Question about Stanford:

16,001 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by dimitrig
510Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Some Cal student needs to disguise him/herself as a furd "tour guide" and lead a group around while reciting that script word-for-word, or maybe record it and hand it out as an "audioguide".
OSKIesq
BearBoarBlarney;842491011 said:

I think a little history lesson is in order for our friend by way of Tennessee and Kentucky.

Stanford University was founded in 1891 by a lecherous NY merchant named Leland Stanford who came out to California and proceeded to make his millions on the backs of exploited immigrant Irish and Chinese. If you re-arrange the letters in the name Leland Stanford you'll see that it is actually an anagram for "Whore of the Big Four." Speaking of the Big-4, Leland Stanford was one of the big four Sacramento "robber barons" who helped bring the trancontinental railroad to fruition. To this day, at the museum on the Stanford campus there is a replica of the famous Golden Spike that was driven into the track at Promontory Point, Utah, where the Union Pacific line from the east met the Southern Pacific line from the west. To make a long story short, Leland married some broad named Jane Latham, they had a kid named Leland Jr who went overseas and contracted Typhoid Fever or Malaria and died. Leland Sr. then created "Leland Stanford Junior University" to honor his son, which is why it is alternately referred to as a "junior university" and "Dead Kid U." by Cal affiliates.

Rising from a shaky start and some near-bankruptcy years early on, Stanford proceeded to carve out a name for itself as a fairly decent private school filled with extremely ugly coeds and abjectly dorky male students. This model kept Stanford afloat through the 1940s, and then the early harbingers of Stanford's innate ability as an institution to whore itself out to industry started to take place in the 1950 with the creation of the Stanford Research Institute. SRI was a think-tank, but it was also a sanctioned place where Stanford could do a lot of its crazy-@ssed research without getting too much flak from the ivory tower types. Over time, the SRI model proved lucrative, and that willingness to partner with industry has continued right up to modern times with the tight links between Stanford, Google, Sun Micro, Cisco, Yahoo, and so forth. "Partner with industry" is actually just a euphemism that Stanford folks like to use to describe the fact that the institution likes to wear garters and high heels to bed when industry comes a-knockin for some action.

In recent times, for reasons I can't quite fathom, Stanford has become the nation's "it" school. It now accepts only 5% of the ugliest, dorkiest specimens you have ever seen, and then proceeds to treat these cavepigs as something special so that 96% of them graduate and go on to stellar lives of driving Volvos to youth soccer games in Mountain View. The irony of ironies is that Stanford folks like to refer to Cal students and graduates as "weenies." Yes, you heard correctly: there is a whole class of modern day college students who still use the word "weenie" to describe anything. I know, it's ludicrous, but that's considered sacred tradition on the Farm. Oh yes, the Farm -- that is the term of affection that Stanford folks like to use to refer to their huge campus, as it was initially Leland Stanford's stock farm before he decided to honor his dead son by building a campus in the middle of his sh!t encrusted land. As for Cal fans referring to it as "furd," I have no idea, although it does rhyme with turd and there was a whole lot of that on old Leland's stock farm. E-I-E-I-O.

One last thing, the motto of Stanford University is "Die Luft der Freiheit weht," which is German for something like "The wind of freedom blows." There is a lot of hot air blowing around Stanford, so the motto seems somewhat apropos. And if you've ever seen the Stanford coeds, you'd know that hot air is the only thing you'd ever want to be blown by down on the farm. I hope this little history lesson proves helpful should you one day make the decision to do all that is good and right in this universe and come to the University of California. As you now know, there's only one Cal, and it's in Berkeley. And there's only one Stanford, and thank heavens for that.

Bravo! Well said! This should be printed in the furd's brochure.
beeasyed

I think a little history lesson is in order for our friend by way of Tennessee and Kentucky.

