Pondering race in politics vis-a-vis Trump movement

4,077 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by wifeisafurd
concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
II've been thinking a lot about this stuff lately and can't figure it out.
Why do people support Trump?
Is it the idea that he will make them rich and nothing else matters?
Is it the idea that he speaks his mind?
Is it the idea that he represents a non-traditional politician?
Does it have to do with fear?
Fear of foreigners?
Fear of non-whites, people different than us?
concordtom
I'm going to present a series of graphics to support my thesis that the Trump movement is all about the last grasp of whites in America.

As we can see, the country is moving to a white minority by 2045.

concordtom
Old whites are dying off. Replaced by younger nonwhites in the populace.

concordtom
Here was the congress in 2008 when Obama won:

And here it was in 2016 when trump won:

Why the big flip?
Obama presided over good times.
We were saved from the mortgage meltdown crisis.
The stock market was a bull.
Low interest rates.
Low unemployment.
Bin laden dead.
No white houses crises.
Calm, smooth, likeable guy.

concordtom
Fox News, Rush Limbaugh, Donald trump had 8 years to seed feelings of mistrust in the electorate...

concordtom

I voted for Obama twice. Here's a story which influenced me why.

In the late 80s, I moved to Washington DC. I worked in a sporting good store with a number of black guys. I found that their attitudes were somewhat different than the black guys I knew from California. One day, one guy was complaining about being black in our current society and so I asked him, "come on man, it can't be that bad!" He went on to tell me how I was wrong, and he told me about his grandparents and their upbringing. I realized that they grew up long before Martin Luther king and the civil rights movement. Segregated buses and drinking fountains were the norm. We didn't have those things in California.

I realized that this guy had a huge monkey on his shoulder which continued to tell him he couldn't do or be something. I worked at the senate briefly, and I noticed that the old ways were still very much alive. Black men held service jobs for white legislators like barbers, bell hops, restaurant wait staff. It was all very interesting to me to see the races organizing themselves as if we were 100 years in the past.

So, Obama comes along and speaks differently about it all, and I felt that electing a black man might remove this monkey off the shoulder of every black person in this country. And for that reason alone, I felt it would be worth it, even if I disagreed with some policies here and there. Ease the burden. We you can. Act as a break from the past to the future. He would be a living testimony that showed it was over.

concordtom
But, perhaps the nation wasn't ready for that, and thus the backlash.

See all these places where whites are the majority? It's most of the nation, and maybe those racist attacks at Obama spoke to certain people, certain white people. Barack was born in Kenya. He is Muslim. Jihad Hussein Obama. It's all fear based. Never mind that he's half white from Kansas, that he's Christian. That his black Muslim Kenyan father was not really even part of his life.

In most of the country, maybe they were okay with Obama initially, but eventually, the fear mongering by Trump et al wore them down. Appealed to their base instincts rather than their initial logic.
concordtom
So, whatever the reasons, where are we headed?

Clearly, above in the charts, you can see that whites are headed for less and less relevance and power. We'd better get used to it! And I think it really matters that we do not try and hold onto to power thru the divisive tactics of hate and fear speech Trump is currently employing. Otherwise payback will be a *****.

concordtom
This fear of outsiders movement wasn't born yesterday. I've been hearing about Mexicans coming into California for as long as I can remember watching the news. But it is now, with Trump, ratcheting up, and my fear is that it will continue to grow as jobs go overseas to cheaper labor markets and as the country becomes greyer.
Yogi58
concordtom said:

Fear of foreigners?

That one, unless they are one of the rich elite who benefit from the tax cut. Then it's just straight up money over values.
bearister
concordtom said:

Fear of foreigners?

Are these numerous posts the result of Sybil multiple personalities?

