Hollywood

3,505 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by wifeisafurd
wifeisafurd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BBC News - The Hunt: Universal Pictures cancels film release https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49310259

sp4149
wifeisafurd said:

BBC News - The Hunt: Universal Pictures cancels film release https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49310259

From what little I have seen about the plot, it sounds like an 'update' of "The Most Dangerous Game", as such that has been in the public domain for years. I read that short story in high school for an English class my sophmore year. That English class was somewhat advanced, we also read "Silas Marner"; I was a bit surprised when my college roommates had to read that novel at Cal. My HS English teacher was very disappointed in our class's effort to find merit in that novel. His intent for that reading assignment was to expose us to a truly classic bad English novel...

AS far as The Hunt I see no need for cancellation of it's release unless they were threatened by the NRA.
Or if it's updated version uses assault weapons, graphically showing the horrendous carnage they are designed to inflict. If normal hunting rifles are used, it would be no different than many made for TV movies available continuously on cable.

FWIW Since assault weapons are repeatedly inflicting mass casualties, rather than ban them; simply classify them as weapons of mass destruction and they would automatically be banned.
Anarchistbear
"The Resistance," explained.
bearister
If Biden becomes POTUS, he should issue an Executive Order mandating that tRump Lite and Guilfoyle participate in a hybrid The Most Dangerous Game/Naked (Guilfoyle) and Afraid (tRump Lite) game show where Tier 1 Operators hunt them on an island. All participants to be armed with bows.

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
BearlyCareAnymore
wifeisafurd said:

I can't tell if this is supposed to be pro liberal, pro conservative or neither, but a movie of one political group hunting and killing another for fun sounds like a really bad idea.
wifeisafurd
OaktownBear said:

wifeisafurd said:

I can't tell if this is supposed to be pro liberal, pro conservative or neither, but a movie of one political group hunting and killing another for fun sounds like a really bad idea.
that was my perception. Really tone deaf.
Golden One
OaktownBear said:

Amen!
GBear4Life
When there is a rape scene in a movie, is that tone deaf or in poor taste? Homicides? Pedophilia? Lying?

Why is this all of a sudden out of bounds by virtue of a pretext that it would be really horrible in real life, and we don't want to possibly influence anybody?

90% of what's in a movie is something we don't want to emulate. Tell me what I'm missing here, please.
wifeisafurd
GBear4Life said:

When there is a rape scene in a movie, is that tone deaf or in poor taste? Homicides? Pedophilia? Lying?

Why is this all of a sudden out of bounds by virtue of a pretext that it would be really horrible in real life, and we don't want to possibly influence anybody?

90% of what's in a movie is something we don't want to emulate. Tell me what I'm missing here, please.
Some of us view some that as distasteful, but I see your point.

But with all the crap happening with mass shootings, political stuff like at UofVirgina, and the like, the mass shooting of groups for political reasons is hitting a little to close to home. It's like a movie about flying planes into buildings right after 911, or Nazi concentration camps right after WWII. No one but Hollywood would think that is a good idea.
GBear4Life
wifeisafurd said:

GBear4Life said:

But with all the crap happening with mass shootings, political stuff like at UofVirgina, and the like, the mass shooting of groups for political reasons is hitting a little to close to home. It's like a movie about flying planes into buildings right after 911, or Nazi concentration camps right after WWII. No one but Hollywood would think that is a good idea.
I see your point too which we all agree with: lots of acts that are portrayed fictionally in theater are, in practice, distasteful.

But so is an overwhelming number of acts portrayed by Hollywood and fiction writing. How is rape and other forms of brutal murder any less distasteful? Have you seen Hunger Games? Divergent? I bet the rape scene in Girl with the Dragon Tattoo was viewed as desirable by a relatively small but still significant amount of predators who have or have yet to actually prey on another person in that way. It certainly could be an insensitive artistic choice to feature it in a way that could be traumatic for some number of women who have experiences in that realm.

Moreover, the narrative of mass shootings being a battle between two competing ideologies is hogwash, perpetuated by a small but loud minority of media pundits, social media blowhards and basement dwellers. So tying it to the plot of this movie is incorrect also, in my view.
concordtom
OaktownBear said:

wifeisafurd said:

Totally agree.
By the way, do you know where I can pick up that new video game where we go on a hunt and kill Trump,McConnell and other assorted enemies? That sounds like fun.
concordtom
My church going rwnj Texas cousin's wife posted this as an excellent film she saw 6 years ago, said it is even more relevant today, and this time she's going to rewatch it with the kids!

