How Many Plan to Attend the Trump Celebration, "A Salute to America" on July 4th?

9,285 Views | 74 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by concordtom
sp4149
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This caught my attention on MSNBC last night. Rachel Maddow had a segment with a look back at the Nixon Administration back in 1970. That was the year I exited Cal after Ronnie cancelled the commencement and briefly shut down the University after Kent State. The Nixon supporters organized a "Honor America Day" in Washington on the 4th of July with a mass rally and fireworks display at the Washington Monument. Nixon did not attend, he was actually in California on the 4th.

blob:https://www.msnbc.com/ac454930-96b2-488a-b1e1-dce9a32f1f46

The New York Times and network news described a heated clash between long-hairs and crew-cuts (aka Riot) where police and long hairs were battered and bloodied and the Park Police on horsback chased the demonstraters into the reflecting pool. It is quite a story, and I don't remember it at all, but on that night in Yosemite I lived it. After end of classes I went to Yosemite to report for duty as a seasonal ranger. There had been a disturbance on Memorial Day and a couple of Rangers were embarrassed and the Park asked for ten additional seasonal rangers, I was one. At that time Park supervisors were mostly retired military, not tree huggers, and not fond of interaction with the public. The next big holiday weekend was barely a month later on the Fourth; and the command spent the time preparing. A 'war room' was setup and with help from the CHP, the movement of motorcycle gangs throughout the state was plotted. Back-up reserves from the closest Air Force Base were on stand-by, local sheriff deputies were on call, US Marshalls were authorized for law enforcement duties by the local Federal magistrate and Concessionaire wranglers were deputized for a mounted horse patrol.

On the evening of the 3rd a large crowd had gathered in Stoneman Meadow and 20 of us were sent in on foot to break up the crowd. Signs had been posted declaring an 8pm curfew, most ended up in the Merced river and the curfew was ignored. It took over half an hour of us in the middle of the 'party' when those gathered left, us alone in the meadow, This forced a revision of 'the planning'. The motorcycle gangs were avoiding the park, so the plans for immediate backup from MPOs and US Marshalls were stood down. But supervisors, sensing success on the 3rd opted for a more aggressive response on the Fourth. All rangers in the park were called in to the Valley for duty on the evening of the Fourth. Our group of twenty on foot had swelled to 38 and we were to enter at double time from the trailer campground next to the meadow. On the opposite side, the horse patrol was to enter and in a pincer movement we would push the gathered crowd of 1,000 or more celebrants, feeling the effects of booze and weed, into the ice cold river in the dark of the evening. The result was the first riot held in a National Park; it lasted into the morning, by which time nearly a hundred were arrested and there were only a handful of visitors in the valley as Mr and Mrs America fled with their families in the middle of the night. I had been up for almost 36 hours, on duty for 18 hours when I was finally relieved and never heard about the 'riot' in DC at the "Honor America Day".

Fast forward to yesterday and Rachel Maddow announcing that The Grump is planning his celebration for the Fourth, A Salute To America. Unlike Nixon, The Grump will attend, to receive lavish praise. I am sure.

I remember the last time this was tried and have no desire to attend.

But the question is - Will You attend ???
concordtom
What?
There's going to be a trump celebration?

Is this a Bring-Your-Own-Toilet-Paper event?
Or will that be provided?
concordtom
I'll be there distributing suppositories.
oski003
concordtom said:

What?
There's going to be a trump celebration?

Is this a Bring-Your-Own-Toilet-Paper event?
Or will that be provided?

Wear your Depends, and you'll be fine. :P
Eastern Oregon Bear
Even when I lived in the DC area, I only went to the 4th of July celebration once. I wouldn't go near a Salute to MAGA celebration.
Cal88
sp4149 said:

This caught my attention on MSNBC last night. Rachel Maddow had a segment with a look back at the Nixon Administration back in 1970. That was the year I exited Cal after Ronnie cancelled the commencement and briefly shut down the University after Kent State. The Nixon supporters organized a "Honor America Day" in Washington on the 4th of July with a mass rally and fireworks display at the Washington Monument. Nixon did not attend, he was actually in California on the 4th.

blob:https://www.msnbc.com/ac454930-96b2-488a-b1e1-dce9a32f1f46

The New York Times and network news described a heated clash between long-hairs and crew-cuts (aka Riot) where police and long hairs were battered and bloodied and the Park Police on horsback chased the demonstraters into the reflecting pool. It is quite a story, and I don't remember it at all, but on that night in Yosemite I lived it. After end of classes I went to Yosemite to report for duty as a seasonal ranger. There had been a disturbance on Memorial Day and a couple of Rangers were embarrassed and the Park asked for ten additional seasonal rangers, I was one. At that time Park supervisors were mostly retired military, not tree huggers, and not fond of interaction with the public. The next big holiday weekend was barely a month later on the Fourth; and the command spent the time preparing. A 'war room' was setup and with help from the CHP, the movement of motorcycle gangs throughout the state was plotted. Back-up reserves from the closest Air Force Base were on stand-by, local sheriff deputies were on call, US Marshalls were authorized for law enforcement duties by the local Federal magistrate and Concessionaire wranglers were deputized for a mounted horse patrol.

