Shows on Netflix / Prime

6,090 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by golden sloth
golden sloth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm always on the lookout for some new good Netflix / Amazon Prime shows. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them. A few of my favorites are listed below, I left off the shows I enjoyed but also aired on cable like Halt and Catch Fire:

Dramas:
1. Luther (with Idris Elba) (Netflix) Season 1 was the best, and its been in a slow decline, but I'd still watch.
2. Its the End of the F***ing World (Netflix)
3. Occupied (Netflix) [Full disclosure, Season 1 was okay, but Season 2 was great]
4. Wormwood (Netflix) [More of a documentary]
5. Peaky Blinders (Netlfix) (First, season was really good, but has been on a steady decline)

Sci/Fi:
1. Dark (Netflix)
2. Electric Dreams (Prime)
3. Black Mirror (Netflix)
4. Stranger Things (Netflix)
5. Fortitude (Prime) Season 1 was interesting, Season 2 got a little too out there for me.

Comedies:
1. Catastrophe (Prime)
2. Glow (Netflix)
3. Comrade Detective (Prime) [Yes, this was a Romanian drama from the 80's, but watching it now from an American perspective turned it into a comedy for me]
bearister
1. Ozark
2. Narcos
3. The Fall
4. Fargo (All 3 seasons)
5. 11.22.63
6. Mindhunter
7. The Missing
8. Sherlock
9. Ripper Street
10. The Man in the High Castle
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
wifeisafurd
bearister said:

1. Ozark
2. Narcos
3. The Fall
4. Fargo (All 3 seasons)
5. 11.22.63
6. Mindhunter
7. The Missing
8. Sherlock
9. Ripper Street
10. The Man in the High Castle
Bosch
Ozark
Shetland
The Fall
Britannia
Last Kingdom
Wallander
Secret City
Arrested Development
Luther
House of Cards (over?)
Patriot
Anarchistbear
Godless
Peaky Blinders
Borgen
Wild Wild Country
sycasey
I've had a hard time committing to hour-long dramas on the streaming services, but half-hour stuff is great:

Glow
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
Dear White People

I mostly enjoyed Mindhunter, but I'm not sure where it's going to go from here. Stranger Things was fun in the first season, but the second season started showing some limitations IMO.
okaydo
Speaking of which: I took these photos a few months ago out here in L.A. Pretty cool.

Netflix rented out an entire studio for 2 months to promote their shows. They had events like Jamie Foxx interviewing Barbra Streisand and David Letterman interviewing Jerry Seinfeld.

And that's why they're No. 1 in Emmy nominations.

golden sloth
On a semi-related note. I think it is BS how some directors are against Netflix being nominated for the Oscars because they don't have a 'theatrical release'. If the movie was released digitally, and it is quality, it should be recognized as such.
golden sloth
Is the Man in the High Castle good? I watched the first two episodes and the pacing was way too slow for me.
bearister
golden sloth said:

Is the Man in the High Castle good? I watched the first two episodes and the pacing was way too slow for me.

My 26 year old son liked it. His old man dumped it. Just like I quit Goliath after Season 1.
prospeCt

"Give to Cal Legends! https://calegends.com/donation/ Do it ", if so inclined, & beneficent 🙏🏼
bearister
I may be one of the few on earth that liked Barry Lyndon. Also enjoyed Thackeray's book. Also the only person on earth that enjoyed The Counselor. That was a death unique in movie history they conferred on Brad Pitt.
rkt88edmo
I love Barry Lyndon, but I treat it as a trip to a museum, just observe and enjoy the immersion.

Of course the rotation on offerings changes, but
All things Kubrick (on Prime FEAR AND DESIRE is now available!!!), took a Kubrick DeCal class.
All things Coen
All things Studio Ghibli/Miyazaki

I can't say it is the greatest, but it is my favorite and one of the most influential sci-fi-ish flicks from the 80s, on Prime, The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai: Across the Eigth Dimension

If you like some of the darker and scifi there is the amazing MR ROBOT (S1&2 on prime, S3 should drop before year end)

If you haven't seen West World, it is worth signing up for HBO for a month via Prime to binge it and then cancelling.

