Story Poster
Photo by calbears.com
Cal Football

2022 Cal Football Schedule Announced

December 16, 2021
3,941

SAN FRANCISCO – Cal's 2022 football schedule will feature seven home games, highlighted by the 125th Big Game on Nov. 19, plus a trip to Notre Dame to face the Fighting Irish for the first time in 55 years on Sept. 17. The Pac-12 announced the entire schedule of games for all 12 conference schools on Thursday.

Cal will play three of its first four games at home and opens the season by hosting UC Davis (Sept. 3) and UNLV (Sept. 10) in non-conference contests before welcoming Arizona for the Bears' Pac-12 opener Sept. 24. After nearly a month on the road, Cal returns to FTX Field at California Memorial Stadium to play four of its final six regular-season games at home against Washington (Oct. 22), Oregon (Oct. 29), Stanford and UCLA (Fri., Nov. 25) for the team's annual Joe Roth Game and Senior Day.

In addition to the Notre Dame trip, Cal will travel to Pac-12 opponents Washington State (Oct. 1), Colorado (Oct. 15), USC (Nov. 5) and Oregon State (Nov. 12).

The Pac-12 Championship Game televised by FOX will be held at Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas on Fri., Dec. 3.

Cal will have a single bye following its road contest at Washington State and before the Bears visit Colorado.

All kickoff times and television broadcast networks will be announced at later dates.

Visit CalBears.com/tickets or call (800) GO-BEARS (press extension 1) for information on Cal football tickets. Season-ticket renewals will begin in January.
 
2022 Cal Football Schedule
Day, Date – Opponent (TV)
Sat., Sept. 3 – UC Davis
Sat., Sept. 10 – UNLV
Sat., Sept. 17 – at Notre Dame
Sat., Sept. 24 – Arizona*
Sat., Oct. 1 – at Washington State*
Sat., Oct. 8 – Bye
Sat., Oct. 15 – at Colorado*
Sat., Oct. 22 – Washington*
Sat., Oct. 29 – Oregon*
Sat., Nov. 5 – at USC*
Sat., Nov. 12 – at Oregon State*
Sat., Nov. 19 – Stanford*+
Fri., Nov. 25 – UCLA*^!
Fri., Dec. 2 – Pac-12 Championship Game (FOX)**
Home Games In Bold At FTX Field At California Memorial Stadium; *Pac-12 Game; +125th Big Game; ^Joe Roth Game; !Senior Day; **At Allegiant Stadium, Las Vegas, NV; Kickoff Times And Television Broadcast Networks Unless Noted To Be Announced At Later Dates

Discussion from...

2022 Cal Football Schedule Announced

3,087 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 21 days ago by Bear8
OdontoBear66
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Great schedule. Get that team at altitude after the bye week, before Colorado to take that advantage away.

All big boys at home except U$C....Meaning conference....ND should be a good Cal fan roadie.
westcoast101
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Seems like a fairly reasonable schedule overall.
Rushinbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Name one game that we will be out of. Even ND, with new coach, early in the season, will not be a cinch.
calumnus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Rushinbear said:

Name one game that we will be out of. Even ND, with new coach, early in the season, will not be a cinch.


There are a lot of unknowns right now, but if we field a team only somewhat improved from this year and the rest of the conference stays about the same, this schedule is set up for a really nice season.
bearsandgiants
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If we don't go undefeated, fire Wilcox.
Bobodeluxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bearsandgiants said:

If we don't go undefeated, fire Wilcox.
Experienced O line, tremendous runners and receivers, loaded with future All PAC-12 defenders!

Rose Bowl, or even SUPER BOWL!!!!!

80Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Who is the quarterback?
Blueblood
How long do you want to ignore this user?
80Bear said:

Who is the quarterback?
You'll know very soon. He is flying in now for Spring practice!.
JB was a Chieftain
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Where will Notre Dame be over ranked when we play them?
fat_slice
How long do you want to ignore this user?
calumnus said:

Rushinbear said:

Name one game that we will be out of. Even ND, with new coach, early in the season, will not be a cinch.


There are a lot of unknowns right now, but if we field a team only somewhat improved from this year and the rest of the conference stays about the same, this schedule is set up for a really nice season.


Oh lord - the eternal hope and optimism of Cal fans is starting even earlier than normal this year. The "next year hope" disease has plagued us for half a century with no signs of letting down. Tune in early October for our annual "dose of reality," calls for firings, and just missing out on a low level bowl game.
BearForce2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
fat_slice said:


Oh lord - the eternal hope and optimism of Cal fans is starting even earlier than normal this year. The "next year hope" disease has plagued us for half a century with no signs of letting down. Tune in early October for our annual "dose of reality," calls for firings, and just missing out on a low level bowl game.

