Who survives Shepard Smith or *ucker Carlson?

5,985 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by bearister
Another Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
At this rate, I'd say Smith has the edge. It's one thing is be a blowhard supporting white supremacy...it's completely different deal to drive advertisers away.

Quote:

Tucker Carlson's Show Bled 70 Advertisers in Less Than a Year
Even more advertisers have abandoned the Fox News host after he called white supremacy "a hoax."

https://www.gq.com/story/tucker-carlson-boycotts-working
[url=https://www.gq.com/story/tucker-carlson-boycotts-working][/url]
Unit2Sucks
My company put Carlson on its blacklist after one of his rants against immigrants (I think he said they made America dirtier or something like that).

It was bad for business. We had literally only run a handful of ads that had appeared on his show starting that week when he went on his rant. We hadn't specifically sponsored his show but had wanted exposure to Fox News and that's how we were rewarded. I don't know whether we are in the list of 70 or not or how many of those were truly sponsors who specifically dedicated ads to his show vs more general TV campaigns.
Anarchistbear
Your company was shocked to find exposure to Fox News might bring some anti- immigrant sentiment? Savvy media buyers.
Unit2Sucks
As is your wont, you are assuming too much. Some in management opposed the move completely. Others wanted exposure to viewers who were underrepresented among our customer base. Interestingly and largely due to the underrepresentation, ads we ran on Fox performed better than our other ads which proved out the business case but the virulent racism made it unpalatable with our existing consumers.
BearGoggles
Unit2Sucks said:

BearGoggles said:

Words have meanings. Show your work and provide specific definitions and then explain how it applies to Trump specifically, and not other presidents.

What non-authoritarian meanings would BearGoggles ascribe to Trump's latest tweets?

"Our great American companies are hereby ordered to immediately start looking for an alternative to China"

Please don't waste your breath noting that his words are just proclamations and don't yet have the force of law - that argument is essentially saying that words don't have meanings when spoken by the President. But please do tell us why you think statements like this aren't the mark of an authoritarian leader.

They are stupid tweets - like most of Trump's are. You keep asserting that I'm a Trump apologist, but that is far from the truth. I think he's a buffoon and didn't/won't vote for him. That being said, I think what he wrote is largely (but not completely) harmless. Many presidents and politicians make aspirational statements ("buy american" or or "hope and change") that imply but don't actually undertake action. Trump's use of the word "order" is stupid - but did he actually order it? Do you believe that he will actually order it?

How is what Trump said materially different from Obama holding a workers summit and saying that companies "need to pay" higher wages?

You are so consumed with Trump derangement syndrome that you're now conflating tweets with executive orders. Trump is playing you like a fiddle and you are being consumed by a constant state of faux outrage. Keep swinging at the windmills.

In the meantime, there are things Trump is actually considering doing - revoking birthright citizenship by executive order - that would be authoritarian. And I'll be the first to say so (if he does it). That is the difference between you and me - I'll call balls and strikes regardless of the pitcher.

You, on the other hand, have convinced yourself that Trump is "worse." And you refuse to acknowledge that Obama's abuse of executive orders (DACA and modifications of Obamacare laws/deadlines) paved the way for every borderline EO that Trump has issued (or might issue). Unless I'm mistaken, you have never criticized Obama for any of that which makes you a partisan/hypocrite because you only object when you oppose the policy. Feel free to correct me on that by telling me you think the Obama EO's were equally wrong and authoritarian to Trump's.
BearlyCareAnymore
BearGoggles said:

Unit2Sucks said:

BearGoggles said:

Words have meanings. Show your work and provide specific definitions and then explain how it applies to Trump specifically, and not other presidents.

What non-authoritarian meanings would BearGoggles ascribe to Trump's latest tweets?

"Our great American companies are hereby ordered to immediately start looking for an alternative to China"

Please don't waste your breath noting that his words are just proclamations and don't yet have the force of law - that argument is essentially saying that words don't have meanings when spoken by the President. But please do tell us why you think statements like this aren't the mark of an authoritarian leader.

They are stupid tweets - like most of Trump's are. You keep asserting that I'm a Trump apologist, but that is far from the truth. I think he's a buffoon and didn't/won't vote for him. That being said, I think what he wrote is largely (but not completely) harmless. Many presidents and politicians make aspirational statements ("buy american" or or "hope and change") that imply but don't actually undertake action. Trump's use of the word "order" is stupid - but did he actually order it? Do you believe that he will actually order it?

How is what Trump said materially different from Obama holding a workers summit and saying that companies "need to pay" higher wages?

You are so consumed with Trump derangement syndrome that you're now conflating tweets with executive orders. Trump is playing you like a fiddle and you are being consumed by a constant state of faux outrage. Keep swinging at the windmills.

In the meantime, there are things Trump is actually considering doing - revoking birthright citizenship by executive order - that would be authoritarian. And I'll be the first to say so (if he does it). That is the difference between you and me - I'll call balls and strikes regardless of the pitcher.

You, on the other hand, have convinced yourself that Trump is "worse." And you refuse to acknowledge that Obama's abuse of executive orders (DACA and modifications of Obamacare laws/deadlines) paved the way for every borderline EO that Trump has issued (or might issue). Unless I'm mistaken, you have never criticized Obama for any of that which makes you a partisan/hypocrite because you only object when you oppose the policy. Feel free to correct me on that by telling me you think the Obama EO's were equally wrong and authoritarian to Trump's.

