Can Trump pardon himself?

4,001 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by concordtom
concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?

On December 2nd 1804, Napoleon Bonaparte crowned himself the emperor of France in the Notre-Damme Cathedral in Paris. "The Coronation of Napoleon" is a painting completed in 1807 by Jacques-Louis David, the official painter of Napoleon, depicting the coronation of Napoleon I at Notre-Dame de Paris. Wikipedia

Ultimate power.
If Trump can pardon himself and everyone he likes with no limits, then he approaches the stature of Bonaparte, another very SMALL man.
concordtom

5 February, 1805: Napoleon himself accepts to become King of Italy (not king just king of Lombardy), regardless of the fact that this would be perceived as an affront to Austria.
concordtom

It was held in Napolean's mind that there was no other entity capable of crowning him.
Not the head any church.
Not the head of any political body.
He was superior to all of them.
Therefore, only he could hold the authority to crown himself.
concordtom
concordtom
?v=20130718035803&width=450&height=450
concordtom
concordtom
Vanity.
Narcissism.
Another Bear

If Trump pardons himself it's almost self-executing impeachement

golden sloth
Instead of the media fixating on this, which I believe will have very little impact overall (its just another crazy Trump quote), I'd much rather have them keep railing on Scott Pruitt's corruption, and the potential bailout for coal (which needs to be left to die) https://www.politico.com/story/2018/06/01/donald-trump-rick-perry-coal-plants-617112.

I'd love for the media to stop chasing every Trump quote looking to provide their audience with the latest dopamine release of outrage, and keep focused on all the horrible policy decisions he has made. The problem is that it makes so much financial sense for the media to hook 50+% of the population on outrage.
bearister
https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.nytimes.com/2018/05/31/us/politics/pardons-trump.amp.html

Short answer: The issue would probably get resolved by a court. At the rate tRump is appointing judges, he is well on his way of transforming the Judicial Branch into a rubber stamp for Executive Branch actions.

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Another Bear
I get what you're saying and agree. Unfortunately the dopamine hit thing is real, and the interwebz has brought it to you everywhere you have your phone or computer. Engineers literally spend millions of hours figuring out how to hook you better. That has moved over to traditional journalism because they use the interwebz too and they make $$$ off it.

As for getting to policy and forgoing the circus, unfortunately the circus and fascist policy go hand in hand and in fact are straight from the fascist and Nazi playbook. Part of the problem is the structure of American media and chasing the "man bites dog" stories, which is basically everything Trump does.

Unfortunately I think the FBI, Mueller and the American people have to wade through the swamp to catch and kill the swamp monsters. It's unpleasant, messed up and dangerous but that's by design. We're literally dealing with Nazis here with the brain trust of Bannon, Miller (still in the WH) and the other Nazi ***heads.

In the end Trump will go down. He's a pathological liar and this simply can't hold up. Like any disaster or catastrophe, we're going to eat a bunch of shyt before the problems gets rectified and we can collectively rinse and spit that horrible Trump shyt taste from your mouths.
oski003
Why does everyone have the need to cuss on this site? Are you so inclined to use cuss words, that you have to spell them differently to get by the language filters? Please try an alternative word!
bearister
oski003 said:

Why does everyone have the need to cuss on this site? Are you so inclined to use cuss words, that you have to spell them differently to get by the language filters? Please try an alternative word!

When I was 12 years old I was playing golf after school with a couple of buddies at Lake Chabot when the late Kip Fong (son of March Fong Eu) joined us. After a couple of holes he said to us, "You guys sure swear a lot for a bunch of Catholic school boys." I have felt like I am bad person ever since.
Unit2Sucks
I think you guys sound like presidential sons of b1tches.
Another Bear
oski003 said:

WHY? You asked why? Okay...here you go.

PEOPLE WHO SWEAR MORE ARE MORE HONEST, NEW PSYCHOLOGY STUDY FINDS

People Who Swear May Be Happier, Healthier And More Honest

Theory 1: you exorcise the negative energy by cursing. Get it out of your system.
Theory 2: this is why conservatives don't curse...not into being happy or honest
Unit2Sucks
Every conservative in the Trump administration seems to curse ... when they talk about their president.
I don't think it's a political issue. Remember Tipper Gore?
AunBear89
Feckin snowflake....
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
sonofabear51
I would use stronger words for 003.
concordtom
Well now that wasn't nice.
Dude makes a fair and honest reply and rather than respect it or at worst ignore it you shove it back in his face rudely, with relish.

