Election Night Thread

38,111 Views | 332 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by golden sloth
Another Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Can't wait until AOC gets into congress.
concordtom
Another Bear said:

Can't wait until AOC gets into congress.
Lol, that is a fricking hilarious tweet she made.
Thank you for sharing it!

....honestly, I would not be surprised if some people like her end up dead as the Trump ship goes down.
They are a sad and sorry bunch.
concordtom
sycasey said:

If they are forced to re-run the NC election I'd like the Dems' chances at 41, especially if it's still Harris on the ballot.
Absolutely!!
sycasey
New election coming up in NC.

dajo9
Just learned that my district had the largest swing from R to D in the country
American Vermin
B.A. Bearacus
dajo9 said:

Just learned that my district had the largest swing from R to D in the country
Off Topic is your district?
B.A. Bearacus
Mark Harris just moments ago: he states that a new election in NC is warranted. Needs to be confirmed by the board and would require one Repub to sign on.

Update: now official:
concordtom
Who ended up getting seated as the winner? Who is filling the role right now?
sycasey
concordtom said:

Who ended up getting seated as the winner? Who is filling the role right now?
The seat is vacant (this has happened before), pending the results of the new election.
concordtom
And the Republican is the one who is appearing guilty?
I guess that should be another Dem seat.
sycasey
concordtom said:

I would favor the Dems here (given how close the original fraudulent election was), but it's worth noting that they're also going to re-do the primary, so there will likely be a new Republican candidate.
concordtom
sycasey said:

concordtom said:

I would favor the Dems here (given how close the original fraudulent election was), but it's worth noting that they're also going to re-do the primary, so there will likely be a new Republican candidate.
Oh, geez.
I missed that.
Actually, I heard it said, but missed the meaning.
So, "Republicans" can feel good about themselves and win win win.
I have less respect for the party every day.
sycasey
concordtom said:

sycasey said:

concordtom said:

Oh, geez.
I missed that.
Actually, I heard it said, but missed the meaning.
So, "Republicans" can feel good about themselves and win win win.
I have less respect for the party every day.
On some level, I think this is fair though -- there is evidence that similar fraud occurred in the primary election, also in favor of Harris.
concordtom
Wow.
What did he even do?
sycasey
concordtom said:

Wow.
What did he even do?
Looks like he contracted with a guy to work on his campaign, who was known for sending out representatives to fraudulently collect ballots from voters, after which they were presumably tossed out or altered. Similarly fishy results showed up in the same county in both the primary and general election, with Harris getting a disproportionately high % of the absentee ballots in his favor.

The latest twist was that Harris' own son provided emails warning his father against hiring the fraudster, saying that he thought the guy's plans were probably illegal, and then Harris hired the guy anyway. Seems pretty unlikely that Harris didn't know what was going on here.
concordtom
bearister said:

Mattis leads military coup to depose tRump.

Please?
concordtom
sycasey said:

concordtom said:

Wow.
What did he even do?
Looks like he contracted with a guy to work on his campaign, who was known for sending out representatives to fraudulently collect ballots from voters, after which they were presumably tossed out or altered. Similarly fishy results showed up in the same county in both the primary and general election, with Harris getting a disproportionately high % of the absentee ballots in his favor.

The latest twist was that Harris' own son provided emails warning his father against hiring the fraudster, saying that he thought the guy's plans were probably illegal, and then Harris hired the guy anyway. Seems pretty unlikely that Harris didn't know what was going on here.
Oh, okay, I heard someone talking about this a while back. Thank you for putting it in context.
So, I saw the kid on the stand. A young adult. What kind of cojones does he have to testify against his parents like that. I wonder if he was compelled to do so, as they somehow got his emails.
Tough situation, but honesty rules.
bearister
Maybe his dad cuffed him around as a kid like tRump did to tRump Lite. Watch for tRump Lite to squeal on papa if he gets his ample moobs in a wringer in the SDNY where a pardon may not be possible.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
golden sloth
And the Official Census Data for the 2018 Election Came Out Today:

Quote:

The November 2018 election is widely recognized for its high voter turnout. Census Bureau data released today show who is behind the historic 11 percentage point increase from the last midterm election in 2014.

Voter turnout went up among all voting age and major racial and ethnic groups. Fifty-three percent of the citizen voting-age population voted in 2018, the highest midterm turnout in four decades, while the 2014 election had the lowest.

Quote:

Who is Behind the Historic Increase?

Voter turnout went up more in some groups than others from 2014 to 2018:
  • Among 18- to 29-year-olds, voter turnout went from 20 percent in 2014 to 36 percent in 2018, the largest percentage point increase for any age group a 79 percent jump.
  • Among men and women, voter turnout increased by 11 and 12 percentage points respectively.
  • Voter turnout increased among non-Hispanic Asians by 13 percentage points, a 49 percent increase.
  • Among Hispanics, voter turnout increased by 13 percentage points, a 50 percent increase in Hispanic voter turnout.
  • Non-Hispanic black voter turnout increased by 11 percentage points.
  • Those with higher levels of education had higher levels of voter turnout in 2018. Those with less than a high school education had the smallest increase in voter turnout (5 percentage points). Those with a high school diploma or equivalent had the second-lowest increase (8 percentage points).
  • Voting by native-born and naturalized citizens both increased by 12 percentage points. This increase is not significantly different between native-born and naturalized citizens.
  • Unlike the 2014 midterm election, voter turnout among those living in nonmetropolitan areas (up 8 points) was lower than for those living in metropolitan areas (up 12 points).

https://www.census.gov/library/stories/2019/04/behind-2018-united-states-midterm-election-turnout.html

Pretty much all demographics voted more, the number of younger voters drastically increased while the number of urban voters outpaced the rural voters (indicating an enthusiasm gap).

A couple of my own thoughts:

1. Voter turnout was still pathetic and we should be ashamed of ourselves as a country for being so indifferent. Anything short of 80% is disappointing.

2. The report outlined the percentage increases for rural and metropolitan areas, but I don't know if the percentage accurately reflects the change in number of voters, as only 20% of America lives in rural areas. Simplifying it, if you have a 1,000 people, there would be 800 urban voters and 200 rural voters, so a 12% increase of 800 is 96 whereas 8% of 200 is 16. That seems pretty significant.

3. I also wonder how much this increased voter turnout is localized (hence relevant). If San Francisco increases their voter turnout of minority college educated young people by 500% (I made that number up) it doesn't really change anything nationally, but if a swing district in Orange County increases a key voter demographic turnout by 10%, it could sway an election.

4. I wonder if election and news fatigue sets in, reducing the enthusiasm advantage by 2020. I speculate the initial enthusiasm may lag, but everyone rallies to set a record high for voter turnout in my lifetime.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.