If you never watched The Wire or Breaking Bad, you can catch them. Twin Peaks S1&2
okaydo
rkt88edmo said:

I love Barry Lyndon, but I treat it as a trip to a museum, just observe and enjoy the immersion.

All things Kubrick (on Prime FEAR AND DESIRE is now available!!!), took a Kubrick DeCal class.
All things Coen

I can't say it is the greatest, but it is my favorite and one of the most influential sci-fi-ish flicks from the 80s, on Prime, The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai: Across the Eigth Dimension

If you like some of the darker and scifi there is the amazing MR ROBOT (S1&2 on prime, S3 should drop before year end)

If you haven't seen West World, it is worth signing up for HBO for a month via Prime to binge it and then cancelling.

If you never watched The Wire or Breaking Bad, you can catch them. Twin Peaks S1&2

Here's how my mind works: I can connect Mr. Robot to Cal Football.

Shameless star Emmy Rossum used to date Adam Duritz, who took her to at least one Cal football game.

Rossum would go on to date Sam Esmail, Mr. Robot's creator. (they are now married)

Esmail was looking for a lead actor for his show. Rossum had just seen HBO's WWII epic The Pacific, and recommended Rami Malek.

wifeisafurd
The Wire is everything TV should be.
bearister
wifeisafurd said:

I think Idris will make an awesome James Bond. Dude's got swagger.
wifeisafurd
bearister said:

wifeisafurd said:

Is this for sure? Wow, great news for Bond franchise if true.
joe amos yaks
These old favorites --

Wallander
Occupied
Homeland
The Bureau
The Americans
and
Case Histories
The Inspector and the Sea
Vera (if you can understand what they are saying)

And a classic best with the great Alec Guinness
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (more recently with Gary Oldman, but Sir Alec was best)
Smiley's People
Note: Observe the "technology gap". This was cold war made in 1979.

"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
rkt88edmo
okaydo said:

rkt88edmo said:

All things Coen

Here's how my mind works: I can connect Mr. Robot to Cal Football.

Shameless star Emmy Rossum used to date Adam Duritz, who took her to at least one Cal football game.

Rossum would go on to date Sam Esmail, Mr. Robot's creator. (they are now married)

Esmail was looking for a lead actor for his show. Rossum had just seen HBO's WWII epic The Pacific, and recommended Rami Malek.

I can do you one better:

Agent Santiago - played by Omar Metwally, Cal '97 - I'm sure Omar went to at least one game.

Also, Esmail is building the Egyptian Mafia in Hollywood - Esmail, Rami, Omar, and others on the show...
bearister
Nic Cage, the human jazz riff:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/aug/14/i-watched-nicolas-cage-movies-for-14-hours-straight-and-im-sold
bearister
One of best scenes for me in MI:

concordtom

RECOMMENDED FILM:

I watched last night on Netflix a 2-hour movie called EXPERIMENTER.

It is about the 1960 tests that Milgram did to understand how the Nazis could persecute the Jews as they did, and then reply with "I was just following orders". The test deals with Authority and Conformity.

The psych test involves 2 people: one a Teacher and the other a Learner/Respondent. They enter a room, are told how the test is going to go and then (non)randomly assigned roles. The "teacher" reads word pairs, while the "respondent" (who is in on the act) sits on the other side of a muffled wall and reads back via electronic indicators the word pairs in order. If correct, the "teacher" moves on to the next word pairs. If incorrect, he gives a zap of electricity to the "respondent", who is hooked up to a zapper on his arm (not really, but the "teacher" doesn't know this. With each incorrect answer, the amount of voltage in the zap would be increased. The teacher was given an initial 45 volt zap before the test to make it real to them, and to indicate how much 45 volts felt like (unpleasant but unharmful).