On the evening of the 3rd a large crowd had gathered in Stoneman Meadow and 20 of us were sent in on foot to break up the crowd. Signs had been posted declaring an 8pm curfew, most ended up in the Merced river and the curfew was ignored. It took over half an hour of us in the middle of the 'party' when those gathered left, us alone in the meadow, This forced a revision of 'the planning'. The motorcycle gangs were avoiding the park, so the plans for immediate backup from MPOs and US Marshalls were stood down. But supervisors, sensing success on the 3rd opted for a more aggressive response on the Fourth. All rangers in the park were called in to the Valley for duty on the evening of the Fourth. Our group of twenty on foot had swelled to 38 and we were to enter at double time from the trailer campground next to the meadow. On the opposite side, the horse patrol was to enter and in a pincer movement we would push the gathered crowd of 1,000 or more celebrants, feeling the effects of booze and weed, into the ice cold river in the dark of the evening. The result was the first riot held in a National Park; it lasted into the morning, by which time nearly a hundred were arrested and there were only a handful of visitors in the valley as Mr and Mrs America fled with their families in the middle of the night. I had been up for almost 36 hours, on duty for 18 hours when I was finally relieved and never heard about the 'riot' in DC at the "Honor America Day".

Fast forward to yesterday and Rachel Maddow announcing that The Grump is planning his celebration for the Fourth, A Salute To America. Unlike Nixon, The Grump will attend, to receive lavish praise. I am sure.

I remember the last time this was tried and have no desire to attend.

But the question is - Will You attend ???

The real question here is, why are you still watching Rachel Maddow??
concordtom
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

Even when I lived in the DC area, I only went to the 4th of July celebration once. I wouldn't go near a Salute to MAGA celebration.
My folks used to live here. This was our view. It was the best day of the year.

sp4149
It's time!

Trump's 4th of July 'Salute to America' event to include ticketed section for VIPs

The President's event will include an address from Trump, music from military bands and military flyovers. The Blue Angels, the US Navy's flight demonstration team, will participate, and the plane used as Air Force One will also fly above the National Mall. Since Trump will be on the ground watching rather than on the plane, the aircraft won't officially be Air Force One.

There will also be two fireworks displays lasting a total of 35 minutes, the longest show in the nation's capital, according to the National Park Service.

The Washington Post recently reported that the District of Columbia was forced to dip into its Emergency Planning and Security fund to cover the security costs for the President's July Fourth address, because the federal government has been lacking in funds due to its $7 million in debt for the 2017 inauguration.

First day in office and he still isn't paying his debts. No wonder he refuses to release the financials for his inauguration.

BearNIt
sp4149 said:

It's time!

Trump's 4th of July 'Salute to America' event to include ticketed section for VIPs

The President's event will include an address from Trump, music from military bands and military flyovers. The Blue Angels, the US Navy's flight demonstration team, will participate, and the plane used as Air Force One will also fly above the National Mall. Since Trump will be on the ground watching rather than on the plane, the aircraft won't officially be Air Force One.

There will also be two fireworks displays lasting a total of 35 minutes, the longest show in the nation's capital, according to the National Park Service.

The Washington Post recently reported that the District of Columbia was forced to dip into its Emergency Planning and Security fund to cover the security costs for the President's July Fourth address, because the federal government has been lacking in funds due to its $7 million in debt for the 2017 inauguration.

First day in office and he still isn't paying his debts. No wonder he refuses to release the financials for his inauguration.

Will the Idiot In Chief claim that it was the best and biggest July 4TH celebration ever? Can't wait to see the pictures comparing his celebration to others and the new Press Secretary trying to make the argument that it was without question the greatest celebration ever despite evidence to the contrary.
bearister
Da Proud Boys are geared up and going.

