What "Progressives" Created in a Once Great City

6,372 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by going4roses
dimitrig
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BearForce2 said:

drizzlybears brother said:

BearForce2 said:

Progressive living brought to you by Gavin Newsom and Nancy Pelosi.

And maybe a failing economic system? You can get rid of all of the Gavin Newsoms and Nancy Pelosis, but that won't rid you of the homeless.

Your general solution for homelessness?

Why don't you challenge your elected Democrat leaders who've been in office for ages to address the problems? You know, government leaders, who are supposed to deal with this in their 9-5 jobs.

Typical Republican response. We saw this when the Dems controlled the White House and Congress. Obviously, since they were in charge they were responsible for all the problems. So there is a change and the GOP has control. Their response: lower taxes. Anything else like a health care plan or plan to reduce the deficit? Nope. Big whiff on those. However, lining pockets of the rich? Mission accomplished.
Anarchistbear
Golden One said:

Anarchistbear said:

bearister said:

Anarchistbear said:

New York, DC, have worse numbers of homeless. The difference is they have beds for them; San Francisco has beds for 40% of them.

I think once you have a bed for everyone, it is legal to get homeless off the street. I think that is what that court decision says (but DA in SF will not enforce that). In Las Vegas the homeless started spreading out all over and using that court decision as a shield...but then Las Vegas countered by offering a bed for everyone.

There are also no more empty spaces in the city so even though the visible numbers look staggering it is mostly because they are visible. Real numbers aren't that much greater than historical
Oh, come now. The number of homeless in San Francisco is much more than double what it was 10 years ago.

No.

"Homelessness figures are notoriously squishy, but San Francisco officially reported 8,640 homeless residents in 2002a peakand almost as many in 2019, suggesting that, even as these numbers have fluctuated over the years, the high-water marks have been consistent. Yet a new wave of development in the city has brought the unhoused into public view. "The Dogpatch and Mission Bay area used to be fields and warehouses," Kenneth Kim, a senior director at Glide, said. "For a long time, no one really saw the people in tents therethey'd be in meadows or squatting in unused commercial buildings." Now such areas are filled with offices and condos, and the people who once lived there have no place to go."

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2020/06/01/a-window-onto-an-american-nightmare
AunBear89
Anarchistbear said:

Golden One said:

Anarchistbear said:

bearister said:

Anarchistbear said:

New York, DC, have worse numbers of homeless. The difference is they have beds for them; San Francisco has beds for 40% of them.

I think once you have a bed for everyone, it is legal to get homeless off the street. I think that is what that court decision says (but DA in SF will not enforce that). In Las Vegas the homeless started spreading out all over and using that court decision as a shield...but then Las Vegas countered by offering a bed for everyone.

There are also no more empty spaces in the city so even though the visible numbers look staggering it is mostly because they are visible. Real numbers aren't that much greater than historical
Oh, come now. The number of homeless in San Francisco is much more than double what it was 10 years ago.

No.

"Homelessness figures are notoriously squishy, but San Francisco officially reported 8,640 homeless residents in 2002a peakand almost as many in 2019, suggesting that, even as these numbers have fluctuated over the years, the high-water marks have been consistent. Yet a new wave of development in the city has brought the unhoused into public view. "The Dogpatch and Mission Bay area used to be fields and warehouses," Kenneth Kim, a senior director at Glide, said. "For a long time, no one really saw the people in tents therethey'd be in meadows or squatting in unused commercial buildings." Now such areas are filled with offices and condos, and the people who once lived there have no place to go."

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2020/06/01/a-window-onto-an-american-nightmare

Great information. Solid research. But a waste of time.

Righteous Righties go on instinct and truthiness and stuff their buddy posted on Facebook. Get out of here with your facts.
going4roses
The (more) visible poor
Golden One
calpoly said:

Golden One said:

calpoly said:

Golden One said:

bearister said:

....and when the pandemic economy creates massive homelessness In the sh@ithole states that support tRump, they will buy them all one way bus tickets to the SF Bay Area
Don't hold your breath waiting for that to happen. Nice way to avoid facing up to the growing problem in San Francisco, however.
Okay Golden Shower, how would you solve the problem of homelessness?
Well CP Dropout, it isn't my job to solve the problem of homelessness, but since you asked, here are some of the things I'd do:

1. Stop giving the homeless free drugs and alcohol.
2. Stop providing them free housing.
3. Institutionalize them. Place the addicts in rehab facilities, and place the mentally ill in mental facilities.
4. If there isn't enough capacity to fully implement (3), use excess jail space and/or build temporary facilities
in non-populated areas.
5. Give them jobs when they're released from being institutionalized.

I realize that leftists don't support any of the above, but then again, they've largely caused the problem in the first place, so what do they know?
Why isn't it your job to solve all the problems with capitalism (homelessness)? You certainly like to point out its virtues but will neglect all of its affects.

