Official Senator Kamala Harris v. The Man from Glad Vice Presidential Debate Thread

8,839 Views | 120 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by B.A. Bearacus
dimitrig
How long do you want to ignore this user?
dimitrig said:

Tonight's big winner and possibly the next VP of the US is clear:

I also think he or she will do a much better job than the current administration.

B.A. Bearacus
okaydo
bearister said:

concordtom said:

She's not as good of a debater. I imagine she's been told to be soft rather than a grind, but I'd rather see her clean his clock. She hasn't done that well enough.

Trial attorneys come from a culture where it makes it difficult to stuff your opponent when you feel restricted by facts and the truth but the other side is not so bound. One of the principles of tRumpism is, "I said it, so it's true."

tRump (and by association, Pence) can "invent any reality" for most voters on most issues, and "all you will remember is that he provided his reasons, he didn't apologize, and his opponents called him a liar like they always do."
Bob Woodward, Rage at page 258 (quoting Scott Adam's book, Win Bigly: Persuasion in a World Where Facts Don't Matter)

*If the working class want to be, in effect, more tRump University enrollees, and lose their healthcare, Social Security and aid and abet the Top 1% getting richer through friendly tax treatment....go ahead, vote for tRump again. I'm going to do better than they are, so f@uck'em

Bearister, you're entitled to your own opinion. But you're not entitles to your own facts.
concordtom
dimitrig said:

LOL
concordtom
dimitrig said:

dimitrig said:

I also think he or she will do a much better job than the current administration.

Oh, god yes!
concordtom
okaydo said:

Bearister, you're entitled to your own opinion. But you're not entitles to your own facts.
That was such a creative line by Pence.
Shut the hell up, idiot.
wifeisafurd
concordtom said:

She's not as good of a debater. I imagine she's been told to be soft rather than a grind, but I'd rather see her clean his clock. She hasn't done that well enough.
She did what she was supposed to do. She hammered him on justice and on COVID. Those are both big issues for Biden voters.

What Pence does real well is make conservative views on the economics sound mainstream, and he thus made conservatives happy, and on the green deal and some other things out her on the defensive.

Both got their points in for their base, none really moved the needle on their candidates. Assuming the polls are not missing it, a draw (or close to a draw) is another day Trump losses.
going4roses
okaydo said:

This is so disrespectful
Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
B.A. Bearacus
concordtom
agree
concordtom
going4roses said:

okaydo said:

This is so disrespectful
who cares.
did they get their jollies off on it?
going4roses
concordtom said:

going4roses said:

okaydo said:

This is so disrespectful
who cares.
did they get their jollies off on it?

Wow ...
Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
concordtom
I mean, who cares about the "cleverness" of trying to call her out for some misunderstanding of some singer.

"Oh oh - she said LIVING, but he's actually dead. Let's mock her by leaving a ticket so everyone knows she made a mistake."

Like, that all seems very lame to me, at least as I understand it now.

She's a little older than me. We grew up in the same area. Shakur is a different generation.
Big C
dimitrig said:

Just my luck, a classic two minutes in US political debate history and I'm in my car, listening on the radio (couldn't hear any buzzing, btw). After I heard about it, I played the video for my little kids, who suddenly found interest in these debates.

The tables and floor of the SNL writers' room are already covered with drool, I guarantee it. So many possibilities...
okaydo
If you don't know the backstory of this:

Well, here's the backstory: Susan Page, the moderator, threw a party at her house for Seema Verma, who worked for Mike Pence in Indiana.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2019/01/meet-the-person-behind-trumps-war-on-medicaid/

B.A. Bearacus
Calls Harris a monster twice on the bottom video.

wifeisafurd
okaydo said:

If you don't know the backstory of this:

Well, here's the backstory: Susan Page, the moderator, threw a party at her house for Seema Verma, who worked for Mike Pence in Indiana.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2019/01/meet-the-person-behind-trumps-war-on-medicaid/

have to say moderators really are meaningless when they can't ask follow-uop questions. They basically ask a question which is ignored and the candidates say whatever talking points they have on the topic, and try to act like referees on who says what for how long and generally get ignored.
sycasey
wifeisafurd said:

Both got their points in for their base, none really moved the needle on their candidates. Assuming the polls are not missing it, a draw (or close to a draw) is another day Trump losses.
Pretty much. And the only thing anyone remembers is the fly, which is probably not good for Pence.
SBGold
He was at the superspreader Barrett event, I think next to Miller.
sycasey
Early reviews: Kamala won.

Unit2Sucks
The debate was boring and a waste of time. Fortunately it was also a missed opportunity for Pence to convince anyone to vote for Trump.

This is going to sound weird but even though Harris clearly won the debate, I think Pence performed slightly better, which I didn't expect. He is a pretty calm huckster and was effective in communicating the Trump's administrations baldfaced lies calmly and unemotionally. I think Harris held back a bit too much at times and really could have hammered him more. I guess the goal was to play it safe and avoid any bulletin board material that could possibly help the Trump campaign with the few remaining undecideds.

