What "Progressives" Created in a Once Great City

6,380 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by going4roses
Golden One
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.city-journal.org/the-truth-about-homelessness-in-san-francisco?utm_source=City+Journal+Update&utm_campaign=97396550fb-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2020_08_13_05_12&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_6c08930f2b-97396550fb-109315733
bearister
....and when the pandemic economy creates massive homelessness in the sh@ithole states that support tRump, they will buy them all one way bus tickets to the SF Bay Area
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
sycasey
Let's be honest . . . conservatives never thought San Francisco was a great city.
AunBear89
sycasey said:

Let's be honest . . . conservatives never thought San Francisco was a great city.

Yeah. Particularly GoldenOnenote. He hates everyone and everything California. He's a hateful, confused, cranky old MAGAt.
AunBear89
And I am SHOCKED that a conservative think tank would have negative things to say about San Francisco/California.
okaydo
Golden One said:

https://www.city-journal.org/the-truth-about-homelessness-in-san-francisco?utm_source=City+Journal+Update&utm_campaign=97396550fb-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2020_08_13_05_12&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_6c08930f2b-97396550fb-109315733

Wow. Progressives really Trump'd San Francisco. They turned something that was great and made it into something resembling a Third World Country.
Golden One
sycasey said:

I did. Used to go there a lot. Not anymore.
Golden One
bearister said:

....and when the pandemic economy creates massive homelessness In the sh@ithole states that support tRump, they will buy them all one way bus tickets to the SF Bay Area
Don't hold your breath waiting for that to happen. Nice way to avoid facing up to the growing problem in San Francisco, however.
Golden One
okaydo said:

Golden One said:

Wow. Progressives really Trump'd San Francisco. They turned something that was great and made it into something resembling a Third World Country.
Not sure about the "Trump'd" comment, but there's no doubt that progressives "turned something that was great and made it into something resembling a Third World Country". Sad, very sad. Now they're trying hard to do the same to Portland, Seattle, Minneapolis, New York City, Chicago, etc. We need to do all we can to keep them out of leadership positions in Washington, D.C.
BearForce2

Progressive living brought to you by Gavin Newsom and Nancy Pelosi.
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
bearister
Golden One said:

bearister said:

....and when the pandemic economy creates massive homelessness In the sh@ithole states that support tRump, they will buy them all one way bus tickets to the SF Bay Area
Don't hold your breath waiting for that to happen. Nice way to avoid facing up to the growing problem in San Francisco, however.

Well, they will have homeless like nothing they had pre pandemic. If they are not going to buy them one way bus tickets, what is their response going to be?

I did watch the video. It is compelling. Interesting that the former homeless addict now sober and working for the Salvation Army estimates, based on his experience, that 85% of the homeless have addiction issues.

Other than forcibly removing people from the environment and then treating their mental illness and substance abuse, I don't see what the solution is. Most of the homeless are not going to make that choice with what is left of their free will. I suppose that a day will come when the problem hits an inflection point and there will be a severe backlash and Dodge City will get cleaned up by whatever means it takes. The other option is to secede Baghdad by the Bay to a million person homeless encampment.
I don't see that happening.

The Conservatives, with their absurd tax policies that keep exponentially increasing the gap between the haves and the have nots, lack the moral standing to have any persuasiveness on the issue. I'd love to be a fly on the wall at the Men's Grill in some of the clubs to hear what their "off the record" solution to the problem is.
Golden One
bearister said:

Golden One said:

bearister said:

Well, they will have homeless like nothing they had pre pandemic. If they are not going to buy them one way bus tickets, what is their response going to be?

I did watch the video. It is compelling. Interesting that the former homeless addict now sober and working for the Salvation Army estimates, based on his experience, that 85% of the homeless have addiction issues.

Other than forcibly removing people from the environment and then treating their mental illness and substance abuse, I don't see what the solution is. Most of the homeless are not going to make that choice with what is left of their free will. I suppose that a day will come when the problem hits an inflection point and there will be a severe backlash and Dodge City will get cleaned up by whatever means it takes. The other option is to secede Baghdad by the Bay to a million person homeless encampment.

I doubt that homelessness will significantly increase in what you call "sh@ithole" cities after the pandemic-caused economic downturn subsides. Unless citizens there are besieged by mental illness and drug abuse, they will return to productive employment and not live on the streets. For years San Francisco has been inviting homeless from other areas of the state and country by its permissive policies, such as ignoring their encampments, providing free drugs and alcohol, giving them money, etc. Combine those benefits with the mild year-round climate and you get what we're seeing there. What SF needs is an organized mental health program, drug treatment, and tough love. Doing that successfully will require significant state cooperation and financial support. The "progressives" that have been running the state have been of no help in solving the problem. They all just seem to look the other way.
bearister
" ..they will return to productive employment and not live on the streets."