How about this then? 4-6 with 2 games cancelled due to Covid.
heartofthebear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
JB was a Chieftain said:

Where will Notre Dame be over ranked when we play them?
I don't know but Cal will find out what a real offensive and defensive line looks like.
fat_slice
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BearForce2 said:

fat_slice said:


Oh lord - the eternal hope and optimism of Cal fans is starting even earlier than normal this year. The "next year hope" disease has plagued us for half a century with no signs of letting down. Tune in early October for our annual "dose of reality," calls for firings, and just missing out on a low level bowl game.

How about this then? 4-6 with 2 games cancelled due to Covid.


Now we are talking. All the sports writers had us at 6-6 for this year and most on this board had us at 8+ wins.

4-6 with covid still impacting us sounds entirely plausible. Anyone else for realistic predictions? I'm more optimistic and feel like 0 games impacted by covid but breaking in a new mediocre QB leaves us at 5-7 and another bowl-less year.
eabandit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm thinking we might go 20-0 next year. we'll probably be asked to fill in games for other teams that drop out due to covid. I think we've clinched the rose bowl already but, like the other poster said, the real question is if we'll make it to the super bowl. Plummer vs. Brady in the 2023 super bowl will be a game for the ages!
calumnus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
fat_slice said:

calumnus said:

Rushinbear said:

Name one game that we will be out of. Even ND, with new coach, early in the season, will not be a cinch.


There are a lot of unknowns right now, but if we field a team only somewhat improved from this year and the rest of the conference stays about the same, this schedule is set up for a really nice season.


Oh lord - the eternal hope and optimism of Cal fans is starting even earlier than normal this year. The "next year hope" disease has plagued us for half a century with no signs of letting down. Tune in early October for our annual "dose of reality," calls for firings, and just missing out on a low level bowl game.


Note I said "if we are only somewhat improved and the rest of the conference stays the same" then the schedule sets up for a nice season. As I said, there are two many variables right now to predict that we will be improved or the conference will stay the same.

Another scenario is we again lose games to patsie teams we should beat early on as we are breaking in a new QB and "we are keeping it simple" (ie predictable, vanilla playcalling), then as we improve we still lose games to the traditional powers that have also had all season to improve, but are breaking in better players with better coaching.

I said before this season that I could see it swinging either way, and I think we saw that bear out. This coming season is even more uncertain. Just too many unknowns at this point.
wifeisafurd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Geez guys, might want to see what everyone's rosters look like before prognostications?
KenBurnski
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Circle that AZ game. Nobody knocks us out of a bowl that probably gets Covid cancelled anyways and gets away with it.
GoOskie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wow. That's a nice home schedule. Hopefully the OL gets better and we find a good QB.
calumnus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
GoOskie said:

Wow. That's a nice home schedule. Hopefully the OL gets better and we find a good QB.


Exactly. Two big unknowns for next year.
89Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
calumnus said:

fat_slice said:

calumnus said:

Rushinbear said:

Name one game that we will be out of. Even ND, with new coach, early in the season, will not be a cinch.


There are a lot of unknowns right now, but if we field a team only somewhat improved from this year and the rest of the conference stays about the same, this schedule is set up for a really nice season.


Oh lord - the eternal hope and optimism of Cal fans is starting even earlier than normal this year. The "next year hope" disease has plagued us for half a century with no signs of letting down. Tune in early October for our annual "dose of reality," calls for firings, and just missing out on a low level bowl game.


Note I said "if we are only somewhat improved and the rest of the conference stays the same" then the schedule sets up for a nice season. As I said, there are two many variables right now to predict that we will be improved or the conference will stay the same.

Another scenario is we again lose games to patsie teams we should beat early on as we are breaking in a new QB and "we are keeping it simple" (ie predictable, vanilla playcalling), then as we improve we still lose games to the traditional powers that have also had all season to improve, but are breaking in better players with better coaching.

I said before this season that I could see it swinging either way, and I think we saw that bear out. This coming season is even more uncertain. Just too many unknowns at this point.
Well if the "new QB" is Plummer at least he is not completely untested. He has thrown almost 500 passes for a Big Ten team. And he will have had spring and fall camp here. I think if he wins the job, he should be ready to roll in game 1.
Bear8
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Don't know much about Plummer, but I hope he's as accurate and has as quick a release as DeLaura at WSU. I hope he throws hard like Chance Nolan at OSU. I hope he can run like Garbers and DTR. If it's Plummer or Millner, he will have some very nice alternatives at WR and RB. We simply need an offensive line that can not only grade the road but also pass protect in a superlative manner.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.