Kamala Harris (not necessarily OT)

15,863 Views | 136 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Another Bear
ducky23
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So are we allowed to claim Kamala Harris as our own (or at least as an honorary member)?

Both of her parents met at Cal, both earning their PhD degrees at Berkeley. While her dad went on to teach at Stanford, her mom worked at both Berkeley's Zoology Department and at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab.

While I've never been a huge fan, she's starting to grow on me (especially after her campaign launch speech).

And if she teamed up with the furdy from Jersey, that would be a very formidable ticket.

No matter how much I hate furd, I think it would be pretty cool to have the white house run by two people with heavy furd and Cal ties.

Unit2Sucks
Inb4 okaydo lists every former president who ate a hotdog in Berkeley.
bear2034
Mixed bag comments section:

Kamala Harris pulls out of Berkeley commencement speech in support of employee strike
Jackieridgle
ducky23 said:

So are we allowed to claim Kamala Harris as our own (or at least as an honorary member)?

Both of her parents met at Cal, both earning their PhD degrees at Berkeley. While her dad went on to teach at Stanford, her mom worked at both Berkeley's Zoology Department and at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab.

While I've never been a huge fan, she's starting to grow on me (especially after her campaign launch speech).

And if she teamed up with the furdy from Jersey, that would be a very formidable ticket.

No matter how much I hate furd, I think it would be pretty cool to have the white house run by two people with heavy furd and Cal ties.

No, we can't claim her and it's "Cal," btw
NVBear78
Why would we want to claim her again, sanctuary city/Kate Steinle. https://www.google.com/amp/s/blog.sfgate.com/politics/2015/07/10/kamala-harris-speaks-out-on-steinle-sanctuary-sheriff-and-trump/amp/
01Bear
oskirules said:

Mixed bag comments section:

Kamala Harris pulls out of Berkeley commencement speech in support of employee strike

Why would supporting a worker's strike for better wages be considered a mixed bag?
01Bear
NVBear78 said:

Why would we want to claim her again, sanctuary city/Kate Steinle. https://www.google.com/amp/s/blog.sfgate.com/politics/2015/07/10/kamala-harris-speaks-out-on-steinle-sanctuary-sheriff-and-trump/amp/

Maybe you don't think immigrants are entitled to the protection of the law, including law enforcement? If you did, you would realize that most (many? all?) intelligent law enforcement leaders agree that when local police serve as an arm of ICE, it serves as a chilling effect on immigrant communities, such that they report crimes less frequently. Consequently, crime rates (including violent crimes) increase, which only serves to enrich and embolden criminals. This in turn leads to criminals expanding their reach beyond immigrant communities.
ducky23
NVBear78 said:

I understand that you may disagree with her stance on immigration enforcement, but you do understand that more cal grads/students would agree with her position than trumps', right?

Whether you like it or not, cal is not necessarily right leaning.
Goobear
ducky23 said:

NVBear78 said:

I understand that you may disagree with her stance on immigration enforcement, but you do understand that more cal grads/students would agree with her position than trumps', right?

Which university is right leaning?
ducky23
Goobear said:

ducky23 said:

NVBear78 said:

Ok fine. Cal is more left leaning than most universities. We can at least all agree to that statement, right?
BearSD
Goobear said:

ducky23 said:

NVBear78 said:

Just for starters: Dartmouth, George Mason, Wichita State, Texas A&M.

For that matter, I'd bet the alums of nearly all universities in the confederate states are, as a group, farther to the right than this message board.

bearister
NVBear78 said:

I think you should be way more hot and bothered about this issue than the the immigration status of the man who caused that firearm to discharge:

http://extras.mercurynews.com/policeguns/
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Yogi58
Goobear said:

ducky23 said:

NVBear78 said:

BYU, Oral Roberts, SMU, Bob Jones University
concordtom
ducky23 said:

She's steeped in Cal culture, just like me. Of course you can claim her.
The party would want to combine two people who attract as many people from differing social groups as possible.
West - Midwest - South - East
White - Black - Latino - other
Male - Female

To combine two blacks with two West Coast roots of Cal/Stanford is not enough potpourri. Labeled and assailed by the right as SF Libtards the same as that evil SF-based Nancy Pelosi. Middle America would continue to run toward Trump, because as evil as he is, at least he's deemed as one of them.

The Democratic Party needs to get the right demographic mix on the ticket, per gender, race, and geographic diversity.

You know, come to think of it, that statement everyone makes about: "we do not discriminate in our hiring process by race, gender, or sexual orientation" is total bullshtt.
concordtom
Who is a Midwest democrat that can peel off the middle America vote?
The two coasts are already sold on the Anti Trump vote. It's the middle and the south we need to get. Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Florida

And we cannot afford some third party splinter to throw the election into the House, where republicans have an overwealming lead in state delegations (each state gets 1).
concordtom
To answer question of thread, I don't know Kamala worth beans. She's got an uphill battle!
dajo9
concordtom said:

The two coasts are already sold on the Anti Trump vote. It's the middle and the south we need to get. Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Florida

And we cannot afford some third party splinter to throw the election into the House, where republicans have an overwealming lead in state delegations (each state gets 1).