Well Golden Shower, the first two items on your list does not happen, the next two means that YOU are likely committing citizens against their rights free will. Unfortunately you do not understand the cause of the problem and are clueless as to a solution.

CPDropout, you are clueless, period. You like to create problems, not solve them. Typical leftist!
Golden One
Anarchistbear said:

Golden One said:

Anarchistbear said:

bearister said:

Anarchistbear said:

No.

Total B.S. Like all leftists, rather than face up to the problem, you chose to diminish it or deny its existence. That's why the problem in "progressilve" cities like San Francisco go unsolved.
Golden One
BearForce2 said:

BearForce2 said:

And maybe a failing economic system? You can get rid of all of the Gavin Newsoms and Nancy Pelosis, but that won't rid you of the homeless.

Why don't you challenge your elected Democrat leaders who've been in office for ages to address the problems? You know, government leaders, who are supposed to deal with this in their 9-5 jobs.

I'll bet you if one of these homeless tent encampments was set up outside the 9 foot wall surrounding Nancy Pelosi's mansion in SF, you'd see them go away very quickly. That's the way "progressives" operate. "What's OK for you is not OK for me."
Golden One
sycasey said:

Golden One said:

sycasey said:

Golden One said:

sycasey said:

Golden One said:

sycasey said:

Let's be honest . . . conservatives never thought San Francisco was a great city.
I did. Used to go there a lot. Not anymore.
I see. And during this period in history the city was not ruled by progressives? When was that?
George Christopher, John Shelley, and Frank Jordan were all fairly moderate mayors of San Francisco, and the city council was a lot less radical than it is today. You may not have been around then.
I remember Frank Jordan. Even at that time most conservatives considered San Francisco unbearably liberal. Shelley was mayor during the Summer of Love. You sure older people didn't think the city was falling apart then?

SF isn't that much more progressive than it ever was. You just got old.
Your memory is either really bad or your fooling yourself. San Francisco has never been more liberal than it is today or has been over the past 20 years.

The world becomes more liberal over time. Some people just don't move with it.
Thank God for that!!

Liberalism is a mental illness.
drizzlybears brother
BearForce2 said:

BearForce2 said:

I get it, you hate liberals. What's your idea for homelessness? You can't belittle other people's ideas if you have none of your own.
AunBear89

BearForce2 said:

BearForce2 said:

I get it, you hate liberals. What's your idea for homelessness? You can't belittle other people's ideas if you have none of your own.

Oh, yes he can! Just watch him. He's the master of it. Cuz liberalism is a mental illness.
AunBear89

BearForce2 said:

BearForce2 said:

Of course he can. It's the only thing he's got.
going4roses
Why are there homeless people? In America?

What are the root causes? In your opinion?

Data sources... neo liberal/conservative think tanks don't count. Who do you know personally that is homeless?
Golden One
going4roses said:

Why are there homeless people? In America?

What are the root causes? In your opinion?

Data sources... neo liberal/conservative think tanks don't count. Who do you know personally that is homeless?
I don't personally know anyone who is homeless. I don't pretend to understand all the root causes of homelessness. However, I believe that mental illness and drug addiction are major contributors. I also suspect that some of the homeless are unskilled, poorly educated, and unable to gain employment. Plus, some may just be lazy and unmotivated.

Liberalism is a mental illness.
AunBear89
Wow. Got it all figured out, huh? You believe? That's all you need - who needs facts and data when you believe?

Thank you for the conclusive proof that you are just a know-nothing blow hard.
drizzlybears brother
AunBear89 said:

Wow. Got it all figured out, huh? You believe? That's all you need - who needs facts and data when you believe?

well he did take a stab at an honest reply, and you responded with an insult. You sure showed him.
AunBear89

AunBear89 said:

well he did take a stab at an honest reply, and you responded with an insult. You sure showed him.

An honest reply would have begun and ended with "I don't know the causes of homelessness." Or, "I should educate myself before I spout off with uninformed and possibly biased beliefs."

But he basically said "I don't know the facts, but I know what I believe, and that's good enough for me."

An honest answer gets an honest reply. Bullshyte gets called out and serial bsers get insulted.
drizzlybears brother
AunBear89 said:

AunBear89 said:

An honest reply would have begun and ended with "I don't know the causes of homelessness." Or, "I should educate myself before I spout off with uninformed and possibly biased beliefs."

But he basically said "I don't know the facts, but I know what I believe, and that's good enough for me."

An honest answer gets an honest reply. Bullshyte gets called out and serial bsers get insulted.
Yeah, some people are just really hardheaded.
BearForce2
https://www.sfgate.com/living-in-sf/article/2020-San-Francisco-exodus-is-real-and-historic-15484785.php

The 2020 San Francisco exodus is real, and historic, report shows.

