Off Topic
Sponsored by

Diagnosing and preventing dementia and Alzheimer

788 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by smh
Cal88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Very good presentation:

concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
thanks.
this is excellent.
I never heard of this guy but he covers quite a range of things, not just Alzheimer's.




Dr. Dale Bredesen has written four major books focused on understanding, preventing, and reversing cognitive decline and Alzheimer's disease.

Major Books by Dr. Dale Bredesen
  • The End of Alzheimer's: The First Program to Prevent and Reverse Cognitive Decline (2017)
    Introduces the foundational science behind the Bredesen Protocol, outlining 36 metabolic factors that influence cognitive health and explaining how lifestyle modifications can reverse early decline. [1, 2, 3]
  • The End of Alzheimer's Program: The First Protocol to Enhance Cognition and Reverse Decline at Any Age (2020)
    Acts as a practical, step-by-step workbook and guide detailing how to implement the personalized protocol and dietary habits (like the Ketoflex 12/3 diet) in daily life. [1, 2]
  • The First Survivors of Alzheimer's: How Patients Recovered Life and Hope in Their Own Words (2021)
    Features real-life case studies and personal accounts from patients who successfully recovered cognitive function using the protocol. [1, 2]
  • The Ageless Brain: How to Sharpen and Protect Your Mind for a Lifetime (2025)
    Explores the latest science in neurodegeneration, focusing on optimizing "brain span," maintaining sharp cognitive function, and preventing age-related decline. [1, 2, 3]
cal83dls79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My brother in law (Cal undergrad and Boalt) was diagnosed with Alzheimer's about a year ago. The decline was rapid, although in retrospect there were many signs that I saw as concerning that others passed off as idiosyncratic behavior or heightened narcissistic behavior brought about by age. Some of the behaviors were odd. As the year progressed you could see sudden and obvious examples of further decline…..like one day you are driving, the next day you don't have a liscense, one month you can stay at home alone, the next you need adult care, few months later you are getting lost in hotels in your underwear at night and the next you are in memory care. His father was a victim as well. Sad, I mean he did everything to prepare for that possibility… including running several Iron Man events, an avid swimmer ,runner and professor and grandfather.

Priest of the Patty Hearst Shrine
Cal88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The video above does a good job in terms of describing a holistic approach to managing and reducing dementia through nutrition, lifestyle (stress management, sleep etc) as well as exercise.
concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
cal83dls79 said:

My brother in law (Cal undergrad and Boalt) was diagnosed with Alzheimer's about a year ago. The decline was rapid, although in retrospect there were many signs that I saw as concerning that others passed off as idiosyncratic behavior or heightened narcissistic behavior brought about by age. Some of the behaviors were odd. As the year progressed you could see sudden and obvious examples of further decline…..like one day you are driving, the next day you don't have a liscense, one month you can stay at home alone, the next you need adult care, few months later you are getting lost in hotels in your underwear at night and the next you are in memory care. His father was a victim as well. Sad, I mean he did everything to prepare for that possibility… including running several Iron Man events, an avid swimmer ,runner and professor and grandfather.




That's interesting.
9 months ago my mom (81) said, "where am I? How long have I lived here?"
A: home, 30 years. She was astonished.

We moved her into Assisted Living. She's doing so much better. Very happy!

But she definitely had been taking downward steps, in retrospect. Couldn't live at the house by herself anymore.

Wouldn't let the dog out for fear of it running away or getting eaten by a coyote - so the house became disgusting!

And she apparently got lost driving in her own neighborhood. My sister saw her on iPhone tracking and mom was driving all around unable to navigate to the school she had delivered my sister to long ago.

I've been expecting further big drop offs, but with the socialization and the same daily schedule of the place, I think she's gotten a bit better. Certainly quality of life has improved.

So, my question for you is… you listed lots of moments of decline, but that didn't all happen within one year, did it?

I'm expecting this is going to run 5-10 years for us.