"We're seeing at this moment a president of the United States do five things. He is using mass rallies that are fueled by constant lying to incite fervor and devotion in his political base. The second thing we see him do is to affix blame for every problem in the world. Many of them are complex, not so different from the issues faced at the end of Agrarian age and the beginning of the Industrial Revolution. We see him attack minority populations with words like "invade" and "infest." The third thing he does is a create a shared sense of victimization caused by the scapegoated populations. This is the high act of Trumpism: From Trump to Sean Hannity to Laura Ingraham, everyone is a victim. The fourth thing he does is he alleges conspiracy by nefarious and unseen hidden forces the "deep state." And the fifth thing is the assertion that "I am the law, that I am above it." He just said immigrants don't get a hearing; they don't get a court representation." Steve Schmidt

"If the party of Lincoln and Eisenhower and Teddy Roosevelt and Reagan is to be redeemed and resurrected, then the party of Trump must be obliterated. Annihilated. Destroyed. And all of the collaborators, the complicit enablers, the school of cowards, need to go down. Maybe something can regenerate from that." Steve Schmidt
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
wifeisafurd
concordtom said:

Here was the congress in 2008 when Obama won:

And here it was in 2016 when trump won:

Why the big flip?
Obama presided over good times.
We were saved from the mortgage meltdown crisis.
The stock market was a bull.
Low interest rates.
Low unemployment.
Bin laden dead.
No white houses crises.
Calm, smooth, likeable guy.

You know there is no incentive for anyone on this site to have a legitimate discussion on this issue. I can tell you why I know many minorities that will never vote for a Democrat, but I will get the usual BS back. Not interested.
concordtom
That is merely an expression of your cynicism. Not even trying is not helpful.

Or, perhaps it's a precursor. Like, saying, "I'll add something here, but don't rip on me for what I say."

Okay, I'll listen.
concordtom
Bearister,
You don't see the narrative running from one post to the other?
Either that's cause I didn't go to Cal and cannot construct a cogent argument, you have lost your marbles up in smoke, or are simply a poor comedian.

Multiple posts because the screen often reloads and I lose what I've typed, so I have to save by posting often. On an iPad, not sure why that frequent reloading happens.
concordtom
"...the party of Trump must be obliterated. Annihilated. Destroyed. And all of the collaborators, the complicit enablers, the school of cowards, need to go down. Maybe something can regenerate from that." Steve Schmidt

I totally agree!!!

Maybe we should call it the party of a Newt Gingrich, though, no? Didn't he start all this divisiveness? Made a course decision to not allow Clinton any wins. Obstructionism.

I suppose Trump has taken obstructionism to a new level: social war.

When Dems protest that notion/reality, he calls them Un-American and violent.
Lies.
wifeisafurd
concordtom said:

That is merely an expression of your cynicism. Not even trying is not helpful.

Or, perhaps it's a precursor. Like, saying, "I'll add something here, but don't rip on me for what I say."

Okay, I'll listen.
First, the Obama years were not a rosy as you said, but if he had run against Trump he would have been elected. Without getting into all the research on why Trump won the electoral college, appreciate that a lot of very liberal Dems didn't vote and a lot of people voted against Clinton, as opposed to for Trump.

But minorities I know who vote GOP tend to fit into several categories:

1) Small business owners who believe the Dems, especially in this state, overtax, over-regulate, favor criminal rights, make decisions that move capital away from small business in California, increase insurance costs, and are an anathema to small business in general. A disproportionate number of small business owners are minorities, especially Hispanics and Asians in SoCal.

2) Asians, who tend to be more socially conservative and business oriented.

3) In our area, surprisingly, rich gay couples, who just can't get over the Dems anti-business stances.

4) Blacks who have a problem with the Dems immigration positions.

5) High income minorities that hate the Dems spend and tax approaches.

6) Jews who view the Dems anti-israel.

7) Gun owners.

Now some of these minorities can get over there philosophical differences when the Democrat is their minority. For example, I know several conservative black couples that voted for Trump, but also voted for Obama, or Jews who vote for Feinstein constantly.

Edit: this is my antidotal experience and not scientific. It also reflects someone who lives with people in SoCal and Park City. People elsewhere may dislike the Dems for their social policies, that really happens quite less where I live and who I know.
bearister
concordtom said:

Bearister,
You don't see the narrative running from one post to the other?
Either that's cause I didn't go to Cal and cannot construct a cogent argument, you have lost your marbles up in smoke, or are simply a poor comedian.

Multiple posts because the screen often reloads and I lose what I've typed, so I have to save by posting often. On an iPad, not sure why that frequent reloading happens.