Warning: Watch only if you care to become disturbed.

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/agendagrindingamerica/63749370
Golden One
concordtom said:

OaktownBear said:

wifeisafurd said:

Totally agree.
By the way, do you know where I can pick up that new video game where we go on a hunt and kill Trump,McConnell and other assorted enemies? That sounds like fun.
There you go again. You are obsessed with killing people whose views you disagree with. That kind of attitude is deplorable. You are one sick dude and you should seek psychiatric help. The moderators of this site should report you to the authorities and ban you from the board.
AunBear89
Triggered little snowflake. Do you need a safe space to cuddle your Trumpie Bear?
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
GBear4Life
Golden One said:

concordtom said:

OaktownBear said:

wifeisafurd said:

Totally agree.
There you go again. You are obsessed with killing people whose views you disagree with. That kind of attitude is deplorable. You are one sick dude and you should seek psychiatric help. The moderators of this site should report you to the authorities and ban you from the board.
There is a positive correlation between those that virtue signaling about Trump's character/civility and their own deplorablenesssssss....it's called projection...or maybe petulance...or both.
Golden One
AunBear89 said:

Triggered little snowflake. Do you need a safe space to cuddle your Trumpie Bear?
So you're OK with calling for killing people, so long as those people disagree with you? You are the biggest hypocrite on this site. Talk about snowflakes......
AunBear89
Golden One said:

AunBear89 said:

So you're OK with calling for killing people, so long as those people disagree with you? You are the biggest hypocrite on this site. Talk about snowflakes......

Is that an honest question? Or are you too busy clutching your pearls in faux outrage?

It's called hyperbole. It's a a rhetorical device. It's not terribly clever hyperbole- and it's very tone deaf, but do you really expect us to believe that you think that's really what Concord was advocating?

It's his gig. He's a former Republican who has the good sense to feel betrayed by the party he grew up in. To see it sell its soul for a useful idiot with a fancy signature that he will slap on anything put in front of him.

Just like your gig is to act outraged when others call you on your lack of tolerance for anyone not in your tribe.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
Yogi011
Golden One said:

AunBear89 said:

Well, I'm certainly not going to call for killing people that agree with me.
Golden One
BearNakedLadies said:

Golden One said:

AunBear89 said:

I got it. It's OK with you to call for killing people that don't agree with you. The hypocrisy of liberalism is beyond belief. On the one hand you decry mass shootings with guns, but on the other hand you openly advocate killing the President and the Majority Leader of the U.S. Senate. I guess one has to be a liberal to understand the logic of that.
Golden One
AunBear89 said:

Golden One said:

AunBear89 said:

It's called hyperbole. It's a a rhetorical device. It's not terribly clever hyperbole- and it's very tone deaf, but do you really expect us to believe that you think that's really what Concord was advocating?

There is no end to the length you'll go to defend the indefensible. I might accept that it's a rhetorical device, however tone deaf and outrageous it is, but the fact is that Concord has made that or very similar statements time and time again on this board. When he has repeated that refrain dozens of time, I think it's fair to conclude that he actually and sincerely means it. And that's just insane and hypocritical. But I'm not surprised that you would attempt to defend him. At least you're consistently hypocritical.
Yogi011
Golden One said:

BearNakedLadies said:

Golden One said:

AunBear89 said:

I got it. It's OK with you to call for killing people that don't agree with you.
Yes, that's exactly what I said. Those English classes were not wasted on you.
AunBear89
BearNakedLadies said:

Golden One said:

BearNakedLadies said:

Golden One said:

AunBear89 said:

I got it. It's OK with you to call for killing people that don't agree with you.

You will have to forgive GoldenOnenote - he is a stranger to nuance and subtlety of meaning. And he's a raging hypocrite who enjoys calling everyone who disagrees with him intolerant and hypocritical.
Golden One
AunBear89 said:

BearNakedLadies said:

Golden One said:

BearNakedLadies said:

Golden One said:

AunBear89 said:

You will have to forgive GoldenOnenote - he is a stranger to nuance and subtlety of meaning. And he's a raging hypocrite who enjoys calling everyone who disagrees with him intolerant and hypocritical.
You finally got it right. You're intolerant and hypocritical. Plus you want to kill people with whom you disagree. Nice. And sick.
Golden One
BearNakedLadies said:

Golden One said:

BearNakedLadies said:

Golden One said:

AunBear89 said:

You're one hateful Dude. At least I can communicate in English without calling for the killing of people.
sycasey
wifeisafurd said:

GBear4Life said:

A lot of this stuff gets written long before the movie makes it to screen, so usually the "in poor taste" nature of this kind of thing is just bad luck.
wifeisafurd
sycasey said:

wifeisafurd said:

GBear4Life said:

A lot of this stuff gets written long before the movie makes it to screen, so usually the "in poor taste" nature of this kind of thing is just bad luck.
I can see that in most cases. Maybe not this one.
sycasey
wifeisafurd said:

sycasey said:

wifeisafurd said:

GBear4Life said:

I can see that in most cases. Maybe not this one.
Dunno, I can see it as the normal grindhouse-style commentary on current political polarization, then having it suddenly rendered untenable because of the recent spate of politically-motivated mass shootings.

As I understand it, the "conservative" types are really the good guys in the movie.
concordtom
Golden One said:

concordtom said:

OaktownBear said:

wifeisafurd said:

Totally agree.

The comment was in line with the theme of the film this thread was about and was intended as satire only.

Further nod to the issue of video games and gun violence relationship, which gets debated.

There used to be a :sarc: sarcasm icon many of us used as a disclaimer.

As I have posted numerous times, I do not condone or encourage violence of any sort. I am a pacifist.

I agree with you, though. I am one sick dude. Sick of Trump and anyone who condones him and his ruinous ways.

Vote him out, please.
No :sarc: there!
GBear4Life
AunBear89 said:

Some serious psychological projection there bruh
concordtom
AunBear89 said:

Golden One said:

AunBear89 said:

Is that an honest question? Or are you too busy clutching your pearls in faux outrage?

It's his gig. He's a former Republican who has the good sense to feel betrayed by the party he grew up in. To see it sell its soul for a useful idiot with a fancy signature that he will slap on anything put in front of him.

Just like your gig is to act outraged when others call you on your lack of tolerance for anyone not in your tribe.

Thank you.
You get me.
AunBear89
GBear4Life said:

AunBear89 said:

...said the master projector and No. 1 BI Fanboi of the Projector in Chief.
GBear4Life
AunBear89 said:

GBear4Life said:

AunBear89 said:

...said the master projector and No. 1 BI Fanboi of the Projector in Chief.
I guess if you can haphazardly ascribe the same negative traits in others, the negative behavior you engage in is averse to criticism?

You are personifying precisely the traits in Trump that you moralize and pontificate about.
concordtom
Golden One said:

AunBear89 said:

Yo!
Stop!
I didn't call for killing anyone!

I spoke of a video game.
This is actually one area where trump and I align. We both believe playing such murderous games conditions the brain, softens it on a very serious issue.

Let me say this clearly for you to hear: political assassinations would be a horrible horrible thing for this country. Would spawn retaliations and be tremendously destabilizing!!

I'm sure the NRA has an lobby arm that also defends the video game industry. If you have any grandsons, sit down and play some of the very realistic "games" they no doubt have in their collection.

I'm sorry I was not clever enough for the irony and interweaving of these issues was not more clear to you.
calbearinamaze
It was just silly (and gutless) to halt the distribution of "The Hunt".

Next you'll tell me that both The Manchurian Candidate and Life of Brian are totally banned.

There have been a few very harsh comments in this thread (not there's anything wrong with that)
but just remember

If you believe in forever
Then life is just a one-night stand
If there's a rock and roll heaven
Well you know they've got a hell of a band
concordtom
Oh, you think everything is okay if it's art or entertainment?
Freedom of speech and expression, right?

Honest question here:
Would it be okay if we had a simulator shoot em up video game with a realistic floor map/model of the US Capitol and it's House and Senate buildings which flak the capitol on the right and left?
How about if we included the same for the Supreme Court, right behind the Capitol. A shooter could score lots of points if it were rehearsed over and over again.
The game would be even more realistic if it included the tunnels which connect all the above. I know them. I used to work there.

And how about the same for the White House grounds, and the VP residence up Mass Ave.
Might as well also include all the DC political offices. So many targets.
What do you think of that?

My wife came home and told me about a company their investors are looking at that does just this (well, not the targets I listed). A realistic combat game with VR goggles and a multi-directional treadmill so that players/shooters could realistically move thru a combat site. A specifically programmed combat site.
The number one investor? US Military.
Think Fallujah.

We train our brains so that we can act.
Our thoughts translate to action.

GoldenOne is onto something when he criticizes me.
My satire is protected under the First Amendment. But he's not wrong.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.