Trump as President threatens to change the constitution by executive order- not authoritarian until he does it. One candidate, Kamala Harris, says she will issue an executive order and Democrats are authoritarian.

The only one with Trump derangement is Trump. He is Trump and he is deranged. What he has done today has been to tank the market so he can have a tantrum.

You on the other hand have Trump enablement syndrome. Sorry, you can quit your little "he's a buffoon" hedges while you fight and fight and fight for him. Doesn't wash. His policies on the economy are psychotic in comparison to republican conservative beliefs. His foreign policy is psychotic compared to traditional republican values. Conservatives like you who have enabled him are fully to blame for this.

California turned liberal after 24 of 28 years of Republican governors because the state Republican Party lost its collective mind. You want to repeat that nationally fine.
Unit2Sucks
BearGoggles - your response is predictably preposterous.

You want to make an argument that Obama's use of executive power was excessive and not what the founding fathers anticipated or would have accepted? I will stand beside you. Instead you want to make an argument that Obama's use of that power was unique relative to recent presidents and that is a much harder sell. Obama used EOs largely to enact policies supported by the American people. Some of those were excessive. A lot of it was through proper agency rulemaking backed by legitimate process.

Trump's abuse of power has nothing to do with Obama. It's completely spurious to claim that they are somehow related. Trump has no sense of history and doesn't care one whit for norms, the constitution or any claims that what he is doing is improper. He takes action and waits for the fallout. He is enacting policies that are opposed by the American public. He is forcing his agencies to rollback valid rulemaking actions in violation of the administration procedure act. His political appointees are running rampant throughout executive agencies and certainly causing them to violate the laws that enabled and govern their actions. The IG reports that continue to come out near this opinion out. He has claimed (through subordinates) that his authority on immigration and national security is absolute. I don't think anyone with a clue will dispute that when all is said and done history will mark Trump's regime as the most unlawful one in modern US history and it won't even be close. He is testing the limits of a vague constitution every single day and our country is suffering for it. You will be an outlier as a conservative challenging his EO on birthright citizenship. The rest will cheer him on as they have his dismantling of the EPA and the state department.

Of course you quibble that a tweet claiming to order private industry to take some action is harmless because. And that would be true if the president's words have no meaning. But as you noted earlier, words do have meaning. That's why he is leading us headfirst into a recession and that's why the market has had so much volatility. Today's dumb tweet caused the market to fall 500 points. That doesn't seem harmless to me.

And as I pointed out earlier, and OTB notes above, this all started because you said Kamala Harris is more authoritarian than Trump. Even for you that is a preposterous position to take.
Unit2Sucks
BearGoggles said:

That being said, I think what he wrote is largely (but not completely) harmless. Many presidents and politicians make aspirational statements ("buy american" or or "hope and change") that imply but don't actually undertake action. Trump's use of the word "order" is stupid - but did he actually order it? Do you believe that he will actually order it?

Trump is now threatening to assert his order under the IEEPA and claims he has the absolute right to do so.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/24/politics/trump-china-trade-war-emergency-economic-powers-act/index.html

But you still want us to believe that Kamala Harris is more authoritarian than Trump because that one time she said she would do something about guns.

TDS, indeed.

By the way, you may not think of yourself as a Trump apologist but you are the functional equivalent of one.
bearister
Unit2Sucks said:

Trump is now threatening to assert his order under the IEEPA and claims he has the absolute right to do so.

Donald J. tRump, His Excellency, President for Life, Field Marshal, Club Champion of all Country Clubs, Master of Atlantic City, Game Show Host Hall of Fame, Holy Roman Emperor, Medal of Honor Winner, Lord of All the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Seas and Conqueror of The United States of America in General and of the Left Coast, San Francisco and Berkeley in Particular, and the last King of Scotland

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Another Bear

Wait one second there. Clearly Trump is the Chosen one.
BearNIt
Another Bear said:

Wait one second there. Clearly Trump is the Chosen one.
Chosen One for what is the question that must be answered?
Another Bear
The Chosen One...to eat ginormous fast food burgers and grovel in front of Putin.
sp4149
It's over!!! enough Hannity and Carlson lies and AG Barr pursuades Murdoch and now -

Shepard Smith is gone...

Fox News replaces it's top newscaster with Trump propaganda hosts.

New slogan - Really Far Unbalanced
bearister
concordtom
Why would any AG be meeting with a news channel owner???
dajo9
wifeisafurd said:

GBear4Life said:

Chris Wallace posing as a hard-hitting journalist but getting destroyed by William Jefferson Clinton trying to claim he was weak on terrorism (getting Bin Ladin)

Holy cr@p, Clinton said he authorized a full scale invasion on Afghanistan and was stopped by the CIA because they wouldn't certify what Bin Laden had done. That has my mind reeling. I'm sure everyone would have criticized Clinton, but arguably he could have changed the course of history. Arguably no 9/11. Looking at Clinton in a new light. Talk about having a pair.

It's a shame you didn't read Richard Clarke's book when it came out like I did. Conservative viewpoints reflect their chosen information sources rather than the truth. It's been that way my whole adult life.
American Vermin
bearister
I think it was Clarke that said after 9/11 he was in a meeting with Cheney regarding what the response would be and Cheney blurts out the plan to invade Iraq and Clarke says: "WHAT THE HELL DOES IRAQ HAVE TO DO WITH 9/11?"

*The Neocons saw taking Iraq as the key to controlling the Middle East and the establishment of The 1000 Year Pax Americana.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.