1. I was just goofin' on you;
2. I never had any marbles to lose;
3. We are in the same tribe!
Another Bear
From 538, nice easy graphics to digest: What If Only Men Voted? Only Women? Only Nonwhite Voters?

Sure explains a lot.
wifeisafurd
Another Bear said:

From 538, nice easy graphics to digest: What If Only Men Voted? Only Women? Only Nonwhite Voters?

Sure explains a lot.

Real interesting stuff.
concordtom
Great slides. Thank you.
My response?
"Just wait!"

Your slides are exactly my point.
As whites die off, the country turns more blue.
The Red whites know this, and so are going out with a bang.
It's all wrong, but let's hope it doesn't get worse.
going4roses
Nice work Tom

This is what it's all about.

The white nationalist/kkk/ nazi angle is what he represents.

This is why HC did not have a chance in hell to win especially following 8 yrs of Obama
Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
BearsWiin
concordtom said:

This fear of outsiders movement wasn't born yesterday. I've been hearing about Mexicans coming into California for as long as I can remember watching the news. But it is now, with Trump, ratcheting up, and my fear is that it will continue to grow as jobs go overseas to cheaper labor markets and as the country becomes greyer.
It's been going on for much longer. America has always had an uneasy relationship with immigrants. In the 1840's the English descendants were worried about the Irish (poor Caholics!) influx; a few decades later the British descendants were worried about the German/Scandinavian (they don't speak our language!) influx; a few decades after that the Northern European descendants were worried about the Italian (swarthy Mediterraneans!) and Jewish (Semitics!) influx. And European descendants were worried about the Asians (Chinese/Japanese earlier in the last century, Koreans/Vietnamese/Cambodians/Laotians later on) and most recently the Mexicans/Central Americans.

Everybody assimilates (and adds a little spice to the mix), but it takes at least two generations. The immigrating generation knows how bad things were elsewhere (think of how bad things have to get to make you leave an ancestral home), and they appreciate the New World while maintaining much of the Old World customs. Their kids are the ones left in no-man's land, caught between old culture at home and American culture in public, a culture that may not accept them. It's generally the third generation that truly "feels" American. And many in the Mexican/Central American immigration process aren't in that end-stage third generation point yet. They'll get there.
wifeisafurd
concordtom said:

Great slides. Thank you.
My response?
"Just wait!"

Your slides are exactly my point.
As whites die off, the country turns more blue.
The Red whites know this, and so are going out with a bang.
It's all wrong, but let's hope it doesn't get worse.
The problem is the immigrants assimilate and don't necessarily view themselves as minorities. My mother's relatives no longer refer to themselves as Italian-Americans for example. We just put a guy with Irish roots on the Supreme Court as a conservative for example. Its always the last guys to get here that face the wrath of those here and find the Dems more receptive. But one should not assume in a generation or two, successful hispanics are going to like their wealth redistributed by the Dems. The GOP is full of Catholics (German, Italian, Irish) and many Jews who used to be the new disruptive forces in the country, and are now the estabilishment.
wifeisafurd
BearsWiin said:

concordtom said:

It's been going on for much longer. America has always had an uneasy relationship with immigrants. In the 1840's the English descendants were worried about the Irish (poor Caholics!) influx; a few decades later the British descendants were worried about the German/Scandinavian (they don't speak our language!) influx; a few decades after that the Northern European descendants were worried about the Italian (swarthy Mediterraneans!) and Jewish (Semitics!) influx. And European descendants were worried about the Asians (Chinese/Japanese earlier in the last century, Koreans/Vietnamese/Cambodians/Laotians later on) and most recently the Mexicans/Central Americans.

Everybody assimilates (and adds a little spice to the mix), but it takes at least two generations. The immigrating generation knows how bad things were elsewhere (think of how bad things have to get to make you leave an ancestral home), and they appreciate the New World while maintaining much of the Old World customs. Their kids are the ones left in no-man's land, caught between old culture at home and American culture in public, a culture that may not accept them. It's generally the third generation that truly "feels" American. And many in the Mexican/Central American immigration process aren't in that end-stage third generation point yet. They'll get there.
This is a great post.
concordtom
going4roses said:

Nice work Tom

This is what it's all about.

The white nationalist/kkk/ nazi angle is what he represents.