Another Bear's answer is my answer. I feel better when I let it out!!

Bearister... well that's because you ARE a bad person, but it has nothing to do with the cursing. (jk)
concordtom
So, you agree with me?
Trump = Nazi
Trump = Napoleon
golden sloth
oski003 said:

I believe Americans are too prudish with regards to language. If the word exists, it exists for a reason, to help convey a message, point or feeling, and an increased range of vocabulary helps achieve that objective. Therefore, I will not arbitrarily reduce the tools at my disposal to express myself concisely because other people have determined it is not 'proper'. **** proper, effective communication is more important.
bearister
concordtom said:

Bearister... well that's because you ARE a bad person, but it has nothing to do with the cursing. (jk)

Another Bear
Back on topic you poshtwat mothersuckers turdstrutting bags of crap...Dotard Donnie says he can pardon himself.

Quote:

As has been stated by numerous legal scholars, I have the absolute right to PARDON myself, but why would I do that when I have done nothing wrong? In the meantime, the never ending Witch Hunt, led by 13 very Angry and Conflicted Democrats (& others) continues into the mid-terms

Another Bear
Unit2Sucks said:

Every conservative in the Trump administration seems to curse ... when they talk about their president.
I don't think it's a political issue. Remember Tipper Gore?
Rat *******s do curse but in the Trump Administartion the vast array of pure lying negates the honesty factor, so they're just lying sacks of sheeet as everyone knows.

Tipper Gore, two words: ULTRA PRUDE.
okaydo
bearister
I think tRump's prison husband will protect him like a prized jewel.
AunBear89
He might be able to - there seems to be some debate so it is an unresolved issue.

We DO know that bluedud can do THIS to himself:

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
dajo9
I cuss because it annoys uptight people
"They're eating the pets"
3 time Republican nominee for President
mikecohen
concordtom said:

So, you agree with me?
Trump = Nazi
Trump = Napoleon
So far, the major difference between Trump and them, is that they were capable of uniting whole populations in ultimately destructive endeavors expressly to conquer the world. Also different, I think, is the chaotic domestic situation out of which Hitler and Napoleon arose, and for which they were temporary remedies.
mikecohen
golden sloth said:

oski003 said:

I believe Americans are too prudish with regards to language. If the word exists, it exists for a reason, to help convey a message, point or feeling, and an increased range of vocabulary helps achieve that objective. Therefore, I will not arbitrarily reduce the tools at my disposal to express myself concisely because other people have determined it is not 'proper'. **** proper, effective communication is more important.
The major nit I would pick with this is that effective communication depends also on the ability of the person with whom one is trying to communicate to receive the communication. So, among other things, I always (if I am not sure) ask permission to use foul language if I feel that the curse word is the most accurate.
bearister
"The Presidency is not merely an administrative office. That's the least of it. It is more than an engineering job, efficient or inefficient. It is pre-eminently a place of moral leadership." Franklin D. Roosevelt

"For only the President represents the national interest," JFK said. "Upon him alone converge all the needs and aspirations of all parts of the country...all nations of the world."

Oops!
Another Bear
That would make a hilarious SNL skit...or something even darker. I'd like the Veep producers to take a really, really dark take on it.

Dotard could hang out with all his buddies, Michael Cohen the super fixer, Flynn, Manafort, the 13 Russkies.

No doubt the Aryan Brotherhood would protect him...after tossed salad and some tats. Trump would pick the Chuck Manson special, the swastika on the third eye.

P.s. I curse in casual and friendly company. Never curse at work, although those who know me knows I can drop an F bomb backed up the whole alphabet. The other week I was at the printer and something came out messed up. I said CRAP...and managing partner laughed and said, "that's it?"
bearister
Another Bear said:

No doubt the Aryan Brotherhood would protect him...after tossed salad ....

Just when I was getting over the Romaine scare.

concordtom
bearister said:

I think tRump's prison husband will protect him like a prized jewel.
Let's just send him to Elba.
okaydo
https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/11/president-obama-is-not-a-monarch-113028
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.