New College Admissions Cheating Scandall in California

6,884 Views | 70 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Bobodeluxe
bearister
How long do you want to ignore this user?
That was by mistake, being aged and all it was undetectable by me in mobile phone format. I have always fought for Sybil Danning's virtue....which is more than she ever did.
dajo9
concordtom said:

Another Bear said:

Boy, he's one serious idiot.
Trump Jr. was educated at Buckley School and The Hill School, a college preparatory boarding school in Pottstown, Pennsylvania, followed by the University of Pennsylvania's Wharton School, where he graduated in 2000 with a B.S. in Economics.

Looks like a UPenn pipeline.
They are open for bidness.

Back door Ivy
American Vermin
concordtom
bearister said:

Oh, you'd like that, wouldn't you?

I wouldn't touch that scank with a 10 foot pool.
Dope is more like it.
Out of touch princess.

Ever seen the Johnson and Johnson kid's film "Born Rich"?
She's in there as a teen.
Duuuuuhhhhhhhh!!!!!
B.A. Bearacus
It was an innocent mistake.

Anyways, switching gears, is having an Aaron Rodgers Fathead on my ceiling tacky?

concordtom
bearister said:

Oh, you'd like that wouldn't you?

I wouldn't touch that dopey princess with a 10 foot pole.
Ever seen the Johnson and Johnson kid's film, "Born Rich"?
She's in there as a teen.
Duuuuuuhhhhhhhhhh!

EDIT: that was weird. The first post flashed in a reload, yet posted. Oh well.
bearister
concordtom
B.A. Bearacus said:

It was an innocent mistake.

Anyways, switching gears, is having an Aaron Rodgers Fathead on my ceiling tacky?

Yes, but only because he's who you will be subliminally thinking of the next time you imagine a nice set of boobs.

Aaron Rodgers falic symbol.... NO THANK YOU!
bearister

Jared Kushner Shows There's a Shady-Yet-Legal Way to Get Rich Kids Into College

https://www.google.com/amp/nymag.com/intelligencer/amp/2019/03/jared-kusher-college-admissions-story-shady-but-legal.html
bearister
concordtom
Jared's dad donated $2.5 to Harvard, and he got in.

Quote:

"There was no way anybody in the administrative office of the (high school) thought he would on the merits get into Harvard," a former official at The Frisch School in Paramus, New Jersey, told me. "His GPA did not warrant it, his SAT scores did not warrant it. We thought for sure, there was no way this was going to happen. Then, lo and behold, Jared was accepted. It was a little bit disappointing because there were at the time other kids we thought should really get in on the merits, and they did not."
Golden goes on to detail how he uncovered a scheme in which "the rich buy their under-achieving children's way into elite universities with massive, tax-deductible donations." He started with a list of the more than 400 members of Harvard's Committee on University Resources, a group of wealthy donors who were regularly treated like royalty in Cambridge. After poring over records to determine if the children of these donors had eventually gone to Harvard, Golden found that of "the 400-plus tycoons on Harvard's list which included people who were childless or too young to have college-age offspring more than half had sent at least one child to the university."

.....My step-father went to Princeton and Harvard law.
On Merit. From Denver. Father was a traveling salesman.
He won the Ames Debate Contest, later spoke 5-6 languages. Great guy. Great heart. Very smart. But flawed in some gentle ways like us all.
Thanks, dad.
bearister
Tom Mesereau graduated Harvard and the London School of Economics. I never figured out how he ended up at UC Tenderloin Law School with me. That must have been a train wreck of an LSAT score.
BearNIt
bearister said:

Hate to break the news to you, but the Good Old Boys are still getting their kids/grandkids into Cal.
Once had a good friend at Cal confide in me that he was a C+ student in high school. There was a large building at Cal that had a name on it that later on I found out he had a connection to.
concordtom
Wow!
Kellyanne Conway hits a new low.
You gotta read some of these repsonses.

https://news.yahoo.com/kellyanne-conway-apos-hot-college-085804375.html
Anarchistbear
concordtom said:

Unit2Sucks said:

ConcordTom - I think one thing we tend to have a difficult time wrapping our head around is the fact that there are far more children vying for admission these days but the number of slots at top schools hasn't really increased. The reason there are more applicants is a combo of population growth domestically plus increased interest from wealthy foreign students. I'm just hoping when it's time for my kids to apply there will be some sort of massive worldwide recession that will reduce foreign interest.
Yeah. Thanks.

I just can't fathom it....
Cause she/they blow me away.
4.38 and 1400 gets you denial at SB and waitlist at a CSU school?
Who would have thought that possible?