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
concordtom
How Many Plan to Attend IN PROTEST the Trump Celebration, "A Salute to America" on July 4th?
concordtom
I'd rather leave it behind for all you Trump Zombies.
concordtom
I'm proud to be a fully enlightened and converted Republican. My parents indoctrinated me. But I've seen the light and the Republican Party is devil evil! Trump is the grand warlock of death.
BearNIt
The Fearless Idiot wants tanks to role down the streets in Washington D.C. for his 4TH of July celebration parade so he can look like an authoritarian leader. The problem with that is that the streets and National Mall are not made to withstand the weight of the tanks. The celebration that he wants will cost thousands of dollars and D.C. can't absorb the cost as they are still owed money from his small inauguration.
sp4149
BearNIt said:

The Fearless Idiot wants tanks to role down the streets in Washington D.C. for his 4TH of July celebration parade so he can look like an authoritarian leader. The problem with that is that the streets and National Mall are not made to withstand the weight of the tanks. The celebration that he wants will cost thousands of dollars and D.C. can't absorb the cost as they are still owed money from his small inauguration.
Daily I have to determine if his policy is determined by arrogance or ignorance. For this celebration it is a hard choice.

On a hot day modern battle tanks will sink deep into asphalt, concrete payment will survive better if the tanks are slowed to a crawl. Other countries replace the steel cleated tracks with rubber padded tracks so that the surface of the pavement is not scarified.

Years ago I was on a ground assault training base when they were replacing, due to wear, their tank crossings in the asphalt roads. The tank crossings were 2 foot thick reinforced concrete, Not many roads in this country follow such a robust design.

Maybe if its a hot day in DC and the tanks destroy miles of roads in the Capital and the whole world is watching,
it will be the Emperor modeling his new clothes, in real time...
B.A. Bearacus
It's been noted that Sherman tanks were last made over 60 years ago. Republicans, does his competency ever get old?
bearister
After the tanks, Pence is unveiling his "modification" to the Washington Monument:

prospeCt

https://www.trbimg.com/img-58da7b25/turbine/ct-donald-trump-nationals-opening-day-20170328

B.A. Bearacus

B.A. Bearacus
Another Bear
B.A. Bearacus said:

TRUMP
bearister
sp4149
bearister said:

That is what differentiates an old school progressive Republican like Teddy, champion of America's Best Idea, from Regressives like Reagan and Trump.
bearister
GBear4Life
MAGA themed 4th of July parade saluting America?

bearister
Leon Panetta Predicts How Donald Trump Will Undermine Fourth Of July Bash

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5d1c49f9e4b07f6ca585fca9?guccounter=1

"We know who we are, we know our strengths, and very frankly our view has always been that we should appreciate our liberties and our freedoms because in a democracy the most important thing is that we protect the values that our country is all about. That doesn't mean we have to roll tanks down the street or roll troops down the street because we know who we are. We appreciate those that serve, but most importantly, we are all part of one family when it comes to America." Leon Panetta
bearister

bearister
DOD Directive 1344.10. military personnel may not participate in partisan political activities, to include fundraising, speaking at partisan gatherings, appearing in uniform for political events, seeking office or attending political events as a representative for the military.
joe amos yaks
I'll be fishing in Lake Baikal.
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
B.A. Bearacus
This president is not worthy of leading our country and 80% of us on here know that.

concordtom
bearister said:

After the tanks, Pence is unveiling his "modification" to the Washington Monument:

Why don't we just schedule a Hate Trump event and have it look way bigger?
bearister
B.A. Bearacus said:

This president is not worthy of leading our country and 80% of us on here know that.

One of the comments to that tweet gave me this idea....and it would save the taxpayers millions:

Dummy Tanks

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dummy_tank

B.A. Bearacus
I can picture a semi-realistic hot dog eating contest between T, KJU, MBS, and Putin, crowds of T supporters cheering everyone on. Putin gets a loud roar when he takes a shot of vodka, MBS also gets some love by slicing his dogs with a bone saw, and KJU and T outdo everyone by simultaneously feeding each other a dog across the contestant demarcation line.
Another Bear
I always figured military brass discouraged or banned parades and displays of power because it would piss off Americans tired of 50%+ of the U.S. budget going to military or related...and endless war.

By not having displays of power, the military has blunted a lot of criticism. It's the same reason why U.S. military brass started embedding journalist instead of letting they run free like Vietnam. It's all about controlling the message and military is your buddy.
BearNIt
B.A. Bearacus said:

The only way to fight this drain on the National Park Service is to go camping. Do your part, "To Make Camping In America Great Again". Take the wife, kids, or a buddy and go camping in one of our beautiful National Parks for a few days. Just did 4 days of camping and had a great time.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.