Zillow - Real estate inventory change from February to July 2020, in metro area and city proper.
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
Anarchistbear
Good news if true. It's the most boring city in the country and needs new blood. Getting rid of the tech holes would be a start.
dimitrig
BearForce2 said:

https://www.sfgate.com/living-in-sf/article/2020-San-Francisco-exodus-is-real-and-historic-15484785.php

The 2020 San Francisco exodus is real, and historic, report shows.

Zillow - Real estate inventory change from February to July 2020, in metro area and city proper.

Yeah, inventory went from super low to somewhat low. This could be because more people are selling but it could also be because fewer are buying. Need more stats to determine that. How are prices holding up?
BearForce2

BearForce2 said:

BearForce2 said:

It's the other way around, I don't hate liberals, I think they're nuts. The liberals hate the deplorables.
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
drizzlybears brother
BearForce2 said:

BearForce2 said:

BearForce2 said:

It's the other way around, I don't hate liberals, I think they're nuts. The liberals hate the deplorables.
Whats your idea for homelessness?
bearister

Hollywood's Apocalypse NOW: Rich and famous are fleeing in droves as liberal politics and coronavirus turn City of Dreams into cesspit plagued by junkies and violent criminals

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8631063/Hollywood-Apocalypse-rich-famous-fleeing-droves.html

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Anarchistbear
Helter Skelter! Helter Skelter!
okaydo
bearister said:

Hollywood's Apocalypse NOW: Rich and famous are fleeing in droves as liberal politics and coronavirus turn City of Dreams into cesspit plagued by junkies and violent criminals

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8631063/Hollywood-Apocalypse-rich-famous-fleeing-droves.html

Well, that is just wrong. It would be great if people left in droves. Because, like Berkeley, Hollywood is ******* expensive. Perhaps even more expensive.

I don't know if it was on this thread or elsewhere, but somebody pointed out that the problem is that gentrification has meant the building of expensive apartments in areas previously known for their homelessness. That homelessness hasn't changed, but that it's been harder to hide under the rug when it's at wealthy peoples' doorsteps. People don't want to see homeless people when they spend $3000+ a month on rent.

The same can be said about Hollywood area. (I live near Hollywood). It's where I lived growing up in the 80s and 90s.

In the 80s and 90s, it was an absolute sh*thole. There were like a zillion movies about Hollywood Blvd showcasing its trashiness back then, including of course Pretty Woman.

Here's a clip from the 1986 move Thrashin. From the 20 second mark you can see how the northwest corner of Hollywood and Highland looked back then -- pretty miserable.

This is how the northwest corner of Hollywood and Highland has looked for the past 20 years:

And here's how it'll look in a few years after another renovation:

In the 80s and 90s, the Hollywood area had gangs, drugs, homelessness, teen runaways, prostitution, abandoned buildings and grime.

Seriously -- I used to know the people pictured below.

Now, there is a little bit of homelessness and a little grime, but nothing compared to what it once was. Hollywood has become hella expensive and gentrified, like all places. The teen runaways and punks are gone and luxury is in. And expensive nightclubs and expensive apartment buildings.

There's a Trader Joe's and an Equinox gym steps from Hollywood and Vine.

There are *some* homeless tent areas. But it isn't really that much. I mean, more than anything, Hollywood Blvd is pretty dead nowadays.

There are going to be homeless people. They flock to tourist areas to make money. That's why Hollywood, Santa Monica and San Francisco has them.

The thing is, a lot of rich people have invested in Hollywood.

So -- like San Francisco -- they don't like seeing homeless people at their doorstep while spending big bucks on real estate.

Here's Netflix headquarters on Sunset Blvd about 1 mile from Hollywood and Vine. This area used to be pretty sh*tty and dangerous back in the day.

Here's the new building that Netflix is building across the street.

Here's the new building Viacom built a few blocks from Hollywood and Vine.

Yesterday was the 92nd birthday of Cal alum Louis Naidorf, who designed the Capitol Records building jusdt north of Hollywood and Vine.

This is how the Capitol Records building looked during the recent Black Lives Matter marches.

This is how the Capitol Records building will look in a few years if developers get their way.

Anyways, I filmed the video below of Hollywood Blvd on Sunday, June 7, around 10 am near Donald Trump's Hollywood Walk of Fame star. If you see boarded up buildings, it's because of the George Floyd protests.

Does it look disgusting?

bearister
If you don't have a home, what do you do?': Covid-19 highlights Texas homeless crisis

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/aug/17/texas-austin-covid-19-homeless-crisis?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
going4roses
https://kinder.rice.edu/urbanedge/2019/07/03/why-homelessness-going-down-houston-dallas

Informational piece on homelessness
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.