Photo by Al Sermeno / KLC Photos

Long Live Bryce Turner

November 16, 2019
2,492

Last January, the Cal family lost a member when Bryce Turner passed away at the age of 20. Bryce had just completed his second season as a defensive back with the Cal football team. A Southern California native, Cal will honor Bryce and welcome his family to California Memorial Stadium for Saturday's game against USC. Traveon Beck‍, a senior defensive back and Bryce's friend since the seventh grade, wrote this tribute to his longtime friend.

```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
 
Finding the words to describe Bryce Turner isn't easy, but I know he was and always will be my best friend.

Since I met BT in seventh grade, it has been nothing but great vibes and nonstop laughter. I didn't know that we would eventually follow each other to St. John Bosco High School, but I knew we had an instant connection that lasted from middle school to high school to college.

Day in and day out, Bryce always had a smile on his face. He loved to joke around. He was always able to make himself laugh throughout the day.
 
Whether it was messing up certain coverages or us getting in trouble for doing who knows what, he would always just laugh himself out of the situation. He was always messing with me about being late,  but that's how you knew he cared. He was always making everyone else around him laugh.
 
However, Bryce also was the type to stand up for others. He would always be ready to have anybody's back if he felt like they were being disrespected. Bryce always stood his ground. He had the heart of a warrior. This is why I loved every second that I was around him and one of the reasons we were able to stay friends for so long.
 
On Bryce's first day at Cal, after transferring from Long Beach City College, I gave him the biggest hug because I knew I had my boy back with me. I knew things were going to be great with him by my side. We would talk for hours about so many different things while we did homework or played video games. I knew I could talk about anything with him.  We'd go to various events around campus, just to explore and meet new people.

calbears.com


 
Bryce was a true brother to me. He was one of the best people that has ever come into my life. I'll never forget my dawg, BT. We had so many similarities; I felt like we were literally the same person.
 
Every game, I write #29 on my wrist tape. I'll always rock that number for Bryce. I love and I miss Bryce so much, but I know he is in a better place now watching over all of us.
 
Long Live Bryce Turner!

calbears.com
Cal DBs

 

Tags: Traveon Beck
Discussion from...

Long Live Bryce Turner

2,254 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 23 days ago by LateHit
MoragaBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
A nice tribute from Traveon Beck to former Cal DB Bryce Turner, who passed away tragically and unexpectedly last January while working out back home in LA.

Really nice that Bryce and his family will be honored at tonight's Joe Roth Memorial Game.
KoreAmBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Great job Traveon. RIP Bryce.
Sebastabear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
That was lovely. Thanks for sharing it.
glutton
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The U$C band should be banned from Memorial next time the Trojans visit Berkeley for their classless stunt of playing over the entire Bryce Turner tribute. I'm not buying their tweeted apology claiming that they "inadvertently" played during the tribute; their director was well-aware that they were not supposed to be playing then.
RIP Bryce.
Sebastabear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
glutton said:

The U$C band should be banned from Memorial next time the Trojans visit Berkeley for their classless stunt of playing over the entire Bryce Turner tribute. I'm not buying their tweeted apology claiming that they "inadvertently" played during the tribute; their director was well-aware that they were not supposed to be playing then.
RIP Bryce.
It's bull***** They did the same thing during the Joe Roth tribute itself a few years back. Why are they allowed in our stadium? What is it going to take to make us say enough is enough? Ban them.
chazzed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Rest in peace, young Turner.
Big C
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sebastabear said:

glutton said:

The U$C band should be banned from Memorial next time the Trojans visit Berkeley for their classless stunt of playing over the entire Bryce Turner tribute. I'm not buying their tweeted apology claiming that they "inadvertently" played during the tribute; their director was well-aware that they were not supposed to be playing then.
RIP Bryce.
It's bull***** They did the same thing during the Joe Roth tribute itself a few years back. Why are they allowed in our stadium? What is it going to take to make us say enough is enough? Ban them.
I usually love U$C's band because they soooo personify U$C, but, if they're gonna do s_ _ _ like that (and they always have), yeah, get them gone. I think I wrote on another thread that they should keep them in the stadium to continue to represent their school as they do, but no.