Milgram wanted to see if the "teachers" would initiate their own free will and rational logic to stop with the test, or if they would continue onward. To his surprise and dismay, most subjects continued to over 400 volts. The respondent would react audibly as the voltage increased thru the muffled wall with "ouch", then "hey, stop that, it hurts", to "I have a heart condition, I want to stop the test". Even with the voltage at lethal levels of over 400 volts, long after the respondent became silent, as if dead, most teachers continued with the exam - only because the administrator was sitting behind them telling them that they must continue to complete the exam to make it valid.

I was surprised (because it is slow paced) to find that I really enjoyed it very much. It gave me insights into not only the Trump world but also into people in my family who have power. It has made me consider the roles in society that we assign Authority to, such that we are willing to conform: people in Uniform, Older people, people of Wealth, with a superior job Title, or Expert knowledge.... However it is gained, this authority is power, and as we've seen in the "Stanford Prison Study", another film currently on Netflix, power corrupts.

Milgram went on to discuss personality types and who is more susceptible to granting another authority over them.

I very much recommend the film. It's setting is unique as well, with a number of scenes done with painted flat backdrops to indicate they are merely doing a historical recreation. It's a bit artsy in that sense, which I liked.

a couple links for myself:
https://opentextbc.ca/socialpsychology/chapter/obedience-power-and-leadership/
https://hbr.org/2004/09/why-people-follow-the-leader-the-power-of-transference
golden sloth
I saw that movie recently as well. It is well done and I enjoyed it. It is kind of freaky how many people were able to morally justify 'following orders', which leads me to believe people should be able to freely question authority.
concordtom
Of course people can question authority, in this test at least, but they did not. That was the crazy thing about it.

In Germany, soldiers had guns pointed at them if they opposed, so that's a bit different perhaps.

There ARE very many similarities to nazi Germany and Trump's USA. The movie spawned a whole pack of hours with me reading about conformity to authority.
Who assumes authority?
Who follows authority?
When do people allow the group to respond and direct them?

A couple scenes of interest:

Table of 6 responders, 5 of whom are staged. Questioner asks which line on a page matches length of another given line. The "subject" answers 5th in order and follows the crowd when they intentionally respond incorrectly. Happens every time. What stooges we are.

Busy urban sidewalk, staged guy starts starring up at a blank area in the sky as if he sees something really interesting. Pretty soon, he's got a gaggle of people around him looking up at the same area. For what? Group think. Follow the leader.
bearister
With regard to the Stanford Prison Experiment, why would anyone allow a Stanford student playing the role of a guard to be abusive to them? If I was playing the roll of a prisoner, I would end up in real prison as a result of such an encounter.
concordtom
The Agentic State

concordtom
bearister said:

With regard to the Stanford Prison Experiment, why would anyone allow a Stanford student playing the role of a guard to be abusive to them? If I was playing the roll of a prisoner, I would end up in real prison as a result of such an encounter.
Bear, if you were in a prison guarded by Furdies, I think you'd be a copy cat of this guy:

wifeisafurd
bearister said:

You should see the program. Zimbardo as Superintendent of the "prison" (and admitted he had internalized the role) and very large men and ex prisoners who played the warden and prison consultant who intimidated both guards and prisoners to make a more realistic experience. The program show one prisoner who tried to get physical and regretted it. Prisoners were separated and the guards had batons and other instruments they used. Bravado aside, you might have thought twice.

BTW, there is a Cal angle to this. Zimbardo shut down the experiment after his colleague and future wife went ape (see the program). She is a Cal professor.
concordtom
Wow, this is interesting.

Suggests Milgram was not as spot on as he could have been.