I've got a great YouTube channel I've been watching for 4 years or so. Dan and Ed Salinger of Elk Grove. Father Ed is getting near the end. Son Dan posts daily. Initial posts were a bit comical, which is where we are at. Dad would go to the driveway and ask where his car was, he was ready to get in and drive everyone like the old days. "No, dad, you sold you car?"
"What? Why would I do that?!"
"Because you don't have a drivers license anymore."
"Huh?"

Today he consumes liquid food because swallowing is problematic, and cleaning him and toileting is a constant.

It's a great lesson for millions of viewers on caretaking. I'm learning a ton. And possibly preparing for my own future.

concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This one is from a few years ago when he was walking.



This is one of several on the same subject.
concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This is also another common video. And I have this conversation with my mother regularly. I no longer tell her numbers. Because she doesn't know what that means. And she'll tell people.

I just tell her she has enough. She says "to live here the rest of my life till I die?"
Yes, mom.
"Okay, I'm trusting you!"

concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It's been a great education for me and many others!




Anyone dealing with this, I recommend learning alongside the rest of us.
cal83dls79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Each person is different, really depends on genetics and how each person reacts to various treatments. I believe he his on medication. Sudden decline is not uncommon after periods of stability and the downward slope gets real steep.

Edit: brother in law is 67.
Priest of the Patty Hearst Shrine
smh
How long do you want to ignore this user?
swell thread, tnx y'all
# home sweet home // go wifey
smh
How long do you want to ignore this user?
concordtom said:

thanks.
this is excellent.
I never heard of this guy but he covers quite a range of things, not just Alzheimer's.

Dr. Dale Bredesen has written four major books focused on understanding, preventing, and reversing cognitive decline and Alzheimer's disease..

thanks for recommend, placed hold(s) at our treasured local public library
concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yes, mom is now on memantadine, or however you spell it.

She had been living alone on a hill for 9 years since her husband died, and cannot recall any of it. Total lack of stimulation.
Isolation is not good.
The community she lives in now provides a framework for her that works.

All of this senior care, senior living stuff was a complete unknown to me before.

I understand there may be a timeline on memantadine where it stops helping. And yes, sudden downward steps are something I expect, sadly.
concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
smh said:

concordtom said:

thanks.
this is excellent.
I never heard of this guy but he covers quite a range of things, not just Alzheimer's.

Dr. Dale Bredesen has written four major books focused on understanding, preventing, and reversing cognitive decline and Alzheimer's disease..

thanks for recommend, placed hold(s) at our treasured local public library


I get books on my phone via the app Libby. Audiobooks mainly.

You download the app.
Then get a membership # or card at your local library and load it into the App. You can thus digitally checkout whatever that library has.

I have gone to various libraries and obtained the following, which means the chances I can "check out" whatever I'm looking for is higher:

San Francisco library
Contra Costa County library
Sacramento county library
Placer County library
And then there's some digital library, too. So I have 5 systems. Not all require you provide proof of residency. SF wanted nothing. I think Sacramento accepted that I worked there, nothing more. Coco and Placer wanted my addresses, which I have.

I should get a DC or NYC card. They'd have additional books that west coast doesn't.

I listen to books while I work and it keeps me focused and going.



smh
How long do you want to ignore this user?
concordtom said:

Yes, mom is now on memantadine, or however you spell it.

my memantine dose allows twice a day < stupid/happy face goes here >
concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm following to my own advice and currently listening to this on Libby:

The First Survivors of Alzheimer's.

Thx!!
smh
How long do you want to ignore this user?
concordtom said:

I'm following to my own advice and currently listening to this on Libby:
The First Survivors of Alzheimer's.
Thx!!

yep, thanks cct, book also found (free) from our favorite public library, a smile away, placed on hold this morning.
Quote:

The First Survivors of Alzheimer's
How Patients Recovered Life and Hope in Their Own Words
byline Bredesen, Dale E.


fair thee well # time flies, then we dies
Refresh
Page 1 of 1
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.