Deportation to sanctuary cities

3,393 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Another Bear
concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm thinking I'll go down and pick some up, along with a promise to feed and shelter them in exchange for help around the house.

I just need to know what they need in order to advance their cause. I am not a lawyer. Who can give me advice on that aspect?

Who else likes this idea?
Kovy
How awesome of you that you can "go down and pick some up" to be your little house servants. The left loves their little poor brown people don't they?
BearNIt
Kovy said:

How awesome of you that you can "go down and pick some up" to be your little house servants. The left loves their little poor brown people don't they?
Please explain your comment. Are you for this, or against this?
GoOskie

I believe concordtom is a moderate republican. But anyone you disagree with must be on the left, right?
Anarchistbear
So we've gone from rapists and ISIS terrorists and separating families to...let them go where they want- a pass for migrants . This is actually brilliant. The blue states should call his bluff.
Unit2Sucks
To no one's surprise it's an incredibly poorly conceived idea that would not have even remotely close to the intended effect. Bussing immigrants to SF will not cause them to remain here unless you build a wall around the city. So basically the idea is to send these poor unfortunate economic migrants to a random sanctuary city only to have them redistribute themselves where they have the best economic opportunities. It amounts to open borders with a short unwanted vacation.

In short, Trump is the first prominent politician to propose open borders only he's too much of an ill-informed and lazy thinker to realize what he's doing. It's amazing that there are still people who defend him on policy grounds. He's basically the world's least competent super villain. He's like Dr Evil on OxyContin.
sycasey
Unit2Sucks said:

To no one's surprise it's an incredibly poorly conceived idea that would not have even remotely close to the intended effect. Bussing immigrants to SF will not cause them to remain here unless you build a wall around the city. So basically the idea is to send these poor unfortunate economic migrants to a random sanctuary city only to have them redistribute themselves where they have the best economic opportunities. It amounts to open borders with a short unwanted vacation.

In short, Trump is the first prominent politician to propose open borders only he's too much of an ill-informed and lazy thinker to realize what he's doing. It's amazing that there are still people who defend him on policy grounds. He's basically the world's least competent super villain. He's like Dr Evil on OxyContin.

The plan also seems to presume that people in those sanctuary cities will just REALLY HATE having those immigrants there, when in fact:

1. Most people in those cities are probably completely fine with it, given that they are already sanctuary cities in the first place.

2. Most of the people who maybe don't like it probably won't even notice, since these are, y'know, pretty big cities.

Even as a petty attempt to "stick it to the Dems" this is pretty weak tea.
concordtom
GoOskie said:

I believe concordtom is a moderate republican. But anyone you disagree with must be on the left, right?

You don't read these pages often, do you?
blungld
I am stating the obvious but the concept of sending them to sanctuary cities belies every speaking point of legitimacy and reveals the total racism that we all knew was hiding in plain sight. The border conversation was a pretend conversation about security, but it was always about satisfying the people in this country who don't like brown people. To suggest that sending the brown people at liberals to see how much they like them reveals what he really thinks of having to endure brown people at the same time gives his racist supporters a gleeful "that will show them" rush of spite and malice. These are not people concerned with keeping America safe. That is code for ideology.

We should have ongoing discussions about immigration, but not led by lies, fear mongering, and racism.
sp4149
It's only a first step.
Trump will give each one a rake and point them toward piles of dry leaves,
And Presto! they will be preventing all potential future California wildfires.
San Francsico can send them to Hetch Hetchy which will also protect the national park.
Another Bear
This is fascism and authoritarian 101.
GBear4Life
Kovy said:

He's obviously lying. The type of Leftists who make that claim and are loudest about it would never house a colored peasant, let alone live in the same neighborhood as one.

You see, they can virtue signal about immigration and the 'value' of sanctuary cities because they don't have to live with the results. Only poor people do. So they let them deal with it.

Homelessness is talked about in the same delusional manner. It's like a couple I know were virtue signaling about people who oppose homeless shelter expansion are soulless degenerates. But they'd of course oppose a homeless shelter in their neighborhood. They're cool with homeless shelters destroying a neighborhood -- so long as it's not theirs.
Unit2Sucks
GB4L - would genuinely like to hear the story of how you became radicalized.
GBear4Life
Unit2Sucks said:

GB4L - would genuinely like to hear the story of how you became radicalized.
LOL I supported Obama twice. There are a few names in the Dem nominee hat I'd support in 2020.

The problem -- and part of the reason why Trump won in 2016 -- is that you think sensible positions that happen to conflict with yours is 'radical'.