People were obedient to authority not because they were weak-minded or "agentic", but because they believed in the cause and worked hard at adhering to the task at hand.
So, I'm thinking that this is similar to the art of persuasion/PREsuasion books on my shelf.
Worth watching if into this issue...

concordtom
Does this level,of digression qualify as thread hijacking? Sorry...

https://yalebooks.yale.edu/book/9780300220223/copycats-and-contrarians

A multidisciplinary exploration of our human inclination to herd and why our instinct to copy others can be dangerous in today's interlinked world

Rioting teenagers, tumbling stock markets, and the spread of religious terrorism appear to have little in common, but all are driven by the same basic instincts: the tendency to herd, follow, and imitate others. In today's interconnected world, group choices all too often seem maladaptive. With unprecedented speed, information flashes across the globe and drives rapid shifts in group opinion. Adverse results can include speculative economic bubbles, irrational denigration of scientists and other experts, seismic political reversals, and more.

Drawing on insights from across the social, behavioral, and natural sciences, Michelle Baddeley explores contexts in which behavior is driven by the herd. She analyzes the rational vs. nonrational and cognitive vs. emotional forces involved, and she investigates why herding only sometimes works out well. With new perspectives on followers, leaders, and the pros and cons of herd behavior, Baddeley shines vivid light on human behavior in the context of our ever-more-connected world.

Michelle Baddeley is a research professor at the Institute for Choice, University of South Australia. This will be her fifth book.
golden sloth
bearister said:

Just as a note:

Quote:

The Stanford Prison Experiment has been included in many, many introductory psychology textbooks and is often cited uncritically. It's the subject of movies, documentaries, books, television shows, and congressional testimony.

But its findings were wrong. Very wrong. And not just due to its questionable ethics or lack of concrete data but because of deceit.

A new expos published by Medium based on previously unpublished recordings of Philip Zimbardo, the Stanford psychologist who ran the study, and interviews with his participants, offers convincing evidence that the guards in the experiment were coached to be cruel. It also shows that the experiment's most memorable moment of a prisoner descending into a screaming fit, proclaiming, "I'm burning up inside!" was the result of the prisoner acting. "I took it as a kind of an improv exercise," one of the guards told reporter Ben Blum. "I believed that I was doing what the researchers wanted me to do."
https://www.vox.com/2018/6/13/17449118/stanford-prison-experiment-fraud-psychology-replication
concordtom
Hmmm.
Like the video above, all is questioned.
wifeisafurd
golden sloth said:

bearister said:

Just as a note:

Quote:

The Stanford Prison Experiment has been included in many, many introductory psychology textbooks and is often cited uncritically. It's the subject of movies, documentaries, books, television shows, and congressional testimony.

But its findings were wrong. Very wrong. And not just due to its questionable ethics or lack of concrete data but because of deceit.

A new expos published by Medium based on previously unpublished recordings of Philip Zimbardo, the Stanford psychologist who ran the study, and interviews with his participants, offers convincing evidence that the guards in the experiment were coached to be cruel. It also shows that the experiment's most memorable moment of a prisoner descending into a screaming fit, proclaiming, "I'm burning up inside!" was the result of the prisoner acting. "I took it as a kind of an improv exercise," one of the guards told reporter Ben Blum. "I believed that I was doing what the researchers wanted me to do."
https://www.vox.com/2018/6/13/17449118/stanford-prison-experiment-fraud-psychology-replication

Zimbardo never hid that he had ex-prisoners trying to make the experience more authentic. Was that coaching? Yes, but it probably made the "experiment" more realistic. Vox makes it sound like something everyone knew is now shocking news.
bearister
wifeisafurd said:

bearister said:

wifeisafurd said:

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2018/aug/19/idris-elba-my-ambition-is-boundless-yardie?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
wifeisafurd
bearister said:

wifeisafurd said:

bearister said:

wifeisafurd said:

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2018/aug/19/idris-elba-my-ambition-is-boundless-yardie?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
thanks Bearster. He would make an amazing Bond even at his "advancing" age.
bearister
I watched his pro kickboxing match on YouTube. The guy is a true Renaissance man. Warning: looking for his video will lead to watching Russian martial artists fighting in sand pits in the back of junk yards.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.