who is responsible and who will have to pay?

3,467 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BearlyCareAnymore
BearlyCareAnymore
How long do you want to ignore this user?
going4roses said:

OaktownBear said:

going4roses said:

https://sfist.com/2019/11/12/gilroy-garlic-festival-shooting-lawsuit/

So will their case get any traction?

Depends on the facts. I'd say they had a duty to provide reasonable security. The question is whether they did

I see. Next thought does the expectation reasonable security apply to the house party gone wrong... in that case are both the party promoters and the homeowners responsible?
Why would homeowners be responsible for security at a party that they don't know about and is against the terms of the contract with the renter? Would you think a regular landlord is responsible for security at a party that a tenant has? Why would short term rental be different? If they were renting the home out as an event space, MAYBE.

The garlic festival = the renter. It's their event. They are responsible for security.
concordtom
At first blush, I think it's a goddam joke that the house owner, AirBnB, or the Orinda police be held liable for ANYTHING at all.
going4roses
Rental "space" ... short term rental big enough to throw parties with prior transgressions would reach any level of culpability ?
Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
going4roses
concordtom said:

At first blush, I think it's a goddam joke that the house owner, AirBnB, or the Orinda police be held liable for ANYTHING at all.

Well those are mostly likely the only parties with any $$$
Anarchistbear
Police logs:
9:19, call about loud party at address
10:25, call about loud party at address
10:49, 911 calls about shooting
11:01, cops on scene

Not good
concordtom
going4roses said:

concordtom said:

So what.
How much money a person has does not tip the scales of justice, of culpability.
concordtom
going4roses said:

Rental "space" ... short term rental big enough to throw parties with prior transgressions would reach any level of culpability ?
Use the "Reasonable Man" thought process.
Was it "reasonable" for the owner who rented his place to think that there would be a party with 100 people, burn-outs with cars in the street, and a person showing up with heavy weaponry who would use it?

NO. There are thousands upon thousands of homes, large and small, rented on this short-term basis in every state every year. And 100 people do not show up to AirBnB parties and start shooting. Not in my wildest dreams would I have thought this would happen in my hometown.
Give me a break.
End of discussion.

I mean, go ahead and discuss. Try to convince me otherwise. You're going to have a very tough time.
concordtom
Anarchistbear said:

Police logs:

Not good
They were conducting police business at a different location.
It's not like they were at a strip joint, or playing cards.
This was no dereliction of duty.

Sometimes (often times) a police officer or any other official or person, has to make a choice about which item to respond to. That's just the way that it goes.
Why would anyone suspect that complaints of a loud party would result in big time shooting from outsiders. The type of loud party that happens in Orinda is a bunch of teenagers playing music too loudly with no parents in charge.
going4roses
I was just pointing out that fact. No more.

Simmer down
BearlyCareAnymore
going4roses said:

concordtom said:

What does the fact that they have money have anything to do with anything? They are at fault or they aren't. What do you think they did wrong?
concordtom
going4roses said:

Simmer down
Okay.
I'm calm.
I just heard those lawsuit reports and I'm like, "For What?"
BearlyCareAnymore
going4roses said:

What do you want them to do? Hire security for every renter in case they decide to hold a party against the terms of the rental agreement?

If you rent a vacation rental, do you want a security guard outside your door 24/7?

What is the REASONABLE thing the owner should have done that they didn't do. Anyone after the fact can say "gee if we had done this, we could have stopped it." That doesn't make it reasonable for every renter in the world to do that.

As I said, you have a good heart and you want victims to get relief, but it isn't the responsibility of every party with money in the vicinity of the issue to pay. The person responsible is the shooter. If they don't have money, that puts these victims in the same position as most people that have misfortune happen to them. Unfortunately having to absorb the results of the misfortune on their own.

Look, when somebody goes to a house party, they are not expecting massive amounts of security to be onsite to stop someone who shows up with a gun and shoots people. They knew when they walked in the door that there was no metal detector or search for weapons. They knew they were going into a place with lots of people in a crowded environment drinking alcohol. They knew drugs were likely being consumed. They know that fights break out at these things. They could have gone home. They chose to take the risk because they wanted to have fun. THEY KNEW MUCH, MUCH MORE ABOUT THE RISK THAN THE OWNER AND AIRBNB WHO DIDN'T EVEN KNOW A PARTY WAS GOING ON. They were onsite without permission of the owner or Airbnb. The renter allowed them onsite in direct violation to their rental agreement. The owner and Airbnb have no duty to them. That is not to say they deserve to die. That is to say that the right person to pay is the shooter and I hope every dime he ever earns for the rest of his life goes to pay their families. But they were more responsible for the risk to themselves than the owner or Airbnb. They may get a settlement to make the story go away.

Again. Pretend you are an owner of a property that is renting it out as a vacation rental. A renter comes to you to rent your property signing an agreement that they will have no more than 13 people at the property. What concrete measures do you think you should take to stop a party and a shooting? Not vague notions of they "should be responsible". The law is to get money from a defendant you have to show they NEGLIGENTLY did or did not do something that would have stopped the damages from occurring. What steps do you think you should take that will be required of EVERY SINGLE PERSON OR BUSINESS who wants to rent a vacation home?
going4roses
concordtom said:

going4roses said:

Simmer down
Okay.
I'm calm.
I just heard those lawsuit reports and I'm like, "For What?"