Unless there is a major shakeup, or widescale election interference, Trump has no path to victory at this point and last night did nothing to change that.
sycasey
Unit2Sucks said:

I guess the goal was to play it safe and avoid any bulletin board material that could possibly help the Trump campaign with the few remaining undecideds.
If you've got the ball and a two-score lead in the fourth quarter it's not time to start throwing deep. Play it safe and burn the clock.
okaydo
Unit2Sucks said:

The debate was boring and a waste of time. Fortunately it was also a missed opportunity for Pence to convince anyone to vote for Trump.

This is going to sound weird but even though Harris clearly won the debate, I think Pence performed slightly better, which I didn't expect. He is a pretty calm huckster and was effective in communicating the Trump's administrations baldfaced lies calmly and unemotionally. I think Harris held back a bit too much at times and really could have hammered him more. I guess the goal was to play it safe and avoid any bulletin board material that could possibly help the Trump campaign with the few remaining undecideds.

Unless there is a major shakeup, or widescale election interference, Trump has no path to victory at this point and last night did nothing to change that.

As I said before the debate, Pence has a way of making the person criticizing him look bad. (I always think of the Hamilton cast made to look sh*tty for wanting to address him and Joy Behar apologizing.)

I know nothing is scarier than Trump, but perhaps Pence is. I mean, at least Trump turns off by being outright terrible. But Pence can be scary by making it making being terrible look normal.

Harris held back because she didn't want to be the angry black woman stereotype.

Unfortunately, women and minorities are judged differently. And the white guy can do no wrong.

bearister
B.A. Bearacus said:

The FCC imposed a 7 second delay rule for live TV (I believe). I am shocked that Fox let Mayor Pete serve them a giant sh@it sandwich like that without snuffing it out. That is even funnier than that The Fly!
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
okaydo
bearister

BearForce2
Kamala Harris's Dishonesty on Abe Lincoln

Quote:

Harris claimed at the VP debate that Abraham Lincoln refused to nominate a candidate for Chief Justice in October 1864 because "Honest Abe said, it's not the right thing to do" and wanted the people to vote first.

Lincoln, of course, said no such thing. He sent no nominee to the Senate in October 1864 because the Senate was out of session until December. He sent a nominee the day after the session began, and Salmon P. Chase was confirmed the same day. And Lincoln wanted to dangle the nomination before Chase and several other potential candidates because he wanted them to campaign for him. Lincoln's priority was winning the election, which was necessary to win the war and he filled the vacancy at the first possible instant.

Kamala Harris is simply inventing history.
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
AunBear89
Cite your sources, Jughead.
bearister
Lincoln's Supreme Court vacancy: Fact-checking Kamala Harris's 'history lesson' - The Washington Post

https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2020/10/08/lincoln-supreme-court-kamala-harris/

" So Harris is mistaken about Lincoln's motivations in this regard. But there's one thing Lincoln definitely supported that Harris has yet to weigh in on: court-packing.
In 1863, he and Republicans in Congress passed a law to create a 10th Supreme Court seat for largely partisan reasons. All told, Lincoln appointed five justices in just four years and five weeks as president."

BearForce2
black flies matter
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
bearister
Diner: "Waiter! What is that fly doing in my soup?

Waiter: "Looks like the back stroke."

An Englishman, an Irishman and a Scotsman go into a pub. They all order pints, and a fly lands on top of each man's beer."

Englishman: "Barkeep! Draw me a fresh pint. There is a filthy beast in mine!"

Irishman: He just chugs his Guinness, fly and all.

Scotsman: "Laddie! Bring me a pair of tweezers!"

Where upon the Scotsman carefully uses the tweezers to gently pick the fly by his wings from his pint and then he screams at the fly:

"SPIT IT OUT YOU B@ASTARD!"

bearister
Frank Luntz has lost weight. He now looks how I imagine Chuck Norris will look in an open casket. Probably the same wig manufacturer an model number.
harebear
Unit2Sucks said:

With everything that has happened so far and with both DT and MP not agreeing to a peaceful transfer of power I can't imagine that there won't be widescale election interference. His path to victory is a bunch of authoritarian hijinks...Inciting violence and and chaos, having his AG send in DHS troops to seize ballots, have trump electors certified independent of the vote count process. Not to mention "cleansing" the voter roles of certain types of voters and hacking. Hopefully the margins are big enough to counter all of these things, but I'm not counting on it. Hope I'm wrong.

heartofthebear
AunBear89 said:

bearister said:

I don't blame her. Pence is probably filthy with the stuff.

Pence is allegedly religious. I wonder if he has a "tell" when he is lying?

Yes - when his lips are moving it's a safe bet he's lying. --Fact check has determined that, while true, this statement is misleading because there are many times his lips move and he isn't saying anything at all.
heartofthebear
blungld said:

okaydo said:

Yes, protect those sacred lives, unless they are protesting, or immigrating, or practicing a different religion, or live where there is oil, or are criminals they want to execute or are innocent african americans on death row in Alabama, or you are the birthing mother who may be at risk from labor, or any number of exceptions to how "sacred" life truly is, because ultimately that cell cluster is WAY more important than an actually formed human being who might be different from you. What a rock solid belief system!
FIFY

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.