This is why HC did not have a chance in hell to win especially following 8 yrs of Obama
Yeah, listen to Max Boot, 10 minutes in. I guess my theory is not far off, is shared by many others.

Unit2Sucks
wifeisafurd said:

1) Small business owners who believe the Dems, especially in this state, overtax, over-regulate, favor criminal rights, make decisions that move capital away from small business in California, increase insurance costs, and are an anathema to small business in general. A disproportionate number of small business owners are minorities, especially Hispanics and Asians in SoCal.

3) In our area, surprisingly, rich gay couples, who just can't get over the Dems anti-business stances.

Curious as to whether the categories of economic motivated voters still feel the same way about republicans after they drafted a tax bill expressly intended to hurt blue states like California. I'm sure all the rich red staters are swimming in cash after the tax cut, but we both know it didn't work out that way for high income earners in California. Do you think that's changed anyone's opinion?
bearister
"Business investment is laggardly. Rather than using their $1.2 trillion tax cut on capital spending, companies are on track for the biggest-ever year of stock buybacks, possibly reaching $1 trillion." Axios
Unit2Sucks
bearister said:

"Business investment is laggardly. Rather than using their $1.2 trillion tax cut on capital spending, companies are on track for the biggest-ever year of stock buybacks, possibly reaching $1 trillion." Axios
Fake news. WIAF has assured us repeatedly that all of the buybacks have been in the works for a long time and that the corporate tax cut has had no impact.

I only partially jest as WIAF did acknowledge the last time I brought up buybacks that a number of them had been announced following the tax cuts. However, I believe he has yet to acknowledge that everyone who predicted the bulk of the tax cut would be quickly returned to stockholders was correct and that the story peddled by the GOP that this would spur investment where the billions on corporate balance sheets had not was a fantasy.
sycasey
Unit2Sucks said:

wifeisafurd said:

Curious as to whether the categories of economic motivated voters still feel the same way about republicans after they drafted a tax bill expressly intended to hurt blue states like California. I'm sure all the rich red staters are swimming in cash after the tax cut, but we both know it didn't work out that way for high income earners in California. Do you think that's changed anyone's opinion?
I will say that most of the Republican House reps in districts like WIAF's are currently trailing Democrats in polling (by a little, not by a lot, but still that's saying something in districts that have voted R forever). Of course the proof will be in the pudding on election day.
Anarchistbear
This election is all about Trump. You either cone out to vote for him or against him. More than 120 million of us won't bother.
Another Bear
Educated female voters (many white) in OC who voted GOP in the past are fleeing the GOP. Putin's favorite congressman Rohrabacher might just lose. If he doesn't, there's always the Mueller investigation that will kill his career. It seems he's been in the Russkies' pocket for a while, might be some NRA mumbo jumbo (treason, aiding a foreign enemy, that sort of stuff).

The key word here is educated. Never thought I'd see the day OC flips but reasonable, educated people know what's going on. My mom still lives in the CA 48th, Reagan Country and home of John Wayne. Frankly I thought they would never flip but then I thought we'd never see legalized recreational dope either.
bearister
Anarchistbear said:

..... More than 120 million of us won't bother.

Bernie's crybabies put Mushroom Dick in office. A Progressive Dem will put him in for a 2nd term.
Anarchistbear
bearister said:

Anarchistbear said:

Bernie's crybabies put Mushroom Dick in office. A Progressive Dem will put him in for a 2nd term.

Please, the Democrats nominated Hillary Clinton. They put him in office.
Another Bear
bearister said:

Anarchistbear said:

Disagree. Bernie's people didn't put the Orange Nationalist in office...the RUSSKIES did. They stole email that Hillary wasn't going to set up a campaign in key rust belt states. The GOP got the info and the next day redirected resources to those states.
bearister
Another Bear said:

bearister said:

Anarchistbear said:

Disagree. Bernie's people didn't put the Orange Nationalist in office...the RUSSKIES did. They stole email that Hillary wasn't going to set up a campaign in key rust belt states. The GOP got the info and the next day redirected resources to those states.

I can live with your argument the Russians tipped it, but Hillary also got Ralph Nadered, Ross Peroted, Bernied and Jill Steined.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.