This is what makes Sherrod Brown a formidable VP candidate, imo
ducky23
concordtom said:

ducky23 said:

She's steeped in Cal culture, just like me. Of course you can claim her.
The party would want to combine two people who attract as many people from differing social groups as possible.
West - Midwest - South - East
White - Black - Latino - other
Male - Female

To combine two blacks with two West Coast roots of Cal/Stanford is not enough potpourri. Labeled and assailed by the right as SF Libtards the same as that evil SF-based Nancy Pelosi. Middle America would continue to run toward Trump, because as evil as he is, at least he's deemed as one of them.

The Democratic Party needs to get the right demographic mix on the ticket, per gender, race, and geographic diversity.

You know, come to think of it, that statement everyone makes about: "we do not discriminate in our hiring process by race, gender, or sexual orientation" is total bullshtt.
Let me say that I think Harris is going to win the nomination (polls show Harris as the frontrunner of the candidates who have announced - though its obviously very very early and Biden/Bernie have yet to announce. Even if they do run, I think America wants change and not old guys who have already had their chance)

The biggest reason I think Harris is the one is because of how the primary schedule is laid out. She will be weak in NH/Iowa, but should be very competitive in S. Carolina/Nevada. If she can get a respectable 3rd/4th in Iowa and then come in 1st/2nd in Nev/S.Car, then Super Tuesday sets up extremely well for her (California/North Carolina). And if she happens to win big in California, she could potentially take all the CA delegates, since a very crowded field could mean she may be the only one to get the required 15% to take delegates (though O'rourke, Bernie, Biden could all be strong in CA as well, but that's assuming any of them run).

Strengths: She could stitch back together the Obama coalition. She's also a woman, a black woman (which is the core democratic voting bloc) and she's mixed-race. So she's going to be competitive on the coasts and in the south. She's also smart, a dynamic speaker, a former prosecutor and attorney general and she may be able to unite the party (very progressive on social issues, moderate on economic issues).

Weakness: Probably going to struggle with white working class votes and she will also be attacked from the Left for her prosecuting past history

Potential running mates

Booker: I understand strategically its not that best match, since you are pairing two african american coastal elites, but, to me, he's the brightest and most dynamic of the other candidates. And I really think it insures bringing back the Obama coalition

Biden: don't think he wants to be anyone's running mate again, and I also don't think he pairs well with Harris, but he is from Penn and he's gonna get you the white working class vote

Brown: kind of a midwestern, younger Bernie that gets you Ohio. May not be a bad fit with Harris, if he can get her the Bernie vote, but I just don't know if they'd get along. Brown though could be an ideal VP candidate for others in the field.

Klobuchar: Minnesota is a key state, and she'd be popular with the working midwest. However, I think she's a bit low wattage for a running mate, and I'm not sure America is ready to vote for two women atop the ticket. She's also not a great pairing with Harris since she's a moderate as well.

O'rourke: Ok, if you're thinking in purely strategic terms, this is the ideal running mate for both Harris and pretty much everyone else (though I have doubts whether he has the experience). Very charismatic, will be great on the campaign trail. He's going to raise a huge amount of money and he's also from Texas (you win CA and Texas, you are almost unbeatable). But the big thing (especially for Harris) is that he's going to get the Bernie voters out to vote (something that didn't happen for Clinton). A Harris/O'Rourke ticket could win the coasts, Texas and key southern states (FLA, Georgia, NC/SC), that would be more than enough to win even without the midwest.
dajo9
I hope someday Presidential politics involves actually looking at policies
Unit2Sucks
I think it's way too early to pick a winner. The biggest concern is that the democrats do something stupid like split the vote. As long as one person captures the never Trump again vote, that person will win in a massive landslide. The likes of which few have ever seen. Ever seen. Maybe it will or maybe it won't. We may never know.
sycasey
dajo9 said:

concordtom said:

This is what makes Sherrod Brown a formidable VP candidate, imo
Either him or Beto (though who knows what Beto wants to do these days).
Another Bear
Policy-wise I agree with Harris mostly and she is very, very sharp and smart. Listening to her grill people on the Senate Judiciary Committee instills confidence. Can't tell if she has momentum or can gain it. What I don't like is her link to machine politics but who can go it alone. My fear is she's is going to experience the Obama treatment by the GOP and it will get nasty once again. The Willie Brown connection will be mined to hell. The one thing that will help is a wounded (self inflicted) GOP and a crushed base recovering.

Still too early to tell but Harris is in the race. I think Klobucher and Beto are too. I think it's past Biden and Hillarhy's time.
Peanut Gallery Consultant
dajo9
I like Kamala Harris as a person. What concerns me about her policy choices are her $2.8 trillion tax cuts and credits for lower wage earners and renters. It's not that I'm definitely opposed to this - I'm just more incremental. I think we should expand health care to everybody and balance the budget and see how that goes. Then we should consider things like this (except the Federal government should stay out of the rent business, which would just have the affect of raising rents). Rolling back the Trump tax cuts to pay for low wage tax credits is not fiscally responsible because it still leaves us with unmanageable debt.