Stanford University was founded in 1891 by a lecherous NY merchant named Leland Stanford who came out to California and proceeded to make his millions on the backs of exploited immigrant Irish and Chinese. If you re-arrange the letters in the name Leland Stanford you'll see that it is actually an anagram for "Whore of the Big Four." Speaking of the Big-4, Leland Stanford was one of the big four Sacramento "robber barons" who helped bring the trancontinental railroad to fruition. To this day, at the museum on the Stanford campus there is a replica of the famous Golden Spike that was driven into the track at Promontory Point, Utah, where the Union Pacific line from the east met the Southern Pacific line from the west. To make a long story short, Leland married some broad named Jane Latham, they had a kid named Leland Jr who went overseas and contracted Typhoid Fever or Malaria and died. Leland Sr. then created "Leland Stanford Junior University" to honor his son, which is why it is alternately referred to as a "junior university" and "Dead Kid U." by Cal affiliates.

Rising from a shaky start and some near-bankruptcy years early on, Stanford proceeded to carve out a name for itself as a fairly decent private school filled with extremely ugly coeds and abjectly dorky male students. This model kept Stanford afloat through the 1940s, and then the early harbingers of Stanford's innate ability as an institution to whore itself out to industry started to take place in the 1950 with the creation of the Stanford Research Institute. SRI was a think-tank, but it was also a sanctioned place where Stanford could do a lot of its crazy-@ssed research without getting too much flak from the ivory tower types. Over time, the SRI model proved lucrative, and that willingness to partner with industry has continued right up to modern times with the tight links between Stanford, Google, Sun Micro, Cisco, Yahoo, and so forth. "Partner with industry" is actually just a euphemism that Stanford folks like to use to describe the fact that the institution likes to wear garters and high heels to bed when industry comes a-knockin for some action.

In recent times, for reasons I can't quite fathom, Stanford has become the nation's "it" school. It now accepts only 5% of the ugliest, dorkiest specimens you have ever seen, and then proceeds to treat these cavepigs as something special so that 96% of them graduate and go on to stellar lives of driving Volvos to youth soccer games in Mountain View. The irony of ironies is that Stanford folks like to refer to Cal students and graduates as "weenies." Yes, you heard correctly: there is a whole class of modern day college students who still use the word "weenie" to describe anything. I know, it's ludicrous, but that's considered sacred tradition on the Farm. Oh yes, the Farm -- that is the term of affection that Stanford folks like to use to refer to their huge campus, as it was initially Leland Stanford's stock farm before he decided to honor his dead son by building a campus in the middle of his sh!t encrusted land. As for Cal fans referring to it as "furd," I have no idea, although it does rhyme with turd and there was a whole lot of that on old Leland's stock farm. E-I-E-I-O.

One last thing, the motto of Stanford University is "Die Luft der Freiheit weht," which is German for something like "The wind of freedom blows." There is a lot of hot air blowing around Stanford, so the motto seems somewhat apropos. And if you've ever seen the Stanford coeds, you'd know that hot air is the only thing you'd ever want to be blown by down on the farm. I hope this little history lesson proves helpful should you one day make the decision to do all that is good and right in this universe and come to the University of California. As you now know, there's only one Cal, and it's in Berkeley. And there's only one Stanford, and thank heavens for that.

could a Cal hacker put this on Furd's college admissions/About Us page??
burritos
Dark Reverie;842491031 said:

Don't sugarcoat it. Tell me how you really feel. 😂

Your such a good sport Dark. Because of you I don't think I can dislike Tennessee which is a shame because the one thing I need more of in my life is more schools to hate and root against. It helps relieve life's stresses. Oh well, guess I can always kick my cat more.
going4roses
beeasyed;842491121 said:

could a Cal hacker put this on Furd's college admissions/About Us page??

one of your best posts ever
68great
Dark Reverie;842490838 said:

I have noticed that many of you refer to Stanford as "Stanfurd" or "Furd." Is there any significance behind that? Enlighten me, please.

BearBoarBlarny gives a better description and sums up my hatred of stanfurd, but from my vantage point Cal has a long standing rivalry with stanfurd.
Here is a short quote from Wikipedia.

First played 123 years ago in 1892, it is the eighth most played college football rivalry game in the United States. Stanford leads the series record at 60–46–11 (wins–losses–ties). The game is typically played in late November or early December, and its location alternates between the two universities every year. In even-numbered years, the game is played at Berkeley, while in odd-numbered years it is played at Stanford. Stanford won the most recent Big Game at Memorial Stadium by a score of 38-17 following their win of 2013 at Stanford Stadium by a score of 63–13. The 50-point margin was the largest for either side in the history of the series.