LateHit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
No one wants to vilify that repugnant, arrogant band any more than I do. Stolen film music as school fight songs.
Old man on a ladder cueing endless 10 second riffs.
But has it been established that the marketing/rally committee/game day managers told them in advance?
Because, if not, the blame lies substantially on our side.
They were doing their usual pissing on everything except the national anthem routine when the Bryce Turner segment happened.
If there was one person involved with this who has spent five minutes at any $c game and did not anticipate this - blame yourself.
There have been numerous basketball and football game experience threads.
Rude yellow-jacket staff. Deafening volumes. Thousands of dusty, dirty benches at games. Bad, generic music during time outs instead of our band. Having to confront people in seats that we paid for.
One can only conclude that those who are responsible are incredibly inexperienced, indifferent, incompetent or clueless.
Can the game day people find someone who has managed a paper route or organized a yard sale to start thinking ahead and anticipating some of these issues?
Does it have to be 99% reactive?
"I seen it at a Red Sox game - it should work here!"

Sebastabear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
LateHit said:

No one wants to vilify that repugnant, arrogant band any more than I do. Stolen film music as school fight songs.
Old man on a ladder cueing endless 10 second riffs.
But has it been established that the marketing/rally committee/game day managers told them in advance?
Because, if not, the blame lies substantially on our side.
They were doing their usual pissing on everything except the national anthem routine when the Bryce Turner segment happened.
If there was one person involved with this who has spent five minutes at any $c game and did not anticipate this - blame yourself.
There have been numerous basketball and football game experience threads.
Rude yellow-jacket staff. Deafening volumes. Thousands of dusty, dirty benches at games. Bad, generic music during time outs instead of our band. Having to confront people in seats that we paid for.
One can only conclude that those who are responsible are incredibly inexperienced, indifferent, incompetent or clueless.
Can the game day people find someone who has managed a paper route or organized a yard sale to start thinking ahead and anticipating some of these issues?
Does it have to be 99% reactive?
"I seen it at a Red Sox game - it should work here!"


I'm sorry, but bull***** They did the same thing over the Joe Roth tribute; they also "apologized" there. They've basically played over every moment of silence or tribute to a fallen hero we've ever had. And even if Cal didn't lift a finger, the tribute was well publicized before the game. Moreover SC didn't cut short one note while it was going on and you can't tell me they didn't damn well know it was happening, if not at the beginning of the tribute then by the end. I'm addition to that final straw, the bands just played over each other all game long. It was cacophonous. There was no taking turns or anything like that. Again, I blame SC. They have never allowed another band to play a note without striking up their own "song" (and I use that term loosely because honestly it's more psychological warfare than anything resembling music). It was just a wall of noise all game long. They need to go and they can't come back until they can at least approximate civilized behavior for 3 1/2 hours.
Sebastabear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sebastabear said:

LateHit said:

No one wants to vilify that repugnant, arrogant band any more than I do. Stolen film music as school fight songs.
Old man on a ladder cueing endless 10 second riffs.
But has it been established that the marketing/rally committee/game day managers told them in advance?
Because, if not, the blame lies substantially on our side.
They were doing their usual pissing on everything except the national anthem routine when the Bryce Turner segment happened.
If there was one person involved with this who has spent five minutes at any $c game and did not anticipate this - blame yourself.
There have been numerous basketball and football game experience threads.
Rude yellow-jacket staff. Deafening volumes. Thousands of dusty, dirty benches at games. Bad, generic music during time outs instead of our band. Having to confront people in seats that we paid for.
One can only conclude that those who are responsible are incredibly inexperienced, indifferent, incompetent or clueless.
Can the game day people find someone who has managed a paper route or organized a yard sale to start thinking ahead and anticipating some of these issues?
Does it have to be 99% reactive?
"I seen it at a Red Sox game - it should work here!"


I'm sorry, but bull***** They did the same thing over the Joe Roth tribute; they also "apologized" there. They've basically played over every moment of silence or tribute to a fallen hero we've ever had. And even if Cal didn't lift a finger, the tribute was well publicized before the game. Moreover SC didn't cut short one note while it was going on and you can't tell me they didn't damn well know it was happening, if not at the beginning of the tribute then by the end. I'm addition to that final straw, the bands just played over each other all game long. It was cacophonous. There was no taking turns or anything like that. Again, I blame SC. They have never allowed another band to play a note without striking up their own "song" (and I use that term loosely because honestly it's more psychological warfare than anything resembling music). It was just a wall of noise all game long. They need to go and they can't come back until they can at least approximate civilized behavior for 3 1/2 hours.