Right right ... I'm not bringing the lawsuit lol
going4roses
https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/11/13/orinda-halloween-shooting-property-owners-had-been-charging-800-for-large-parties-according-to-new-records/

Hmm
going4roses
Quick take: Perhaps a policy analysis would be in order to see what changes are feasible/viable.

Anarchistbear
concordtom said:

Anarchistbear said:

Police logs:

Not good

Sometimes (often times) a police officer or any other official or person, has to make a choice about which item to respond to. That's just the way that it goes.
Why would anyone suspect that complaints of a loud party would result in big time shooting from outsiders. The type of loud party that happens in Orinda is a bunch of teenagers playing music too loudly with no parents in charge.

That may or may not be a reasonable defense. Who is "they"? How many patrol cars are allocated in Orinda on Halloween and what police business apparently occupied all of them. What is the normal response to complaints like this?
BearlyCareAnymore
going4roses said:

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/11/13/orinda-halloween-shooting-property-owners-had-been-charging-800-for-large-parties-according-to-new-records/

Hmm
1. They had stopped renting the house for groups of up to 30 months prior after police had made them aware of the law (which they should have already been aware of). It is irrelevant to the current situation. It might have been relevant had the policy still been in place.

2. The language is being taken out of context. When a restaurant says they have a table for a "party of 4" that doesn't mean they expect you to have a party at the table. You are a party of 4. They weren't renting the house to have a big bash. They were renting the house for parties, in other words, groups, with a lot of people, or a "large party".

3. If they had rented the house for the purpose of the renter having a large scale party, I'd absolutely agree that they might have some culpability. They weren't. If you read the article you will see that they made all the changes the police and neighbors requested and had not had an issue since.
concordtom
OaktownBear said:

going4roses said:

What do you want them to do? Hire security for every renter in case they decide to hold a party against the terms of the rental agreement?

If you rent a vacation rental, do you want a security guard outside your door 24/7?

What is the REASONABLE thing the owner should have done that they didn't do. Anyone after the fact can say "gee if we had done this, we could have stopped it." That doesn't make it reasonable for every renter in the world to do that.

As I said, you have a good heart and you want victims to get relief, but it isn't the responsibility of every party with money in the vicinity of the issue to pay. The person responsible is the shooter. If they don't have money, that puts these victims in the same position as most people that have misfortune happen to them. Unfortunately having to absorb the results of the misfortune on their own.

Look, when somebody goes to a house party, they are not expecting massive amounts of security to be onsite to stop someone who shows up with a gun and shoots people. They knew when they walked in the door that there was no metal detector or search for weapons. They knew they were going into a place with lots of people in a crowded environment drinking alcohol. They knew drugs were likely being consumed. They know that fights break out at these things. They could have gone home. They chose to take the risk because they wanted to have fun. THEY KNEW MUCH, MUCH MORE ABOUT THE RISK THAN THE OWNER AND AIRBNB WHO DIDN'T EVEN KNOW A PARTY WAS GOING ON. They were onsite without permission of the owner or Airbnb. The renter allowed them onsite in direct violation to their rental agreement. The owner and Airbnb have no duty to them. That is not to say they deserve to die. That is to say that the right person to pay is the shooter and I hope every dime he ever earns for the rest of his life goes to pay their families. But they were more responsible for the risk to themselves than the owner or Airbnb. They may get a settlement to make the story go away.

Again. Pretend you are an owner of a property that is renting it out as a vacation rental. A renter comes to you to rent your property signing an agreement that they will have no more than 13 people at the property. What concrete measures do you think you should take to stop a party and a shooting? Not vague notions of they "should be responsible". The law is to get money from a defendant you have to show they NEGLIGENTLY did or did not do something that would have stopped the damages from occurring. What steps do you think you should take that will be required of EVERY SINGLE PERSON OR BUSINESS who wants to rent a vacation home?
If they want to sue somebody, sue the NRA and Donald Trump for not passing Gun Control Laws.
Sue the GOP for their obstruction to more sensible laws in the face of campaign contributions.
Sue the gun manufacturers.

Hey, there's a whole lot more money over there!!!!
concordtom
going4roses said:

Hmm
Sounds like (from the headline along - didn't read your link) they knew how to make money.
Rent to people looking to throw big parties.
But still... Nobody expects a gunman to show up!!!!

The neighbors would have a case to sue the owners if they were repeatedly disturbing the neighborhood!!
concordtom
Anarchistbear said:

concordtom said:

Anarchistbear said:

Police logs:

Not good

That may or may not be a reasonable defense. Who is "they"? How many patrol cars are allocated in Orinda on Halloween and what police business apparently occupied all of them. What is the normal response to complaints like this?
Have you ever lived in Orinda?
I worked graveyard in San Leandro in college and drove home at 4am every morning.
There were the cops in the Blacks parking lot (okay, it was Liquor Barn by then) waiting and watching for anyone. I drove a ****ty old Dodge Dart. And they'd follow me all the way down Moraga Way, one time pulling me over for no reason. I laughed at them and told them I saw them there EVERY night.

Orinda doesn't need even 2 cops.
That's hyperbole, but makes the point.
BearlyCareAnymore
Anarchistbear said:

concordtom said:

Anarchistbear said:

Police logs:

Not good

Quote:

When shots rang out at a wild Halloween house party at 114 Lucille Way, leaving five dead, the city's only two patrol officers were in Oakland recovering a stolen car and didn't get to the scene until 10 minutes after the massacre, according to call logs obtained by this news organization.
I think it is safe to say that "loud party" complaints at 9:00 and 10:00 are not highest priority on Halloween night.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.