Elizabeth Warren's plan to tax wealth would have the affect of pushing wealth overseas. I don't see why she doesn't just propose raising capital gains and dividend taxes (tax at the point of income gain rather than a stock of assets that can be moved around).

AOC isn't a candidate for President but I think her 70% marginal tax rate is too high. Do we want entertainers to stop entertaining for the last 5 months of the year because they don't get to keep any more of the money? Even the hippie Beatles wrote a song complaining about the 95% tax rate in Britain. I support higher marginal rates than we have now, but at the highest end (many millions of dollars) we shouldn't get much above 50% counting both federal and state taxes.

I'm still waiting to hear the fiscal plan I like most among the Democrats. That said, I'll vote for any of them against Trump.
sycasey
Another Bear said:

My fear is she's is going to experience the Obama treatment by the GOP and it will get nasty once again.
I guarantee this will happen no matter who the Democrats nominate.
Another Bear
sycasey said:

Another Bear said:

My fear is she's is going to experience the Obama treatment by the GOP and it will get nasty once again.
True but the racism will come with an extra dose vitriol, hate and divisiveness...and misogyny.
okaydo
Another Bear said:

Policy-wise I agree with Harris mostly and she is very, very sharp and smart. Listening to her grill people on the Senate Judiciary Committee instills confidence. Can't tell if she has momentum or can gain it. What I don't like is her link to machine politics but who can go it alone. My fear is she's is going to experience the Obama treatment by the GOP and it will get nasty once again. The Willie Brown connection will be mined to hell. The one thing that will help is a wounded (self inflicted) GOP and a crushed base recovering.

Still too early to tell but Harris is in the race. I think Klobucher and Beto are too. I think it's past Biden and Hillarhy's time.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/chris-cuomo-kamala-harris-birther-conspiracy_us_5c4755b8e4b027c3bbc6057e

https://splinternews.com/just-some-normal-tweets-from-chris-cuomo-today-1831957798

ducky23
As for the Willie brown stuff, telling a woman who she can sleep with is the height of hypocrisy considering who is currently in the White House. But of course, that won't stop the republicans from doing it
ducky23
okaydo said:

Another Bear said:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/chris-cuomo-kamala-harris-birther-conspiracy_us_5c4755b8e4b027c3bbc6057e

https://splinternews.com/just-some-normal-tweets-from-chris-cuomo-today-1831957798

You know you've officially made it once they start with birther conspiracies about you
Cal Junkie
Bennett from Colorado might be the guy. He ripped Cruz a new one.
blungld
dajo9 said:

I wish there were no parties; campaigns for office are no more than 3 months; contributions may only be made by individuals and are limited to $100 per voter; election day is national holiday; and every candidate must complete a generic checklist that shows their clearly stated position (and actual voting record if running for re-election) on each major issue and that guide is in every voting booth for constituents to consider at time of casting their ballot.

"The Bear will not quilt, the Bear will not dye!"
Another Bear
okaydo said:

Another Bear said:

See that's exactly the problem...from a moderate Democrat type. Like Obama, she's in a no-win situation on racist BS and GOP slander. Why is it her responsibility to address nonsense? I think the lines are being parsed now with this sort of stuff.
concordtom
sycasey said:

Another Bear said:

Yeah, I think there is simply a huge percentage of the country that is more racists in their bones (perhaps xenophobic is a more accurate term?) than I'd have imagined.
concordtom
okaydo said:

Another Bear said:

I wish Cuomo (Chris) would run!
Dude is smart, forceful, experienced in issues, great communicator, and I have always felt he's honest and I follow his logic. Not a hider, ducker, con man. Those are all traits we need!!
concordtom
blungld said:

dajo9 said:

I wish there were no parties; campaigns for office are no more than 3 months; contributions may only be made by individuals and are limited to $100 per voter; election day is national holiday; and every candidate must complete a generic checklist that shows their clearly stated position (and actual voting record if running for re-election) on each major issue and that guide is in every voting booth for constituents to consider at time of casting their ballot.
Good ideas there, but we need to date for more than 3 months.

I'd also like candidates to answer a lengthy test that qualifies there knowledge on how government works.

I had to take a very very long test to get just my Series 7 brokerage license. Bearister, how long was your Bar exam?
Trump should have been forced to sit for something like this - we should install such as a qualifying hurdle.
concordtom
I like Amy Klobuchar.
I also liked the person I met in the recent 60 Minutes interview.

I'd like to get to know them both better.

Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY): Gillibrand has evolved over the years from a centrist Democrat in the House to a progressive who endorses Medicare-for-all and universal paid family leave; a pillar of her Senate career has been cracking down on sexual assault in the military. Gillibrand is presenting herself as a young mom in tune with the #metoo era and the Democratic women who powered the party to historic wins in the 2018 midterms.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.