Story Poster
Photo by Twitter / Ashton Sanders
Cal Football

Bears' D Picks up a Big Addition in Cathedral DT Ashton Sanders

June 24, 2022
11,920

The Bears picked up one of the top defensive targets today with the announcement via Instagram live videa that 6-2/315 Cathedral (Los Angeles, CA) High School DT Ashton Sanders‍ chose Cal over finalist Wisconsin for his commitment.

The commitment follows two weeks after his official visit that only reaffirmed his strong feelings towards the program. Sanders Twitter videa went relatively viral following the visit.

As a junior, Sanders compiled 36 tackles, 14 tackles for loss, 16 QB hurries and 4 sacks in 8 games.

After his prior visit, Sanders talked about his close relationship with the Cal staff and his growing relationship with his future teammates.

“My relationship with the Cal staff is very close,” said Sanders. “Super close. Every person on the staff is really straightforward. What they show and give is what you’re going to get and receive. They’re not just doing that for recruiting. How they treat their recruits is the same way they treat their players.”

Coming up for a practice, Sanders was able to get a good feel for the vibe of the program and how the players interact with each other.

“My interactions with the players were great,” said Sanders. “I got really close with Ricky (Correia). I also got to see campus and how classes are there. I really liked it and how they split up a 200-person class into smaller groups to give more personal teaching. I liked the bay area a lot, too. It’s a pretty low-key city. I love how green it is, too.”

Sanders is clear what he’s looking for beyond being a part of a successful program.

“I’m looking for a brotherhood, somewhere I can fit in very fast,” said Sanders. “Somewhere I can be accepted by a kicker, a quarterback or anyone on the team can be your best friend. I really get that family vibe at Cal and from the coaches.”

Besides Cal and Wisconsin, Sanders also held offers from Notre Dame, Washington, Utah and more.

Sanders joins fellow ‘23 commits CB Sailasa Vadrawale‍, MLB Cade Uluave‍ and safety RJ Jones‍ as part of Cal’s 2023 recruiting class.

Other stories:

4 Star OLB Purchase Impressed by Visit to Cal, Wrapping up OVs this Weekend

https://bearinsider.com/s/3178/bears-stay-local-with-commit-3-in-north-bay-db-vadrawale

http://instagr.am/p/CfNeTRcAhOF

Discussion from...

Bears' D Picks up a Big Addition in Cathedral DT Ashton Sanders

9,981 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by harebear
Goobear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ashton and family, welcome to Cal Football. Wishing you nothing but the best of success on and off the field! Go Bears!
LACalFan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Great addition!
eastcoastcal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
LETS RIDE
Efini
How long do you want to ignore this user?
tim94501
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaye… big things poppin!!! Go phantoms!!!!
CalBearinLA
How long do you want to ignore this user?
WELCOME TO CAL!
LawoftheBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Not to be inappropriate but Hellll Yeaaahhhh!!!!
Bearly Clad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Welcome to the California Family Ashton! We're excited to have you as a Golden Bear and we know you're gonna do big things on and off the field. Congratulations to you and your family on your 40-year decision!!

You tell the whole damn world this is Bear Territory
89Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This gentleman and his family are great additions. Really excited about this.
going4roses
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Awesome pickup

Welcome to the Fam

Go Bears
Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
DaveBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Welcome to the Cal family, Ashton. I look forward to following your Cal career. Go Bears!
KenBurnski
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Love him and don't think it will take him very long to become a fan favorite. Welcome!
Big C
How long do you want to ignore this user?