Fact: A considerable portion from both parties think illegal immigration is an issue that needs to be solved (shocker) and to put citizens before non-citizens (shocker)

People on this board tend to use 'compassion', a morally ambiguous term, to justify ideological positions. Compassion is narrow and irrational. Fairness and justice for American citizens, particularly those who migrated here legally, is more compelling than weak appeals to irrational emotions.
Another Bear
Anarchistbear said:

So we've gone from rapists and ISIS terrorists and separating families to...let them go where they want- a pass for migrants . This is actually brilliant. The blue states should call his bluff.

US mayors call Trump's bluff on sending detained migrants to sanctuary cities

GBear4Life
blungld said:

I am stating the obvious but the concept of sending them to sanctuary cities belies every speaking point of legitimacy and reveals the total racism that we all knew was hiding in plain sight. The border conversation was a pretend conversation about security, but it was always about satisfying the people in this country who don't like brown people. To suggest that sending the brown people at liberals to see how much they like them reveals what he really thinks of having to endure brown people at the same time gives his racist supporters a gleeful "that will show them" rush of spite and malice. These are not people concerned with keeping America safe. That is code for ideology.

We should have ongoing discussions about immigration, but not led by lies, fear mongering, and racism.

The establishment Left has no interest in taking a principled stand against illegal immigration. I don't blame them, they're just catering to their base and their short term political interests. I blame their base, who don't seem to discern between illegal and legal, nor do they discern between beneficial immigration and non beneficial immigration.
Anarchistbear
Another Bear said:

Anarchistbear said:

US mayors call Trump's bluff on sending detained migrants to sanctuary cities

Absolutely, can you imagine him explaining his new open borders policy to his base
sycasey
GBear4Life said:

People on this board tend to use 'compassion', a morally ambiguous term, to justify ideological positions.

That you find compassion hard to understand probably says more about you than anyone else.
sycasey
GBear4Life said:

The problem -- and part of the reason why Trump won in 2016 -- is that you think sensible positions that happen to conflict with yours is 'radical'.

Fact: A considerable portion from both parties think illegal immigration is an issue that needs to be solved (shocker) and to put citizens before non-citizens (shocker)
Here are some more facts:

1. Before the 2018 midterms, immigration was indeed at or near the top of the list of issues voters were concerned about.

https://www.vox.com/2018/6/20/17485162/pew-research-center-poll-immigration-issue-2018-midterms

2. The Republicans did not do well in the 2018 midterms. If you had run a Presidential election based on the two-party share of the vote in 2018, Trump would have lost.

This indicates that while people do think immigration is an issue that needs to be fixed, they did not necessarily find Trump's policies the most "sensible" ones.
sp4149
The Nunes family diary farm is in Iowa, in Steven King's district and reportedly 98% of the farms in that Congressional District rely upon undocumented foreign workers. The GOP hypocrisy is that they don't want the illegal immigration problem solved in their home states, their loyal GOP farmers would lose their labor force and quickly go bankrupt.

Maybe the DEMs should go to IOWA and other Red states and attempt to deport their agriculture work force to sanctuary states. Citing the local populace's opposition to immigrants and support of border walls a thousand miles away; this might appear to be a no-brainer

The GOP spin should provide high speed entertainment.
B.A. Bearacus

GBear4Life
Clearly it makes zero sense to deport an 11 year old of a family that was granted asylum status.

The courts making error is speculation by their lawyers at this point, and it appears a letter was sent to the family to reschedule and they did not appear.

I would expect the courts to clear this up.

I don't expect MSM to have balanced reporting on this, but nevertheless, it strikes me that the family wouldn't be willing to go back with their daughter. This family separation stuff shouldn't be happening; I agree. The entire family should be sent packing with a bag of red vines and some corn nuts. They can stay in Mexico. Or better yet, they can live on Nancy Pelosi's lawn inside her castle behind the walls that separates her from the common and colored folks she detests but will virtue signal about to keep her political power. Or even better yet, they can live in the spare bedrooms of sycasey, bungld and the other Bear Insider heroes.

Moreover, the world is full of sob stories about escaping danger. Taken to its logical end, billions of people have claim to asylum in America. I mean the world is full of 3rd world lawless cesspools. These folks can go almost anywhere that isn't El Salvador. But why not come to America where your standard of living shoots up x100 and you can eat, live and become educated for free?
Another Bear
Stephen Miller must testify about placing immigrants in 'sanctuary cities,' Nadler says

Quote:

Trump immigration adviser is at center of controversial proposal to release 'thousands' of undocumented immigrants into 'sanctuary cities'
My guess, Miller testifies and it begins his downfall. Trump will fire him like everyone else.
sycasey
GBear4Life said:

I don't expect MSM to have balanced reporting on this, but nevertheless, it strikes me that the family wouldn't be willing to go back with their daughter. This family separation stuff shouldn't be happening; I agree. The entire family should be sent packing with a bag of red vines and some corn nuts. They can stay in Mexico. Or better yet, they can live on Nancy Pelosi's lawn inside her castle behind the walls that separates her from the common and colored folks she detests but will virtue signal about to keep her political power. Or even better yet, they can live in the spare bedrooms of sycasey, bungld and the other Bear Insider heroes.
The Card Says Moops!