[What the article does not say is that the Cal starting QB, Jared Goff was put out of the game with a cheap hit that did not get the stanfurd player, who was laughing on the sidelines, ejected. And after the game was clearly a blow out stanfurd continued to pour on the heat with a passing attack that was meant to set the record for greatest margin of victory.]

The rivalry is also fueled by the fact that (i) the two schools are fewer than 50 miles apart; (ii) many people in each school personally know people in the other school; (iii) one school is private and the other is public and (iv) most Big Games are fairly close (7 points or less) and there have been a large number won or saved in the last 60 seconds with a number won or saved on the last play of the game.

The competition is not limited to athletics, many professors compete in a friendly way. I was at a panel presentation given by the Cal Goldman School of Public Policy where a member of the Stanford faculty was on the panel. The dean of the Goldman school presented a blue and gold Cal Big Game tie to the member of the Stanford faculty and had him put it on. The Cal audience went crazy. Note: Golman is the top public policy school in the Nation whether public or private.
beelzebear
I don't know who wrote this, but it's on reddit. It covers from 1893 to current, including 1991 when some Cal guys changed the signs on Hwy 101 to Stanfurd. Good stuff.

LINK: Historic breakdown of Cal-Stanfurd rivalry and all the pranks involved
BearBoarBlarney
68great;842491141 said:

And after the game was clearly a blow out stanfurd continued to pour on the heat with a passing attack that was meant to set the record for greatest margin of victory.

Yes, Coach David Smug decided it would be good sport to have his QB throw for a TD with under 2 minutes left in the 2013 Big Game and with Stanford leading by 43.

Next time you hear the idiot talking heads employed by ESPN or the Pac12 Network talking about what a "class act" David Shaw is and how he "does it right way," remember that 2013 game.
beeasyed
going4roses;842491129 said:

one of your best posts ever

yours as well! :beer:
Big C
Do we still have a Hall of Fame for posts? Was it called "Classic Posts"? I nominate this one...

510Bear
BearBoarBlarney;842491156 said:

Yes, Coach David Smug decided it would be good sport to have his QB throw for a TD with under 2 minutes left in the 2013 Big Game and with Stanford leading by 43.

Next time you hear the idiot talking heads employed by ESPN or the Pac12 Network talking about what a "class act" David Shaw is and how he "does it right way," remember that 2013 game.

The shoe's been on the other foot during the Tedford years (2004 and 2006 Big Games), and I'm sure we were all rooting for the Bears to put up a huge score on furd those years, but not by passing with 2 minutes to go and not by cheap-shotting the furd QB.

Those were pretty lame things to do, though to be fair, I wouldn't label Shaw or any coach based on one day.
GranadaHillsBear
Well done boarbearblarney.

BTW, people can you please edit before replying with the entire previous message? It's murder on those of us on mobile and having to do all that scrolling!
Big C
GranadaHillsBear;842491196 said:

BTW, people can you please edit before replying with the entire previous message? It's murder on those of us on mobile and having to do all that scrolling!

Thanks for the tip... it never occurred to me. Wow, the "monster thread" over on the basketball board must be "murder with special circumstances" (for mobile)!
DangerBear
Big C_Cal;842491287 said:

Thanks for the tip... it never occurred to me. Wow, the "monster thread" over on the basketball board must be "murder with special circumstances"!

Murder with gigantic photos of asses
FCBear
I think spelling Stanford "Stanfurd" is f**k ass stupid but BBB nailed it....and Stanford was my bitch ass safety school....
Calfans
OldenBear;842491095 said:

and of course, the famous 'Stanfurd Ruggers of 2001'. Search the net for an audio file, and I'm sure others will fill in the glorious history of Furd rugby, oh those noble sons of Leland.

I made a web page all about The Scrum Axe of 2001. http://bearinsider.com/links/stanfurd/rugby/scrumaxe2001.html

Direct link to the mp3 http://www.bearinsider.com/links/stanfurd/rugby/Ode_to_Stanfurd_Ruggers.mp3
dimitrig
GranadaHillsBear;842491196 said:

You need a better phone! LOL!
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.