These are a dime a dozen. In truth it would be better to choose between these by lottery then the students wouldn't think they had failed when they did all that was asked of them. The Universities pretend this is an objective system but it's not- it's just that the biases are not transparent.
concordtom
Anarchistbear said:

concordtom said:

Unit2Sucks said:

ConcordTom - I think one thing we tend to have a difficult time wrapping our head around is the fact that there are far more children vying for admission these days but the number of slots at top schools hasn't really increased. The reason there are more applicants is a combo of population growth domestically plus increased interest from wealthy foreign students. I'm just hoping when it's time for my kids to apply there will be some sort of massive worldwide recession that will reduce foreign interest.
Yeah. Thanks.

These are a dime a dozen. In truth it would be better to choose between these by lottery then the students wouldn't think they had failed when they did all that was asked of them. The Universities pretend this is an objective system but it's not- it's just that the biases are not transparent.
It definitely makes me want to sit down and interview some admissions officers to understand.
concordtom
This is the girl who doesn't care about school, but whose parents bought her admission into USC.

Typical LA ditz, and what is wrong with the upcoming generation of America.

https://news.yahoo.com/lori-loughlin-apos-daughter-olivia-013656228.html
AunBear89
concordtom said:

Anarchistbear said:

concordtom said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Yeah. Thanks.

It definitely makes me want to sit down and interview some admissions officers to understand.
Quick clarifying question: was she applying to an impacted major/program? If she was applying to engineering than that would explain a lot. If she was applying to L&S with plans to be an art history major... someone has some explaining to do.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
Bobodeluxe
USC's interim President Wanda Austin told the Los Angeles Times that about a half-dozen students affiliated with Singer's firm will be barred. A USC statement said officials will also conduct a case-by-case review of current students and graduates tied to the allegations.

Among those current students is Olivia Jade Giannulli, daughter of actress Lori Laughlin, who was reportedly celebrating spring break in the Bahamas on a yacht owned by a USC board of trustees member when the indictments were handed down Tuesday.
concordtom
AunBear89 said:

concordtom said:

Anarchistbear said:

concordtom said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Yeah. Thanks.

Quick clarifying question: was she applying to an impacted major/program? If she was applying to engineering than that would explain a lot. If she was applying to L&S with plans to be an art history major... someone has some explaining to do.
Economics.
I have heard the same reasoning from my wife. It's more competitive.

My nephew from Walnut Creek just got accepted to SLO, which shocked me (!), but then he went for an Agriculture major. Ummm, he knows nothing about Ag and I can't understand why, other than his girlfriend is already there. (Dumb)

concordtom
Bobodeluxe said:

USC's interim President Wanda Austin told the Los Angeles Times that about a half-dozen students affiliated with Singer's firm will be barred. A USC statement said officials will also conduct a case-by-case review of current students and graduates tied to the allegations.

Among those current students is Olivia Jade Giannulli, daughter of actress Lori Laughlin, who was reportedly celebrating spring break in the Bahamas on a yacht owned by a USC board of trustees member when the indictments were handed down Tuesday.
I set the over/under for her remaining time at a week.
I figure this will be a huge boost to her "influencing" biz, more buzz.

The parents each got a $1M bail.
Then I heard that a former head of PIMCO was arrested, too, for his kid's involvement, and his bail was set at $25M

Holy crap.
AunBear89
concordtom said:

AunBear89 said:

concordtom said:

Anarchistbear said:

concordtom said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Yeah. Thanks.

Economics.

My nephew from Walnut Creek just got accepted to SLO, which shocked me (!), but then he went for an Agriculture major. Ummm, he knows nothing about Ag and I can't understand why, other than his girlfriend is already there. (Dumb)

It actually might be pretty smart. The advice I always give parents and students is apply to the university that you want but to a less impacted program. Get accepted and then transfer to the school/program that you want. So after a year of general education classes he can start whatever process they have at SLO to change to an Engineering major or whatever. There are multiple ways to game the college application system, and not all of them are morally questionable or carry a six figure price tag.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
concordtom
AunBear89 said:

concordtom said:

AunBear89 said:

concordtom said:

Anarchistbear said:

concordtom said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Yeah. Thanks.

Economics.

It actually might be pretty smart. The advice I always give parents and students is apply to the university that you want but to a less impacted program. Get accepted and then transfer to the school/program that you want. So after a year of general education classes he can start whatever process they have at SLO to change to an Engineering major or whatever. There are multiple ways to game the college application system, and not all of them are morally questionable or carry a six figure price tag.
Except that changing majors at SLO is apparently notoriously difficult.
golden sloth
concordtom said:

This is the girl who doesn't care about school, but whose parents bought her admission into USC.

There are plenty of people from her generation that work hard and earned what they got (and at least one that got screwed over because of her). Dismissing the entire generation because of her does a huge disservice to those that aren't stupid *******s (which is the overwhelming majority).
golden sloth
And it looks like the lawsuits have begun.

