big C said:

Supposedly, over half of American men between the ages of 20-45 have a gambling app on their phone.

Like a few other luddites we don't have a mobile, just a battered carry around
the house relic for convenient access to a modem's landline.

but now, hopefully just a rumor, att wants to end landline service??? < scary >
BearlySane88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anarchistbear said:

BearlySane88 said:

Anarchistbear said:

https://finance.yahoo.com/markets/article/gen-z-swaps-retirement-saving-for-sports-betting-150207350.html

More than half of Gen Z adults ages 18 to 29 put money they had intended to invest for retirement into sports betting over the past year, according to a recent survey by the investing and financial advice app Betterment. And quite a few 14% said they're doing so several times a month.



I make high five figures a year from sports betting. It's not crazy money but it covers a lot of extras. It's also fun and makes boring sports a whole lot less boring.

*gambling addiction is real and if you have addiction issues, I encourage you to stay away from sports betting*


I would venture that the largest volume of bets are from "addicts". This is true of most addictions


No argument there. Many addicts make bank gambling. Many lose bank gambling.
bearister
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Only 3% to 5% of frequent gamblers actually make money over the long term. A massive five-year study by the University of California San Diego, tracking over 700,000 online gamblers, found that exactly 96% lost money, leaving just 4% in the profit.

*Profile of that rare gambler that consistently wins over time:

Key Characteristics

Unshakable Discipline:
They strictly manage their bankroll and walk away when rules dictate, completely ignoring short-term outcomes.

Emotional Detachment:
They separate their ego from the game, meaning they do not feel euphoria after a win or anger/desperation ("tilting") after a loss.

Deep Analytical Skills:
They focus exclusively on games with a skill element (like poker or professional sports betting) where they can calculate probabilities, odds, and expected value.

High Tolerance for Ambiguity:
They accept that variance and losing streaks will happen even when their strategy is mathematically sound.

Risk Management:
They risk only a tiny, predetermined fraction of their total capital on any single bet to survive inevitable downswings.

"I use AI to do my analytics…




“Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside”
—Jim Morrison

“I love Cal deeply, by the way, what are the directions to The Portal from Sproul Plaza?”
BearlySane88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Being in the 4% for the first time in my life is kinda nice.
Eastern Oregon Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My sports betting went way downhill once I reached the end date for the Gray's Sports Almanac.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.