That's great to hear, Ashton: Welcome to the Cal Family! GO BEARS!!!
irvinebear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Welcome Ashton! Happy to have you as a Bear and can't wait to see you terrorize QBs in years to come!!
zorbarick
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What a great addition! Welcome to the family.
85Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Woo hoo! Pumped for this commitment! Welcome to the greatest public university in the world!
GoOoOoOoOoBears!
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Welcome to Cal, Ashton! We're so happy to have you. Congratulations!
rkt88edmo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Love to see the big man let the joy move him with the hat on. Welcome Ashton!
85Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My favorite part of the video (other than the commitment itself) was their dog coming in right as Ashton was about to reveal his choice. :-) Also love seeing that joy bubbling over from the young man. Looking forward to seeing him camp out in the opponents' backfield for the next few years.
MoragaBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
85Bear said:

My favorite part of the video (other than the commitment itself) was their dog coming in right as Ashton was about to reveal his choice. :-) Also love seeing that joy bubbling over from the young man. Looking forward to seeing him camp out in the opponents' backfield for the next few years.
Sparky obviously approved
Unit3IdaSproul
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Congrats Ashton! A great day to be a bear. Any chance we can get the dog as a walk-on?
91Cal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Love the passion, the verve, the character and the energy from Ashton and the whole family! Welcome all to the Cal family! Go Bears!

Also, love the little sister completely obscured by Ashton as he starts dancing, striding off camera…time to clear out when big bro starts dancing!
Jeff
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Awesome! What a great young man and terrific family!
heartofthebear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sanders and Saunders on the line. Lookin' forward to it.
Thanks for what you said about the staff, Ashton.
Family has been a consistent theme. Welcome to it.
You are going to love Berkeley.
FireFighterBest
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Incredible!! Welcome Champ and family!!
KenBurnski
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Tf? We didn't even start slow yet.

calumnus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
KenBurnski said:





That sucks.

NIL?

Hopefully he still ends up at Cal.
Econ141
How long do you want to ignore this user?
You could see this one coming a mile away. He committed right before the UCLA and USC move to the B1G and chose us over Wisconsin.

We are seeing the impact of realignment right now. I can tell you that RJ Jones will be the next guy to decommit.
Big C
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Sanders is a great player and a solid dude. Respect. When we put together a solid NIL package, win a bunch of games this fall and get accepted to our first choice of conferences, I hope he reconsiders!
Econ141
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Big C said:


Sanders is a great player and a solid dude. Respect. When we put together a solid NIL package, win a bunch of games this fall and get accepted to our first choice of conferences, I hope he reconsiders!


I think we need competent leadership for that to happen.

There are many schools that can provide you good education but only a select few that can do both football and academics. Berkeley doesn't have the passionate-about-football rich alumni that would successfully manage NIL.
KenBurnski
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Agreed. Immediately fell in love with his personality and would love for him to sign Bears.
calumnus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
fat_slice said:

Big C said:


Sanders is a great player and a solid dude. Respect. When we put together a solid NIL package, win a bunch of games this fall and get accepted to our first choice of conferences, I hope he reconsiders!


I think we need competent leadership for that to happen.

There are many schools that can provide you good education but only a select few that can do both football and academics. Berkeley doesn't have the passionate-about-football rich alumni that would successfully manage NIL.


We most likely have more rich alumni than any other school. We just need one to be passionate about football.
mbBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
fat_slice said:

You could see this one coming a mile away. He committed right before the UCLA and USC move to the B1G and chose us over Wisconsin.

We are seeing the impact of realignment right now. I can tell you that RJ Jones will be the next guy to decommit.
So, this is a direct coorelation to the alignment news? Grades not factor here?
Econ141
How long do you want to ignore this user?
mbBear said:

fat_slice said:

You could see this one coming a mile away. He committed right before the UCLA and USC move to the B1G and chose us over Wisconsin.

We are seeing the impact of realignment right now. I can tell you that RJ Jones will be the next guy to decommit.
So, this is a direct coorelation to the alignment news? Grades not factor here?


How we could spend so much time recruiting someone and not know he is an academic risk is beyond me. And what transpired in a couple months during the summer to push his academic qualifications to be inadmissible? And if there was something academic looming, why would he commit?
CAL4LIFE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Not surprising. Cal Football is easy to recruit against right now. Record, AD leadership, etc…, and that is especially true when another program wants their verbals.

Solution: Novel idea I know but start winning at a reasonable level and the poaching/deco's will diminish. If not, expect more.
Page 1 of 2
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.