Maybe, but some of the jobs people had are never coming back, so we shall see. I hung out in the Tenderloin from '76-'79 when I was at Hastings. It was an eye opener even then compared to hanging around Cal for 4 years. I could never have imagined today's conditions back then. Both my kids live in The City. I avoid driving through the encampments when I go over to visit them.
okaydo
Oh wow. Reagan was responsible for homelessness.

https://www.sfweekly.com/news/the-great-eliminator-how-ronald-reagan-made-homelessness-permanent/
Golden One
okaydo said:

Oh wow. Reagan was responsible for homelessness.

https://www.sfweekly.com/news/the-great-eliminator-how-ronald-reagan-made-homelessness-permanent/
LOL!!
sycasey
Golden One said:

sycasey said:

I see. And during this period in history the city was not ruled by progressives? When was that?
82gradDLSdad
bearister said:

Golden One said:

bearister said:

The Conservatives, with their absurd tax policies that keep exponentially increasing the gap between the haves and the have nots, lack the moral standing to have any persuasiveness on the issue. I'd love to be a fly on the wall at the Men's Grill in some of the clubs to hear what their "off the record" solution to the problem is.

"Other than forcibly removing people from the environment and then treating their mental illness and substance abuse, I don't see what the solution is"

This is the solution. It's not legal now but it will be or SF and places like it will be overrun. I use to joke that the solution was to build colonies in eastern Nevada/western Utah. Now I don't think that idea is such a joke.

Born and raised in SF and as I've mentioned several times my wife and I have walked thousands of miles in SF the last 7 years. It's gotten a lot worse. Republicans would have done no better. It's going to take a special group of people to adequately address this.
Golden One
sycasey said:

Golden One said:

sycasey said:

I see. And during this period in history the city was not ruled by progressives? When was that?
George Christopher, John Shelley, and Frank Jordan were all fairly moderate mayors of San Francisco, and the Board of Supervisors was a lot less radical than it is today. You may not have been around then.
sycasey
Golden One said:

sycasey said:

Golden One said:

sycasey said:

George Christopher, John Shelley, and Frank Jordan were all fairly moderate mayors of San Francisco, and the city council was a lot less radical than it is today. You may not have been around then.
I remember Frank Jordan. Even at that time most conservatives considered San Francisco unbearably liberal. Shelley was mayor during the Summer of Love. You sure older people didn't think the city was falling apart then?

SF isn't that much more progressive than it ever was. You just got old.
Anarchistbear
New York, DC, have worse numbers of homeless. The difference is they have beds for them; San Francisco has beds for 40% of them.
going4roses
This is a good work on the topic of homelessness

https://books.google.com/books?hl=en&lr=&id=la-zIc6eVo8C&oi=fnd&pg=PR7&dq=Blau+j+homeless&ots=3g6qqDJIxM&sig=jtG0ri7bP7g7RyUEQDx0B7Uf_YU#v=onepage&q=Blau%20j%20homeless&f=false

This country(government and those in power) made clear decisions which made the homeless situation needlessly worse that it should be.

Personal responsibility has nothing to do with depressed wages so low to point that working 40 hrs a week in many cases will not provide basic substance.
bearister
Anarchistbear said:

New York, DC, have worse numbers of homeless. The difference is they have beds for them; San Francisco has beds for 40% of them.

I think once you have a bed for everyone, it is legal to get homeless off the street. I think that is what that court decision says (but DA in SF will not enforce that). In Las Vegas the homeless started spreading out all over and using that court decision as a shield...but then Las Vegas countered by offering a bed for everyone.

Las Vegas bans homeless people from sleeping on the street | Las Vegas | The Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/nov/07/las-vegas-homeless-sleeping-street-ban
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/nov/07/las-vegas-homeless-sleeping-street-ban
calpoly
Golden One said:

bearister said:

Okay Golden Shower, how would you solve the problem of homelessness?
Anarchistbear
bearister said:

Anarchistbear said:

I think once you have a bed for everyone, it is legal to get homeless off the street. I think that is what that court decision says (but DA in SF will not enforce that). In Las Vegas the homeless started spreading out all over and using that court decision as a shield...but then Las Vegas countered by offering a bed for everyone.