Quote:

In one civil lawsuit, Stanford students Erica Olsen and Kalea Woods said they were denied a fair opportunity to win admission to Yale and USC because of alleged racketeering, and said their degrees from Stanford will be devalued.

Singer and eight schools, including Stanford, were named as defendants in the lawsuit, which seeks unspecified damages.

Another lawsuit by Joshua Toy and his mother said he was denied college admission despite a 4.2 grade point average, and seeks $500 billion of damages from 45 defendants for defrauding and inflicting emotional distress on everyone whose "rights to a fair chance" to enter college was stolen.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-education-cheating/spurned-students-sue-u-s-colleges-in-admissions-scandal-idUSKCN1QV20W
Another Bear
concordtom said:

AunBear89 said:

concordtom said:

AunBear89 said:

concordtom said:

Anarchistbear said:

concordtom said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Yeah. Thanks.

Economics.

Accept that changing majors at SLO is apparently notoriously difficult.
I think changing majors at any CA public university, at least the popular, impacted ones, is difficult. I was told my niece can't switch major, and she's already taking core courses in her major a frosh.
Peanut Gallery Consultant
BearNIt
Another Bear said:

concordtom said:

AunBear89 said:

concordtom said:

AunBear89 said:

concordtom said:

Anarchistbear said:

concordtom said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Yeah. Thanks.

Economics.

I think changing majors at any CA public university, at least the popular, impacted ones, is difficult. I was told my niece can't switch major, and she's already taking core courses in her major a frosh.
My sister changed her major while at Cal from from Biology/Genetics to American History after her sophomore year and went to medical school.
sp4149
Another Bear said:

concordtom said:

AunBear89 said:

concordtom said:

AunBear89 said:

concordtom said:

Quick clarifying question: was she applying to an impacted major/program? If she was applying to engineering than that would explain a lot. If she was applying to L&S with plans to be an art history major... someone has some explaining to do

Our experiences cloud our vision of today's realities. I was told to go the route of gain entrance, then change your major after a year demonstrating the ability to complete the course work; by admissions officials. And I did, 40 years ago. Doesn't matter in today's college admissions world. I was lucky to get into college, I was naive, I didn't know where the stepping stones were in the water, I didn't understand the process. In today's world I could not compete; I can understand the need to hire these admission consultants. Lacking a free $250K from gramps for 'college", one granddaughter joined the Marines to get a leg up on college.
Blueblood
Anarchistbear
What the hell's wrong with these rich people? Instead of going to college have their kids do what countless other sons and daughters of the white privileged do- become organic farmers, life coaches, yoga teachers and performance artists.
concordtom
golden sloth said:

concordtom said:

There are plenty of people from her generation that work hard and earned what they got (and at least one that got screwed over because of her). Dismissing the entire generation because of her does a huge disservice to those that aren't stupid *******s (which is the overwhelming majority).
Sorry, I wasn't referring to a generation. I was referring to portion of girls from LA that I met at sdsu in 1986. There's a type, and she is soooooo exemplary!
I'm not a fan of that type. It's a SoCal special. My wife is from New England. Hooray!
Not all SoCal girls are like this, but they are WAY more plentiful in SoCal than NorCal.
concordtom
BearNIt said:

Another Bear said:

concordtom said:

AunBear89 said:

concordtom said:

AunBear89 said:

concordtom said:

Anarchistbear said:

concordtom said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Yeah. Thanks.

Economics.

My sister changed her major while at Cal from from Biology/Genetics to American History after her sophomore year and went to medical school.
What year?
concordtom
Hallmark parent company Crown Media issued a statement on Thursday: "We are saddened by the recent news surrounding the college admissions allegations. We are no longer working with Lori Loughlin and have stopped development of all productions that air on the Crown Media Family Network channels involving Lori Loughlin including Garage Sale Mysteries, an independent third party production."

who would use her as a sales person?
What studio will cast her now?

America doesn't like liars and cheaters, unless your name is trump.
sp4149
concordtom said:

Hallmark parent company Crown Media issued a statement on Thursday: "We are saddened by the recent news surrounding the college admissions allegations. We are no longer working with Lori Loughlin and have stopped development of all productions that air on the Crown Media Family Network channels involving Lori Loughlin including Garage Sale Mysteries, an independent third party production."

There goes her passport...
BearNIt
concordtom said:

BearNIt said:

Another Bear said:

concordtom said:

AunBear89 said:

concordtom said:

AunBear89 said:

concordtom said:

Anarchistbear said:

concordtom said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Yeah. Thanks.

Economics.

What year?
bearister
concordtom said:

I'm telling you, the idea of a women's prison reality TV show has legs. These fallen actress have bills to pay. Mark Burnett is all in.

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.