Dude, right over here you were just arguing that the child separation policy was fine because parents who break the law don't get to keep their kids with them while they are in jail. Which is it? I thought you were supposed to be the logical consistent guy on this board.

https://bearinsider.com/forums/6/topics/87946/replies/1608532
GBear4Life
My fault for not being specific.

Separating the child from family via deporting one but not the other makes zero sense -- i.e. give all of them asylum or kick them all to the curb.

Temporarily separating children from their parents when they are detained and under investigation is par for the course.
sycasey
GBear4Life said:

My fault for not being specific.

Separating the child from family via deporting one but not the other makes zero sense -- i.e. give all of them asylum or kick them all to the curb.

Temporarily separating children from their parents when they are detained and under investigation is par for the course.
Solid backpedal.

Of course, it was NOT "par for the course" to need to detain all asylum seekers and separate them from their children prior to the current administration's policies. That was a choice made by Trump's team.
Another Bear
The border wall, the separation of children from parents and sending immigrants to sanctuary cities are all manufactured crisis by Trump and Miller to rally their base. This amounts to Trump policy. Other policy, destroy government raise the deficit to the max.

The deficit is of course ironic AF because deficit spending is boosting the economy, after years of lying about it. The thing is, since it's not being controlled, like all things Trump, it will explode and the public will pay for it, as always.
concordtom
You've got it.
So true!
GBear4Life
It's a bold move, but my guess is it's borne out of the WH's realization that Democrats are merely paying lip service to immigration reform. At the end of the day, it strikes me as a silly PR move that they won't follow through on because there are no benefits -- it's just petty.

All the Dems want, and know they should, get ruthless on illegal immigration the same way they're ruthless about the preventative measures they use in guarding their mansions.

It's interesting to see their contradiction play out where on one hand they proclaim champions of American Blacks and more broadly the low wage working class and on the other hand actively seek to suppress wages by applauding or standing idle on the importation of millions of 3rd world menial laborers illiterate in our language.

Quote:

Appealing to America's working class, Obama went on: "If this huge influx of mostly low-skill workers provides some benefits to the economy as a whole especially by keeping our workforce young, it also threatens to depress further the wages of blue-collar Americans and put strains on an already overburdened safety net."

Cue the white knights avoiding this contradiction in 3, 2, 1....

sycasey
GBear4Life said:

It's interesting to see their contradiction play out where on one hand they proclaim champions of American Blacks and more broadly the low wage working class and on the other hand actively seek to suppress wages by applauding or standing idle on the importation of millions of 3rd world menial laborers illiterate in our language.
You keep asserting this idea, that immigrants depress the wages of American workers. It's time to show your work.

From whatever research I can find, this is far from a given. Economists are very much mixed on the question, and if you average out the results of the studies it seems like the effect is probably negligible. Here you go, one summary from a usually liberal source (NPR) and another from a conservative source (Cato):

https://www.npr.org/2017/08/04/541321716/fact-check-have-low-skilled-immigrants-taken-american-jobs
Quote:

Economists disagree whether or how much an influx of immigrants depresses wages. Some have found that new immigrants depress wages for certain groups, such as teenagers or workers with a high school diploma or less. Others say the overall effect on the economy is tiny, and an influx of immigrant workers vitalizes the economy overall.

https://www.cato.org/cato-journal/fall-2017/does-immigration-reduce-wages
Quote:

Conclusion

Our research produced two broad results. First, when Borjas's methods are extended a few years, the wage elasticity of immigration is 0.2 rather than 0.3 to 0.4. Second, Borjas's assumption of perfect worker substitutability within cells cannot be correct as the wages of men and women both increased as women entered the workforce from 1960 to 2010. Empirical methods that relax the two assumptions described above likely lead to estimates that more accurately describe the impacts of immigration on native wages and that are either very small or zero (Ottaviano and Peri 2012, Ortega and Verdugo 2014).

You're in here constantly complaining about the liberals "virtue signaling" because they only care about being "compassionate" in the face of hard data. Yet you have never provided any data to back up your assertions about immigrants being a net negative. Maybe the liberals aren't buying your argument because you haven't supported it.
Anarchistbear
Gbear, why did you vote for a useless s$it like Obama?
Another Bear
Protest vote against the GOP war criminals and an economic disaster was on the horizon.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.