There are also no more empty spaces in the city so even though the visible numbers look staggering it is mostly because they are visible. Real numbers aren't that much greater than historical
bearister
drizzlybears brother
BearForce2 said:

And maybe a failing economic system? You can get rid of all of the Gavin Newsoms and Nancy Pelosis, but that won't rid you of the homeless.

Your general solution for homelessness?
Golden One
sycasey said:

Golden One said:

sycasey said:

Golden One said:

sycasey said:

George Christopher, John Shelley, and Frank Jordan were all fairly moderate mayors of San Francisco, and the city council was a lot less radical than it is today. You may not have been around then.
I remember Frank Jordan. Even at that time most conservatives considered San Francisco unbearably liberal. Shelley was mayor during the Summer of Love. You sure older people didn't think the city was falling apart then?

Your memory is either really bad or your fooling yourself. San Francisco has never been more liberal than it is today or has been over the past 20 years.
Golden One
Anarchistbear said:

bearister said:

Anarchistbear said:

There are also no more empty spaces in the city so even though the visible numbers look staggering it is mostly because they are visible. Real numbers aren't that much greater than historical
Oh, come now. The number of homeless in San Francisco is much more than double what it was 10 years ago.
BearForce2
drizzlybears brother said:

BearForce2 said:

And maybe a failing economic system? You can get rid of all of the Gavin Newsoms and Nancy Pelosis, but that won't rid you of the homeless.

Your general solution for homelessness?

Why don't you challenge your elected Democrat leaders who've been in office for ages to address the problems? You know, government leaders, who are supposed to deal with this in their 9-5 jobs.
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
sycasey
Golden One said:

sycasey said:

Golden One said:

sycasey said:

Golden One said:

sycasey said:

Your memory is either really bad or your fooling yourself. San Francisco has never been more liberal than it is today or has been over the past 20 years.

The world becomes more liberal over time. Some people just don't move with it.
Golden One
calpoly said:

Golden One said:

bearister said:

Well CP Dropout, it isn't my job to solve the problem of homelessness, but since you asked, here are some of the things I'd do:

1. Stop giving the homeless free drugs and alcohol.
2. Stop providing them free housing.
3. Institutionalize them. Place the addicts in rehab facilities, and place the mentally ill in mental facilities.
4. If there isn't enough capacity to fully implement (3), use excess jail space and/or build temporary facilities
in non-populated areas.
5. Give them jobs when they're released from being institutionalized.

I realize that leftists don't support any of the above, but then again, they've largely caused the problem in the first place, so what do they know?
kelly09
calpoly said:

Golden One said:

bearister said:

Cal Polyp
calpoly
Golden One said:

calpoly said:

Golden One said:

bearister said:

Well CP Dropout, it isn't my job to solve the problem of homelessness, but since you asked, here are some of the things I'd do:

3. Institutionalize them. Place the addicts in rehab facilities, and place the mentally ill in mental facilities.
4. If there isn't enough capacity to fully implement (3), use excess jail space and/or build temporary facilities
in non-populated areas.

I realize that leftists don't support any of the above, but then again, they've largely caused the problem in the first place, so what do they know?
Why isn't it your job to solve all the problems with capitalism (homelessness)? You certainly like to point out its virtues but will neglect all of its affects.

Well Golden Shower, the first two items on your list does not happen, the next two means that YOU are likely committing citizens against their rights free will. Unfortunately you do not understand the cause of the problem and are clueless as to a solution.

dimitrig
Golden One said:

calpoly said:

Golden One said:

bearister said:

in non-populated areas.

#5 sounds like a handout and will you raise tax to pay for #3 and #4?

bearister
"I remember Frank Jordan."

" On the morning of October 27, 1995, Mayor Frank Jordan was visited at his Fillmore Street home by disc jockeys Mark Thompson and Brian Phelps. The DJs were up from Los Angeles to support KRQR, the local station that carried their morning drive time show. They suggested that the mayor - who was less than two weeks away from a hotly contested election to retain his office for a second term - allow the DJs to join him in the shower. Egged on by his wife Wendy Paskin, the mayor said, "Why not?" The shower was broadcast live on the radio and captured on film by San Francisco photographer Billy Douglas. While some were amused, most San Franciscans thought the mayor looked like an ass after Douglas' photo was published on the front page of the afternoon paper. Whether or not Jordan, who lost his re-election bid to Willie Brown, owes his failure to this act of bad judgement so close to the election is anybody's guess. However, Douglas says that Mayor Brown still takes him to dinner now and again." MisterSF

Frank Jordan - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Jordan
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Jordan
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.