Oh and note the tweets from Matt Ha (former micman) repeated in this article noting that the SC band was given instructions several times on the internal feed during Bryce's tribute to stop playing and they just ignored them. They knew exactly what they were doing. Unbelievable.

https://www.californiagoldenblogs.com/2019/11/17/20968895/california-golden-bears-usc-trojans-garbers-rector-tattersall-brown-jr-falaniko-bryce-turner-band
MoragaBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Sebastabear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
MoragaBear said:


Great minds think alike. Even for SC this game was a new low.
LateHit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
"Game producer telling them repeatedly on the internal feed"
So, yes, no one on our side had the experience or common sense to anticipate that this might happen. Everyone on this board would have thought about it AHEAD of time.
I guess the "game producer" was too worried about making sure we had a 39 year-old AC/DC track ready to go on the next third down. THAT has certainly proved to be helpful.
If you know someone has a half-century history of insulting behavior, feel free to assume it will happen again.
Feel free to take steps to avoid it.
Feel free to do your job.
Sebastabear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
LateHit said:

"Game producer telling them repeatedly on the internal feed"
So, yes, no one on our side had the experience or common sense to anticipate that this might happen. Everyone on this board would have thought about it AHEAD of time.
I guess the "game producer" was too worried about making sure we had a 39 year-old AC/DC track ready to go on the next third down. THAT has certainly proved to be helpful.
If you know someone has a half-century history of insulting behavior, feel free to assume it will happen again.
Feel free to take steps to avoid it.
Feel free to do your job.
My understanding (having asked) is that Cal did tell them of the tribute ahead of time. Cal then yelled over the feed that the tribute was happening and to stop playing and they ignored that too. But if you mean we should have preemptively banned them from the stadium then we wholly agree. We've seen enough and this is the final straw. I think their band can make other plans for our game in 2021.
KoreAmBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
LateHit said:

"Game producer telling them repeatedly on the internal feed"
So, yes, no one on our side had the experience or common sense to anticipate that this might happen. Everyone on this board would have thought about it AHEAD of time.
I guess the "game producer" was too worried about making sure we had a 39 year-old AC/DC track ready to go on the next third down. THAT has certainly proved to be helpful.
If you know someone has a half-century history of insulting behavior, feel free to assume it will happen again.
Feel free to take steps to avoid it.
Feel free to do your job.


Would agree if you know that a memo to SC wasn't issued in advance.
LunchTime
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I hate that this thread is about SC. But... Cal should suspend USC in 2021 for playing over the tribute. We should tell them December 2020.

It's beyond classless. Well beyond.

Anyway, I remember the 7th grade linking between those two from a story about our D last year iirc. What a hole that guy left. The number of people on the field showed how many people he impacted.

I am glad we recognized him and his contribution in other's lives.
LateHit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If someone on our side can prove that the director/manager of their band was given prior notice, then I agree 100% that they get excluded from the next game in Berkeley.
Norte Dame did it to the furd after their edgy, ironic, wacky, oh-so-irreverent halftime show about the potato famine.
NeverOddOrEven
How long do you want to ignore this user?
LateHit said:

If someone on our side can prove that the director/manager of their band was given prior notice, then I agree 100% that they get excluded from the next game in Berkeley.
Norte Dame did it to the furd after their edgy, ironic, wacky, oh-so-irreverent halftime show about the potato famine.


Oh shut it with the "if it can be proven" crap. Do you really hate Cal more than $C like it seems like you do from this thread? Why are you so intent on being an apologist for them? Giving them the benefit of the doubt? Oh please! If the shoe fits...

In the words of 365Bear, "Screw SC."
LateHit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I am interested to know what actually happened. I said zero positive things about $c. I never have - unless they beat the furd.
There are numerous examples from numerous sources on this board about multiple athletic facilities that our publicity/game management people do a poor job.
Page 1 of 1
 
×
Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.